TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Even though it was an SLC, Thunderhawk was a huge hit for Michigan's Adventure. Since it was installed in 2008, the park has pretty much been having record attendance year after year. The general public loves Thunderhawk and was a very smart move for Cedar Fair to move Thunderhawk here (even if it had to come out of unfortunate events.) I've heard several GP that think Thunderhawk is better than Shivering Timbers.

For those that have rode Thunderhawk, they can vouch for me saying that it's not the average SLC. Having rode it a grand total of 43 times last year for Coasting for Kids and visits to the park, it's much more of a comfortable ride than the Six Flags SLCs. Only issue I have with them, and I'm near 6' 4", is that it does come down on my shoulders a bit, but I didn't have any other issues with it.

I actually would not be surprised if Valleyfair does get an SLC. Considering that they're fairly "cheap" and a huge hit for the GP, would be a very good investment since it would easily be marketed as "the first suspended looping roller coaster in the state of Minnesota," much like they did for Michigan's Adventure. Yes, Steel Venom is similar in style, but is a completely different ride experience. Not to mention, CF can purchase it with the new trains that will for sure make the coaster smoother than any other SLC because it'll be new track and new trains, versus sticking new trains on old track which is pretty much just a bandaid.

While I respect your opinion, I'd be very surprised to see VF get an SLC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but CF has only ever bought one Vekoma (Woodstock Express at CP). The rest were gained in the Paramount and Geagua Lake acquisitions. I'd expect nothing but B&M for VF's next coaster.

Cedar Fair bought a Vekoma boomerang for Worlds of Fun. They don't really show an allegiance to one manufacturer, with recent new coasters from B&M, Zamperla, GCI, Intamin, and Mack (and Triotech Amusement if you count the new "coaster" at Canada's Wonderland). So I think an SLC at Valleyfair could definitely happen, but at this point it's just a rumor.

It would be cheaper than a new B&M and ValleyFair isn't a huge money maker. We will have to wait and see.

Neither is Worlds of Fun and they got Patriot...

Worlds of Fun is slightly ahead of Valleyfair in terms of revenue, and the market was a lot better back in 2006 when Patriot was built for what seems now a measly $14mil. We could see a B&M similar to Patriot built at Valleyfair, but with today's coaster prices, looking around anywhere from $16-18 million, that's a lot of capital for Valleyfair to support for being the 2nd smallest park in the chain.

I got the $16-18 million by the way from the price of OzIris, which was €12 million for the ride alone, which is about equal to $16.4 million and OzIris is smaller than Patriot.

I'd have to guess around $10-12 million for a brand new Vekoma SLC, which would fit a lot better in Valleyfair's capital range. Hard to know the price for a new SLC because the recent "new" ones have been relocated and the only new one built recently is the one going up in Iraq.

It would be cheaper than a new B&M and ValleyFair isn't a huge money maker. We will have to wait and see.

Worlds of Fun is slightly ahead of Valleyfair in terms of revenue, and the market was a lot better back in 2006 when Patriot was built for what seems now a measly $14mil. We could see a B&M similar to Patriot built at Valleyfair, but with today's coaster prices, looking around anywhere from $16-18 million, that's a lot of capital for Valleyfair to support for being the 2nd smallest park in the chain.

Agreed. However, I don't believe that will stop Valleyfair from receiving a B&M. We are the only park in the chain without one except for MiA. We were scheduled to receive one in 2005. But plans were scrapped and the contract became Hydra at Dorney.

I got the $16-18 million by the way from the price of OzIris, which was €12 million for the ride alone, which is about equal to $16.4 million and OzIris is smaller than Patriot.

I'd have to guess around $10-12 million for a brand new Vekoma SLC, which would fit a lot better in Valleyfair's capital range. Hard to know the price for a new SLC because the recent "new" ones have been relocated and the only new one built recently is the one going up in Iraq.

Patriot cost $14 million, but so did Wild Thing (1996), and in 2014 dollars, that's almost $21 million. Honestly, I do think a B&M (especially an invert) is definitely a possiblility for Valleyfair. They should just be patient and just wait longer to gain more capital to get a quality B&M because I'd rather wait two or three years and get an awesome B&M than get a cheap 'okay' coaster next year. Valleyfair really needs a kick-butt ride that will make the GP want to visit Valleyfair more than once a year. Also, B&M has been Cedar Fair's go-to manufacturer for steel coasters for the past several years, and, once again, CF has never directly bought a new SLC, so I'd say a B&M is much more likely to happen than an SLC.

In other news, Valleyfair just released the 2014 park map...

290635839_VFParkMap(1).thumb.jpg.61c78b7a7debe1126d0376921f3396de.jpg

^ They put sand volleyball courts where IMAX used to be. Hopefully these are temporary to be replaced by a needed water park expansion in 2015. They also put a performance stage where Scrambler used to be.

I really hope that the volleyball nets are just here for this year. Soak City really needs a better expansion than that. They need some thrilling new water slides. Hurricane Falls is fun, but only for a few rides, and while the drop on Panic Falls Speed Slides is intense, the headbanging on the landing is just awful. If the Volleyball courts are here to stay for a while, maybe it could mean that 2015 might be our year for a new coaster. Then again, I really shouldn't get my hopes up.

A nice aerial shot of Northern Lights from Valleyfair's Facebook page. You can also see from here just where the Antique Auto's track will go under Wild Thing's turn around. Looks like the spot for the Scrambler has just been started too.

image.jpg.5fe893c2e477061dd3002ee9b290f595.jpg

Aerial shot.

^ They put sand volleyball courts where IMAX used to be. Hopefully these are temporary to be replaced by a needed water park expansion in 2015. They also put a performance stage where Scrambler used to be.

ugh, like valley fair needs another performance stage, those people just make me feel uncomfortable

ugh, like valley fair needs another performance stage, those people just make me feel uncomfortable

Yeah, I can't see why Valleyfair would need another stage, especially since the amphitheater has been dormant for the past few years. The amphitheater itself isn't a great place for live performances because it is right near the Wild Thing turnaround, and the loud WT trains rushing by would be distracting for performers and the audience. If and when Valleyfair does away with the amphitheater, I think that it would be the perfect place for a new thrilling flat ride, or perhaps they could put the queue and station for a new coaster there, and then have the ride take place over the midways.

Yeah, I can't see why Valleyfair would need another stage, especially since the amphitheater has been dormant for the past few years. The amphitheater itself isn't a great place for live performances because it is right near the Wild Thing turnaround, and the loud WT trains rushing by would be distracting for performers and the audience. If and when Valleyfair does away with the amphitheater, I think that it would be the perfect place for a new thrilling flat ride, or perhaps they could put the queue and station for a new coaster there, and then have the ride take place over the midways.

That's also the train turnaround. A part of the ride may be in there, but not the station.

Hey guys, just a few questions about the park that you may be able to help me with. We are going to visit the park for the first time this summer, and need some help in our planning.

1. How long do the lines typicly get on a sat in July? Is a fast lane pass nessersary?

2. Will we be able to hit all the coasters in one day? And if so, whats a good way to attack the park?

3. We typicly like to choose a indoor type restaurant to eat in, so what are some good recomedations?

4. What are some hidden gems of the park that we should check out?

Thank's for any input.

In other news, Valleyfair just released the 2014 park map...

The map confirms that Chickie's and Pete's is indeed replacing Stadium Grille. I know I've said a lot about the restaurant in other threads, but those of you near VF are in for a treat.

I've never been to Valleyfair myself, but as for thrillrider's third question...

3. We typically like to choose an indoor type restaurant to eat in, so what are some good recommendations?

Chickie's and Pete's. That is all.

Hey guys, just a few questions about the park that you may be able to help me with. We are going to visit the park for the first time this summer, and need some help in our planning.

1. How long do the lines typicly get on a sat in July? Is a fast lane pass nessersary?

2. Will we be able to hit all the coasters in one day? And if so, whats a good way to attack the park?

3. We typicly like to choose a indoor type restaurant to eat in, so what are some good recomedations?

Thank's for any input.

1. July is probably the busiest time of year for Valleyfair, but I personally have never seen or waited in a line longer than one hour. I wouldn't recommend a Fast Lane unless you can only stay for a few hours.

2. Yeah. You'll be able to ride every coaster there in one day with plenty of re-rides. Make sure you get there early, and get plenty of laps on Renegade before it gets busy because unfortunately, Valleyfair is hesitant to put two trains on Renegade.

Also, try to knock out High Roller and Corkscrew early because while they are fun for what they are, they aren't worth waiting more than 20 minutes for. Excalibur isn't always open directly at park opening, but when it does open, it is a walk-on 90% of the time. In general, Steel Venom and Wild Thing also have shorter lines in the morning, so to simplify, the earlier, the better.

3. Coasters is a 50s style diner, which I find to be pretty nice, and Chickie's and Pete's is taking over the sports bar, and will open this May. I obviously haven't been in it yet, but from what I've read, it looks good.

4. I like Excalibur (Arrow Dynamics hybrid coaster) more than most seem to. It's relatively short, but it has some good positive Gs, and one nice pop of airtime. It is a little jerky, but really nothing that I would consider painful. Corkscrew is just an Arrow Loopscrew coaster, but it is smoother than most. Also, while most rows on Wild Thing are just "meh", the front rows have some great airtime.

Hope you enjoy Valleyfair.

Edited by VF15

Thank's for any input.

1) At most an hour but usually around 30-35 minutes at it's busiest so I would not recommend a Fast Pass.

2) Yes, you will easily be able to hit all of the coasters in one day with re-rides like VF15 indicated. If you have to have the Wild Mouse credit or just need to ride it you may want to hit that first because due to it's low capacity and being a family ride the line gets long quick and moves slow. It's not the most efficient path to start there as far as walking but will help you avoid that line. If you can skip that I would go in the order of Corkscrew, High Roller, Renegade, Excalibur, Wild Thing and then Steel Venom. If you start at 10 am you could be done with a ride on all those in about 3.5 to 4 hours easily if you go straight through them with the rest of the day for re-rides.

Wild Thing: The front car gives you the best airtime.

High Roller: If your not in the front row chose the middle seat of the car you choose for the best ride.

Steel Venom: If you do not get the front row seat you can choose the 3rd row right side and you still have an unobstructed view of the sky on the first spike. I would suggest also trying a row towards the back to experience that side of the ride. Remember the brake does work on this coaster for that 'oh cr*p' moment on the back spike.

Renegade: Last row and 2nd to last are my favorite rows because being at the end they get a little more thrown around (in a good way). Front row once too just to see that twisted drop hill from the top. Also, if you stay at the park until dark this is a MUST ride because the whole back of the coaster has no lighting on it or coming from the park. Don't get caught in line for this ride between noon and 1:30 pm because that is when they drop the 2nd train usually on a Saturday and it takes 20-30 minutes for that process. I have idea why they don't open with 2 trains on the weekends for this popular ride.

3) The other suggestions here for in the park are good.

4) A hidden gem is the old school bumper cars if you like them. They are not on the main path and easy to overlook.

Have a good time on your visit.

This is all great info.

So the chickie and Petes is the only indoor sit down restaurant in the park?

Also, any shows worth checking out?

As I said, Coasters is another indoor restaurant, but I'm expecting Chickie's and Pete's to be better. I'm not much of a show person, and the lineup generally changes every year, so you should check the website once they have a list. Although, they do have a cool fireworks show at 9:50pm on summer nights.

I agree with all of RCjunkie's seating recommendations. You should especially follow the one he listed for High Roller, or else you'll just get beat up and thrown around in a bad way.

Another coaster type I've heard people say VF should get in the future is a Gerstlauer Eurofighter. There are three reasons I don't think this will happen. 1) Cedar Fair has yet to purchase a Eurofighter. 2) The only Gerstlauer coaster Cedar Fair purchased was a spinning coaster for Worlds of Fun, and that was 10 years ago (Correct me if I'm wrong). 3) We have a Eurofighter 25 minutes away from VF at Nickelodeon Universe. Don't get me wrong, I think that Eurofighters are lots of fun, but Valleyfair needs something other than that right now.

Another coaster type I've heard people say VF should get in the future is a Gerstlauer Eurofighter. There are three reasons I don't think this will happen. 1) Cedar Fair has yet to purchase a Eurofighter. 2) The only Gerstlauer coaster Cedar Fair purchased was a spinning coaster for Worlds of Fun, and that was 10 years ago (Correct me if I'm wrong). 3) We have a Eurofighter 25 minutes away from VF at Nickelodeon Universe. Don't get me wrong, I think that Eurofighters are lots of fun, but Valleyfair needs something other than that right now.

Yeah... The SLC is more likely.

Many didn't think we'd get Cedar Fair's first GCI either. Now three of the smallest parks in the chain have one.