TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

^

It's on the west side of the park. It goes over the tunnel that guests use to access the Excalibur/Thunder Canyon area, and under a part of Renegade.

Correct. When you go up Renegade's lift hill you look to the right beyond the maintenance building and that is where the employee parking lot is. Last weekend I saw two big construction grater trucks plowing fresh roads towards the parking lot and also pushing dirt around it. I wondered what all that work was about and now we might know. Next time you go and ride Renegade look right on the lift hill and check it all out. Too bad we cannot pull out a camera and take a picture though.

If you look at the actual plans submitted to the city it should be noted that the employee road won't be completely rerouted, just slightly after Renegade toward the Employee parking lot. Theoretically I suppose this would free up room for more parking for the Physical Plant and I suppose it would be possible to repurpose the area behind Chickie & Pete's from parking to park proper.

^

Yeah, those posts were from the Twitter page.

This is what it said on VF's Screamscape: In a similar fashion to how Cedar Fair has selected Carowinds as a park property in which they want to focus their efforts on to promote signifigant growth, I’m hearing rumors that the company may also be generating future growth plans and options for Valleyfair as well. The future could be bright… we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

^

Yeah, those posts were from the Twitter page.

This is what it said on VF's Screamscape: In a similar fashion to how Cedar Fair has selected Carowinds as a park property in which they want to focus their efforts on to promote signifigant growth, I’m hearing rumors that the company may also be generating future growth plans and options for Valleyfair as well. The future could be bright… we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

Odd considering how Valleyfair doesn't have alot of land to expand on, Chunks of the park floods, and their location makes Summer operations really short.

^

Actually, Valleyfair has lots of land to expand upon. According to garyman6, they own much more room then it looks like they do. Why they haven't been utilizing it in the past few years, I don't know, but it sounds like they will in the next few years. Even though VF is prone to spring flooding, it seems to always dry up before park opening. Yeah, Valleyfair's operating season is relatively short compared to most, but when you think about it, so is Cedar Point's, and look how successful that park is. I too am surprised that the park is being listed as one that CF wants to invest more in, but I as well as other Valleyfair-goers are pretty happy about it.

I was there today and I was scoping out some places a coaster could go, I noticed on the edge of thunder canyon there is a strip of land that is cleared and is big enough to hold a decent sized invert, If you ever get the chance to look, its behind thunder canyon, and when I went on renegade I think I saw a fellow TPR member

^ And if you remove Excalibur which is connected to that piece of land you get even more room. Then you also have a walking path in place to a new loading station and could still use some or all of that strip of land your talking about.

^ I think it might be a while until valleyfair demolishes Excalibur, the destruction of the themed drink stand is definitely ominous but not hard evidence that they will tear down excalibur. Excalibur still gets decent ridership but not as much as other coasters in the park. However I do think Excalibur is the next ride on the chopping block, they might tear it down to build a new coaster, they might not, only time will tell!

I heard that Excalibur's rough and that if you're lucky, you can get off Excalibur then go back on without having to wait. You can do this because of it's location in the back and it's generally outclassed by never coasters like Wild Thing, Renegade, and Steel Venom.Gemini and Excalibur both have steel track with wood supports, but Gemini cost only $400,000 more than Excalibur, and each side is about 1,280 feet longer than Excalibur, so Valleyfair could've had a dueling coaster with each side being 3,690 feet long for just $400,000 more, although I'm not sure if the land Excalibur's on is hilly or not, so that could've raised Excalibur's price alot. Excalibur just seems like a bunch of lost potential to me.

EDIT: I forgot that things get more and more expensive as more and more time passes. If Excalibur was a clone of Gemini, it would've cost alot more than the original Gemini.

Edited by ΩRubyΑSapphire

I heard that Excalibur's rough and that if you're lucky, you can get off Excalibur then go back on without having to wait. You can do this because of it's location in the back and it's generally outclassed by never coasters like Wild Thing, Renegade, and Steel Venom.Gemini and Excalibur both have steel track with wood supports, but Gemini cost only $400 more than Excalibur, and each side is about 1,280 feet longer than Excalibur, so Valleyfair could've had a dueling coaster with each side being 3,690 feet long for just $400 more, although I'm not sure if the land Excalibur's on is hilly or not, so that could've raised Excalibur's price alot. Excalibur just seems like a bunch of lost potential to me.

I don't think Excalibur is truly rough, it's just bumpy in spots. You're right about it's lack of popularity, and it's because it is the farthest thing from the park entrance, and the GP knows that Renegade, Steel Venom, and Wild Thing are much superior rides. Even though Gemini cost only $400,000 more, when adjusted for inflation, Gemini is worth a lot more than Excalibur. The land Excalibur sits on isn't hilly. It's just plain flat, as is a lot of the rest of the park. Excalibur really could have been a lot more, but it only has a drop, a figure-eight, and then it's over. If only Valleyfair/Cedar Fair had invested a little more money into it...

As for expansion in that area, I agree that Excalibur's land plus the land valleyfairfanatic was talking about could provide a good amount of room for a new coaster (hopefully a B&M invert). Some people have said that they should also remove Thunder Canyon to make more room for expansion, but I think it's here to stay for a while, considering that the GP seems to like it, it can get a decent line sometimes (unlike it's next-door neighbor), and it is one of the rides on the Fast Lane pass. Who knows, maybe it could be removed in the near future, but that's just my opinion.

I heard that Excalibur's rough and that if you're lucky, you can get off Excalibur then go back on without having to wait. You can do this because of it's location in the back and it's generally outclassed by never coasters like Wild Thing, Renegade, and Steel Venom.Gemini and Excalibur both have steel track with wood supports, but Gemini cost only $400 more than Excalibur, and each side is about 1,280 feet longer than Excalibur, so Valleyfair could've had a dueling coaster with each side being 3,690 feet long for just $400 more, although I'm not sure if the land Excalibur's on is hilly or not, so that could've raised Excalibur's price alot. Excalibur just seems like a bunch of lost potential to me.

I don't think Excalibur is truly rough, it's just bumpy in spots. You're right about it's lack of popularity, and it's because it is the farthest thing from the park entrance, and the GP knows that Renegade, Steel Venom, and Wild Thing are much superior rides. Even though Gemini cost only $400,000 more, when adjusted for inflation, Gemini is worth a lot more than Excalibur. The land Excalibur sits on isn't hilly. It's just plain flat, as is a lot of the rest of the park. Excalibur really could have been a lot more, but it only has a drop, a figure-eight, and then it's over. If only Valleyfair/Cedar Fair had invested a little more money into it...

As for expansion in that area, I agree that Excalibur's land plus the land valleyfairfanatic was talking about could provide a good amount of room for a new coaster (hopefully a B&M invert). Some people have said that they should also remove Thunder Canyon to make more room for expansion, but I think it's here to stay for a while, considering that the GP seems to like it, it can get a decent line sometimes (unlike it's next-door neighbor), and it is one of the rides on the Fast Lane pass. Who knows, maybe it could be removed in the near future, but that's just my opinion.

There's one big problem with the removal of Excalibur to make room for a new coaster. The strip of land that was mentioned by valleyfairfanatic and RCjunkie cannot be used of a loading station cause it's located in a flood plain. Only supports could be located there. Excalibur's loading station is located on top of the flood berm. I don't see Excalibur being removed for a long time. Mr. Frazier does not want to loose a roller coaster no matter which one. Also, rather than removing Thunder Canyon, why not incorporate a roller coaster around it?

^

If Mr. Frazier really wants to keep Excalibur for a long time, then all of the speculation of that area on this thread just got thrown in the trash can. After thinking about it, I now feel that if the park is willing to remove or relocated a few of these buildings located between High Roller and Renegade in the picture below, it might not be a bad spot to put a new coaster in. I don't know if they're willing to take down a few of these buildings for expansion, but if they did, I think that it would make more sense to put a coaster there because putting a coaster in Excalibur's spot would make it the farthest thing from the entrance, which doesn't really make sense for a brand-new coaster.

image.jpg.2692dd86a4e791bfc9c54b4b866f8b44.jpg

^

If Mr. Frazier really wants to keep Excalibur for a long time, then all of the speculation of that area on this thread just got thrown in the trash can. After thinking about it, I now feel that if the park is willing to remove or relocated a few of these buildings located between High Roller and Renegade in the picture below, it might not be a bad spot to put a new coaster in. I don't know if they're willing to take down a few of these buildings for expansion, but if they did, I think that it would make more sense to put a coaster there because putting a coaster in Excalibur's spot would make it the farthest thing from the entrance, which doesn't really make sense for a brand-new coaster.

The large building you see on the left is the maintenance building. The larger building on the right is the administration building. That building is not going anywhere soon. Mr. Frazier took me through it twice and they have been completely remodeling the interior as it had not been upgraded since it was built. The maintenance building however could be moved. As VF grows they really do need a larger building somewhere else on the property. I was not taken through that building. I'm guessing it may hold some information as to what is coming down the pike. With that being said, I think a new coaster could be located in the back of the park. Like Route 76 which has brought the front of the park back to life, think what a new coaster would do to the ridership of Thunder Canyon and Excalibur! If they do reroute the employee access road that divides the areas it would leave plenty of room for a loading station. Or, if they move the maintenance building and some of the other smaller buildings behind Chickie and Petes that would leave a lot of room for expansion including a loading station. Like I said earlier only coaster supports would be allowed to the east of the flood berm on which Excalibur's loading station is built upon. You could have an awesome new coaster that would wrap around parts of Excalibur, Thunder Canyon and Renegade.

Why would you want to keep a 20 year old "Water" Ride that doesn't get you all that wet? Very Few Parks still have White Water Water Coasters and did Cyprus Gardens ever manage to sell theirs?

I should have made myself more clear. I'm much more excited about the possibility of a new waterslide package than the possibility of Hydroblaster's resurrection. Like valleyfairfanatic said, I'm pretty much indifferent to what happens to Hydroblaster. The waterslide package would be a great addition to the park because...

1) This kind of expansion is exactly what Valleyfair needs. The last time new waterslides were added to Soak City was sometime in the 90s. They did get a wave pool in 2009, but that doesn't really count.

2) If it's supposed to be like what's at DP and WOF, then it looks like a lot of fun. The slides look thrilling, and it would make me want to visit Soak City more often.

image.jpg.ceba952eb8fbda5149dd40cd08547126.jpg

If VF got something like this, that would be awesome.

Why would you want to keep a 20 year old "Water" Ride that doesn't get you all that wet? Very Few Parks still have White Water Water Coasters and did Cyprus Gardens ever manage to sell theirs?

I should have made myself more clear. I'm much more excited about the possibility of a new waterslide package than the possibility of Hydroblaster's resurrection. Like valleyfairfanatic said, I'm pretty much indifferent to what happens to Hydroblaster. The waterslide package would be a great addition to the park because...

1) This kind of expansion is exactly what Valleyfair needs. The last time new waterslides were added to Soak City was sometime in the 90s. They did get a wave pool in 2009, but that doesn't really count.

2) If it's supposed to be like what's at DP and WOF, then it looks like a lot of fun. The slides look thrilling, and it would make me want to visit Soak City more often.

Well, I'm gonna just come out and say this. I don't know how accurate this is so don't take this rumor as gospel. But I did hear recently that the water park expansion is going to be much bigger than anyone is thinking. I don't have details as to what exactly but the best way I can describe it is like this. If you have seen the show "Extreme Home Makeover" than use your imagination and apply that concept to Soak City! I can't tell you where I heard this from but this person also said themselves that they don't know how accurate this rumor is. But let's look at some of the things we know as facts! IMAX gone!, Hydroblaster gone! Mr. Frazier told me that the old corporate dining deck which is part of the Subway shop is not being used anymore except if someone just wants to eat there. The only thing left there than is the Subway shop which could easily be moved elsewhere. Mr. Frazier also said that "anything's possible" when I asked if Looping Starship is going to be relocated. Also, take into account that the current slide's on the hill are over 20 years old. One last bit of information that I will continue to remind you of; Valleyfair has been slated by Cedar Fair corporate as one of three parks it has marked for significant growth! The next two years of Valleyfair's history will be epic! I'm just sayin!

Since the removal of IMAX and Hydro Blaster this year along with the old corporate dining patio not being used anymore there has been a rumor that VF will receive a water park expansion sometime in the future, probably next year or the one after that. Since all of these things are adjacent to the water park this makes logical sense that it could happen.

It has been a while since VF has received a big addition so let's have some fun and speculate what could happen. To help us out I took an ariel Google shot of the existing water park and its surroundings. I outlined the structures to give us a better idea of how it all fits together.

KEY:

Blue Outline - This is the border of the exisiting water park.

Red Outline - These are structures that have already been removed.

---Red Outline area in the middle is where the IMAX was.

---Red Outline area on the right is where Hydro Blaster used to be.

Yellow Outline - Structures that exist now but could be relocated or demolished.

---Yellow Outline area in the middle is where Looping Starship is located now.

---Yellow Outline area to the right is the existing corporate patio that is no longer being used.

Green Outline area is the mini games sections next to the water park. Do you think this could even be removed or relocated up by the other midway games if they wanted that room? I just noticed this when looking at this ariel view.

When you look at all the red and yellow area's they add up to about another half of the existing waterpark that could potentially be used. And since MiA has a better water park than VF and VF genereates more revenue than MiA I hope they do use this space.

So what do you think VF fans? What do you think could or will happen? What would you like to see happen? Please share your thoughts and opinions.

960846189_VFWaterpark.thumb.jpg.0cd90f36302f39fee2461cdd8329ac9d.jpg

Water Park Ariel view.