TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Dave tweeted that they took down a training building to build a new one in its spot. They also fixed several drainage problems. Looks to me like it could make a good spot for a coaster station. Just my opinion!

I like the sound of that! Or a good spot for a new station could be where the amphitheater is (assuming its going to go down) or maybe even the spot where tit a whirl used to be, with the lift hill going over the train tunnel I know its close to wild thing but its just my opinion as well!

For those of you who came out/are coming out to Power Tower this weekend to ride the Space Shot, please be patient with our frequent breakdowns.

I've also heard a rumor that something is going to happen with the back of the park next season. I have no idea as to what. Maybe it has something to do with that disturbed land behind Mad Mouse?

Tonight (the 16th), we had to close Power Tower about an hour and a half early due to lightning. As I was walking back to the employee dorms, I noticed Steel Venom running (private group bought out Route 76) with lightning ongoing. And I saw this after a Power Tower co-associate told a story of about how he almost got struck by lightning near Steel Venom.

We are also woefully understaffed throughout the entire park. We at Power Tower keep stealing Merch and Game associates to keep two towers running (when Space Shot is active, that is). I dread that we may need to get Dave Frazier in to help when we want to open all three.

Dave tweeted that they took down a training building to build a new one in its spot. They also fixed several drainage problems. Looks to me like it could make a good spot for a coaster station. Just my opinion!

Haha had the same thought in the back of my head.

I was at the park today, here are some notes.

-Whatever they did to HR worked wonders, now my fourth favorite coaster at the park after the big three. (before it was Excalibur)

-Corkscrew's updates look nice, I could only bear one rough ride on it though.

-Renegade was smoother, but seemed less intense. It had terrible operations today.

-Wild Thing does have a faster lift IMO. It seems a little more intense this year, and there is less rattling on the figure 8 turn around.

-The park looks a lot nicer, the general improvements this off-season made the park beautiful. I do think they are starting to put more love into VF.

-Thunder Canyon didn't change a bit, but I had a great experience on it.

-The new slides look very promising, and I love how you can see them for just about anywhere in the park.

-If anyone was there late today, you know of the downpour. I was in line for monster with some friends, then it just started pouring. We all ran to the nearest dry place, but I felt bad for the poor people stuck on Monster while the workers slowly let them off. Everyone on it was all like "GET US OFF THIS, IM SO WET."

Haha had the same thought in the back of my head.

-Renegade was smoother, but seemed less intense. It had terrible operations today.

I agree with you on this, like I said, what should have been a 20 minute wait was a 45 minute wait. I think they should always have 2 trains going due to its popularity and length.

For those of you who came out/are coming out to Power Tower this weekend to ride the Space Shot, please be patient with our frequent breakdowns.

I've also heard a rumor that something is going to happen with the back of the park next season. I have no idea as to what. Maybe it has something to do with that disturbed land behind Mad Mouse?

Tonight (the 16th), we had to close Power Tower about an hour and a half early due to lightning. As I was walking back to the employee dorms, I noticed Steel Venom running (private group bought out Route 76) with lightning ongoing. And I saw this after a Power Tower co-associate told a story of about how he almost got struck by lightning near Steel Venom.

We are also woefully understaffed throughout the entire park. We at Power Tower keep stealing Merch and Game associates to keep two towers running (when Space Shot is active, that is). I dread that we may need to get Dave Frazier in to help when we want to open all three.

I rode Space Shot Saturday, and the lines at Power Tower were fine. It seemed like they had more experienced staff on hand for the day. The biggest problem was Renegade, running one train with very slow dispatches.

I wouldn't be surprised if the back of the park got an overhaul next year, it's one of very few places in the park left that need some work. I think it may be connected to additional waterpark expansion.

But when I rode Excalibur I was thinking about how conveniently large the station is. It feels larger than Renegade's and I don't think that's just because it's so empty, it's a very big station compared to most in the park...perfect to recycle for a new RMC or perhaps even an invert?

I must say that I like Excalibur's trains. They are so nice, it's a shame about the rest of the ride after that first drop though. Beats me up lol.

Overall, Saturday was great. You couldn't tell that there was a lack of staff, unlike Six Flags. Great job!

I was there yesterday evening, bailed just before the storm:

*Also had the loooong wait for Renegade. I used the time to post here from my phone to see if anyone else might be around.

*Agree that it looks nice, the new LED walkway lights look nice and should be easy to maintain even if I still miss the old ones before they ripped them all out and put those generic parking lot style ones in.

I don't know if they're concerned about them dropping leaves and crap into the water, but it looks like more trees would have been nice for the new waterpark area. I also like that that it seems more open using a small metal rather than a huge wood fence.

A second Caribou near the back of the park would be nice.

*Wild Thing seemed to be running nice.

Didn't get to rid the "blast up" Power Tower because of the issues.+

I also noticed the slow operations yesterday, they're probably just opening weekend issues that will hopefully be resolved soon.

Do you remember which row you sat in? I rode Corkscrew in the front row yesterday and had a fairly smooth ride.

I felt the same way about Renegade, but wooden coasters tend to run better later in the season, so give it some time.

I also noticed the slow operations yesterday, they're probably just opening weekend issues that will hopefully be resolved soon.

Do you remember which row you sat in? I rode Corkscrew in the front row yesterday and had a fairly smooth ride.

I felt the same way about Renegade, but wooden coasters tend to run better later in the season, so give it some time.

5th row on Corkscrew

First row on Corkscrew is always a good ride, haven't done the fifth row though.

I also have to say that FunTV seems to be improving every time I go, it really helped while waiting for Renegade. You can hear music just about everywhere in the park now with the additional speakers. The atmosphere in the park is much more lively as a result. It's been a terrific off-season obviously, cannot wait to see/hear how the waterpark performs as the season progresses.

I love how Valleyfair did VERY many general improvements along with the new slides and splash pad. This is what leads me to believe next year won't be a general improvement only year, because they seem to be doing a lot of general improvements in the off season, and regular season.

I was at the park at noon I was going to go this morning but the rain came down hard clouds broke up around noon. The park is not busy I went straight to High Roller walk right on empty train then went to Renegade walk on and I did a few re rides after Renegade I rode Excalibur had the train all to my self lol. Once I did a few rides I tried my first fine dining with my season pass I went to the north woods grill tried the turkey bacon wrapped its wrapped in all bacon the price for that was $14.99 was ok I payed for the drink had a 30 ounce coke was $4.59 does anyone have the souvenir bottle? You pay $10.99 then re fill for only $1.00 is it worth it? After I ate rode the Rip Tide it was humid so I wanted to get a little wet I got my pant and socks wet but not to much cool down from the humid weather I sat in the front row of Rip Tide walked right on had the ride to my self again lol after Rip Tide went to Wild Thing rode that five times and two re rides walk right on no wait times I rode Wild Thing a few times to dry off from Rip Tide and the Extreme Swing to was a walk on. On the way to Extreme Swing I saw Dave Frazier was walking around waves at me every time . Everything was a walk on.

Edited by ACES

I went again today after the AM showers and before the PM ones started. Got to ride the Blue Power tower this time, and every thing else was a walk-on. Also noticed all the construction equipment is gone from Soak City.

The souvenir bottle is $10.99 each IF you buy 3 of them, otherwise just for 1 bottle its $14.99 plus tax. Its a better deal to buy the bottle online because you can save $5.00 it only comes to like $12.00 with tax. You just get a voucher for the bottle and bring it to the park and exchange it.

I was at the park today from 6:30 A.M. to about 1:30 P.M. (I helped out with the race, that's why I was so early). I'm going again on Tuesday, and then I'll probably do a full report with photos and stuff. The park was completely empty today, and I got re-rides on a few rides.

I tried to go through the park as quickly as possible to see how I can hold up when I go on my first multi-day trip in June, and I ended up getting on every major ride in about 3 hours, which I figured out is too fast. I finished off my day with a really bad ride on Steel Venom, which was rougher than Excalibur and High Roller today.

NOTE TO ALL RUN AND RIDE RUNNERS: Great job to all runners! I had an excellent time running an aid station for todays runs. I was the guy at this aid station if you were running the race:

Turing Excalibur into an RMC machine would be sweet, could even keep the same name. I do like the Excalibur name and the entrance sign to the ride is awesome with the sword.

I would love to see any RMC coaster at Valleyfair, but I don't think they'll ever Iron Horse Excalibur because there really isn't much they could do with its layout. It would probably rather be a new RMC woodie from scratch, but I wouldn't expect it to happen for a while if at all because VF needs new steel first.

Agreed. It makes more sense to scrap Excalibur and replace it with something completely new. Let RMC start fresh on a coaster. After that B&M Invert, Soak City Phase 2, and a Larson Flyers that is. I'd also like a full-circuit launched coaster from Mack, Intamin, or Premier first as well. A new wooden coaster is probably the last thing that the park needs right now.

Has anyone actually talked to Dave Frazier about scraping Excalibur? Kinda want to know what he would have to say about it. That ride is always walk on like 95% of the time but it does help you dry off from thunder canyon!

How much would they get for Excalibur? I spoke with Mr Frazier opening weekend about a new B&M inverted he said he would get something like a Banshee having a 170 foot lift hill. When Frazier told me if we had the money he would do it something tells me Valleyfair doesnt have a lot of money or maybe they do hes keeping it a secrete. I also think Valleyfair needs a Larson Flyers are really popular rides.

Has anyone actually talked to Dave Frazier about scraping Excalibur? Kinda want to know what he would have to say about it. That ride is always walk on like 95% of the time but it does help you dry off from thunder canyon!

I have asked him and his response was that he doesn't want to loose any coasters. But lets face the facts here. While its great that excalibur is usually a walk onIy it doesn't make since to keep it cause it isn't a draw for the park. Its actually a money drain. Dont get me wrong, im actually one of the few fans of Excalibur but it had its short run of glory and now its time to retire it. If i were you id get my last rides on Excalibur! I have reason to believe that this may be its last year.