TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Question for everyone. What is your opinion of Northern Lights? The whole route 76 area only cost VF around 3 - 4 million. I absolutely love it! Maybe not the most thrilling ride although the back outer seats are pretty sweet, but overall one of the more fun rides I've been on. Honestly haven't laughed so much on a ride in a long time! I give VF an "A" rating for route 76.

Northern Lights was a nice family ride that exceeded my expectations. Not an intense or thrilling ride by any means, but still fun. Even though it technically isn't a coaster, I think we can say it has fulfilled VF's need for a new family coaster. Route 76 as a whole helped give new life to what used to be a rather quiet section of the park. Scrambled and Tilter look much better with their new paint schemes, and bringing back Antique Autos was a smart move since it was a favorite among families. Overall, I really liked Route 76, though I will admit I am a bit more excited about the new waterpark slide tower.

Don't forget the Minneapolis/St Paul CSA is a million people larger than Charlotte's. That's a million more people who are likely to visit frequently as the park is a pretty short drive. We have more favorable statistics than Carowinds does in many respects. Lots of potential customers to tap. Lots of potential growth.

Valleyfair has potential and a big population around it, but it also has competition that's dragging people elsewhere. That's why the attendance is on the lower side. Carowinds might not have as big as a population around it, but it also doesn't have competition so that's why there attendance is higher. The parks with the highest attendance Cedar Point, Canada's Wonderland, Carowinds, and Kings Island will be the best potential for expansion ( the expensive and the best quality coasters). You also need land so even though Knotts gets the highest attendance out of all the parks it is only 160 acres and that is why it's more of a family park.

Valleyfair has potential and a big population around it, but it also has competition that's dragging people elsewhere. That's why the attendance is on the lower side. Carowinds might not have as big as a population around it, but it also doesn't have competition so that's why there attendance is higher. The parks with the highest attendance Cedar Point, Canada's Wonderland, Carowinds, and Kings Island will be the best potential for expansion ( the expensive and the best quality coasters). You also need land so even though Knotts gets the highest attendance out of all the parks it is only 160 acres and that is why it's more of a family park.

Yes, VF probably is competing with Nick U (honestly not a threat) Wisconsin Dells, and probably Great America. However, if it actually is affecting the attendance, we should be trying to fight harder. If we're really losing people to those places, it's because of a lack of family offerings (resolved over the last 7 years) a subpar waterpark (currently being resolved) and a lack of any major, modern coasters/thrill rides (this has gone on long enough that it will become a problem if it hasn't already). Obviously Cedar Fair has a smart setup where they don't waste money on an expansion a park can't support with it's own revenue, but sometimes you have to build something just to stay in the game. I fear the consequences of refusing to build a significant coaster for over a decade. People have the internet now. The general public knows what kind of rides are out there at other parks. If they hold off too long, they will lose guests to other parks and revenue will begin to drop instead of grow.

The additions that have been made in the years since Renegade were very important, and I'm glad they've been done. I also think the idea of parks "deserving" a new coaster out of some form of pity is ridiculous. At some point, though, you do need to maintain the ability to attract people who aren't kids or parents, and that crowd is probably being lost to other major parks. I'm not asking for a giga or anything that size, but something really needs to be built soon that will actually generate some buzz.

Regarding Knott's, they have the ability to build pretty much anything... it's not only a family-oriented park because it's land-locked. The fact that it doesn't have a hyper/giga/whatever is definitely a choice the park has made and not an inability to fit one in. Furthermore, their high attendance also has something to do with being open year-round. It's certainly a busy park, particularly in the summer, at haunt, and during other seasonal events, but being open for as much as 6 months more than the other parks gives it a boost.

A couple of points.

Charlotte may be smaller, but North Carolina has double the population of MInnesota.

People so into coasters that they post on an internet forum might take a road trip to Great America because Valleyfair's coasters are lousy, but what percentage of Valleyfair's customers are those? What about the average family looking to take their kids out for the day, or some teens wanting to hang out?

I'm not sure Wisconsin Dells "competes" with Valleyfair. It's a different experience, even with the waterpark upgrades, and people who go to Wisconsin Dells can probably also go to Valleyfair for a day.

A couple of points.

Charlotte may be smaller, but North Carolina has double the population of MInnesota.

People so into coasters that they post on an internet forum might take a road trip to Great America because Valleyfair's coasters are lousy, but what percentage of Valleyfair's customers are those? What about the average family looking to take their kids out for the day, or some teens wanting to hang out?

I'm not sure Wisconsin Dells "competes" with Valleyfair. It's a different experience, even with the waterpark upgrades, and people who go to Wisconsin Dells can probably also go to Valleyfair for a day.

Lets not forget that Carowinds is in both N and S Carolina

Yes, VF probably is competing with Nick U (honestly not a threat) Wisconsin Dells, and probably Great America. However, if it actually is affecting the attendance, we should be trying to fight harder. If we're really losing people to those places, it's because of a lack of family offerings (resolved over the last 7 years) a subpar waterpark (currently being resolved) and a lack of any major, modern coasters/thrill rides (this has gone on long enough that it will become a problem if it hasn't already). Obviously Cedar Fair has a smart setup where they don't waste money on an expansion a park can't support with it's own revenue, but sometimes you have to build something just to stay in the game. I fear the consequences of refusing to build a significant coaster for over a decade. People have the internet now. The general public knows what kind of rides are out there at other parks. If they hold off too long, they will lose guests to other parks and revenue will begin to drop instead of grow.

The additions that have been made in the years since Renegade were very important, and I'm glad they've been done. I also think the idea of parks "deserving" a new coaster out of some form of pity is ridiculous. At some point, though, you do need to maintain the ability to attract people who aren't kids or parents, and that crowd is probably being lost to other major parks. I'm not asking for a giga or anything that size, but something really needs to be built soon that will actually generate some buzz.

Regarding Knott's, they have the ability to build pretty much anything... it's not only a family-oriented park because it's land-locked. The fact that it doesn't have a hyper/giga/whatever is definitely a choice the park has made and not an inability to fit one in. Furthermore, their high attendance also has something to do with being open year-round. It's certainly a busy park, particularly in the summer, at haunt, and during other seasonal events, but being open for as much as 6 months more than the other parks gives it a boost.

Excellent post, all the points I would have made. Thanks for saving me the time. If anything I think CF feels a "little too safe" with VF having no direct competition in the five bordering states and might be under the mentality of "Why add anything bigger than we have too at this park?."

I personally think that a new coaster is coming in 2017 or 2018 rather than 2016 because most of the rumors of a 2016 VF coaster have just been enthusiast optimism and nothing really legitimate. Plus, the park could use some more time to make more general improvements before making a big addition, though I could be wrong and 2016 might be our year.

This is from a while ago, but I just thought I would add that it is just early 2015 and there is still PLENTY of time for rumors to bounce around. VF isn't as big a deal as Cedar Point so it is easier for them to prevent rumors from getting out cause less people are thoroughly investigating. You could be right, but there is still a lot of time before 2016.

Dave Frazier has been tweeting a lot of pictures of some general improvements from around the park.

Children's volleyball courts near the new splash pad.

CCGHn1OUkAAh6Zp.thumb.jpg.d7f1e136d08a92171510a0357a745067.jpg

New retaining wall being built near Renegade.

CCGGo7XUMAMupAk.thumb.jpg.0def60c5ddcd6fb54bb30c64d21c95c8.jpg

They've repaved Looping Starship's queue line (which means it will probably be staying for a while); Chickies and Petes is getting resided and repainted.

CCGHSMgUEAI8dso.thumb.jpg.d7ae196b991bce235604af4b190bf379.jpg

Work on the train tracks.

CCGJFqhUMAAvsNh.jpg.8d013152389d67aa759d93346c4c1359.jpg

Coasters diner has a new floor and is getting new booth seats.

CCGJ3-sUAAAz2H8.jpg.82e5d30fd362569fbf4dc94fa110bdc8.jpg

New ICEE stand. Also gives us a good view of the back of the slide tower.

CCGN15CUgAATcsm.jpg.6cdea2404276fad6b27f5235dfe8a296.jpg

Finally, more High Roller retracking. Should help make it a lot smoother.

CCGMsUwVEAM4TlA.thumb.jpg.0e0da279c99c467392f10395dec8c4e6.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out in May.

A couple of points.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I do actually think it's more than enthusiasts these days who feel that VF is really lacking in the coaster department. This is the vibe I've gotten from pretty much everyone 16-25 that I've talked to or overheard, whether it's while in line for things at VF, or just in random conversation.

As most of you know, I haven't pushed for a new coaster on these boards until now... normally I'm in complete agreement with what mdcastle said, and I really haven't been concerned about where the budget has been going until recently. If they don't put something in within the next 3 years or so, I think they could have a real problem.

North and South Carolina also have beaches and coastal towns to flock to--Myrtle Beach sees 14 million visitors spring-fall, and it's a town of 27,000 people. It would take an Intimidator and a Fury-sized coaster to cement Carowinds as a must-do for the summer for the general Carolina population.

And Cedar Fair did it. And as much as it's been thrown around (by me) I must reiterate "growth park"...Carowinds probably was the first for a myriad of reasons that have been discussed in other threads. Great America is still learning how to deal with its new stadium neighbor and coordinating with the NFL for parking, etc... that may delay their expansion until the situation settles into something "normal". I think we are next for growth, and Great America will be last of the 3.Probably completely wrong though.

I'm going to renew my season pass in May can you get into the park an 1/2 hour early with the Valleyfair gold plus dinning season pass or is that just for platinum pass holders only? I think they should move looping star ship over by the enterprise maybe re paint it for the water park expansion.

I'm going to renew my season pass in May can you get into the park an 1/2 hour early with the Valleyfair gold plus dinning season pass or is that just for platinum pass holders only?

Gold and Platinum passholders get early entry to the park.

33 ft isnt that credit whore-ish.

I will probably be there to ride it sometime soon, Como is a nice place, and I still haven't gotten on their Soaring Eagle Zipline!

And according to the photo (see below) Como Town's Facebook posted, it looks pretty nice!, it looks pretty nice!

11010496_10153079383430020_3197966844958284190_n.jpg?oh=0574af9877c91791c9adf56fe4081291&oe=55993DB8

Does anyone know what kind of coaster that is? I know I've seen something like it, but I don't know where.

Does anyone know what kind of coaster that is? I know I've seen something like it, but I don't know where.

The article says it is being shipped from Italy so my guess is it is made by Zamperla. It also says it is a custom job and I could not find an exact match for the cars on their website but they do make coasters of that size.