TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Another idea is that rather than an exClusive direct entrance to Soak City (It's unlikely they'd ever make it a separate charge since they went away from that a Worlds of Fun), the new gate could lead to a widened and extended Excalibur / Thunder Canyon path. Beyond my conspiracy theory about making people walk by as many concessions stands as possible, that explains why they didn't move the Soak City entrance. It's possible even that they planned to early on since the concept art shows people using the path the the employee gate, then dropped it when they got a grander idea to build a new parking lot.

I don't think it's escaped management's notice how many people are traveling to Wisconsin Dells because they waterpark offering here are so incredibly pathetic. Valleyfair doesn't have to be as good as WI Dells, just good enough to people are tempted not to travel.

I wonder if they have any plans for developing this yellow area I drew in because it seems like they're planning for the new employee access road to be longer than it needs to.

image.thumb.jpg.694ff824232b761b4c86af28e7f316f8.jpg

A few observations after seeing this new map for physical changes to Valleyfair.

1) Working with the Army Corp of Engineers on filing in wetlands or building a bigger water dike (hard to tell from the map) to add more land to the park for building means Cedar Fair is actually serious about VF being a growth park. I had my doubts, but not anymore. This is no small task and they would not be doing it unless they had plans for that land.

2) Land availability was one of VF's biggest issues for expansion and it looks like they are doing all they can to fix that even though they are next to a nature preserve.

3) Since they are doing all this to put in a parking lot in the back (which will be great for the waterpark) and moving the service road they can REALLY expand the water park now. With the service road out of the way and Excalibur's loading station gone, then you could possibly remove Hurricane and Panic Falls now. This would give them a lot of land to work with to make this a REAL waterpark and add in a Tornado with other new slides or water attractions. You don't do all this work, open up a new parking lot and leave the waterpark the same. The East side of the water park is all new now (2009 and younger attractions). It is time for the West side to get fixed and this new map certainly points to that.

4) Obviously Excalibur's days are numbered and it will be gone as most of us expected. The good news is when Cedar Fair reomves a coaster from a park, history tells us they usually replace it the following year or the year after that at the latest.

5) I think all this work puts finishing the water park a priority over a new roller coaster but one of those cannot be far behind then either due to the removal of Excalibur.

6) For those who want the Excalibur credit and don't have it yet better get to the park soon. My guess is they start removing it in August just based on the scope of this project.

My questions are (and please share your thoughts below):

- Do they keep Thunder Canyon and make it part of the waterpark? I think that would be great and it would see many more riders this way. But if they remove it then that just means more land to add other attractions.

- With a new parking lot in the back can they now remove some parking lot spaces up front to redesign the entrance and possibly add a coaster like at CP and Carowinds? I sure hope so.

- Or do they put in a new coaster in the 'yellow' area on VF15's map? It may now be possible.

With the service road moving back and Excalibur leaving this opens up so many possibilities for the park that were not possible before at all. This gets me excited to see what they do with it the next few years. Let the speculation begin!

Edited by RCjunkie

I read screamscape report on the removal of the Excaliburs and its last season possibly. I sure hope Valleyfair knows what they are doing by removing a coaster for a new parking lot for soak city and a new access road around the edge of the park and not replacing it with a new inverted and according to screamscape its going to be a very large water park expansion were Excalibur sits. But I'm getting excited about the news and don't forget about the new dark ride possibly to. With Cedar Points rumor B&M dive coaster and Canada's Wonderland expansion wonder if they will include Valleyfair as part of the capital expansion for the next two seasons. At least Valleyfair has a blue print figured out now.

Also with Thunder Canyon could they include that with the part of a water park expansion maybe add a theme water coaster or add a snake pit water slide package over Thunder Canyon?

image.thumb.jpg.6eb6723b6a85088ebacc7a5821e32c04.jpg

Will Thunder Canyon be included with the water park expansion maybe adding a theme water coaster over Thunder Canyon or a Snake Pit slide package like at Dorney Park go over Thunder Canyon make it a theme ride?

Edited by ACES

My guesses:

The Excalibur Memorial Walkway gets extended straight back to the parking lot and delineates the wet side to the south and the dry side to the north. A new coaster goes in the space to the north inside the road but west of Thunder Canyon.

Removing trees in the old section...almost seems like they're getting a head start on clearing that side for expansion. 2016 may be the water park sequel after all.

With the new expansion information about VF this statement is even more plausible and probable now.

I rode a few laps on Renegade this morning running great anyone who rides it look to the right there is a giant hill of dirt that's new this year I don't remember seeing that last year and I saw some workers down by Thunder Canyon this morning.

Keep the Thunder Cayon as part of the water park and update the que line with new LED lights and for the back of the park will need a new bigger rest room of course people are not going to want to walk up by Wild Thing to use a restroom and add a sit down splash bar like Cedar Point has at there soak city with TVs so adults can enjoy a cold beer and add a sit down air condition resturant for the back of the park .

image.thumb.jpg.7c4b2152b76e5ea9accbd8dfbcc7d13e.jpg

Do not remove Thunder Canyon keep it with the water park expansion it's the only thing left there lol

The current plan is to remove Excalibur next year to make way for a parking lot that could be used by season pass holders using Soak City. A further expansion could include moving Looping Star Ship to make way for another wave pool but this is not for sure yet. The CEO is banking on getting bang for his buck from the expansion of Soak City. This is phase 2 of a 3 phase plan for the water park. There are no plans for a coaster at this time, only the removal of Excalibur. They are looking at expanding the dyke to encompass the west side of the park (Thunder Canyon and where Excalibur is now), possibly in a couple years.

You nailed it djoles! After the information that was released today your parking lot 'prediction/speculation' is now true. I would have never thought they would put that much money into that area of the park and move the service road but now this will all be happening. Sorry to doubt you before but it seemed very unrealistic at the time so my apologies. Also, I would like to ask....what else do you know? Has your contact in the physical plant shared any more information with you?

Edited by RCjunkie

So a coaster for a parking lot seemed horrible to me at first, especially since I really like Excalibur, it's a classic! But this just seems to be the tip of the iceberg with an ginormous expansion to soak city and possibly a new back of the park coaster in the yellow area on the VF15 map. All this is possible because the obstacle of Excalibur was in the way. We can't judge yet, but as time goes on we will definitely get more clues and hints and see this whole mystery unravel before our eyes. It's definitely going to be an interesting process.

The current plan is to remove Excalibur next year to make way for a parking lot that could be used by season pass holders using Soak City. A further expansion could include moving Looping Star Ship to make way for another wave pool but this is not for sure yet. The CEO is banking on getting bang for his buck from the expansion of Soak City. This is phase 2 of a 3 phase plan for the water park. There are no plans for a coaster at this time, only the removal of Excalibur. They are looking at expanding the dyke to encompass the west side of the park (Thunder Canyon and where Excalibur is now), possibly in a couple years.

ok, wow! Dont mean to sound sarcastic here but without any proof i have a hard time believing any of this. First, why? Why remove a coaster to build a parking lot? I't would be very difficult to get a permit for it and you would have to build another entrance gate. Next, we dont need another wave pool. You said this is phase two of 3. What was one? Its been many years since the current wave pool. Next, I've personally heard several solid rumors of a new coaster at Valleyfair. And lastly, in order to build a new dike you have to give up land elsewhere or prove that expanding a dike wont increase flooding elsewhere. The hurdles that have to be jumped to build a new dike system are exceedingly difficult. Im not saying it cant be done but it would be very expensive to do!

Im all for healthy conversation but please dont come on this forum and throw out info like its set in stone. Is this your opinion or did you here it from someone?

Garyman6, what are your thoughts on this new expansion picture that was released? Does this not line up with your conversations with Dave Fraizer?

From the permit application they are asking to fill in wetlands. Since they can't replace them 2 for 1 on site they will pay into the "wetland bank". The new location for the park road is actually a very old, disused road grade (although I can't find it on historical topo maps), so the location was not arbitrary.

Wondering if the "new wave pool" rumor is actually an adult pool like Ocean's of Fun. It would be only steps away from where the kids are playing.

Restrooms- There are some in whatever they call the Red Garter Saloon nowadays, but I'm assuming some will be built with any new gate.

Edited by Mdcastle

I'd guess the parking lot will be it, considering the scope of the work. As for "just getting a parking lot" comment, it gets old really fast walking from the parking lot to the waterpark on a hot day, it's over a half mile from the typical spot in parking lot, and it's almost a prerequisite before anything else major happens.

What I'm hoping is that, like Carowinds, we would get a front entrance roller coaster in 2016 and water park expansion with the removal of an older coaster for 2017 EDIT: I just noticed that the Valleyfair website says Excalibur will close on September 14th for the season.

As discussed numerous times in this forum, I don't think the invert would be a front entrance coaster, we already have steel venom and part of wild thing close to the entrance so I doubt that will happen. But you never know, with the recent news a new spot for a coaster could be anywhere. As for Excalibur, It has said that on their website since spring, the back of the park always closes early due to Haunt....It says the same thing for Thunder Canyon.

No need to be condescending, man. None of us know what the new coaster will be, where it will be located, or when it will be built. Your opinion of what you think or hope to happen is just as invalid as mine.

I guess the main point of my post was more about Excalibur and it's possible demise. I'm aware that Valleyfair closes that section for haunt, and, actually, that was part of the reason I highlighted "for the season." To me that sounds like it's safe for another year or at least until the end of it's season. Valleyfair really doesn't NEED to put a notice like that up on their website, but the fact that they do says to me they wouldn't announce an earlier closing date for Excalibur this season.

Excalibur will be safe for the remainder of the season. They've got a ton of other work to do before they rip that coaster down

I'm excited about the possibility of the berm actually enclosing most of the property. That means that if they want to, they can have new coasters extend beyond the berm if they're designed like Renegade to be compatible with flooding; all they'd need within the berms are the stations and hardware/machinery. This really opens up the possibility for BIG coasters.

And with all that extra land now, even with a new parking lot the waterpark can triple in size and leave room for new coasters. And who knows, we may get a coaster over the new waterpark entrance.

Ahhhhh, I'm so excited to see what happens next!

I have no idea how much the new parking lots and new employee road will cost, but I think this means we shouldn't expect anything too major for 2016. Maybe they could get a small addition like Larson Flyers or some other small flat ride, but I don't think a second waterpark expansion or a new coaster are possibilities. I could be wrong though, they might surprise us.

no offense guys but Cedar Point is getting a massive coaster in 2016 and Canada's Wonderland 2017... Where do you fit in another massive coaster for Valleyfair? Both CP & CW have massive construction already.

According to the Sandusky Register, the Dive Coaster runs about 15 million. Now, after the retheming of the area, it'll be closer to 20. Still 10 less than GateKeeper. What Cedar Point is doing, isn't going to kill the budget at the rest of the parks, especially one that has been destined as a "growth park" similar to Carowinds.

The main thing is this project is a large investment that won't have a big impact right away, next season the road will probably just be expanded for the employee parking lot. Yes Valleyfair owns all of the land but they can't use it because it is designated wetlands they have to file a permit and to use it they basically have to pay double for wetland credits. This is just the first step in a much larger investment

I just still don't know how I feel about a waterpark parking lot for guests. The past few years, I haven't seen Valleyfair's main parking lot even half full. I understand it would be easier access for guests and they want to try the concept out here like they did at Kings Island but is it really worth the investment? I do like that yellow shaded area for a new coaster in that previous picture though.

I don't think they will have problems getting permits. Valleyfair owns all that wet land by Rendgade. They said there going to buy 4.5 acres of new land and with the removal of Excalibur are they going to use that money for scrap or I'd like them to sell the ride off maybe to another park like perhaps Michigans Adventure? How much money would they get for Excalibur? I would think they would start construction in diffetent phases I'm thinking by July will see the park getting more active lol. How long would it take to tear down Excalibur?

Garyman6 care to share your thoughts lol?

image.thumb.jpg.38a5821aab8fb54a1e2a361b4e478f87.jpg

Use thunder canyon as part of the water park expansion

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster. I'm from Sioux Falls, so Valleyfair is about the closest amusement to where I live, though I don't get there near as often as I would like.

It's sad to see that Excalibur is probably going goodbye. I wonder if it's actually possible to move Excalibur to a different location? But, based on what I've seen and read, it should open up a lot of possibilities. Especially if they're able to fill in the wetland area back there. Moving that service road is long overdue, that little tunnel was way too small. If they're actually able to fill in the wetland area by Excalibur and Thunder Canyon, maybe they could turn that area into a woodlands or river themed area making it a perfect area for a water monster dark ride.

Another coaster idea would be a coaster that has a station in the area behind High roller, but goes out over the main parking lot going over a redone tollbooth with the turn around in the area by the dorms.

Am I the only person who would like to see the train extended to reach other areas of the park?