TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

If Excalibur were gone, would anyone really notice? I'm thinking no.... Maybe they could sell it to a park in need. I don't know who would take it though.

But reflecting on Valleyfair's investments,

Dinos Alive= $3 mil

Route 76=$2 mil (i think?)

Waterpark additions= $6 mil....

If the park didn't make those investments, they'd have at least $11 mil to throw at a rollercoaster. But I think they made the right call in holding off a coaster and improving everything else. Valleyfair looks significantly better every year at this rate. When we do get a new coaster, the park will be that much better.

Hoping the waterpark additions will have a great ROI so we can see a major coaster addition in the next few years !

^

Yes, it can be a decent ride if you know how to ride it, but if the park is losing money by operating it like garyman6 says, then it only makes sense for them to remove it. At this point in time, Excalibur has basically run its course. I've never waited more than 10 minutes for it, it never runs its second train, and it always closes during Haunt. Plus, High Roller and Corkscrew have received some modifications in recent years, but Excalibur has gone untouched.

Also, for what it's worth, when I rode Excalibur on Saturday, I noticed only one Excalibur train was on the track. The other train's cars were still sitting off to the side.

I'm on board about removing and to retire Excalibur look at Corkscrew on a busy weekend two trains running sometimes the line is at the end of the que with a full station Corkscrew is more popular. In Excalibur they could keep the current station and remove the second que line for Thunder Canyon and make the B&M inverted go over Thunder Canyon and go use that land down by Renegade and use that land to the left of the Renegade lift hill and make the inverted lift go over Thunder Canyon flatten out the land were Excalibur sits my idea for a inverted or next use the Excalibur land for the water park expansion of maybe put a Wind Seeker in the back of the park.

Also what RCJunkie said about to sell the park didn't Cedar Fair wanted to try to sell some of its parks back in 2009 to reduce some of there debt. I thought I read an article in the star tribune about Cedar Fair wanting to sell: Valleyfair, California's Great America and Worlds of Fun but never happen. If they were going to sell Valleyfair maybe the new owners of Kennywood could pick them up or team up with Nickelodeon Universe Mall of America. I hope they don't sell Valleyfair because of platinum season pass holders with Cedar Point.

One thing I also would like Valleyfair to improve on if we have to wait eight or ten years for a new roller coaster how about adding some new flat rides every couple of years? I would like to see a Larson Flyers for next season.

^ I am on board with that plan, I like it. Except I think you will need to get rid of the Excalibur station also, it just probably will not work with a new coaster made by another manufacturer.

CF was trying to sell one or all three of the parks (VF, CGA and WOF) only to relieve the debt they acquired when buying the Paramount parks right before the recession. Once they were able to finally refinance their debt they pretty much took them off the market because they could afford the payments on that debt and wouldn't want to remove any revenue streams if they did not have too which is the case now.

Personally I hoping Herschend Family Entertainment (Dollywood, Silver Dollar City, etc.) was going to step and buy VF during that time. I like the way they manage their parks. But since they didn't I am glad they stayed with CF because they do have some nice parks which makes the platinum pass a great buy if your going to visit any of them beyond VF. And not that Six Flags would ever buy a park the size of VF I am glad they did not buy them either. Then again with SFGA only 5.5 hours away a SF season pass might have been a good buy too.

I think this was brought up before wayyyyy back, but what about removing Supercat? It never seems very popular and I think people walk right by it more often than not.

That ride's spot could be used for something new--I still want a proper Teacups, but that won't happen lol.

I think everyone agrees that Larson flyers would do well at VF. Anywhere they think to put them would probably work, except the very back of the park (invert, launcher or RMC plz). They're very photogenic and interesting to watch.

^

Yes, it can be a decent ride if you know how to ride it, but if the park is losing money by operating it like garyman6 says, then it only makes sense for them to remove it. At this point in time, Excalibur has basically run its course. I've never waited more than 10 minutes for it, it never runs its second train, and it always closes during Haunt. Plus, High Roller and Corkscrew have received some modifications in recent years, but Excalibur has gone untouched.

Also, for what it's worth, when I rode Excalibur on Saturday, I noticed only one Excalibur train was on the track. The other train's cars were still sitting off to the side.

They don't even need to put another train on because it was a walk on that day.

^

If I wasn't clear in first post, I meant to say that Excalibur's second train wasn't even on the transfer track. The second train's cars were all on the ground near the station.

I think this was brought up before wayyyyy back, but what about removing Supercat? It never seems very popular and I think people walk right by it more often than not.

That ride's spot could be used for something new--I still want a proper Teacups, but that won't happen lol.

I think everyone agrees that Larson flyers would do well at VF. Anywhere they think to put them would probably work, except the very back of the park (invert, launcher or RMC plz). They're very photogenic and interesting to watch.

I don't pay attention to SuperCat very much, but it might get more riders if it were in a better area of the park.

I think Larson Flyers are definitely going to come to the park sometime in the next 3 years. It would probably fit in best in Planet Snoopy, but there's a lot more open space near Route 76.

Just received a package from eBay yesterday and I thought it would be worth sharing If anyone knows what years these brochures/maps are it would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0337.thumb.jpg.4e2e3e9f3fc8e9cf3f8deab84e6951db.jpg

Old general information packet (not sure what year)

1925152274_IMG_0334(1).thumb.jpg.4fdbb77e811ffe7df47bfc19287a167b.jpg

Entertainment/Park Policy brochure (no year listed either)

1701543752_IMG_0335(2).thumb.jpg.6ab32b40c3e3eae0597f8428ed4b34a1.jpg

Welcome Brochure (no year listed)

IMG_0339.thumb.jpg.300b68ecbc7bb9bc960815c5f764844b.jpg

The main attraction of the package, a 1980's Valleyfair Map! (No year listed)

IMG_0336.thumb.JPG.22b38f291fcd0e98d1df578d45ab7e21.JPG

Accordion styled photo album postcard (no date listed but contains photos of wild rails and the nostalgic trolley)

IMG_0338.thumb.JPG.98991c925a172bf45c5328c4bdd1aa38.JPG

1990 Entertainment Schedule/ photo brochure

Excalibur is a decent ride if you know where to sit.

I actually heard my back crack on the ride today, and I know how to ride the thing. I like the ride, but I understand why it's not popular.

My trip report:

I went on Sunday and today. I forgot my camera at home today, which was when I planned on taking the most pictures, so this will be a picture-less trip report (Sorry guys!)

Sunday- Run and Ride Race.

I volunteered for the event and had a great time despite the heavy rain and wind. Most of the rain got out of its system by 9:30-ish, so rain wasn't a real problem.

I took my first ride on Steel Venom this day. I was always terrified by it but I finally faced my fear and enjoyed it. I'm the only one in my family that enjoys it, though. It was rougher than Renegade on Sunday, which didn't make for a very good ride experience. I'm thinking I just got a bad seat.

Renegade was a bit rougher on Sunday than it should have been.

High Roller's retracking made this ride smoother than most of the rides at the park.

Tuesday- Math and Science day

I was fortunate enough to go to this event and I loved it! I got to take an accelerometer (Home-made with duct tape and all that cool stuff) on the rides to really geek out. Don't worry, it was within park rules today.

The Physics Force team did a really good job! They were entertaining, fun, and educational. It was awesome.

High Roller was smooth, retracking really paid off.

Steel Venom was a lot smoother than it was on Sunday.

Wild Thing is way better with a full train than with a mostly empty one. There was one member of the crew that held them back, but when this person was in the control booth they were dispatching trains before the other train came into the brake run.

Renegade was running really smoothly. I saw one of the members from the old crew, which is a good thing!

I had to ride Excalibur 4 times because it was so bumpy I couldn't read the accelerometer! I heard my back crack on the last run, which probably isn't good for my age. The crew was incredible, so make sure to ride it.

I saw water running on the slides. There was a lot of people in the waterpark, must have been doing a ton of pre-opening preperations.

Somehow the Sindwinder Burrito ran out of rice.

Since it was mostly school groups at the park, everyone left at about 3, leaving walk-ons to everything. I got a private ride on Power Tower, and I got re-rides on Wild Thing, Extreme Swing, Power Tower, Renegade, and Excalibur. I probably could have gotten a re-ride on Steel Venom, but my family doesn't really like the ride.

Mad Mouse opened late.

I saw the third tower on Power Tower testing, so that's a good thing (I didn't see it run last year).

Sorry for the lack of pictures.

I saw the third tower on Power Tower testing, so that's a good thing (I didn't see it run last year).

Yeah, our middle tower is giving us issues. It stops just short of the brakes at the top every time. At least we have another Turbo Drop!

Does anyone think Valleyfair should have new ownership and have a Herchend Family Entertainment take over did anyone see what the rumor coaster for Dollywood is getting in 2016 possible Rocky Mountain launch wooden coaster? Maybe Valleyfair could do first of its kind a B&M launch inverted coaster in the back of the park were Excalibur sits and once the dinasours alive is up add a B&M wing coaster or dive coaster in front of the park.

Edited by ACES

I was thinking about this today. Chickie and Pete's opened last year in the back of the park. This is a major chain restaurant. I went there once to eat and it was almost completely empty. It was also expensive which I should not be surprised at. This year the exterior of the building got a complete new paint job and it looks great. Here is my question. Why would Chickie and Pete's want to open a large restaurant near the back of the park where the traffic really drops off, especially after Soak City closes. The only thing beyond it is Renegade, Thunder Canyon and Excalibur. Two of three which do not get much traffic these days. CaptainUnknown has stated that he is hearing rumors of major work in the back of the park for next year. Rumors have swirled that our next new coaster will be in the back of the park. Excalibur has only one train mounted to the tracks right now. Could it be that Chickie and Pete's opened where they did in anticipation of much larger crowds in the near future? Even Looping Starship got a cue line upgrade. Why? What does everyone else think.

I was thinking about this today. Chickie and Pete's opened last year in the back of the park. This is a major chain restaurant. I went there once to eat and it was almost completely empty. It was also expensive which I should not be surprised at. This year the exterior of the building got a complete new paint job and it looks great. Here is my question. Why would Chickie and Pete's want to open a large restaurant near the back of the park where the traffic really drops off, especially after Soak City closes. The only thing beyond it is Renegade, Thunder Canyon and Excalibur. Two of three which do not get much traffic these days. CaptainUnknown has stated that he is hearing rumors of major work in the back of the park for next year. Rumors have swirled that our next new coaster will be in the back of the park. Excalibur has only one train mounted to the tracks right now. Could it be that Chickie and Pete's opened where they did in anticipation of much larger crowds in the near future? Even Looping Starship got a cue line upgrade. Why? What does everyone else think.

That's very interesting, I didn't know that Chickie and Pete's was a major chain restaurant. Although, I do know that the Chickie and Pete's at Cedar Point is right in front of Raptor and the one at Dorney is near Talon. Could there be some sort of similarities there? Place them right by there inverts? Just a thought.

In my experience, Chickie and Pete's has always been slammed during the summer days. I usually avoid it for that reason, actually. I think these first weekends and weekdays just aren't an accurate way of judging what the standard traffic will be like in the park. The water park is open for most of the season, and all of the busiest parts of the season (aside from haunt), so it makes sense to me where the restaurant is located. Plus this year, with an expanded waterpark, there will be even more people back there. I'm sure they'll do fine.

Does anyone think Valleyfair should have new ownership and have a Herchend Family Entertainment take over did anyone see what the rumor coaster for Dollywood is getting in 2016 possible Rocky Mountain launch wooden coaster? Maybe Valleyfair could do first of its kind a launch B&M launch inverted coaster in the back of the park were Excalibur sits and once the dinasours live is up add a B&M wing coaster or dive coaster in front of the park.

No.

I love Herschend as much as anybody, but VF isn't the kind of park they seem to want. I know it seems like they're building a lot more thrilling things than VF right now, but you have to consider the full lineup of those parks. They're much more family-oriented, and if anything, VF would continue to see family additions for years to come in an effort to create this balance. If you've ever been to Silver Dollar City or Dollywood, those parks are about so much more than coasters and thrill rides. The closest comparison in the Cedar Fair chain is probably Knott's.

How about developing the land left of the Renegade lift hill and use that land in the back of the park for the new roller coaster what ever that maybe but if there going to use that land there going to have to put up flood walls? Are we going to start seeing construction for the back of the park? They also need to add a new rest room maybe a sit down resturant for the back. Why not include the new B&M inverted coaster with the water park expansion for the back of the park for there 40th anniversary just a idea are we going to see a capital announcement this summer? For phase II of the water park how about a adult splash down sit bar like the one at Cedar Point?

Maybe the should retire Excalibur for scrap and use that money either towards the water park expansion or a new roller coaster.

Garyman6, Did you remember some of us asking you a while ago saying you might know what's coming next or the unknown captain. Did you finally spill the beans about the next expansion lol? In 2016? I like the rumors on what garyman6 said gets me excited for next year, are these rumors by park employees or everyone?

Edited by ACES