TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I imagine this new one will be more maintenance friendly. Did anyone else see the LA Times article VF15 posted? It looks like Cedar Fair wants a dark ride in every park that tells of a beast or park underworld. What would be Valleyfair's dark underside or beast?

^

I was also wondering what the park's eventual dark ride might be themed to because Valleyfair doesn't have a particular theme to it. I believe it had a turn-of-the-century theme in its early days, but that wouldn't work for a dark ride nowadays. It could be a snowstorm/blizzard themed ride since MN is known for its winters, though I personally wouldn't want to be reminded of winter in the middle of summer. The article did mention the ability to seasonally change the ride theme, so they could give it a Halloween theme during Haunt season. However, I don't see a dark ride coming until at least 2019 because VF needs to take care of other things first.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-trb-cedar-fair-dark-rides-20150415-story.html

The sign is the best part. A new Excalibur would be cool, especially if they did up the station like a crumbling castle. If Valleyfair were to ever get into theming, I'd love that back part of the park to be like medieval ruins in the woods, even around Thunder Canyon.
This is a good idea for a dark ride to replace the Excalibur roller coaster, keep the same awesome sign.

IMG_0319.thumb.PNG.292ad3c1d99569549686e28623224d32.PNG

Uhhhhhhh... did I just hear pretty much everyone on this thread refer to FOF as a dark ride? Cause it's not a dark ride. It's a coaster in the dark.

Truth.

I'd still love a launched spaghetti bowl coaster like Flight of Fear or Joker's Jinx at Valleyfair. Would spice it up.

I want the old sign stay in VF. They don't need to power up or maybe turn it on special days like the 4th, Memorial Day, and Labor Day. I still want a B&M inverted coaster before a dark ride which is mention on Screamscape that years away being plan any way. FOF at Kings Island is not a dark ride.

Wait...you guys consider FOF a dark ride?

Yes, personally I do. I had to expand and use a personal definition for 'dark ride' because I got tired of saying every dark ride I went on sucked. By expanding my definition to 'any ride in the dark' I was able to find one I enjoy.

I want the old sign stay in VF.

Most people do too. It was unique and pretty cool looking at night with all that neon. I will definitely miss it. Plus is was one thing that VF had that was better than the other CF parks in the chain. But modern parks have to change or die so due to cost of operation and the ability to actually have messages on the sign I see why they did it. It doesn't mean I have to like it though. But for a modern sign I do like it, it is simple design and the LED screen is most of the sign. I thought it was going to me more like KI's sign but I like this one better due to the sleeker look.

829576544_KIsign.jpg.4166177d199048c59ce88cd9b18325c3.jpg

Kings Island welcoming sign.

I imagine this new one will be more maintenance friendly. Did anyone else see the LA Times article VF15 posted? It looks like Cedar Fair wants a dark ride in every park that tells of a beast or park underworld. What would be Valleyfair's dark underside or beast?

Since VF is in the floodplain, maybe like a monster cat fish or killer Salmon

Ooh fun! I have to say though that 2014 was an exception and the park VERY rarely floods during the season so the GP really only know of the 2014 incident. It really isn't associated with the park, so good idea, but this isn't really a park theme.

I think it should be "The Wrath of Baron Oom Pah Pah."

I want the old sign stay in VF.

Dave Frazier tweeted that they're not exactly sure what they're doing with the old sign, so it might not be doomed to the junkyard just yet.

I like it! Adding a little something to it like "The Wrath of the Drunken Baron Oom Pah Pah." could make it even more exciting and interesting. Maybe something along the lines of using some state folklore like "Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox go on a Weekend Bender." or "Paul and Babe: Undead Giants." (got to get a piece of big zombie market dollar). And if they are going to go with a fish why not just go all the way and theme it after Sharknado? Seriously though, it would be tough to come up with a theme for a dark ride at VF so good luck to the marketing department. The only thing I can think of is since the park is built in the city of Shakopee and named after Chief Shakopee you could go with a Indian 'Spirit' type story.

I like it! Adding a little something to it like "The Wrath of the Drunken Baron Oom Pah Pah." could make it even more exciting and interesting. Maybe something along the lines of using some state folklore like "Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox go on a Weekend Bender." or "Paul and Babe: Undead Giants." (got to get a piece of big zombie market dollar). And if they are going to go with a fish why not just go all the way and theme it after Sharknado? Seriously though, it would be tough to come up with a theme for a dark ride at VF so good luck to the marketing department. The only thing I can think of is since the park is built in the city of Shakopee and named after Chief Shakopee you could go with a Indian 'Spirit' type story.

"Help Paul Bunyan save Baron Oom Pah Pah from the drunken bender that could ruin his life--and Valleyfair!" The ride vehicle would look like Babe, the Blue Ox.

Auction the sign for charity would be a good idea

I would love to have it, but it the stats they posted on Facebook are correct, where to put it?

"The 13’ x 26’ sign was considered state of the art when it was installed in 1989. It features more than one mile of fully animated neon, more than five miles of wiring and weighs in at about three tons."