TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I'm considering going to Haunt for the first time on Saturday night. How bad will lines be for the Haunt mazes and the coasters?

Oooh, Haunt for the first time- How exciting!! They might be a little longer since it'll be nice weather, but it shouldn't be too unbearable. My friend who works there said probably around 20 minute wait for some mazes, which is pretty normal, especially for the "more popular" mazes. Have a great time if you go! I'll be there as well.

Don't know how many people would be interested, but I'm heading out to Haunt tomorrow and I plan on Live Tweeting about everything, including Skeleton Key. If for some reason you're interested in seeing those tweets, check out my Twitter (my @ name is my username on here). I'm so excited for Haunt!

On the topic of Skeleton Key, does anyone know if I can be touched when in the rooms? That's my only fear at this point..

^^ Mostly all of the Haunted-House type attractions I've been to abide by the "if you don't touch us, we won't touch you" policy. I would assume it's fairly universal, given our high propensity for lawsuits in America. Don't quote me on that though.

As far as the quality of VF's haunted attractions, I haven't been there in a few years but the last time I was there, both the general theming throughout the park, and the mazes were top-notch. And, from what I've heard, it's gotten a lot better. The only minus for me, was the fact that only a couple of the rides were operating at the time I went, Wild thing, and High-roller (maybe Corkscrew), but that's probably subject to frequent change.

If you're already in the area, and assuming you have extra cash to spend, "Spookyworld", which is about 5 miles away is an awesome haunt too, and it takes a good while to see everything. It's called something else now, have to look it up. It's on the Renaissance grounds.

I'm at VF right now, and everything is running great today (except High Roller ). A few of Wild Thing's trims are turned off, making for a better than average second half. Renegade is running great as always. I thought I'd see some waterpark demolition/construction, but there is still none.

I just heard a really dumb GP comment: "They're taking out Renegade." (big facepalm) If Valleyfair removed Renegade, I'd probably discontinue my season pass.

Hey guys I was sweeping at the park and I saw something kinda suspicious. I was at front gate when I saw 6-7 security guards sprinting towards wild thing. So later I go by wild thing and the whole area was blocked off by security guards wearing latex gloves. Wild Thing was evacuated as well. I asked my supervisor and team lead what happened and they said they couldnt say anything. Kinda weird.

Hey guys I was sweeping at the park and I saw something kinda suspicious. I was at front gate when I saw 6-7 security guards sprinting towards wild thing. So later I go by wild thing and the whole area was blocked off by security guards wearing latex gloves. Wild Thing was evacuated as well. I asked my supervisor and team lead what happened and they said they couldnt say anything. Kinda weird.

I went to ride Wild Thing at about 11:30 today, and an employee told me "There's nothing wrong with the ride, but we need to clear the area." I really don't know what that meant. Whatever it was, it couldn't have been too serious because it reopened an hour later. Although, it might have been for the best because about half of the mid-course trims were turned off, so I got some better-than-normal airtime on the last 4 hills .

On another note, I think that Corkscrew might discontinue on-ride photos altogether soon because the photo booth is almost always closed (including today). However, I still don't think Corkscrew will be going anywhere anytime soon. Corkscrew is probably here to stay for at least another decade.

^

That's confusing. They were running two trains this afternoon when I was there. Considering that Haunt is a lot more crowded than Planet Spooky, you think it would be the other way around. Valleyfair can be a strange animal sometimes...

On the topic of Skeleton Key, does anyone know if I can be touched when in the rooms? That's my only fear at this point..

I worked as a monster one night (Didn't really enjoy it, it has it's moments, but I don't find being scared fun, consequently I don't really like scaring people. But a good scream is addicting.....) and really the only rule is "Don't Touch Guests". It really narrows down what you can do, even little things like tapping people on the shoulder are too risky.

This is ridiculous. I am at Valleyfair right now and Wild thing was operating with ONE TRAIN. The whole line queue is full, and it never is. The employees are doing an awful job. Ugh

I'm sorry if this comes off ranty, just hoping to give everyone an insight into the madness that is operating an amusement park. There are probably layers of problems here. First, ride ops are almost never to blame for operational issues. Customer experience is a ride ops #1 goal, and we love to make it the best possible. Trust me, every ride op on Wild Thing today left frustrated. The managers are probably the ones to blame, but even then it probably isn't fully their fault. Haunt staffing levels get really thin, often just enough to operate and do lunches. So if someone called in sick on Wild Thing, or another ride, someone could have been shuffled so that another ride could operate and left Wild Thing without enough to go up to two trains. Sacrificed capacity at one ride to operate another. Additionally, Ride Ops have to be specially trained to run at two trains- if some of the Ops were newer, or subs from other rides,they may have not had the proper training. Or it could be mechanical- the third train takes a lot of time to get on the track, so if one train went down with an issue, they may have been stuck with only one. Heck, the whole issue could be because Andy (rides manager) got his math a little off when he first set up the staffing levels back in May.

When you're at Valleyfair, or any amusement park, and it's operating well, you're seeing a well balanced house of cards. One little thing- a down ride, a sick employee, a poorly timed lunch, and the whole thing starts to collapse. Operating an amusement park isn't like playing Rollercoaster Tycoon. It's like playing FTL. A mean rogue-like that teases you with success then laughs as it blows it all up. Enjoy it when it works, but feel for the employees when it doesn't. Remember that most of the kids there are working 12+ hour days for less than $10 an hour. When things go wrong it's even worse for them.

Again, sorry if this comes off a bit rant like or angry. I can understand that you posted this in a moment of frustration, and probably weren't thinking too clearly. But after 6 years of working bottom of the foodchain jobs I can't help but feel sorry for employees who get stuck in crappy situations, and had to sieze the oportuinity to educate on what you may not realize is going on.

TL;DR: It's a giant house of cards, and sometimes little things are enough knock the whole thing down.

riptide.thumb.jpg.994c464dc1fe2e3d984af41fd1c774ef.jpg

Absolutely stunning day today at the park. Riptide was running with full water fountains. The Wave was also running today. It's September 28th People!

2113409823_valleyfair9-28-14.thumb.jpg.aa463785316b90917ccd13c07bd20238.jpg

Just confirmed today from Mr. Frazier that the Subway along with the dining patio is gone! The game booths on the right, gone! The bathroom on the corner by Wild Mouse, gone. All to make way for the Soak City expansion!

bloodcreek.thumb.jpg.de25a0f496411848ac3696666965b7b8.jpg

RIP Bloodcreek Cemetary. Construction begins next week on the new slide tower. 90 feet almost straight down! That's in the top 15 world wide! Pretty Awesome

O.K. People, had a great few hours at Valleyfair today. I was able to meet RCJunkie today and had a good time visiting with him! Mr. Frazier was very busy today so I only had about 15 to 20 min with him. I asked about the dollar amount of Soak City expansion. He said it was over 6 million. I asked about the splash pad area and why it wasn't something bigger. Mr. Frazier told me that the expansions that will be added next year will give them options for the next few years. He added that people have asked why they were adding more drop slides when they already have two. I asked him if VF plans to paint and freshen up the existing slides. Mr. Frazier just laughed and gave me an answer that suggested that the existing slide complex may be on the chopping block in the next few years and replaced with new. I really got that impression when he mentioned having options. So, let's break this down. Put in a big new expanded splash pad. This frees up the existing splash pad for a multi level jungle gym type of water play area like we all would like to see. Also, VF probably does not have plans to paint the existing slides because again in the next few years the plan looks to be to replace it. One last bit of very interesting information. We were talking about Cedar Fairs comments on Valleyfair being a top growth park. Of course he can't say much but it sounds like corporate is please with Valleyfair's performance despite the floods earlier in the year. He also said that if you had asked him what was coming to Valleyfair in 2016 he could have probably told you what was coming but he said that has now changed. What that exactly means is anybody's guess but we can speculate. That's all I can remember right now. I'll post more later and I still owe another hint from rumors that I have heard for 2016.

^

Good to know that the old dining patio is officially leaving. With the new Picnic Point by Route 76, the old one serves no purpose anymore. $6+ million isn't a bad investment at all. In comparison, Renegade cost $6.5 million, so this isn't the cheapest of investments made in this park. Based on what Mr. Frazier said, it also sounds like another SC expansion will be coming along in a few years, which is definitely needed because while I'm happy with this expansion, the waterpark still needs more.

This is ridiculous. I am at Valleyfair right now and Wild thing was operating with ONE TRAIN. The whole line queue is full, and it never is. The employees are doing an awful job. Ugh

I was there from about 4pm to almost 11pm, and they were running two trains every time I rode wild thing. We did stop on the lift hill the last time, and they had to make someone put away their cell phone. Ugh. People need to follow the rules. Overall a great haunt experience. Both wild thing and renegade were running extremely well. For a much as we all hope for a new B&M invert in 2016, I forget how good the air time can be on wild thing. It had amazing air time yesterday!!!

I'm sorry if this comes off ranty, just hoping to give everyone an insight into the madness that is operating an amusement park. There are probably layers of problems here. First, ride ops are almost never to blame for operational issues. Customer experience is a ride ops #1 goal, and we love to make it the best possible. Trust me, every ride op on Wild Thing today left frustrated. The managers are probably the ones to blame, but even then it probably isn't fully their fault. Haunt staffing levels get really thin, often just enough to operate and do lunches. So if someone called in sick on Wild Thing, or another ride, someone could have been shuffled so that another ride could operate and left Wild Thing without enough to go up to two trains. Sacrificed capacity at one ride to operate another. Additionally, Ride Ops have to be specially trained to run at two trains- if some of the Ops were newer, or subs from other rides,they may have not had the proper training. Or it could be mechanical- the third train takes a lot of time to get on the track, so if one train went down with an issue, they may have been stuck with only one. Heck, the whole issue could be because Andy (rides manager) got his math a little off when he first set up the staffing levels back in May.

When you're at Valleyfair, or any amusement park, and it's operating well, you're seeing a well balanced house of cards. One little thing- a down ride, a sick employee, a poorly timed lunch, and the whole thing starts to collapse. Operating an amusement park isn't like playing Rollercoaster Tycoon. It's like playing FTL. A mean rogue-like that teases you with success then laughs as it blows it all up. Enjoy it when it works, but feel for the employees when it doesn't. Remember that most of the kids there are working 12+ hour days for less than $10 an hour. When things go wrong it's even worse for them.

Again, sorry if this comes off a bit rant like or angry. I can understand that you posted this in a moment of frustration, and probably weren't thinking too clearly. But after 6 years of working bottom of the foodchain jobs I can't help but feel sorry for employees who get stuck in crappy situations, and had to sieze the oportuinity to educate on what you may not realize is going on.

TL;DR: It's a giant house of cards, and sometimes little things are enough knock the whole thing down.

I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for horrible operations and one train operation due to short staffing with operators that do not put much effort into efficiency. Every park has to deal with these issues, but it is important to see what parks handle it the best. If a park, like Valleyfair, is clear that they failed upon having decent operations on Wild Thing, it is the park's fault. While I do agree that it is not entirely the ride op's fault, I do feel that it is perfectly acceptable to say that the ride ops are doing an awful job.

I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for horrible operations and one train operation due to short staffing with operators that do not put much effort into efficiency. Every park has to deal with these issues, but it is important to see what parks handle it the best. If a park, like Valleyfair, is clear that they failed upon having decent operations on Wild Thing, it is the park's fault. While I do agree that it is not entirely the ride op's fault, I do feel that it is perfectly acceptable to say that the ride ops are doing an awful job.

I have to agree. Running one train and having slow operations when there is a full queue line on a busy Haunt night is completely unacceptable. If the other two trains were having mechanical issues, then I could understand it, but they were running two trains earlier in the day, so that was definitely not the case.

I encountered something similar at Valleyfair back in July. Renegade had a nearly full queue line, but they were running one train. That just isn't acceptable at all.

Also, they finally put the 2nd train on Wild Thing after I tweeted out to Dave that the line was piling up. But still after that the 2nd train would have to wait at least 2 minutes on the brake run while the ops worked on getting the 1st train out of the station. But I do have to say, I had the BEST ride on Wild Thing I have ever experienced. The 1st drop was absolutely insane! It's so much fun at night.

So now I'm going to give you a short park trip review:

We arrived at the park around 7:30 on Saturday night. The line to get in was long, but I was impressed with how fast the security guards were checking people. Got in pretty quickly. The first thing we did was head to the mazes.

ZOMBIE HIGH- This maze was pretty good, I really like the whole high school dance thing and the football zombies got a good scare out of me. 7/10

HellSide Farm - I absolutely love this maze. The corn maze theming was really cool, and the monsters did a great job at scareing people. 8/10

London Terror- This maze was moved to the new "building" behind High Roller. I was impressed by how large it was too. They did a great job. But I do feel they could have put more monsters in the maze. We literally walked through half the maze without seeing a single monster. It could be a really amazing maze, just needs some work. 7/10

Camp Wekilou- This was one the most popular mazes, and I feel like they took out half of the buildings. It seemed alot shorter than usual, and I just wasn't impressed. 6/10

Mr. Cleaver ' s Blood shed - This maze literally wasn't scary at all. It's more kinda gross and gory than scary. And the loud noise when the cleaver hits the table just hurts your ears. I can see why this one isn't very popular. - 5/10

The Asylum - This had to be the best maze there. I absolutely loved it, and the lady in the front before you go in is hilarious! "If you touch any of the monsters you'll have to lick my tam*on." Lol - 9/10

Chateau- We didn't get to go in this maze, the line was extremely long.

Time for the rides.

Wild Thing- Like I said the line was horrible and the ops weren't putting in full effort, but the ride itself was one of the best I've ever had. - 8/10

Steel Venom - This ride was running great and the back seat is my all time favorite because of the straight pike. 8/10

Renegade - This coaster is my all time favorite. Especially at night! The ops were hauling and they were operating 2 trains. It was also my best ride on this coaster too because it was my first time riding it at night. Absolutely amazing. - 10/10

Xtreme Swing - This ride never fails to scare me, I absolutely love it 8/10

Power Tower - Terrifying at night. Gives amazing views though. 7/10

Corkscrew - Fun ride, it was a walk on, so we rode a couple of times. 7/10

Mad Mouse - It was running ok. Not impressed though. They turned on the brakes at the top of the hill so the turns were really slow and boring. 5/10

High Roller - Line was packed, so we didn't feel the need to ride it.

Overall it was a really fun night and I had a great time. I love all the theming around the park and the fog makes all the rides a lot more fun.

Hey all! Quick trip review (short version) from yesterday!

High Roller- Decent ride yesterday. I think I had a group of VF enthusiasts behind me because they were screaming "YAY! VALLEYFAIR IS NUMBER ONE!" and stuff like that.

Wild Thing- BEST ride I've had on WT all season. Fast, smooth, it was great. And it was fun going into the fog!

Abnormal Alley- Disappointing this year... Last year I LOVED it, this year I saw maybe 3 scarers in it.

Blood Creek Cemetery- My favorite scarezone last night. Lots of fog (infact, I couldn't see anything) and lots of nice scares.

Carnevil: Ringmaster's Revenge- Had SO much potential, but I'm still not feeling it. Clowns are creepy, but if they don't try scaring people and just walk past what's the point?

DinoSlaughter- Just no.. I'd rather not even talk about it.

Asylum- So much fun! I liked the blinding lights and fog which hid scarers well and made for some pretty unexpected scares. It got pretty crazy. And the Skeleton Key room wasn't horribly gross (plus, I solved it! )

Bloodshed- My new favorite. SO much fun, and it was actually terrifying for me and my cousin. SO many good scares, and we were CHASED out by 2 butchers screaming things at us. Only maze of the night I was actually screaming and jumping, otherwise I usually just jumped.

Camp Wekilou- Really dark and eerie. Lots of scares from people under bunks, lots of funny comments from camp goers. The camp counselor was fun too. Skeleton Key room was "hard" at first, but once we got out we got to watch the next person go through it and it made me feel incredibly stupid.

Chateau du Damne- Always a favorite. Love everything about it, from the butler introducing you to the "castle" to the hair hallway and the exit. Skeleton Key room was yucky (I actually thought I would puke), but I got a free souvenir out of it.

Hellside Farm- Very "claustrophobic" feeling. Lots of nice scares from people dressed like scarecrows and hiding in the corn. Was confused when I first got in, but I'm pretty sure there was only one way to go.

London Terror- I personally think it was better than last year, even though it had the same accents and mostly the same layout. I got to be the FIRST person through of the night, which was an unexpected surprise. One of the monsters somehow knew my name so my name got through the house. Had a few good scares, but it has potential to become something even greater. The Skeleton Key room was absolutely terrifying to me.

Zombie High- Was great last year, was even better this year! Lots of things made me jump and there was one very good ping-pong style scare we got as we went through. Skeleton Key room was absolutely disgusting and I was almost going to scream the safe word, but I refused to chicken out. Apparently we took to long though, because we didn't do it all according to some people. Last room confused me, because there were no scarers?

Hacks: Live Dudes!- Mostly the same Hacks as last year, besides a few new little things. Recommended 13 and up, because of some swearing, sexual jokes, and some material may be offensive. Love it because no two shows are the same (Yay, improv!).

Ritual of Fire- Basically Blood Drums, but I liked it better. Think Blood Drums plus Fire jugglers and dancers. Really upbeat drumming.

Also caught the opening ceremony at the beginning, which was a nice little change than what usually happens. Check it out at 6:45 at the Midway Stage if you find yourself at Haunt. Also, the guy with the drum somehow scared me with the drum. Fun stuff.

Overall, Skeleton Key was totally worth it because the rooms were intense, and I got to skip lines, saving me a ton of time. Haunt's really stepped it up and I'm glad I can say I've finally done everything. So much fun!

That's my short review, trying not to spoil too much. If you wanna read my review in detail, check it out on my blog! (http://livelaughlovee13.wordpress.com/2014/09/28/haunt-2014-review-9272014-visit/)

Hey Madsecar and VFVSGirl,

I am visiting Minnesota on Friday, October 10th and was going to check out the Halloween Haunt from 7 PM to Midnight. I want to hit all the best mazes and coasters, do you think I need the fast lane/skeleton key pass? I know VFVSGirl said it was definitely worth it, just wondering if either of you could go into a little more details on what the lines are looking like.

I'm also a little confused on the whole skeleton room thing.

Hey Madsecar and VFVSGirl,

I am visiting Minnesota on Friday, October 10th and was going to check out the Halloween Haunt from 7 PM to Midnight. I want to hit all the best mazes and coasters, do you think I need the fast lane/skeleton key pass? I know VFVSGirl said it was definitely worth it, just wondering if either of you could go into a little more details on what the lines are looking like.

I'm also a little confused on the whole skeleton room thing.

Hey! So lines last night (and I heard last weekend as well) were 15-20 minute waits. I think Fright Lane/Skeleton Key is worth it just because you bypass the line for each maze once, and most Of them have an exclusive room where you need to find your way out. Lines might not be as bad on a Friday, but I'm not sure because I've never gone on a Friday. If you wanna get there and wait to see how lines are, you can always buy Fright Lane at the park. The skeleton key rooms are exclusive little rooms that are basically challenge rooms, and they're quite fun and disgusting. If you have any more questions, let me know! I have more details about everything on my blog, but I definitely spoil everything on there so if you wanna be surprised, don't read it. Have a great time at Haunt- don't forget to do a trip review!

Hey! Well it really comes down to if you want to do the Skeleton Key or not. I went this recent Friday and Saturday and it was much less busy on Friday, so lines should not be a problem! If you want to spend the extra money for skeleton key and a little faster lines, go for it! But if you don't think it is worth the money, you'll be just fine! Let me know if you have any more questions!

We're shortlisting the Twin Cities for our summer vacation next year, and I'm wanting some help on what to expect at Valleyfair. We last went to Minnesota in April 2007. Valleyfair wasn't open that early in the season, but we did the Park at MOA. So I'm excited to get to ride all the additional things that have been added since Nickelodeon took over, but since we've been there before, I've got a good idea of what to expect. Valleyfair is a bit less familiar to me. Worlds of Fun is the only Cedar Fair park I've been to, so I'm drawing a bit on my experience there, but I've got a few questions too. Our plan is for a weekday in late July.

1. Fast Lane for Valleyfair seems very cheap. How does it differ from the Flash Pass for Six Flags? Would it be necessary on a weekday in late July?

2. Waterpark Fast Lane--The website doesn't seem to indicate that Fast Lane is available for the waterpark. Is there a different line-skip system like Six Flags has, or is it just not available at all?

3. If Fast Lane is not available for the water park, how are the lines there? Is the waterpark more or less popular than the theme park? I'm especially interested in the new thrill slides, and I imagine the line will be lengthy for those.

4. What are the can't miss/unique rides there? I've ridden everything in Missouri, but not a whole lot outside the state, so even clones are okay if no Missouri park has one.

5. Day trips from the Twin Cities--I'm looking at maybe trying to work Arnolds Park in. Is it worth going? If you've been there, what was your experience like? Are there any other cool things to see within a couple hours' drive from MSP? I've already been to Duluth and I feel I've done all that city has to offer.

^

1) A Fast Lane on a weekday would not be necessary unless you're seriously pressed for time (2-3 hours). If you were to get it, you can bypass the regular line on 13 rides an unlimited amount of times.

2) Soak City does not have Fast Lane or a line-skipping system.

3) The waterpark is usually never very busy unless it is a swelteringly hot day. Although, the new slide package looks like it will be a crowd-grabber, so go ride those first thing in the morning when Soak City opens.

4) The must-ride coasters are Renegade (GCI woodie), Wild Thing (Morgan hyper), and Steel Venom (Intamin Impulse). Xtreme Swing and Power Tower (Space Shot) are the must-ride flat rides. Enterprise is a personal favorite flat of mine. Northern Lights is a pretty fun family ride. Corkscrew is a smooth ride for a 34-year-old Arrow. High Roller is an old school wooden coaster that's a fun ride but trimmed to death . I'd ride Mad Mouse and Excalibur just once to get the credit. Renegade is VF's best coaster, ride it in the last row to get a really awesome ride. Wild Thing also has some good air if you sit in the front car.

5) Arnold's Park looks like a nice little park, but it's in the middle of nowhere in Northern Iowa, and it's a 3-hour drive from the Twin Cities. Their old-school woodie was just retracked by GCI, but all things considered, I'm not sure that it would be worth going out of your way that much. As for other stuff to do in state, I haven't lived here for very long, but Minnesota has a lot of lovely nature and great state parks. Rochester, St. Cloud, and Mankato have some interesting things to do, but the best stuff will be in MSP.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope that helped. Have a nice trip next year.

Judging by the reviews on your blog "Skeleton Key" is and attempt to bring in some more interactive elements like the milder stuff from Blackout. I was there on Saturday and saw the start of the monster parade, and the person next to me got a good scare when one the monsters broke formation and charged at him.

Wild Thing- why not 3 trains. What's the point of having 3 if they don't run them when the lines are that long?

^ The parade was the only thing I missed. When/where was it? I also don't understand why they didn't have 3 trains running, because it was like a 20ish minute wait. It would've been a lot worse though if they only had one train running, I'm glad they had two. Right before I got on the train before me stopped on the lift hill, better them than me. On the topic of WT, I find it a lot more fun in the dark during Haunt season because you go diving into the fog. Just me? :

I asked about the dollar amount of Soak City expansion. He said it was over 6 million. I asked about the splash pad area and why it wasn't something bigger. Mr. Frazier told me that the expansions that will be added next year will give them options for the next few years. He added that people have asked why they were adding more drop slides when they already have two. I asked him if VF plans to paint and freshen up the existing slides. Mr. Frazier just laughed and gave me an answer that suggested that the existing slide complex may be on the chopping block in the next few years and replaced with new. I really got that impression when he mentioned having options....Of course he can't say much but it sounds like corporate is please with Valleyfair's performance despite the floods earlier in the year. He also said that if you had asked him what was coming to Valleyfair in 2016 he could have probably told you what was coming but he said that has now changed. What that exactly means is anybody's guess but we can speculate. That's all I can remember right now. I'll post more later and I still owe another hint from rumors that I have heard for 2016.

Thanks for sharing the information from GM Frazier, it was fun to hit the park and meet you on Saturday. That is great news to hear about them removing the games island, patio and bathrooms for the waterpark expansion. If they put pavers in walking path there that will just look great. Also good news to hear that this probably isn't the only expansion for the waterpark over the next few years, happy they chose the slide package they did because it looks better than a Snake Pit like other CF parks. With this additional information I am much more appreciative of the expansion, especially with how they will redesign that walking path between the water park and Mad Mouse. Interesting how GM Dave says "plans have changed for 2016". Hopefully for the better compared to what plans they already had in place. And thanks to the others posting their Haunt experiences, it will help me plan when I go.