TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I highly doubt they will do that next year. They actually were breaking a rule letting people stay on 17 times in a row, they could have gotten in trouble actually. The rule is let people re ride twice if there is no one waiting in line for their seat. Its fun, but the ride ops could have gotten in a decent amount of trouble.

Yes, they were breaking the rules, however, if a Rides Supervisor allows, they can do rerides. I don't remember the day, but on at least one extremely quiet day our Sup sat in the Ripcord hut and called the other Area 1 rides to let them know that they could do rerides. So it can happen, and is total OK within the rules, but it almost never will.

So after wading through the arguing and bickering over the last several pages, I'd like to change things up. So in anticipation of my first visit to the area I would love for you VF locals to list your top 5 coasters in the area and maybe a brief description on what's so sweet about it. Feel free to include Nickelodeon Universe coasters as well to supplement the list.

Before this summer I had never ridden an impulse and after riding V2, Possessed, and Wicked Twister, I've become quite a fan actually. I also finally rode, in my opinion, an awesome GCI, Kentucky Rumbler. So I'm really looking forward to Steel Venom and Renegade.

As a side note, I had ridden Gwazi, SFA's Roar, and the Hershey GCI's but none of them really knocked my socks off like Rumbler. Since they were built around the same time (Rumbler in 2006 and Renegade in 2007) my expectations for Renegade have gone up. I recently moved to Colorado and I would love to be near a park like VF or Worlds of Fun because the best I have now is Elitch.

I'm going to be missing my old home parks KD and BGW next year.

^

1) Renegade - The best and most airtime at VF , plus it's out of control and intense. It's especially great when you sit in the last row.

2) Wild Thing - Once you get to the third hill, it's just a decent hyper, but the first drop and second hill are good enough that that part alone makes the ride my second favorite in the park.

3) Steel Venom - This is what I would call an all-around fun ride. It's thrilling and intense. Plus, the holding brake is a cool feature.

4) Spongebob Squarepants Rock Bottom Plunge (Nickelodeon Universe) - This ride is forceful and has a great first drop plus some good hangtime. I just wish it was a little longer.

5) High Roller - An old-school woodie that's trimmed to death, but it still manages to produce some decent airtime pops.

Oh wow, I don't know if I can narrow it down to 5 but I will with ties!

1. Wild Thing - I happen to like the turnaround on Wild Thing, its actually pretty unique and it intertwines with a lot of the park. The second hill is a loooong low gravity zone which makes it pretty cool.

1. Renegade - You will see what we mean when we say "Hang On", Oh, if you ride at night its awesome but just keep your mount closed unless your hungry! HaHa!

2. Steel Venom - I love the force of it and the brake hold will make you squirm!

2. Avatar Airbender - Nic U. Reminds me of Steel Venom only with spinning cars, love this ride

3. Rock Bottom Plunge - Nic U. Overall a pretty fun ride. I like the lift hill. When you crest the top you are actually above the roof rafters.

4. Corkscrew - Pretty descent coaster for an older arrow. I also love how it intertwines with the park and goes over the midway.

5. Pepsi Orange Streak - Nic U. This may be a surprise but this is one of the most unique coasters you will ever go on. Don't ride it for the thrill but for getting great views and overall enjoyment.

5. Fairly Odd Coaster - Nic U. Get a good unbalance on the car and watch out! You will spin like crazy. It also has some good airtime moments.

1. Renegade - Sustained speed and quick directional changes throughout, lots of good floater airtime in the first half, and an amazing night ride.

2. Wildthing - Great airtime over the second hill, and a really fun first drop. Nice, long layout, and some good forces in the turnaround.

3. Excalibur - It has a lot of haters, but I love it. It's very arrow, but has a great first drop, and a particularly strong positive force followed by a brief moment of strong, ejector air. Best in the front row of the back car, when not stapled.

4. Steel Venom - Quality Intamin attraction. I enjoy the launches, and the front row is hard to beat. Great sense of speed going into the second forward pass

5. High Roller - This is one of my top "classic" wooden coasters. It has that old-style "bounce" to it, but isn't what I would call rough by any means. It also still has buzz bars. A decent ride with the trims on, and a stand out ride when the trims are unusually light going into the return trip.

Nothing from Nickelodeon Universe really makes it in here for me. It's great for an indoor park, but it's still not as good as the ride experience that full-length, taller outdoor coasters can provide. Spongebob might have made it into 6th or 7th place, however.

I don't really have a top 5 list, but here's some rides that you should definitely try.

Renegade!!!!

High Roller (This is actually one of my favorite rides, if you get a trim-less ride, you get PLENTY of airtime. I recommend sitting in the third row from the back (front row of the back car))

LOG CHUTE! I have a soft spot for log flumes...

The ninja turtle ride at MOA (I forget what it's called) is really unique.

Wild Thing, great in the back seat.

Xtreme Swing

Enterprise if you've never been on one before.

My top 5.

5. Pepsi Orange Streak, because it's kind of fun.

4. Wild Thing, in the way back and watching Renegade while going over the first hill.

3. Steel Venom. I like launches.

2. Excalibur at Night. Excalibur at Night is the best because it's dark and there's no one back there so you basically get on every ride. Also the ride ops this year were awesome back there.

1. Renegade. Obviously.

Anyone thinking like me that there is a possibility that we may get an upcharge slingshot ride next year in addition to the waterpark expansion. There is rumor that Carowinds is getting one in addition to Fury. It would be awesome if we did. What does everyone else think.

P.S. Here is a hint about my last clue, the word scramble. Actually it's a complete sentence. Valleyfair appears in the clue but only as vf. O.K. now let's get to work. You all unscrambled the last one in like a day. I was shocked! Well I made it harder this time but I am confident you all can do it.

^

A slingshot at Valleyfair would be great. I've always wanted to ride a slingshot but have never had the chance. They could fit one in perfectly in Wild Thing's turnaround where Skyscraper used to be. Cedar Point didn't announce their's until February last year, so it's certainly possible that VF could announce one in the coming months. Also, they must be relatively cheap if Carowinds is possibly getting one in the same year as a $30 million gigacoaster.

^Actually a lot of people care about his clue, it's fun to speculate and try to figure these things out while we wait over the off season. There's no reason to be rude about it dude. I'm so sick of all these rude people on this thread that don't care about other people's opinions and don't care if someone has a clue or whatever. Just stop being so darn rude.

Opening Day has been posted, it's Friday May 15th.

Darn it, I have to miss Opening Day again next year.

The other thing that bothers me is why they wait until mid-May to open. If VF can stay open until early November, then they should at least be able to open in mid-April.

The other thing that bothers me is why they wait until mid-May to open. If VF can stay open until early November, then they should at least be able to open in mid-April.

I feel your pain, a lot of people I assume will have to miss it because of work and school. I wonder why they open on a Friday instead of a Saturday? And I agree, I really wish the park would open in mid-April, then it would be open for my birthday.

I feel your pain, a lot of people I assume will have to miss it because of work and school. I wonder why they open on a Friday instead of a Saturday? And I agree, I really wish the park would open in mid-April, then it would be open for my birthday.

What is the temp in Minnesota mid April

I think the only reason they are open in October and November is Haunt. Haunt gets people to visit and spend money which makes it worth it for the park. When I went on Saturday the park was dead with Halloween over (I was not there at night though). And from the reports on here Sunday was even worse if you could get 17 rides in a row (as cool as that is its not good for the park). Without an event as big as Haunt I doubt it would it be worth for the park to open in April, just too hit and miss for cold weather when all you have to offer is rides. Haunt can be done in the cold and still draw people, with just rides you would only get the amusement park geeks or pass holders like ourselves showing up in April. The general population will just wait for a warmer day if it is just rides being offered. So I guess the trick is to come up with an idea the park can use to draw people in on weekends during the hit or miss weather days in the spring to make it worth while for the park to open. I think opening the park for a Saturday a week or two ahead of the opening date and have a special like 'Double Ride Day' (meaning you get to go twice in a row with de-boarding) could maybe draw enough people whether it was cold or not. I am up for anything to get the park open earlier too. Maybe even a Season Pass Holders Day sometime in April or 1st week in May to get a crowd in there. And thanks VFVSGirl16 for posting the opening date.

What is the temp in Minnesota mid April

This should help http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/daily/USMN0685?climoMonth=4

Mid April (April 15) average high is 60* F and November 2 average high is 51*F. If you want it in more detail you can click the link.

Valleyfair just posted a POV of Steel Venom on their YouTube channel. That's a first, as I've never seen an official park POV of any other ride there. I think it's a decent quality POV. One odd thing is that the holding brake is turned off for some reason. Now that they've posted this, I wonder if they'll post any other coaster POVs in the future.

That's strange that they would have the holding brake off in the POV. I'm glad that they made a POV, however, I find it strange that they would start off with a coaster that is essentially a U, not the most exiting POV... I'm hoping to see more of these to help me battle the off-season.

Also, do you guys think there is a possibility of Valleyfair beginning to make videos like Cedar Point's Pointcast? It would be especially nice because now we have major construction. Just a thought.