TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I'm positive Cedar Fair had the name way before they even bought ValleyFair. (if it was part of the Paramount Purchase)

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure that's not where they got the name.

And just because of that, it doesn't make the park higher in rank. I mean it does deserve more attractions, but it doesn't make near as much money as the other parks.

Valleyfair was the first park bought by Cedar Point in 1978 and they named the parent company after the two parks "Cedar" from Cedar Point and "Fair" from Valleyfair to create the name Cedar Fair. The Paramount acquisition didn't happen till 2006. All this was found by a simple search on Google

I'm positive Cedar Fair had the name way before they even bought ValleyFair. (if it was part of the Paramount Purchase)

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure that's not where they got the name.

And just because of that, it doesn't make the park higher in rank. I mean it does deserve more attractions, but it doesn't make near as much money as the other parks.

I will be third person to correct you then. "In 1978 in an effort to increase investment capital for continued park expansion, Valleyfair was acquired by Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio and placed under the management of Cedar Fair Limited Partnership." Translation, VF was very successful and the owners knew they needed to expand to keep the success going but lacked financial capital and also theme park experience in growing a park. They approached Cedar Point to help them with both and that is when they decided to form Cedar Fair so VF and CP where the 1st two parks in the chain. Also the former Cedar Fair CEO Dick Kinzel served as the General Manager of Valleyfair from 1978-1986. The Paramount purchase had nothing to do with it.

I meant to say full circuit invert. 170' would set a new world record. Put it into the 3500' range and that might fall into the 15 million category. Let's not forget though that along with Carrowinds and California's Great America, Valleyfair has been earmarked by Cedarfair Corporate for significant growth. Maybe 20 million is not out of the question.

Let's also remember that Cedarfair has some history of putting record breakers or near record breakers into Valleyfair. When Wild Thing opened it was the world's second tallest coaster just behind Magnum XL-200. Only a couple of feet separated them. Also, Power Tower was slated to be 300' tall but had to be shortened due to Flying Cloud Airport across the river. I believe that would have been a record at the time.

Does everyone know how Cedarfair got it's name? Cedar Point, a single park, decided that they wanted to expand into an amusement park company. Their first acquisition was, you guessed it, Valleyfair! They took "Cedar" and "Fair" to form the corporate name of Cedarfair. So given the historical value that Valleyfair has in the Cedarfair chain, Valleyfair should really be one of their flagship parks!

If you're talking about full-circuit inverts, then it would have to be at least 196 feet tall because Alpengeist is 195 feet tall. I am aware that Valleyfair was noted as having potential for significant growth, but still, I don't want to set my expectations too high, or else I might be setting myself up for disappointment. Also, I couldn't agree with you more on the second part. Valleyfair puts the "Fair" in "Cedar Fair", but yet they've never gotten the treatment that Cedar Point has. Valleyfair will never be a Cedar Point, but for being one of the company's first parks, it really gets ignored and left behind.

I stand corrected on the height record for a full circuit invert.

Here is a question for all of you. What do you think of Thunder Canyon? Year's ago I could not go on the ride without getting soaked completly. It was a lot of fun. The last couple of years it has become a joke as to who will get "splashed"! Thunder Canyon is in need a major facelift. I don't want it removed as it is pretty fun but it needs some TLC. What does everyone think?

Here is a question for all of you. What do you think of Thunder Canyon? Year's ago I could not go on the ride without getting soaked completly. It was a lot of fun. The last couple of years it has become a joke as to who will get "splashed"! Thunder Canyon is in need a major facelift. I don't want it removed as it is pretty fun but it needs some TLC. What does everyone think?

I think Thunder Canyon is an okay ride. You'll like it if you're the type person who loves getting wet, but if you're like me and don't particularly care about it, then it's just okay. I only rode it once last year, and that's because it was 90 degrees and humid. It's a hit or miss on whether or not you get soaked. I just got mildly wet. If you want to guarantee yourself you'll get totally soaked, then go ride The Wave, front row. I still think Thunder Canyon does it's job. It's still relatively popular with children and their families, unlike it's next-door neighbor Excalibur that never has a line. Like I said, it really depends on how you feel about water rides.

I'm positive Cedar Fair had the name way before they even bought ValleyFair.

Are. You. Serious?

If you read the posts above you would know. There was no reason to post this. I said "Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't ValleyFair a paramount Park?"

I don't do a lot of research on ValleyFair. Apparently you do.Posting for posting sake.

^

It's hard to see it in this photo. It looks like it was painted yellow, but it's hard to tell. Hopefully, VF will post some pictures of it on Facebook or Twitter soon.

One of the arms has yellow cars, the other has orange cars and they have not put any cars on the third arm yet. I am guessing they will be red based on the other 2 colors but who knows. Like you said, hopefully VF will post some pictures soon. With the rain expected all day today I doubt they will be putting anymore cars on though.

Are. You. Serious?

If you read the posts above you would know. There was no reason to post this. I said "Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't ValleyFair a paramount Park?"

I don't do a lot of research on ValleyFair. Apparently you do.Posting for posting sake.

Sure there was, you asked to be corrected and were. Like you said, you don't do much research on VF so maybe next time you will now take the extra 20 seconds to do a Google search before posting in park forums that you don't have much back ground on. Posting just for posting sake is a waste of time for other people who read this forum so if you going to do that be prepared for some not so friendly feedback.

Are. You. Serious?

Sure there was, you asked to be corrected and were. Like you said, you don't do much research on VF so maybe next time you will now take the extra 20 seconds to do a Google search before posting in park forums that you don't have much back ground on. Posting just for posting sake is a waste of time for other people who read this forum so if you going to do that be prepared for some not so friendly feedback.

I know, because the internet is open to everyone, anyone can make an account and post rude, harsh, whatever. But I was already corrected four times before he posted. So there was no need to post.

I have not been on it in years but it used to get you major league wet. The only time I see it anymore is when I am going up Renegade's lift hill. I am sure it could use some love and I would not like to see it removed either unless they put in a new coaster and then they can get rid of it if they have too. With the expected water park expansion it would be nice if they could figure out a way to create a bridge or something from the water park to the ride and if they cannot not make it part of the water park at least make it real friendly and easy to go between the two. If they could do something like that I am sure it would get more riders. That is my 2 cents.

Actually, did you know this is wrong?

On the topic of Valleyfair, Ive actually always been very interested in this place. I do kinda look at it as one of the chain's flagships because of the name, and yet they really dont have a major headliner or anything worth traveling far for (in my opinion). It looks like a really nice park aesthetically, but as a less hardcore theme park fan, I would want a major attraction to get me to the park, and Im sure most people feel the same way. I think they could definitely use a nice big coaster in the next few years, because as of now the very pleasant space theyve created is wasted on somewhat mediocre attractions IMO

On the topic of Valleyfair, Ive actually always been very interested in this place. I do kinda look at it as one of the chain's flagships because of the name, and yet they really dont have a major headliner or anything worth traveling far for (in my opinion). It looks like a really nice park aesthetically, but as a less hardcore theme park fan, I would want a major attraction to get me to the park, and Im sure most people feel the same way. I think they could definitely use a nice big coaster in the next few years, because as of now the very pleasant space theyve created is wasted on somewhat mediocre attractions IMO

Yeah, I hope we'll get more thrilling attractions. Over the past few years, the park has really been made more family friendly. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I feel like they now have more than enough family rides. While Route 76 looks to be a nice addition, it probably won't dramatically increase attendance. If they built a decent sized B&M invert, that would draw in people from all over the Upper Midwest. I think it really is necessary because while Valleyfair does have some fun coasters (particularly Renegade), it's probably not worth coming here if you live more than 3 hours away.

^I agree. While Renegade is a really fun, very good ride, the park isn't worth going out of your way to visit. I live about 3 1/2 hours away, and I usually only swing by the park after a Vikings game or if I'm in town for the weekend.

Yeah, I hope we'll get more thrilling attractions. Over the past few years, the park has really been made more family friendly. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I feel like they now have more than enough family rides. While Route 76 looks to be a nice addition, it probably won't dramatically increase attendance. If they built a decent sized B&M invert, that would draw in people from all over the Upper Midwest. I think it really is necessary because while Valleyfair does have some fun coasters (particularly Renegade), it's probably not worth coming here if you live more than 3 hours away.

That is totally my thoughts as well. Cedar Point most of the time is packed to the point that it becomes not enjoyable any more. If Cedarfair expanded parks such as Valleyfair more it would relieve some of the pressure from Cedar Point. A Lot of people travel to Cedar Point just for the coasters. Right now no one would make a point to travel to Valleyfair just for the park. I think Cedarfair needs to address this issue. I'm thinking they may be getting that point with Valleyfair with how things are beginning to line up nicely for the park!

That is totally my thoughts as well. Cedar Point most of the time is packed to the point that it becomes not enjoyable any more. If Cedarfair expanded parks such as Valleyfair more it would relieve some of the pressure from Cedar Point. A Lot of people travel to Cedar Point just for the coasters. Right now no one would make a point to travel to Valleyfair just for the park. I think Cedarfair needs to address this issue. I'm thinking they may be getting that point with Valleyfair with how things are beginning to line up nicely for the park!

I agree with most of this. I highly doubt that Valleyfair would ever be another Cedar Point, but still, given all the circumstances, I think the future here looks bright. I've never been to Cedar Point, but I always hear about how terribly crowded it is, and when I get there one of these days, I will definitely get Fast Lane Plus because I will not wait who-knows-how-long for a roller coaster even if it was my only chance to ride it. Last year, the longest I waited for anything at Valleyfair was an hour for Renegade and Wild Thing, and technically, those waits should have been shorter (Renegade was down for 20 minutes for maintenance, Wild Thing was adding on the third train, and I waited for the front row on both rides), so that shows how shorter the lines are at VF.

In other news, I noticed some new dining and entertainment options on the park website:

https://www.valleyfair.com/things-to-do/dining

https://www.valleyfair.com/things-to-do/live-entertainment

^ In checking out that menu I see they have given more details about the 'Valleyfair Food Truck' that will be in Route 76 and that it will be serving gourmet hotdogs. Will be interesting to check it out. Guess Pink's didn't fit the budget.

Your assessment is pretty spot on. It's a decent park and you can have fun here but nothing worth traveling for. Hopefully the next coaster will be a major attraction that could make people want to travel here for a change. We will see what CF has in store.

Here are some pictures from the park's Facebook page of the AA roadway construction. Looking good.

Would anyone happen to know the purpose of the building in the top picture? I can't tell.

image.jpg.e2272e98c5a8bc5c05a89b335ae47e4b.jpg

image.jpg.0061b59ea281989964d9e16cc9f5d0c7.jpg

image.jpg.c0237aebcd0bb9dc82af9d52df90e047.jpg