TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Which slides are you guys looking forward to more? I personally can't decide right now because both of them have their strong points. Breakers Pipeline (trapdoor slides) will be definitely be exciting due to the sudden drop. Even though they'll probably count down the drop Steel Venom style, it would be better if they dropped you at random. Meanwhile, Breakers Plunge will be the 7th tallest slide of its kind (freefall body slides), and is almost three times taller than the existing speed slides. I'm actually not sure which one will intimidate the GP more. What do you think?

I can't wait to use this Platinum pass to find out!

But I think Breakers Plunge will be more thrilling to the GP.

Found this concept art of the splash pad that Kings Dominion is getting this year on their website. I'm assuming that Valleyfair's splash pad will be identical to this one. It is relatively small, but I guess it's an improvement on the old one.

image.thumb.jpg.a82bc2883cc5b2e6d3a24390ced628dc.jpg

If Valleyfair had a passholder preview day, maybe on the weekend before the park opens to the public, I would definitely go, but VF's new attractions for this year don't open until Memorial Day weekend, so probably not this year. If we get a new coaster or new flat ride in 2016, maybe they could have a preview day then.

That sounds awesome, I would go for sure. CHanging the subject, what manufacturer do you all think VF's next coaster will be built by? B&Ms are expensive, but with WoF and CGA both having one it is definitely likely. I know intamin is not completely out of the question, because Kings Dominion is considering it and they are a CF park. I don't think it will be RMC because if CF did try them out I think it would be on the Mean Streak first. I think it will be B&M because it seems like that is all CF buys these days with a few exceptions. Just a weird thought but what if all of a sudden one year lets say 2016 CF gave all it's parks RMCs.

^

Cedar Fair is not going to give all its parks RMCs next year because it's not financially possible, and not necessary. Anyway, I think that B&M is the most likely option since they've been Cedar Fair's go-to manufactuter for the past several years. A huge B&M like Gatekeeper or Banshee is out of the question, but they could probably get a small invert, floorless, wing coaster for ~$15 million, though I hope it's not a wing coaster because Valleyfair could use something on the intense side.

By the way, where did you hear that Kings Dominion is considering Intamin?

^

Cedar Fair is not going to give all its parks RMCs next year because it's not financially possible, and not necessary.

By the way, where did you hear that Kings Dominion is considering Intamin?

I was joking about the RMC thing, sorry I should have made that clearer. As for Kings Dominion considering Intamin, in this video the speculator mentions he talked to Kings Dominion's GM and she said Intamin was an option for their next coaster.

Here is the video if you are interested, you may recall me posting it before. The thing about Intamin is at 8:26

^

I wouldn't buy into that video because he doesn't have any factual basis behind that statement. I'd like to see Cedar Fair work with Intamin again just as much as the next person, but I unfortunately doubt it.

Finally! I was wondering for awhile if it would be done on time lol.

Does anybody know if that new path by Mad Mouse is going to be pavers, brick or asphalt? I feel like if it's asphalt that leaves the possibility of Mad Mouse getting moved in a few years for waterpark expansion open, since asphalt is cheaper and ripping it up after a year or two wouldn't be a big deal. But if it's brick or pavers that would nix it because those are more expensive and you don't generally see parks do that.

That sounds awesome, I would go for sure. CHanging the subject, what manufacturer do you all think VF's next coaster will be built by? B&Ms are expensive, but with WoF and CGA both having one it is definitely likely. I know intamin is not completely out of the question, because Kings Dominion is considering it and they are a CF park. I don't think it will be RMC because if CF did try them out I think it would be on the Mean Streak first. I think it will be B&M because it seems like that is all CF buys these days with a few exceptions. Just a weird thought but what if all of a sudden one year lets say 2016 CF gave all it's parks RMCs.

Prly a Chance hyper gtx

^ but pavers and bricks can me moved anywhere

Finally! I was wondering for awhile if it would be done on time lol.

Does anybody know if that new path by Mad Mouse is going to be pavers, brick or asphalt? I feel like if it's asphalt that leaves the possibility of Mad Mouse getting moved in a few years for waterpark expansion open, since asphalt is cheaper and ripping it up after a year or two wouldn't be a big deal. But if it's brick or pavers that would nix it because those are more expensive and you don't generally see parks do that.

Not really sure if that would mean something because even if they aren't planning on using that area as future waterpark space, they might just use asphalt anyway to save money.

On another note, Dave Frazier tweeted a while ago that Subway will be back this year, and that we might see new games somewhere to replace the ones they demolished for the slide tower. My guess is Subway will take over an existing food stand somewhere in the park, and if there are new games, I'm not sure where they'd put those.

Anyone else know that Rita's Ice is coming to valleyfair for 2015? Look on the app for more details. As for a pass holder preview night, I would LOVE if valleyfair had one. I'm about to buy my pass with all season dining, and if they did that event it would be icing on the cake.

Anyone else know that Rita's Ice is coming to valleyfair for 2015? Look on the app for more details. As for a pass holder preview night, I would LOVE if valleyfair had one. I'm about to buy my pass with all season dining, and if they did that event it would be icing on the cake. Whoops, I don't know why it double posted. i apologize for the double submission.

^

I wouldn't buy into that video because he doesn't have any factual basis behind that statement. I'd like to see Cedar Fair work with Intamin again just as much as the next person, but I unfortunately doubt it.

The intamins at CP are what keep it popular, once intamin improves its reliability, they are likely to buy from them again.

^

The intamins at CP are what keep it popular, once intamin improves its reliability, they are likely to buy from them again.

They are also extremely expensive and have proven to be a major risk to purchase for parks given all the issues their coasters have had in manufacturing (I-305, Maverick, etc). Did someone from Valleyfair tell you they'd be buying from Intamin again? I'm curious.

Also, Intamin's been manufacturing coasters for much longer than B&M, and their coasters are still far less reliable. As long as Intamin continues to push the envelope and innovate, I don't see reliability/downtime improving any more than fractionally. This is why Cedar Fair has continued to do business with B&M.

^

Even if Intamin was still working with Cedar Fair, most of their coaster options are either too expensive or wouldn't be a good fit for VF. Plus, I'm pretty sure that their reliability issues are why CF they dropped them (especially the i305 incident in 2013). Not trying to sound negative, just being realistic.

Few things wrong with you're logic there.

1) Intamin is cheaper than B&M, if they can afford a small B&M, they can afford a larger Intamin.

2)Cedar Fair has not dropped Intamin, they just haven't put in one. These day's intamin really only builds launch coasters, family coasters and super intense hyper coaster's are smaller things. B&M has been providing rides that fit the parks better, it's not like they straight up refuse to do anything with intamin.

3) Yes Intamidator's lift broke for a while, but guess what? So did Gatekeepers!

I'm not gonna say an Intamin coaster is coming, but it really isn't any less likely than a B&M at this point. All there is is rumors at this point.

Cedar Fair has not dropped Intamin, they just haven't put in one.

THIS

Enough of all this nonsense about the supposed relationship (or lack thereof) between Cedar Fair and Intamin. Someone's either saying that Intamin is next because some guy on youtube thinks it will happen, or that CF somehow refuses to buy from them ever again. None of these claims have any kind of evidence to support them.

Few things wrong with you're logic there.

1) Intamin is cheaper than B&M, if they can afford a small B&M, they can afford a larger Intamin.

2)Cedar Fair has not dropped Intamin, they just haven't put in one. These day's intamin really only builds launch coasters, family coasters and super intense hyper coaster's are smaller things. B&M has been providing rides that fit the parks better, it's not like they straight up refuse to do anything with intamin.

3) Yes Intamidator's lift broke for a while, but guess what? So did Gatekeepers!

I'm not gonna say an Intamin coaster is coming, but it really isn't any less likely than a B&M at this point. All there is is rumors at this point.

Well... yes and no.

1) Intamin may be cheaper "off the shelf" (can you truly compare? Their coasters are nothing like B&M's), but with increased downtime, maintenance, breakdowns/downtime, manufacturing issues (I-305 wheel replacements, first turn complete overhaul, etc), it adds up. You could certainly argue B&M's are a better value for the price in the long term.

2) It's been since 2010, so you couldn't say they really dropped Intamin, but I think it is absolutely fair to assume a B&M is more likely based on previous additions in the chain.

3) Was the first element of Gatekeeper's track removed and rebuilt, or did Gatekeeper's wheels burn out regularly? Intamin is not as reliable/sure the first time around as B&M is, and that's a fact.

Almost all of my favorite coasters are Intamins, but it's important to be realistic. Parks generally aren't looking to build anything like a Skyrush that is too intense for some guests to enjoy more than once. Parks want people eaters that appeal to a wide audience, and that screams B&M to me.

There's no proof anywhere that modification's like Intimidator's turn or Maverick's barrel roll are paid for by the parks themselves. My guess is that Intamin pays for those kinda problems. As for Gatekeeper, they didn't have to replace track but it was down for at least a week and a half, a crane had to be brought in and the lift motor may have had to been replaced. Keep in mind that B&M couldn't keep technology from the 1800's running while intamin manages decent reliability from technology that no one's ever tried before.

There's no proof anywhere that modification's like Intimidator's turn or Maverick's barrel roll are paid for by the parks themselves. My guess is that Intamin pays for those kinda problems. As for Gatekeeper, they didn't have to replace track but it was down for at least a week and a half, a crane had to be brought in and the lift motor may have had to been replaced. Keep in mind that B&M couldn't keep technology from the 1800's running while intamin manages decent reliability from technology that no one's ever tried before.

What so now the only coasters that EVER get stuck on a lift chain are B&M's? I'm not trying to be confrontational, but that's not a fair post at all.

I'd like you to show me your prototype 1800's wing coaster that didn't get stuck on a nearly 400 foot long lift chain. Seriously. Chains were around in the 1800's, but you're mistaken if you believe that a B&M wing coaster chain lift is no more technologically advanced than a chain from the year 1800.

I apologize if you find any of this offensive.