TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

According to the permit that they filed (http://www.mvp.usace.army.mil/Portals/57/docs/regulatory/MN-Standard/2014004059P.pdf) it mentions "These new parking lots would allow for some development of the existing parking lots within the levee."

Does that mean that there is a good possibility of a coaster being added to the current guest parking lot? Perhaps the area that was coned off a while back. Here is a picture of the place that was coned off..

lotvf.thumb.png.d894bf5afa5262bf2e1e9da76dac1fb7.png

Does that mean that there is a good possibility of a coaster being added to the current guest parking lot? Perhaps the area that was coned off a while back. Here is a picture of the place that was coned off..

Honestly, I was thinking the exact same thing! if that land gets used for future expansion in addition to the site of Dinos Alive,that opens up a huge potential footprint for an invert.

And that footprint for a proposed waterpark lot looks like it would make up for the loss of parking in the front lot just fine, it's roughly the same size as that chunk of main lot we'd lose.

Having a roller coaster pushed out even further than 2017 is ridiculous. There has been some talk about Michigans Adventure being the next park to get a coaster (essentially ahead of us). I think this is nonsense. I believe that Michigans Adventure is going to be sold sometime in the near future, because CF has not spent any money on the place (Thunderhawk is a 18 year old used invert). One possible idea for Michigans Adventure would be to take our Excalibur and make it stand up, even though that would never happen. Michigans Adventure has also not put in a Planet/Camp Snoopy and Dinosaurs Alive like many other parks have. I think they realize that when they sell the park they would just have to take out that stuff or un-license it. I think they will leave it up for the new owners for a new coaster. With that being said, I think VF will get....

2016: Additional Parking Lot, B&M Invert in the Front as GateKeeper (Too risky in back with floods)

2017: Cedar Creek Flyers ride in Wild Thing Grass, Tube Slide Tower in SoakCity

2018: New Dining Options, Shows

2019: Dinosaurs Removed (We have to have them until end of 2018.) New Dark Ride

2020: New Carousel or New Flume

Lol were you dropped on your head? MIA has the highest profit margins in the chain. They literally do nothing to the park and it gets more guest every year and continues to make more profits. Even when they were looking to sell a couple parks in 2008 they didnt put MIA up for sale. Dont be jaded because you dont like the recent additions to VF and you believe VF is due for a coaster. Alot of cedar fair parks are. VF needs a better water park. I bet you anything that is there current focus. .02

p.s MIA hasn't built a new attraction in 2 years, and just some larson flyers before that. With it being there 60th Anniversary this year, I dont think a small coaster is out the question at all.

LOL, I knew YOU would have something to say about his post. MiA and VF aren't competing, idk why he would bring it up like that. Both parks are due for a coaster so it is not ridiculous at all for MIA to get a 2016 coaster, especially with all the evidence. About the parking lot coaster, I hope it they expand the park into that area they make it nicer than just a coaster over pavement. Maybe make a new midway where DA is now and have it feature a coaster, a flat and a store. Tear out the old pavement and plant grass. I feel like if they just built a coaster on the parking lot it would be weird and isolated from the park. Not too appealing either. Knowing this is Cedar Fair though, I think they know what they are doing.

Yea, I agree there not competing. There both due for new attractions. There the same parent company. I just found his bashing another park and ranting that they should sell it because of there rumored coaster to be funny. How often does the VF parking lot completely fill?

One possible idea for Michigans Adventure would be to take our Excalibur and make it stand up, even though that would never happen.

I am at a loss for words..

Anyway, I agree that the interest in dinosaurs is kind of at a high point right now with Jurassic World, which probably bought Dinosaurs Alive a few more years of operation and added profit. A new slide complex or two, additional water park infrastructure, new parking lot, new entrance, and a new access road. That all sounds like a 10+ million dollar investment. I'd say that that will take care of any chance of a coaster for the next 2-3 years, and it is probably money better spent. In Frazier we trust..

Yea, I agree there not competing. There both due for new attractions. There the same parent company. I just found his bashing another park and ranting that they should sell it because of there rumored coaster to be funny. How often does the VF parking lot completely fill?

I see the parking lot mostly full on most nice weekends, and occasionally nice weekdays.

I agree that the interest in dinosaurs is kind of at a high point right now with Jurassic World, which probably bought Dinosaurs Alive a few more years of operation and added profit.

With a lot of Hollywood speculators now anticipating a Jurassic World sequel, do you feel it's likely that Dinos Alive may be renewed to stay open through that eventual sequel's release?

With a lot of Hollywood speculators now anticipating a Jurassic World sequel, do you feel it's likely that Dinos Alive may be renewed to stay open through that eventual sequel's release?

I'd assume, like any other upcharge attraction, Dinosaurs Alive will last as long as it is meeting financial expectations.

Having a roller coaster pushed out even further than 2017 is ridiculous. There has been some talk about Michigans Adventure being the next park to get a coaster (essentially ahead of us). I think this is nonsense. I believe that Michigans Adventure is going to be sold sometime in the near future, because CF has not spent any money on the place (Thunderhawk is a 18 year old used invert). One possible idea for Michigans Adventure would be to take our Excalibur and make it stand up, even though that would never happen. Michigans Adventure has also not put in a Planet/Camp Snoopy and Dinosaurs Alive like many other parks have. I think they realize that when they sell the park they would just have to take out that stuff or un-license it. I think they will leave it up for the new owners for a new coaster.

Cedar Fair is not going to sell Michigan's Adventure anytime soon. MiA has one of the largest profit margins in the chain despite its small size, and as long as it's pulling in decent money, there's no need to sell it.

What numbers are you using? I thought CF doesn't release individual stats for parks

There was a very informative chart floating around about EBITDA of certain Cedar Fair parks, from some investor report. They revealed that MIA performs way better financially than you would guess. One thing I took away from those reports was that Valleyfair guests actually spend more per-guest in the park than just about all the other parks. People here really like to indulge in the booths, games etc. That may also be reflective of the popularity of the upcharge attractions like Dinos Alive, come to think of it.

I think Dino's alive would make a great place for kids to go on a field trip if you are learning about that kind of thing. Speaking of this, did any go to Dino's After Dark last year? I know they are doing it again this year but I'm curious about the experience.

I think Dino's alive would make a great place for kids to go on a field trip if you are learning about that kind of thing. Speaking of this, did any go to Dino's After Dark last year? I know they are doing it again this year but I'm curious about the experience.

I did it last year! I found it quite enjoyable. They'll give you a flashlight (or you can go without it, which I did) and you get smores. Since I'm a lover of Haunt but can easily be terrified, I decided I wouldn't use a flashlight and it was really creepy, but really fun. That experience was scarier for me than Dinoslaughter was because my friends kept trying to scare me and we started seeing lightening in the distance. But I say try it once if you want to, I enjoyed it! It really gave the Dino's a different feel, and I think I preferred it "After Dark".

I read on a post about Valleyfair removing the parks carrousel it won't happen I can see them doing a referbush on it along with Enterprise. Valleyfair could follow Six Flags Magic Mountain building Scream over a parking lot taking out a few spaces and what about all the extra land at the end of the main lot by the river where the open field is what's that space going to be used for?

I read on a post about Valleyfair removing the parks carrousel it won't happen I can see them doing a referbush on it along with Enterprise. Valleyfair could follow Six Flags Magic Mountain building Scream over a parking lot taking out a few spaces and what about all the extra land at the end of the main lot by the river where the open field is what's that space going to be used for?

If Valleyfair was to take away part of the current parking lot to make way for a coaster, I'm sure they would plant grass/trees underneath since Cedar Fair cares more about park appearance than Six Flags.

I read on a post about Valleyfair removing the parks carrousel it won't happen I can see them doing a referbush on it along with Enterprise.

When they do put in a dark ride on the amphitheater site, it would be nice to see a refurbishing of the carousel and Enterprise then as well. Would help make that part of the park feel really nice instead of like a "hurry-through" zone.

It's our 40th anniversary next year. When was the last time the carrousel got a refurbishing on it? I'd really like to see the Enterprise to. Red Wheel with white gondolas and red white blue new LED lights something like that and maybe a refurbishing on the Monster? I'm having a hard time thinking that the tilt a whirl and the scrambler both got a new look for the Route 76 but not the Enterprise. And the Looping Star Ship could use a new paint job but I see it beeing relocated somewhere else in the park for the water park expansion. Move the Looping Star Ship remove the volleyball courts relocate the enterance current soak city back were the gate is by Mad Mouse move the food truck different spot in the water park there you got room for another water park expansion. Also soak city needs to add more blue recliner matts for seating capacity the day I was there to try the new slide tower they were all full by noon 90 degree day. Maybe add a large area for just for recliner matts and giant umbrellas to.

Edited by ACES

I would like to see a huge slide tower with a tornado slide, a bowl slide, and a couple regular tube slides. Along with another wave pool. Also a huge water play structure with multiple kid slides, water guns, bridges, and a giant bucket that tips over unloading huge amounts of water to bystanders standing below!