TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I haven't been to any of the haunts for a few years, but favorites were Chateau, Hellside, and Asylum. Weikilleu was OK, I didn't like Bloodshed. Haven't been to London Terror or Zombies. I'm more for atmospheric horror than gore, jump scenes or people yelling boo in your ears, but there were some pretty ingenious actors towards the end of Chateau and Hellside.

Hi fellow Minnesotans,

A friend and I are planning to go to Valleyscare this Saturday. For those who have been in the past, what should we expect for lines? We thought going the first day Valleyscare is open would be a better bet. Should we plan to get fast passes for the haunts? Are there certain haunts that are not to be missed?

Thanks!

Mark

From working Haunt last year I recommend going earlier in the day, maybe 2 or 3 in the Afternoon, if not being there at open. You can hit all of the big rides with little stress and limited lines (staffing is often low this late in the year), and be in line for whatever maze you are most excited for right when it opens. If the weather's nice the place gets super busy around 6 (second weekend in October had lines for parking extending down the highway), and the fun decreases from there. The staff is more tired, the lines are longer, but since you've ridden everything you wanted to, you don't care.

Oh, and the forecast shows rain Saturday. Bring a jacket, and maybe a Ziploc for your phone.

^ Yes, the park stays open during that time. If you do go early being at the employee entrance to the park located in between the first aid station and High Roller's last turn at around 5:30 to 6 pm is fun because at that time all of the zombies/monsters/ghouls and ghosts that populate the Haunts all come out at once in a mass force before they disperse to all of their area's. Cool to see because there is still some daylight and is a nice kick off for the evening. Make sure to ride Wild Thing at night, it's fun to look over the park at the top of the lift hill and see half of it covered in fog and all the lights of the other rides. Plus on the bunny hills on the way back to the station the fog covers the bottom have of those hills so as you go over them you go 'in and out' of the fog as you go up and down.

Was doing some more personal speculating, and I think that The Wave should probably get the boot one of these days. Even though the ride does it's job pretty well (cooling you off on a hot summer day), it is really not that popular. The longest line I've ever seen it have is about five minutes, and considering that it is one of the closest rides to the entrance, I think it shows that most guests aren't interested in it. There are normally more people watching it than riding it. Even though it's mostly kids that ride it, it should still get removed. It is one of the rides on the Fast Lane pass, but it really doesn't need to be. The land that The Wave sits on could very well be used for a new flat ride like a Zamperla Air Race. Also, I have a feeling that Corkscrew will bite the dust in about 10 years or so, and if they remove The Wave along with it, that could open up room for a good-sized new coaster because by that time, I think VF will be due for another new coaster (hopefully an RMC, but that's just a pipe dream for now). Although, if The Wave does go, I would miss the iconic wave that it makes.

tr14_506.jpg.6abe30e76df7468af0a074187621b18a.jpg

I seriously doubt we'll get rid of corkscrew in the next century. Until we're at a park status like Cedar Point where we don't have room for more rides, we aren't going to remove a popular coaster. Also I've ridden a Zamperla Air Race and I personally wasn't thrilled, was probably on the lower end of all the flat rides I've ridden. I just didn't really think the concept was very fun. I could see the wave getting removed in 5-10 years, but logically VF wouldn't remove it until they NEED that land, and at the moment we've got plenty of other land we could use (Wild Thing turn around, space between AA's and the amphitheater, and the amphitheater, old tilt-a-wirl location, need I go on?). If it did they would have to replace it with a front-of-the-park friendly ride that would have a "wow" factor to guests walking in. Plausible but I double we will see it happen till we utilize of other pieces of land.

Was just on the City of Shakopee's website, and based on a part this article below, it looks like it's pretty much official that Valleyfair will be getting a new electronic entrance sign for 2015. Overall, I am happy that we are getting one because most other CF parks already have an electronic sign, so this will help VF get on track with the other CF parks in this department. Also, this is more money that Cedar Fair is injecting into Valleyfair, so this could be considered an extra addition if you thought the Soak City expansion was too small. However, the sign is pretty iconic, so I hope it can be saved/preserved in some way. I will miss seeing it when I go to the park.

Council to allow Valleyfair’s new entry sign to change message more frequently

The City Council approved an appeal by Valleyfair regarding a Planned Unit Development amendment for a new entry sign. Last month, Valleyfair requested that the City allow its new electronic sign to use streaming and active video, which varies from City Code's requirement that video does not change more frequently than every 60 seconds. On an appeal before the City Council, Valleyfair modified its request to provide for image change to occur every eight seconds. For more information, contact Michael Leek, Community Development Director, (952) 233-9346.

image.jpg.cb9dab949b3c7039a8f4780603163488.jpg

So long, old Valleyfair sign...

Remove Corkscrew and replace it with a B&M dive machine and use the Waves pool for a splashdown. That'd be cool.

I've had a similar thought: using the wave's pool for a splashdown/water effect. But a way to keep the bridge. There are times when I would like to go on the bridge without riding the wave. I'm sure that several others feel this way too.

I seriously doubt we'll get rid of corkscrew in the next century. Until we're at a park status like Cedar Point where we don't have room for more rides, we aren't going to remove a popular coaster.

I don't think you realize how long a century is. By the time the next century arrives, we'll all be dead. I could see it staying for the next decade or maybe two, but there's no way Corkscrew (or any other coaster for that matter) would be kept for that long. Corkscrew is not a popular coaster by any means, in comparison to Wild Thing, Renegade or Steel Venom.

^

Corkscrew can be a relatively popular ride at times. Not necessarily on the level of Renegade, WT, or SV, but I've seen it have a full queue on some days. But you are right that it probably will be gone within the next 20 years. I really like Corkscrew, but it's unfortunately not going last until the end of the century.

I seriously doubt we'll get rid of corkscrew in the next century. Until we're at a park status like Cedar Point where we don't have room for more rides, we aren't going to remove a popular coaster.

I don't think you realize how long a century is. By the time the next century arrives, we'll all be dead. I could see it staying for the next decade or maybe two, but there's no way Corkscrew (or any other coaster for that matter) would be kept for that long. Corkscrew is not a popular coaster by any means, in comparison to Wild Thing, Renegade or Steel Venom.

Its a saying lol, don't take it literally. It just means "I seriously doubt it's leaving anytime soon". Also Corkscrew can have a very long line during busy times of the season and haunt, it might be unpopular if you compare it to bigger/new rides, or corkscrews at different parks. But in no way is it unpopular enough to get removed just do to poor demand. I mean honestly, you can say Corkscrew is a walk on most of the time, but Renegade is often a walk on too. It depends on how busy VF is, not the ride. Plus if we got rid of every ride that wasn't popular in comparison to Wild Thing, Renegade, and Steel Venom, our park would consist of only Wild Thing, Renegade, and Steel Venom lol.

Also Corkscrew can have a very long line during busy times of the season and haunt, it might be unpopular if you compare it to bigger/new rides, or corkscrews at different parks. But in no way is it unpopular enough to get removed just do to poor demand.

Exactly, plus the VF maintenance crew keeps that Arrow running pretty well after all these years. If you want to talk about a ride being removed due to poor demand then we need to start talking about Excalibur.

Overall, I am happy that we are getting one because most other CF parks already have an electronic sign, so this will help VF get on track with the other CF parks in this department. Also, this is more money that Cedar Fair is injecting into Valleyfair, so this could be considered an extra addition if you thought the Soak City expansion was too small. However, the sign is pretty iconic, so I hope it can be saved/preserved in some way. I will miss seeing it when I go to the park.

I wouldn't consider this as CF putting more money into the park, replacing a sign is more like the cost of doing business. Nobody is coming to the park for the sign out front. And VF will also be the last park in the CF chain to get one. That being said I will also miss this classic one of kind signs when I visit the park, it gave the park a little charm of its own. But since CF is taking that away to make VF more like other parks hopefully then they will do the same for the ride assortment going forward and make VF more like other CF parks (except MiA ).

I wouldn't consider this as CF putting more money into the park, replacing a sign is more like the cost of doing business. Nobody is coming to the park for the sign out front. And VF will also be the last park in the CF chain to get one.

Yeah, I guess it really isn't too significant of an investment since we're one of the last parks in the chain to get one, but the new sign will definitely be a good upgrade for the park since it will help the park advertise a bit better.

Edited by VF15

This wish probably won't come true, but I'm hoping that they will give new paint to the existing slides in the waterpark one of these days because, as you can see below, Soak City could really use some color. Plus, I think repainting the old slides would help boost the waterpark's image. I know that that the new slide complex will have color to it, but only one slide complex with color is honestly pretty lame.

image.jpg.b86e101d09a25be6175f943d59b70028.jpg

^ My guess is that could easily happen this year, I give it a 50/50 chance. They are going to have this bright and shiney new water slide that will bring more attendance to the water park and probably some who have never been to the water park before so they will want to make a good impression in showing off their big new toy and rightfully so. And because of that why wouldn't you want to re-paint the old slides because they do need it? Has to be the cheapest thing they could do to freshen up the area in addition to the new slides. It does need to be done.