TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. The area outlined in Red is what I am referring to. In my grand design this would be the new parking lot, the current parking lot would be developed and the new entrance would be near SV's eastern spike. This is a just a thought I had after a few beers one night. No, it will never happen.

vf_lot.thumb.jpg.28c195272d8afdbb5ee9152443e37868.jpg

OK, this is just an idea since everyone is talking about removing Excalibur. If they remove it and as expected next year is a water park expansion, make it a large enough expansion to justify making it separate admission. Use Excalibur's and maybe Thunder Canyon's area for parking and a gate. I've been going to the park for over 20 years and probably have been in the water park twice, it doesn't interest me. However, I know people that would love to just go to the water park and skip the ride side. Since they don't have that option, they will skip the whole place.

I've heard different stories about the land between the parking lot and the dorms. Does anyone know who owns that, can it be developed or turned into parking lot if they were to expand the park by moving the gate to the east? Probably have to build/extend the flood barrier. In an ideal situation, that is where the water park should have been built.

OK, this is just an idea since everyone is talking about removing Excalibur. If they remove it and as expected next year is a water park expansion, make it a large enough expansion to justify making it separate admission. Use Excalibur's and maybe Thunder Canyon's area for parking and a gate. I've been going to the park for over 20 years and probably have been in the water park twice, it doesn't interest me. However, I know people that would love to just go to the water park and skip the ride side. Since they don't have that option, they will skip the whole place.

I've heard different stories about the land between the parking lot and the dorms. Does anyone know who owns that, can it be developed or turned into parking lot if they were to expand the park by moving the gate to the east? Probably have to build/extend the flood barrier. In an ideal situation, that is where the water park should have been built.

I would rather have Excalibur stay for a while than have it be replaced by a parking lot because replacing a roller coaster with a parking lot is not a smart move in my opinion. Besides, if Soak City became a separate admission attraction, I'm sure there would be a lot of complaining. Even though I rarely visit Soak City, I wouldn't be happy about a fee to get in there because even if the waterpark expansion ends up being something really awesome, it would still be far from being one of the chain's best waterparks. I don't know who owns the land behind those park offices, but even if VF does own it, I don't think that they would choose to place a coaster there because I think it would probably be hard for them to get a walkway built to get over there. Speaking of walkways, if Valleyfair's next roller coaster ends up in Excalibur's spot, they'd probably need to find another way to get people over there because currently, the only way to get to the Excalibur/Thunder Canyon area is through a very small tunnel, and since a new coaster would mean higher visitor traffic back there, that little tunnel would make getting in and out of that area pretty hectic. Just my thoughts.

It would not be possible for VF to remove Excalibur to put a parking lot. The Excalibur station sits on top of the flood berm. The ride is in a flood plain. While they are able to place coaster supports in an area like that they would not be allowed to build a parking lot. If a new coaster did replace Excalibur they could always put in a new much larger tunnel. I believe that some thought has been put into moving the maintenance and office buildings to make room for expansion in that area. Plus, I have been told that the grassy area just north of the current parking lot right next to the river is another area that could have coaster supports but not buildings for parking because it is in a flood plain. With that in mind, another expansion option would be the old picnic area! The station for a coaster could be built there with the coaster supports over the flood plain. It would actually be pretty cool when there was flooding cause the entire ride would be over water! Of course then you have to figure out how to get people over there. One option would be to move Monster and use that area to build a path under High Roller to access the area.

VF just posted via its Twitter account the new colors on the Scrambler. One arm has yellow cars, one has orange cars and the third either has a blend of yellow and orange for a lighter orange color or two of the arms have orange cars. Hard for me to tell from this picture but the cars on the left look a little lighter in color than the orange ones on the right. Either way it looks good restored and looking forward to seeing the LED lights on the ride at night.

169515722_ScramblerColors.jpg.66909d59a3a9eeeaae4cf66a2bf09268.jpg

New Scrambler colors.

Edited by RCjunkie

This color scheme seems to be a "thing" for cedar fair these days. Monster has the same yellow, yellow orange, orange cars. Interesting... I swear I saw it somewhere else recently too..

They're the first things that came to my mind, at least.

I've never really understood why orange and yellow is such a popular color combination at Cedar Fair parks. I think it's a bit strange that Valleyfair's Corkscrew and Mad Mouse have such similar color schemes.

image.jpg.6568a0809b4432f3f46456a86e556cab.jpg

image.jpg.83d0fc0740c011519a6eb997ec6926b3.jpg

Let us not forget.............

Intimadator 305, KD

Talon, Dorney Park

Boomerang, Worlds of Fun

Thunderhawk, Michigan's Adventure

Iron Dragon, CP

TTD, CP

Behemoth, CW (close enough)

Silver Bullet, Knott's (also close enough)

God knows how many flat rides (I'm too lazy to look them up )

This is a bit random, but for those of you that have been to Valleyfair, how would you rank the roller coasters here from favorite to least favorite? I have seen lots of lists like this for many parks out there, but never one for my home park, and I'd like an idea of how everyone else thinks.

My List

1) Renegade

2) Steel Venom

3) Wild Thing

4) Excalibur

5) Corkscrew

6) High Roller

7) Mad Mouse

8) Cosmic Coaster (I've never actually been on this one, but since it's a kiddie coaster, I'd say it's fair to put it last.)

This is a bit random, but for those of you that have been to Valleyfair, how would you rank the roller coasters here from favorite to least favorite? I have seen lots of lists like this for many parks out there, but never one for my home park, and I'd like an idea of how everyone else thinks.

My List

1) Renegade

2) Steel Venom

3) Wild Thing

4) Excalibur

5) Corkscrew

6) High Roller

7) Mad Mouse

8) Cosmic Coaster (I've never actually been on this one, but since it's a kiddie coaster, I'd say it's fair to put it last.)

1. Renegade

2. Wild Thing

3. High Roller

4. Excalibur

5. Steel Venom

6. Mad Mouse

7. Corkscrew

8. Cosmic Coaster

None of them are bad, but 5-8 were all once-a-season rides.

Yeah, High Roller is a fun ride for what it is, but I'd say that the best experience is in the front (smoother, and decent airtime). I honestly don't consider any of the coasters at VF "bad" coasters. I just like some more than others.

I'm a bit surprised that you guys ranked High Roller relatively high, considering how trimmed up it is, but you are entitled to your own opinion.

Steel Venom is much more thrilling than High Roller but I just like the overall experience of High Roller better. I really like the Intamin goodness called Steel Venom and it's great that it is at the park so don't get me wrong, you asked for our favorites and not most thrilling. Personally I like the Xtreme Swing better than Mad Mouse, Excalibur and Corkscrew when it comes to an overall ride experience.

^ When I emailed VF last time the cam was down they responded and said it was because they did not have power in that area where the cam is due to construction. Before the cam went out I saw them installing the operating station for Scrambler so maybe it is off to get that wired but that was Tuesday.