TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

^ There is also a restroom right next to Chickie and Pete's on the Renegade side next to the smoking section in addition to the bathrooms actually inside Chickie and Pete's. They probably still need to replace the bathroom some place close but just not in that exact location. Gotta make that path better. And if they use pavers like in Camp Snoopy it should look great.

Edited by RCjunkie

If I head out to Haunt this weekend like I'm planning, should I try to take some pics while I'm there? And post them on my blog and/or here. I don't want to bore you all with pictures, but I would love to and be more than happy to take some photos and upload some if you guys want to see some.

If I head out to Haunt this weekend like I'm planning, should I try to take some pics while I'm there? And post them on my blog and/or here. I don't want to bore you all with pictures, but I would love to and be more than happy to take some photos and upload some if you guys want to see some.

^

Sure, I love seeing VF pictures. You could post them on this thread. garyman6 said that construction on the waterpark expansion is starting this week, so it would be nice to see pictures of it.

Please do, it's Haunt season! I doubt people will get bored and if they do they can click on something else. Personally I think it would be great if you took pictures and posted them here, you seem to have a great passion for Haunt. Like most in this thread I like anything that has to do with VF. If you take/post more than 15-20 pictures and want talk about your trip in a little detail you may even want to create a separate VF Haunt trip report thread. I am sure other Haunt fans around the country would like to see what VF does for Haunt.

I'm sure I've seen most of you, I'm almost over 80 visits this year. Its really fun to work at the park, if you guys are over 14 you can work at the park. The best part is being able to see stuff behind the scenes and hear the rumors about new rides or attractions coming

I find my self spending much of my time spent in line wondering if I know anyone in the vicinity and un-intentionally eavesdropping on fellow riders, all the time wondering if I know them via their internet message-board persona..

As far as working at VF, I have heard very mixed accounts. A few people have told me that no matter how much you are into coasters or theme-parks in general, that working at VF can get very old very fast (as can anywhere). Others have expressed how awesome it is and never getting old.

Hopefully I'll find out first-hand in the near-future.

I find my self spending much of my time spent in line wondering if I know anyone in the vicinity and un-intentionally eavesdropping on fellow riders, all the time wondering if I know them via their internet message-board persona..

I find myself wondering this almost every single time I'm there... I bet I've ran into quite a few of you without even knowing it.

As you said about working there, I've heard the same things you have. Some think it's great, some think it gets tiring, I guess I won't be able to say one of those until I work there. I really want to audition to be in a Live Entertainment show there next season, and if that doesn't work out I might end up working something in the summer (maybe). I for sure want to be a scarer at next year's Haunt as well. I feel like it would be fun to be at the park basically everyday, but I'm sure hot, busy days aren't that fun, plus you don't really get that fun "guest" feeling.

On a side note, if I end up doing a Photo TR for tomorrow (like I plan on doing, because yay, Haunt with my family), where would I post it? I don't know how much I'll end up hitting tomorrow while I'm there, but I can always combine thoughts from this weekend and this past weekend together, if need be (actually, I was planning that, unless it's too confusing to do 2 trips in one review).

If you decide to make a separate thread for the trip report, you would just make a new topic in the Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys forum, if you want to post it here, just post it like any other post. Looking forward to the photos!

I'm sure I've seen most of you, I'm almost over 80 visits this year. Its really fun to work at the park, if you guys are over 14 you can work at the park. The best part is being able to see stuff behind the scenes and hear the rumors about new rides or attractions coming

As far as working at VF, I have heard very mixed accounts. A few people have told me that no matter how much you are into coasters or theme-parks in general, that working at VF can get very old very fast (as can anywhere). Others have expressed how awesome it is and never getting old.

Hopefully I'll find out first-hand in the near-future.

I've heard a lot of mixed review too. I love the park a lot, and i LOVE working there. Even though I pick up trash and replace trash cans for a job. There are days when it sucks, and there are days when it is awesome. Its all a matter if you are a glass half full or a glass half empty kind of person.

Every time I post it gets long winded and ranty... sorry about that, I rarely get to share my opinions and get a bit excited when I get a chance.

I regard Valleyfair as probably the most fun job I've had, but also the hardest. I got with a great team, took every opportunity I could to spend time with them (Lots of Perkins and Applebees), and it's the only job I've had (out of 6) where I really felt I was friends with my team. And the management was great, they were all very customer focused, and I really felt I could trust them to handle situations well and take care of the customers right. Being inside a park is awesome- seeing how things work, why things break, the cool people at all levels, getting to meet a truly diverse group of people, and getting to make a lot of people happy. Like any job it is what you make of it- go in with the right attitude, have a short memory, and lots of patience. It's a truly special experience that can be a lot of fun if you want it to be.

But the long shifts, and longer weeks, wear you out. Open close shifts (9am-10pm with 2x 30 minute breaks, transit time doesn't count) for days on end- maybe a few part days to let you sleep in, but no weekends, no holidays, no paid vacations. In the summer heat it will run you down to nothing, and you still have to find the strength to show up the next day. Plus working in Area 1 (in 2013 the very front of the park- Wave/Carousel/Venom/Challenge Park etc), at 2 of the most physical rides, added to the pain. I wish I owned a fitness monitor (fitbit or something) so I had a count on the distance I walked some of the longest days I worked- it's about a half mile from the cedar gate (employee entrance by the First Aid station) to the Ripcord hut- and I'd walk that 6 times a day. Plus however many reps of the 70 odd feet at Ripcord from the lift to the "workstation" (winch controls/catch platform on the east side), or the 120ish feet at Go Karts every 5 minutes. I did an easy 4 to 5 miles a day of walking. Add lifting suits, bending and reaching, running when you have to manually catch, running to turn spun out karts, pushing karts- Go Karts/Ripcord would wear out every part of you. There's a reason I'm glad to be the final season to have to run that madness. Few other rides are that bad. Monster will ruin your hands and back (the pins used to secure the doors take a lot of force to open, and those doors get heavy after a few dozen reps), but none of the coasters are physically bad, but more mentally so.

But heck- there's something special in saying you worked at an amusement park. I only ran Corkscrew once, but I can still proudly say that I've run a roller coaster in my life. It's a unique way to spend a summer and build a cool group of friends. But don't waste your time in Foods- Rides and Live E are best, Games and Park Services are OK.

TL;DR: Work at Valleyfair while you're young. It's a special experience that can be a lot of fun (but also a lot of stress).

I did map my run when i did a full park sweep shift, I walked 15 miles in 3 hours and 47 minutes. Just a recommendation if someone is thinking of working in park services is, get really good shoes. You'll need them. Anyways the demolition of the subway dining patio is under way. They've removed all of the subway signs and have hollowed out the inner building. On a separate note, I would like to point out the skeletones, Valleyfair's acapella group. I know we had the accafellas in the beginning of the year. I was listening to them today and they really blew me away! It was an amazing performance and this is coming from a guy who isn't much of a "show type."

I did map my run when i did a full park sweep shift, I walked 15 miles in 3 hours and 47 minutes. Just a recommendation if someone is thinking of working in park services is, get really good shoes. You'll need them. Anyways the demolition of the subway dining patio is under way. They've removed all of the subway signs and have hollowed out the inner building. On a separate note, I would like to point out the skeletones, Valleyfair's acapella group. I know we had the accafellas in the beginning of the year. I was listening to them today and they really blew me away! It was an amazing performance and this is coming from a guy who isn't much of a "show type."

Thank you for the update. Glad that demolition/construction is finally underway. I wonder when they will be putting up the construction cam? Hopefully soon.

R.I.P Old Dining Patio and Subway.

So, I didn't get to do anything at Haunt last night besides Live shows and Scarezones, because someone in my family ended up getting sick causing us to end early, but I did take a FEW pictures. When I get back in twoish weeks, I PROMISE I'll take A LOT of pictures and post that Photo TR like promised. But until then, here's a few pictures I DID take... (Also, if you're not busy next Saturday, head out to Dreadwood Haunted Forest in Hudson, Wisconsin! I'm volunteering that night as a scarer.)

341588041_AbnormalAlley.png.4be176144c064e325fa89d29c559db1e.png

Abnormal Alley at night, with the Ferris Wheel in the background.

1140642371_Galaxy!.png.813b9b497c9bfe69b6734647b6aaadff.png

The Galaxy Theater's sign

1974927773_OpeningCeremony.png.3e47f3ebf72f52c841965f2fde69dc79.png

The Opening Ceremony, which consists of all of the monsters dancing to Thriller at the midway stage.

1430353198_ChateauExterior.png.bec1c3b1bbf78756d0047bbf2e51b535.png

My personal favorite, Chateau du Damne

1538237742_Chateausign.png.cadb85b8d528c9fa56705715db4362f2.png

Chateau's Sign

Here are a few more pictures I took (Sorry, I didn't take like any interesting stuff at night, I left pretty early from a family member getting sick while we were there).

350705718_CarnEvilcar.png.109108dff40fac830b57d757d9102a7e.png

The Car in CarnEvil

1499835593_Gargoylething.png.b24c5f00a147bf03b2d117c41a78eb39.png

Here's one of the Gargoyle-like things that can be found on top of buildings in the park. Lots of detail goes into the park decor.

Corkscrew!.png.c34207214604d52acd474f72cf17ff86.png

Corkscrew

439059569_Corkscrewandthesun.png.b14e1c9dc97be5b8bd9331dbae94cc60.png

Here's Corkscrew with the Sun setting, as Haunt was approaching closer.

1452829930_Chateauatthemonsterparade.png.f8d725929502bc5b40b1ae7f550c386a.png

Here are some Chateau monsters (and my friend!) walking in the Monster Parade (6:30 at the gates by First Aid!)

Great to see the pictures! I briefly spoke today with Mr. Frazier about the soak city expansion and briefly went over stuff about the park. He gave me kind of a rough estimate on how large the slide complex will be. The slider tower will be in hydroblaster's lot and the splashdowns for the slides will be where the subway dining patio is. He knows we want a coaster, but he said he also needs to cater to the family and the needs of the water park. Because the water park was in desperate need of revival. Keep watching to see what the near future holds!

He knows we want a coaster, but he said he also needs to cater to the family and the needs of the water park. Because the water park was in desperate need of revival. Keep watching to see what the near future holds!

I really hope him saying this doesn't preclude a new coaster in 2016 or 2017. I don't mean to sound ranty, but Valleyfair already has enough family attractions with Planet Snoopy, Route 76, and some other rides throughout the park. I totally agree with the waterpark expansion, and I'm okay with another one in the next few years, but if we get another family addition in 2016, unless it's a pretty extravagant one, I'll be very upset. It has been said countless times, but VF desperately needs a ride that will knock everyone's socks off.

I don't think I'll want to buy a season pass if they don't get a coaster in 2016. We already filled the needs for family attractions. I also don't mean to sound rant or anything but cmon, we need a new coaster.

sorry to burst your bubble but Canada's Wonderland is getting a massive coaster in 2016 and Cedar Point probably will to

sorry to burst your bubble but Canada's Wonderland is getting a massive coaster in 2016 and Cedar Point probably will to

Why would Cedar Point be getting a new coaster in 2016 when they're getting Rougarou next year? Even though Cedar Fair spoils Cedar Point, I don't see them getting a new coaster two years in a row (I know Rougarou isn't 100% new, but still...).

I don't think I'll want to buy a season pass if they don't get a coaster in 2016. We already filled the needs for family attractions. I also don't mean to sound rant or anything but cmon, we need a new coaster.

Canada's Wonderland is not getting a huge coaster. They got Leviathan which is massive enough, Behemoth for the mega coasters, so expect something other than a massive coaster. They could get something decent at low cost (like a modern woodie) so Valleyfair can get their massive coaster, which could still be a low price tag since massive at Valleyfair would still be around 150 to 199 ft.

Canada's Wonderland is not getting a huge coaster. They got Leviathan which is massive enough, Behemoth for the mega coasters, so expect something other than a massive coaster. They could get something decent at low cost (like a modern woodie) so Valleyfair can get their massive coaster, which could still be a low price tag since massive at Valleyfair would still be around 150 to 199 ft.

They've started land clearing a year and a half early so trust me Canada's Wonderland is getting another 30 million dollar coaster, just read the news stories from the park with reporters where they say you saw we built leviathan and behemoth so expect big and innovative

They've started land clearing a year and a half early so trust me Canada's Wonderland is getting another 30 million dollar coaster, just read the news stories from the park with reporters where they say you saw we built leviathan and behemoth so expect big and innovative

They can start land clearing three years ago, it doesn't mean another massive coaster. Yes it does mean a coaster, but im not seeing anything over 20 million. Valleyfair has been stated multiple times of major investment for quite a long time now officially. What you are basing a massive coaster at Canada's Wonderland is only speculation.