TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I do have confirmation from Mr. Frazier that we won't be getting a banshee sized invert ( I know we kinda already know that). He did talk to me about moving the buildings by renegade back a little. Expanding for a new coaster possibly?

I'm okay with not getting a Banshee-sized invert, because it doesn't have to be tall to be fun (look at the Batman: The Ride clones). If they do want to move the maintenance building back, then that opens up a lot of space that could be used for a new coaster, as shown in the picture below. Of course it's only speculation, but I could see it happening. I guess you could fit in a B&M invert in the yellow area in RCjunkie's photo, but it seems that it would be tough to squeeze a walkway inbetween Thunder Canyon and Excalibur (assuming it isn't removed), but if Excalibur is removed, then I'd find that land more likely to be used.

image.jpg.1d8e71306c05633621a6aa895c0f2504.jpg

I do have confirmation from Mr. Frazier that we won't be getting a banshee sized invert ( I know we kinda already know that). He did talk to me about moving the buildings by renegade back a little. Expanding for a new coaster possibly?

I'm okay with not getting a Banshee-sized invert, because it doesn't have to be tall to be fun (look at the Batman: The Ride clones). If they do want to move the maintenance building back, then that opens up a lot of space that could be used for a new coaster, as shown in the picture below. Of course it's only speculation, but I could see it happening. I guess you could fit in a B&M invert in the yellow area in RCjunkie's photo, but it seems that it would be tough to squeeze a walkway inbetween Thunder Canyon and Excalibur (assuming it isn't removed), but if Excalibur is removed, then I'd find that land more likely to be used.

Im pretty sure he wasn't thinking of moving it that far

^

Yeah, it probably won't move as far back as I illustrated, but if they are indeed planning on putting a new coaster in that area, they definitely have to move the maintenance building somehow, or else I can't see how a coaster would fit there.

I'm sure that Valleyfair can squeeze a coaster in the park that does not require moving the entire maintenance building. Plus, a B&M invert in Valleyfair isn't a matter of "where", it's more of a matter of "is it going to happen".

^

I think most of us think that a B&M invert will be the next coaster because it seems like the most logical option, all things considered. I thought of some other options for a new coaster, and they just don't seem like they would work.

-B&M floorless: CF only has one, and it was built 9 years ago.

-B&M wing rider: Too expensive.

-Anything from Intamin: There hasn't been much CF-Intamin action lately.

-Anything from Vekoma: Aside from WOF's Boomerang, all CF Vekomas were acquired in park buyouts.

-Anything from RMC: CF's first RMC will probably be built at a larger park in my opinion.

-Eurofighter: We have one 25 minutes away at Nick Universe.

-Family coaster: Even though Northern Lights isn't technically a coaster, I guess you could say it has satisfied VF's need for a family coaster.

Of course, we could be surprised, since anything is possible in this industry, but the current state of things leads me to think that a B&M invert is the best option. A year ago, I probably would have put an invert on the "probably not going to happen" list, but now that KI has Banshee, that has changed.

Since Cedar Fair seems to like B&M, I think it would be safe to guess that a Floorless coaster is a possibility. Before Banshee, it was 8 years since CF built an Invert, but sure enough, they built one in 2014. I don't see any reason why they can't build a Floorless coaster after 10 years (I say 10 because VF most-likely won't get their new coaster until 2015 or 2016). Valleyfair could really use a decent looping steel coaster. As for where it goes, I would say Excalibur's spot. I could see CF removing that ride in the near future.

Edit--My 500th post!

^

I think most of us think that a B&M invert will be the next coaster because it seems like the most logical option, all things considered. I thought of some other options for a new coaster, and they just don't seem like they would work.

-B&M floorless: CF only has one, and it was built 9 years ago.

-B&M wing rider: Too expensive.

-Anything from Intamin: There hasn't been much CF-Intamin action lately.

-Anything from Vekoma: Aside from WOF's Boomerang, all CF Vekomas were acquired in park buyouts.

-Anything from RMC: CF's first RMC will probably be built at a larger park in my opinion.

-Eurofighter: We have one 25 minutes away at Nick Universe.

-Family coaster: Even though Northern Lights isn't technically a coaster, I guess you could say it has satisfied VF's need for a family coaster.

Of course, we could be surprised, since anything is possible in this industry, but the current state of things leads me to think that a B&M invert is the best option. A year ago, I probably would have put an invert on the "probably not going to happen" list, but now that KI has Banshee, that has changed.

Well, you can't assume this much predictability.

Since Cedar Fair seems to like B&M, I think it would be safe to guess that a Floorless coaster is a possibility. Before Banshee, it was 8 years since CF built an Invert, but sure enough, they built one in 2014. I don't see any reason why they can't build a Floorless coaster after 10 years (I say 10 because VF most-likely won't get their new coaster until 2015 or 2016). Valleyfair could really use a decent looping steel coaster. As for where it goes, I would say Excalibur's spot. I could see CF removing that ride in the near future.

Edit--My 500th post!

Okay, maybe a floorless coaster isn't that unlikely. I think I'm just tempted to not want one because I always hear how Hydra (CF's only floorless coaster) is forceless and boring, and if VF was to get a floorless coaster, it would probably be similar to Hydra because a large floorless coaster (something like Kraken or Bizzaro) is probably too expensive for Valleyfair. Still, I'd much rather have a floorless over lots of other types of coasters.

Edited by VF15

I visited the park yesterday on a coaster road trip. It was my first visit. While the recent infrastructure investments are obvious, so is this: the park desperately needs a quality modern steel full circuit coaster. There was nothing that would ever get me back. Nickelodeon Universe was the more appealing park. At least it has unique / hard to find flats. Valleyfair is generic.

Good thing I didn't plan on visiting VF today.

image.jpg.9f711391e6693358e936178fa4bcd35d.jpg

I could live with Excalibur and Thunder Canyon being closed, but Renegade, yeah...no. I know it's just one FB post, but I'm not as sure as before that Valleyfair would choose to put a new coaster in the flood plain.

Good thing I didn't plan on visiting VF today.

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

I could live with Excalibur and Thunder Canyon being closed, but Renegade, yeah...no. I know it's just one FB post, but I'm not as sure as before that Valleyfair would choose to put a new coaster in the flood plain.

One thing to remember, especially with a steel coaster. If they keep the tracks above the known flood water levels there should be no reason why they could not operate it during flooding periods. When Mr. Frazier told me about the open field just north of the parking lot, where they could locate coaster footings there but not a station, that makes me believe that they could still run the trains with flooded conditions. Besides, how cools would it be to have almost an entire coaster over water as would be the case in a flood. Excalibur tracks are submerged in a flood. I'm not sure why they didn't make sure Renegade tracks would not be flooded but they should have.

I visited the park yesterday on a coaster road trip. It was my first visit. While the recent infrastructure investments are obvious, so is this: the park desperately needs a quality modern steel full circuit coaster. There was nothing that would ever get me back. Nickelodeon Universe was the more appealing park. At least it has unique / hard to find flats. Valleyfair is generic.

Believe me when I say that we who call Valleyfair our home park, are painfully aware of what is needed. I know what you mean about Nick U. It really is a unique park. Something that you may not know. Dave Frazier, Valleyfairs GM, was the GM of Nick U before coming to VF. He was in charge of all the changes that took place when Nick U. assumed the lease on the park. Many of the rides and attractions were his doing! Cedar Fair asked him to take over at Valleyfair. This is his third operating season and in the few years that he has been at VF there have been some major improvements. Most of the improvements were to prepare for larger more diverse crowds. For example, picnic point now has the ability to seat thousands and produce 3000 meals per hour. Planet Snoopy, Dino's alive and Route 76 make VF the place to go for families. Next year's addition is looking more and more like a massive remaking and expansion of Soak City. I've also heard some pretty compelling rumors of a new major steel coaster in 2016. One last thing, Cedar Fair has listed Valleyfair as one of three parks in the chain that they have marked for significant growth. While I'm sorry that you were disappointed by your visit, don't give up on Valleyfair just yet. Make plans to return in 2 to 3 years and I believe your going to be pleasantly surprised.

^I'm glad to hear it. I hope you're right. Again, the park was pleasant, and the refreshments to the kids' area and Route 76 were obvious. Hopefully a quality coaster is in your near future.

Sorry to hear that VF disappointed you, but I think I can see why it did. Valleyfair is a fun park, but probably not worth coming to if you live more than 3 or 4 hours away. We're all aware that we need a new steel looper, and I'm not trying to sound fanboyish when I say it, we desperately need it. In fact, I think the GP is also getting annoyed that VF hasn't added a new coaster because last offseason, on their FB page, whenever they would post a picture of Route 76 stuff, or something like "Only x days/weeks until Valleyfair opens!", there were always a decent number of comments along the lines of "Why aren't you guys building thrilling rides?", or "Valleyfair needs a ride for the big kids.", or "Not coming back until you build a B&M". So yeah, it is pretty average for a CF park, but as garyman6 said, the next few years look bright.

One last thing, Cedar Fair has listed Valleyfair as one of three parks in the chain that they have marked for significant growth. While I'm sorry that you were disappointed by your visit, don't give up on Valleyfair just yet. Make plans to return in 2 to 3 years and I believe your going to be pleasantly surprised.

Just out of curiosity, I've heard about Carowinds and VF; what's #3?

One last thing, Cedar Fair has listed Valleyfair as one of three parks in the chain that they have marked for significant growth. While I'm sorry that you were disappointed by your visit, don't give up on Valleyfair just yet. Make plans to return in 2 to 3 years and I believe your going to be pleasantly surprised.

Just out of curiosity, I've heard about Carowinds and VF; what's #3?

I believe that #3 is Canada's Wonderland. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just saw the footage of the flooding at Valleyfair on KSTP. The north end of the parking lot is flooded, as is the back of the park (Renegade, Excalibur, and Thunder Canyon). Anyone have any idea of when those rides will reopen? I was planning on paying a visit soon, but if Renegade is going to be closed, then I'll probably have to postpone.

^ The Minnesota River is supposed to crest at 33 feet sometime on Wednesday this week, after that it should start receding. Who knows how long that will take or how long it will take to get those three rides back up and running. Hopefully there is not much damage. I am with you, if Renegade is not running I will not be going either. That is why I did not go Sunday as planned. If anyone sees or hears anymore news about the flooding and rides please post and let us know.

Here's the river gauge at Jordan, about 20 river miles upstream from Valleyfair. I don't know what river level the flooding begins at, but there was a post here about it on Sunday morning, which would suggest maybe about 30-31 feet. Based on the forecast, the water might not get low enough to re-open that part of the park until very late in the week or even the weekend.