TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

If it was going in the new area in back we'd see something juicy looking in the permit application.

Not necessarily. The permit application is to prep the land back there and lay down a parking lot. It is a federal request since it affects wetlands and a nature preserve. Once/if approved they don't need federal approval to build on that land once it is prepared. They could easily file a building permit with the city to build an attraction after the approval. I am not saying it will happen but it could. We will know in the next 75-80 days one way or another.

Looking at the permit application I got the impression they're only applying for permits to fill wetland for parking lots and roads. There's no mention at this time about filling additional wetlands for things like rides, buildings, and the like. If they want to build something on the parking lot later they can of course do that, but I'd expect it to be called out on the permit if they intended to do so at this time. The yellow highlighted area between the parking lot and the new perimeter road is not being filled (and thus is not build-able) at this time.

With this application though, they're definitely getting their priorities straight. They need to get the infrastructure in place for future growth before they can get the rides and attractions. Also, setting a precedent of filling in the wetlands on their property now will make it more likely that they can do more in the future. And the top priority is making sure that ehy have as much room as possible to expand. So getting the access road and new parking lots in place has to come first. If it puts off a coaster for another year, it's still worth it in the long run.

With this application though, they're definitely getting their priorities straight. They need to get the infrastructure in place for future growth before they can get the rides and attractions.

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner! Smart man...

I'd be happy with the next 2-3 years all focusing on the water park, new parking lot, new access road, and additional infrastructure upgrades. Lets not forget how the water park was overdue for massive upgrades for 15-20 years! Surprised it took them this long to realize that they were missing out on a great opportunity to draw people in with how popular the dells are among people from the Twin Cities area.

Then a new B&M invert or wing coaster to replace Dinosaurs Alive in 2019-2020.

Looking at the permit application I got the impression they're only applying for permits to fill wetland for parking lots and roads. There's no mention at this time about filling additional wetlands for things like rides, buildings, and the like. If they want to build something on the parking lot later they can of course do that, but I'd expect it to be called out on the permit if they intended to do so at this time. The yellow highlighted area between the parking lot and the new perimeter road is not being filled (and thus is not build-able) at this time.

What yellow area are you talking about? I am just talking about the land between the new proposed parking lot and the water park which Excalibur sits on now along with the current frontage road. You would not have to fill in any more wetlands in that space and they could add more water park attractions there.

There was a map posted a while ago that had the area highlighted in yellow north of the proposed waterpark parking lot and south and east of the new road that has been pointed out would be a good spot for a coaster.

They could indeed and probably will now of eventually expand the waterpark to the existing filled area east of the new parking lot. The line of questioning was if we were getting a new coaster. Both that and the parking lot wouldn't fit in any areas they've applied for permits to fill.

Savage/Prior Lake Hwy 13 & 42 area season pass holder twenty minutes away I normally visit the park a lot weekend 9:00am till about 1:00 more time on sun mon off. I spend about a hour on Renegade. I work nights get off work to ride Renegade for a while shinny new inverted Maybe the markings are further back were we can't see them. Parking lot I would say was 2/3 full around noon maybe we'll have a lot of people this summer I rode northern lights a chatted with a few people said they were from South Dakota visited Mall of America and Cedar Point said Valleyfair is a nice family park to visit but they also said they need a Banshee, Patriot or Raptor full sized inverted for the park. Thought I would share that.

I normally wear a black shirt blue jeans black sun glasses spot me walking around.

While I highly want a new coaster, I do not think Valleyfair will get one in 2016. I think that 2016 will be spent leveling the area, and working on making a great new place for our 2017 B&M Invert. I think that for the next 2 coasters that go (Excalibur and High Roller). I think that we will get a B&am Invert in 2017, and some other kind of roller coaster for High Roller. I think that a coaster similar to "Boomerang" at lots of Six Flags parks would do well. Remember, since High Roller is in Planet Snoopy, a more childish coaster should be there. For 2016, I think Valleyfair will get a Cedar Creek Flyers ride, like Dorney Park got this year, and many other CF parks are getting. I think that it will go in the lawn by Wild Thing. Another point to mention is that Valleyfair will eventually get a virtual shooting ride, like at Knotts and Canada's Wonderland. That would be a huge addition to Valleyfair, something potentially as big as a roller coaster.

Your kidding about removing High Roller for a Boomerang? That's a joke. High Roller was the first parks coaster and it's a classic they did a paint job a few year ago did some new re tracking the coaster this year is a lot smoother this yeasr. Will never happen. One thing Valleyfair can't remove any coasters they need to add some only one I see them demolishing is The Excalibur rumor for the soak city water park. I think screamscape is certain about Excalibur leaving and the rumor for Fury 325 they got that right will see if there right with Valleyfair. And Dorney Park removed Hercules for a new B&M floorless coaster Hydra The Revenge Valleyfair can do the same with Excalibur new B&M inverted.

Edited by ACES

Do any of you Valleyfair locals think the Screamscape rumor of Excalibur getting removed is looking like a reality? I know you can only take so much from Screamscape, but I've found that they are about 85-90% right. Sometimes it takes a while to have all the facts line up, but many lead back to their first assumptions. Part two of my question is, say that it is true, when in the year do they normally close down that section of the park, or are all rides (sans waterpark) running through the Haunt?

Since I'm in Columbus, Ohio, it's quite the venture to get up that way, and I have never been. But with my Platinum pass and dining plan, now is as good a time as any.

Sorry about the double post, but there is a new webcam on Valleyfair's website showing the construction of the permanent building for the Chateau Du Damne Haunt maze. Interesting.

image.thumb.jpg.a79867cb613480938700ff6ce471b0d7.jpg

So I went yesterday and I have a few things to note/say.

I normally don't like excalibur, but for some reason I had a lot of fun on it yesterday. My friend and I rode in the back cart 4 or 5 times before going back to the rest of the park.

The longest line in the park was for the new slides by a longshot (30-40 minutes) so I only went on the yellow looping one and I though it was pretty awesome.

The second longest line in the park was for the red power tower because there was only one tower operating. Anyone know why? Were they short on workers?

I don't know if what was said up there is true (they made high roller smoother), but high roller did feel really smooth. Also, the line was really long and a lot of people like high roller so it isn't going anywhere.

The overall visit was pretty good, but I did start to get bored towards the end and I only go about once a year.

High Roller is a very good fit for the park, a good back bone for PS, and the park will not be removing it soon. Just wondering what coaster name could "defeat excalibur" like Hydra to Hercules? If VF wants a new family coaster I would love something like Cheetah Hunt.

Yeah, I really don't see High Roller going away anytime soon. It fits in really well with Planet Snoopy (It is a lot of people's first "big" coaster), and it wouldn't free up that much space (being an out and back coaster).

It's also pretty popular, it was one of the only coasters with a wait last time I was there.

Do any of you Valleyfair locals think the Screamscape rumor of Excalibur getting removed is looking like a reality? I know you can only take so much from Screamscape, but I've found that they are about 85-90% right. Sometimes it takes a while to have all the facts line up, but many lead back to their first assumptions. Part two of my question is, say that it is true, when in the year do they normally close down that section of the park, or are all rides (sans waterpark) running through the Haunt?

Since I'm in Columbus, Ohio, it's quite the venture to get up that way, and I have never been. But with my Platinum pass and dining plan, now is as good a time as any.

I'd say it's an extremely good rumor. Valleyfair filed a permit application to the US Army Corp of Engineers that's on the Corp's web site. It clearly shows half of Excalibur designated as a "proposed road and parking area". Generally the middle of September they close the back of the park (Excalibur and Thunder Canyon).

I sure hope they build a great ride at Vallyfair. It's one of the parks that is on my list, but most of the coasters there seem generic and not worth the 10 hour drive.

I kinda hope that excaliber stays, as it actually looks like one of the more interesting coasters at the park.

Speaking of the length of lines at Valleyfair, these are the worst in my opinion (ranked in order).

1. Renegade

2. High Roller

3. Power Tower

4. Steel Venom

5. Thunder Canyon - On Some Days

Wild Thing normally runs pretty fast.

Speaking of the length of lines at Valleyfair, these are the worst in my opinion (ranked in order).

1. Renegade

2. High Roller

3. Power Tower

4. Steel Venom

For the most part, I agree, although I have had some agonizing wait times with the kids, waiting for ...... Mad Mouse.

1. Renegade

2. High Roller

3. Power Tower

4. Steel Venom

That's about right, although Xtreme Swing can also form some long lines.