TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Just some more pictures from the local CBS station channel 4. Since they are aerial shots they really show the perspective of how much flooding there is and how much the Minnesota River is overflowing. The river is supposed to crest today in that area so hopefully it start to subside. Going to be tough to get those rides and parking lot open before the 4th next week, if they even can.

valleyfair-flooding-1.jpg.3a6dbfeeb0c5757a6d2ea506b83fb309.jpg

River in the back ground and how it has flowed into the parking lot.

valleyfair-flooding-2.jpg.1a1cde574d34ec63ad0c0f69d83a7357.jpg

How close it is the front gate.

valleyfair-flooding-3.jpg.93877f9d36f45c1a7886ffdafc789ee1.jpg

Getting close to High Roller too.

valleyfair-flooding-4.jpg.5087c4b9fbbd7b093d7438e0d7e73776.jpg

Poor Renegade.

valleyfair-flooding-5.jpg.0951f129f7f4e4070f8889918caf4b0b.jpg

Another shot of Renegade.

valleyfair-flooding-6.jpg.68054f415ab00cb19d53ad972d2b24eb.jpg

Excalibur. Might actually make the ride better. :)

valleyfair-flooding-7.jpg.6ca1ccf65adaa25847d6cbd175fd7df4.jpg

Excalibur again. Wonder if they have a log car from the old Flume ride laying around that they could use?

valleyfair-flooding-8.jpg.66330ea4603fef614a4186203a2f9f15.jpg

Get well soon Renegade! Hopefully this does not damage any of the off season re-tracking that made you ride so nice this year.

I was planning on going Friday night, would it be safe to assume crowds will be down due to the flooding and inability to really do everything? I think most people would see the flooding on the news and steer clear until everything is operational again. The forecast is also pretty discouraging but I'm up for a night at the park good or bad weather. A light turn out would only sweeten the deal.

Sent from my C6916 using Forum Fiend v1.2.7.

^

Yeah, crowds will probably be light because of the flooding. Keep in mind that if you go when the forecast is bad, there is a chance that the park may close early if the weather becomes bad enough. It stinks that you won't be able to ride Renegade, but Steel Venom and Wild Thing are two really fun coasters, so try to have fun despite the less-than-ideal conditions.

I've been before when they shut down rides for 20minutes or so because of lightning, closing down the entire park early would be a bummer. This is my first year with season passes and it just keeps raining! Only been five times this year.

Sent from my C6916 using Forum Fiend v1.2.7.

Honestly I don't see the huge thrill in an invert, unless you are the front row to me the rest of the rows have very little too look at.

Give me something like Diamondback, that will please everyone. Sure it doesn't go upside down but certainly a very fun ride and very rerideable. For something that goes upside down I would gladly take a Maverick clone, but we all know that would never happen at VF.

Honestly I don't see the huge thrill in an invert, unless you are the front row to me the rest of the rows have very little too look at.

Give me something like Diamondback, that will please everyone. Sure it doesn't go upside down but certainly a very fun ride and very rerideable. For something that goes upside down I would gladly take a Maverick clone, but we all know that would never happen at VF.

Though I'm a person that really likes B&M inverts, I guess I can see why you'd say that. Yeah, there are better ride types out there, but I think that an invert would just be perfect for VF because it would give it a modern steel coaster with inversions, and an invert would definitely be a GP pleaser.

I like B&M hypers too, but since we already have a hypercoaster (Wild Thing), it's unfortunately not going to happen. A Maverick-type ride likely won't be VF's next coaster, but maybe it could happen later on down the line (maybe in 7-8 years or so), since VF is one of the three parks with significant growth potential.

Though I'm a person that really likes B&M inverts, I guess I can see why you'd say that. Yeah, there are better ride types out there, but I think that an invert would just be perfect for VF because it would give it a modern steel coaster with inversions, and an invert would definitely be a GP pleaser.

I like B&M hypers too, but since we already have a hypercoaster (Wild Thing), it's unfortunately not going to happen. A Maverick-type ride likely won't be VF's next coaster, but maybe it could happen later on down the line (maybe in 7-8 years or so), since VF is one of the three parks with significant growth potential.

Cedar Fair doesn't buy roller coasters from Intamin. They buy coasters from B&M.

^

Well, the past few years have been focused on B&M for Cedar Fair, but I wouldn't say that their relationship with Intamin is over just yet. Keep in mind that Intamin has made some of the chain's most famous coasters (MF, TTD, i305, etc.) I'm not saying that Cedar Fair is going to get "Intamin crazy" soon, but it still might be a little early to say that CF-Intamin is dead.

So I just read a rumor on Valleyfairzone's twitter account the President Obama is visiting the park today to see the flooding. I wonder, just maybe, that the President may put in a word to allow Valleyfair to expand their flood berm. That is such a touchy issues these days. Mr. Frazier told me that he wished the original owners would have just filled in the whole area when they bought the property. No special permission was needed. Now, it's like pulling teeth to get any kind of fill permit. We will see!

Cedar Fair doesn't buy roller coasters from Intamin. They buy coasters from B&M.

So, just because they haven't bought an Intamin coaster in the last few years, they will never buy a coaster from Intamin again?

So, just because they haven't bought an Intamin coaster in the last few years, they will never buy a coaster from Intamin again?

Obviously

Cedar Fair will go with Intamin if they have a ride that Cedar Fair wants. Look at Six Flags with Premier Rides. Nothing after Poltergeist/Jokers Jinx and then Superman and Throttle de Full

^

I always thought that a Windseeker might be able to fit there, but until those become more reliable, I don't see CF purchasing another one. If there is something going there, it probably won't happen next year because the waterpark expansion seems inevitable at this point.

Also, does anyone know if the flooding situation at the park has improved?

I'm pretty sure the rides are still closed, I can't really say if they've been receding its kinda hard to get a good view of the flooding from power tower (granted you get on the right side to see it) The flood waters should be starting to go down, I know renegade and excalibur will have to start testing again, and thunder canyon might be refilled

Nope... But there have been rumors that the Intaride rep and Cedar Fair management aren't on the best of terms, and haven't been for quite some time. Hopefully this isn't true, as Intamin has and will continue to make some of the greatest coasters out there. Cedar Point, especially, could use a beastly new Intamin beauty to seperate them from the Magic Mountain and Great Adventures of the world.

^

I always thought that a Windseeker might be able to fit there, but until those become more reliable, I don't see CF purchasing another one. If there is something going there, it probably won't happen next year because the waterpark expansion seems inevitable at this point.

I'd Personally like to see a Huss Sledgehammer ride there or maybe where "Wheel of Fortune" is located.

Is this my Golden Post? #47, 47 years old! HaHa