TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Excalibur is being demolished! 375 foot Giga coaster Centurion confirmed!

Oh, you!

If Valleyfair does end up building a new coaster in that area, I really hope that they re-direct the entire layout of the pathways. Now that I've been to other, real amusement parks apart from Valleyfair (my home park), I realize how strange Valleyfair's layout is. Especially the dead end at the back of the park.

Do you all think that this means anything? I just noticed this while browsing the website and thought it might be worth a mention. I don't remember Excalibur ever closing pre-haunt. Take a look for yourself.

[url=https://www.valleyfair.com/things-to-do/thrill-rides]https://www.valleyfair.com/things-to-do/thrill-rides[/url

Obviously, the coaster enthusiast in me is thinking OMG OMG 2016, but I'm maintaining realism. I'm heading to Valleyfair tomorrow, and I'll be sure to report anything that I might see.

That is very interesting! It does make you wonder what they have in mind.

On another note, today I was at the park all day and I met a family that drove 8 hours from Winnepeg, Canada just to go to Valleyfair! To me that was encouraging because we all assume that we are only drawing visitors from at most a couple hundred miles away. If Cedar Fair realizes this, this may be why they have marked Valleyfair as a growth park! By the way, they were having a great time!

Do you all think that this means anything? I just noticed this while browsing the website and thought it might be worth a mention. I don't remember Excalibur ever closing pre-haunt. Take a look for yourself.

https://www.valleyfair.com/things-to-do/thrill-rides

Obviously, the coaster enthusiast in me is thinking OMG OMG 2016, but I'm maintaining realism. I'm heading to Valleyfair tomorrow, and I'll be sure to report anything that I might see.

I've been to our haunt once and everything past Renegade was closed. They also usually open up later in the day than the rest of the park on normal operating days. While yes, I think that Excalibur will be removed for whatever's coming in 2016/17, its closing now for the remainder of the season is nothing new.

Sorry to put a damper on the excitement, but Excalibur is not going anywhere. Excalibur always closes during Halloween Haunt each year. September 14th is just the last normal day before the park completely converts to Valleyscare. I think they close Excalibur because it is a low traffic ride, and the park probably doesn't think the operating costs are worth it. If Excalibur was closing for good, we would have seen a FB or Twitter post along the lines of "Come get your final ride on Excalibur before it's history!" Besides, garyman6 found out in his conversation with GM Dave Frazier that Mr. Frazier doesn't want VF to lose any coasters right now. I'm a "quality-over-quantity" type of person, but I agree with that decision because I'd hate to see that plot of land sit empty for a while. I really do wish that Excalibur was leaving, but it simply isn't happening. Sorry.

^ Everything he said. This happens with Excalibur every year because it is not a good coaster and also why it is the only coaster in the park not in the Fast Lane program. Hopefully next year GM Frazier can make a similar tweet like he made this year with some more information like, "Demolition begins in September....come get your last rides on Excalibur!" Dare to dream.

I'm going to go ahead and say it: I like Excalibur. It's quick, intense, and rough - all the things a unique coaster should be. I will be sad if it is removed for something else, though I think Excalibur is staying put for a while. If VF gets a new marquee attraction in 2016/17, my guess is that it will be placed near the front of the park.

I'm going to go ahead and say it: I like Excalibur. It's quick, intense, and rough - all the things a unique coaster should be. I will be sad if it is removed for something else, though I think Excalibur is staying put for a while. If VF gets a new marquee attraction in 2016/17, my guess is that it will be placed near the front of the park.

Yes, Excalibur is a unique coaster, and it has good intensity, but it has become painfully rough. It isn't a "death-machine", but I always have a headache for a few minutes after I get off. At the top of the first turnaround, I always get a good smack to the left side of my body. Even though it doesn't have OTSR's, it still feels like it at times .

Although, I am with you on that the next coaster should be near the front of the park so that it has good curb appeal.

I would absolutely love to see a new front entrance to the park with a new coaster incorporated into it. Just like Carowinds is getting in 2015.

I agree. A new entrance and coaster combo would be amazing.

I never thought CF would build something outside of CP that would surpass millennium force, and with fury325 doing that, I think the possibilities of VF getting something record setting in 2016 is a definite possibility.

Sorry to put a damper on the excitement, but Excalibur is not going anywhere. Excalibur always closes during Halloween Haunt each year. September 14th is just the last normal day before the park completely converts to Valleyscare. I think they close Excalibur because it is a low traffic ride, and the park probably doesn't think the operating costs are worth it. If Excalibur was closing for good, we would have seen a FB or Twitter post along the lines of "Come get your final ride on Excalibur before it's history!" Besides, garyman6 found out in his conversation with GM Dave Frazier that Mr. Frazier doesn't want VF to lose any coasters right now. I'm a "quality-over-quantity" type of person, but I agree with that decision because I'd hate to see that plot of land sit empty for a while. I really do wish that Excalibur was leaving, but it simply isn't happening. Sorry.

Like we got posts to take a final ride on HydroBlaster or final show at Imax?

As a side note while we're talking about the area, I wish they'd fix or turn on the half of the waterfalls that they've shut down on Thunder Canyon. Not sure if they're being cheap, the pumps are broken, or someone complained about getting wet on a water ride.

CaroWinds: buried in the announcement is an emphasis on local cuisine. Which should be good because it's one of my favorite parts of the Carolinas. My last time at Carowinds I didn't notice the offerings there being substantially different from any other amusement park anywhere in the country. If the new coaster is anything like Intimidator 305 (easily within my top 10 rides) it should be a winner.

I would absolutely love to see a new front entrance to the park with a new coaster incorporated into it. Just like Carowinds is getting in 2015.

I agree. A new entrance and coaster combo would be amazing.

I never thought CF would build something outside of CP that would surpass millennium force, and with fury325 doing that, I think the possibilities of VF getting something record setting in 2016 is a definite possibility.

Ive heard from many admissions associates there will be a supposed new entrance next year, not sure how reliable they are. But if any department were to know about it, it would be admissions. Hopefully wild thing will get b&m trains similar to what steel dragon 2000 got. Ive also heard some chatter of them moving the parking lot and putting something in there. My supervisor was speculating about the field near the valleyfair dorms, since they own them, they could put what ever they want there

^ That is very interesting, thanks for sharing. If you move the entrance you create all kinds of possibilities. CF has incorporated new coasters at CP and now Carowinds with new park entrances. Maybe VF will move the entrance next year and add a coaster to interact with it the following year. We can only hope. Below is a picture of the land they own and also the link directly to the source if you want to check it out. Just scroll to the bottom of linked page to see the map. Time to speculate.

http://agenda.shakopeemn.gov/docs/2013/BOAA/20131205_137/814%5F13%2D048%20Valleyfair%20%2D%20site%20plans%2Epdf

image.thumb.jpg.15b6aded0a255148241b57437461665f.jpg

Let's think about the entrance plaza for a minute here:

Cedar Point upgraded their entrance plaza in 2013 with the addition of GateKeeper and how it's going through the keyholes over the entrance.

Carowinds is adding Fury 325 next year with part of the track going under the entrance walkway as part of an entrance upgrade.

Valleyfair is looking at updating their entrance plaza and extending/moving the parking lot. Many rumors include a new coaster going near the entrance in 2016/17.

Could this be a coincidence? Or a sign of thrills to come?

The thing with Valleyfair is that Wild Thing's turn is already right there by the park entrance. That said, it would still be cool to see a big coaster on either side of the gate.

I've never been to Valleyfair, but I do think the path to Route 76 could use something to hide the fact that it's right up against the parking lot. Maybe a small games building or something for that small section between said Wild Thing turn and the front spike of Steel Venom. When I went to Dorney Park last summer, I did not particularly like the exit area of Steel Force precisely for this reason.

While I don't know much about Valleyfair as I have yet to visit the park but looking at the map it seems CF has quite a bit of room to expand on however would CF be willing to risk building in areas prone to flooding especially after what had happened at the park this year? Is this the reason Valleyfair hasn't grown beyond its current boundaries over the years?

^

Well, I'd heard that the name Centurion was rejected from Carowinds for some reason, so it probably wouldn't work at VF either. However, if they are somehow able to get permission to use that name, I guess Centurion could be a valid possibility for a new coaster name.

Edited by VF15

I could definitely see Centurion being a proposed name for what became Fury325 as its very similar to a certain wing coaster in Sandusky. Maybe if there is a redo to the Valleyfair entrance with a new coaster, the park could pick it up like how Kings Island got Banshee from the Cedar Fair name vault.

So, Garyman, when are you able to finally spill the beans on the exciting 2016 rumor that you've been sitting on?

Yes, Is there a time frame you can tell us or at least hint about it? The suspense is killing me!

A while back, garyman6 did hint at the secret a little bit: I remember one user was saying that he desperately wants VF's 2016 addition to be a roller coaster, and garyman6 said that the rumor he knows about should make him happy, so this leads me to believe that it is a coaster rumor, although I could be wrong.