TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Judging by the fact that we are halfway through November, and the site doesn't appear to be fully cleared yet, I don't think we'll see anything happen there for 2014 besides grass. My guess is that the removal needed to happen now, because they want to be able to start on whatever is planned early next fall. If it is a waterpark expansion, they could start that as early as labor day.

Of course it's remotely possible to see something added for next year, but judging by how far along they are, I'm skeptical of that.

Well, it's not in California, and it's not Six Flags, so there is still plenty of time to get it finished before next year.

Judging by the fact that we are halfway through November, and the site doesn't appear to be fully cleared yet, I don't think we'll see anything happen there for 2014 besides grass. My guess is that the removal needed to happen now, because they want to be able to start on whatever is planned early next fall. If it is a waterpark expansion, they could start that as early as labor day.

Of course it's remotely possible to see something added for next year, but judging by how far along they are, I'm skeptical of that.

Well, it's not in California, and it's not Six Flags, so there is still plenty of time to get it finished before next year.

And it would be a water park expansion and not a major coaster so the construction time line would be shorter and they would have until Memorial Day weekend when Soak City opens to get it done. Unfortunately the site is not 100% clear yet and winter is coming soon (and this is not California ) so my guess is we get grass for next year and the expansion in 2015. 2015 is VF's 40th anniversary so I am slightly disappointed that the park probably will not be getting a big thrill ride or coaster to mark the occasion but probably a water park expansion instead.

Or Disney World (Avatar Land/ Seven Dwarfs Mine Train)

Lol, you're right about it not being six flags

However, as someone whose home park was Valleyfair for my entire life up until a year ago, my speculation is coming from how far in the construction process they usually are at this point in the year. You're correct, they could get it done, but I'm still placing my bet on 2015 due to how they've operated in the past.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this plays out though, and the possibility of expanding the warterpark is exciting. There's really a lot that could be done with that.

For once, Rocky Mountain could EXTEND the amount of track a ride has, instead of shortening it, for Excalibur. I know Arrow didn't design great coasters very often, but Excalibur could and should have been at least another thousand feet of track. Every time I rode it I felt like VF had a potential gem with the concept of a monster mine train, but they told Arrow they only had enough money for 2500 feet of track. I would like to see what could be done with extending the ride to use up more of the momentum from a 100 foot drop.

For once, Rocky Mountain could EXTEND the amount of track a ride has, instead of shortening it, for Excalibur. I know Arrow didn't design great coasters very often, but Excalibur could and should have been at least another thousand feet of track. Every time I rode it I felt like VF had a potential gem with the concept of a monster mine train, but they told Arrow they only had enough money for 2500 feet of track. I would like to see what could be done with extending the ride to use up more of the momentum from a 100 foot drop.

So true. The length of track is one of the biggest peeves I have with the coaster among others. Adding track could have made this ride better for sure because it is so short but that is just CF treating VF like a red headed step child and not bringing the cash again. They went cheap on Wild Thing (Morgan) too compared to other Hyper coasters built by other companies. This left the park with a Hyper that is the biggest signature ride in the park but after the first drop hill is pretty average and boring. Even though I really like the ride and am happy Steel Venom is at the park it is VF's only Intamin ride and it is just an Impulse coaster and not a full loop one. Going on the cheap again. I don't understand how CF expects to grow attendance at VF when they always seem to go on the cheap side for this park. Renegade is a high quality ride but I think the park just got lucky that CF decided to try it's first GCI because the price was right ($7.5 million) and the park was just fortunate that GCI makes solid coasters. Maybe someday they will make an investment on a coaster that would have guests actually wanting to visit the park more than once a summer because the ride experience is that good.

So true. The length of track is one of the biggest peeves I have with the coaster among others. Adding track could have made this ride better for sure because it is so short but that is just CF treating VF like a red headed step child and not bringing the cash again. They went cheap on Wild Thing (Morgan) too compared to other Hyper coasters built by other companies. This left the park with a Hyper that is the biggest signature ride in the park but after the first drop hill is pretty average and boring. Even though I really like the ride and am happy Steel Venom is at the park it is VF's only Intamin ride and it is just an Impulse coaster and not a full loop one. Going on the cheap again. I don't understand how CF expects to grow attendance at VF when they always seem to go on the cheap side for this park. Renegade is a high quality ride but I think the park just got lucky that CF decided to try it's first GCI because the price was right ($7.5 million) and the park was just fortunate that GCI makes solid coasters. Maybe someday they will make an investment on a coaster that would have guests actually wanting to visit the park more than once a summer because the ride experience is that good.

See, I've never thought Valleyfair has been treated like CF's red headed step child. Wild Thing cost more than the Steel Force or Mamba, it was a huge addition to the park and is still quite popular 17 years later.

They replaced Wild Rails with Mad Mouse in 1999. They really didn't have to, but they did.

We got a Power Tower in 2000, that wasn't cheap.

Steel Venom was a brand new concept to Minnesota when it was introduced in 2003 and I think it only ended up in the location it did because it was spur of the moment. People loved it from day one.

2005 and 2006 brought new thrill rides to the park (Riptide and Xtreme Swing)

2007 was Renegade.

2009 Wave Pool, not huge but still growth.

2011 brought Planet Snoopy. People often overlook this expansion but it did bring seven new rides to the park and rethemed six more! Granted they are for kids and families but let's face it. The families buy the thrillseeker's rides. When you throw in theming and landscaping, this was substantial and that side of the park really looks incredible!

2013 brought Dinosaurs Alive. Sure, it was a chain wide attraction, but we got it. It's Cedar Fair paying attention to this little old park in MN.

2014 New family area, including a Zamperla Disko Coaster. Also removal of IMAX, in preparation for something (most likely Water park expansion).

They're hinting at reuse of the amphitheater lawn, presumably for more moved attractions.

Cedar Fair is paying attention to us, maybe not the attention we want right now. However, I'd rather be VF than MiA or CGA.

Are you going to have years of capital improvement? Certainly! Are rides going to be removed without being immediately replaced? Sure.

I'm not saying this park is anywhere close to perfect. I'm just saying don't give up hope. In five years, we will have a new coaster and a beautiful new water park. Then what on earth are we gonna want?

Just my opinions.

Well, Wild Thing opened in 1996, and that was before bigger companies like B&M and Intamin made hypercoasters, so I really don't blame them for going with Morgan (Morgan hypercoasters are a lot smoother than Arrow hypercoasters). However, when you consider that $14 million for Wild Thing is the most that Valleyfair has ever spent on a roller coaster, and that most modern B&Ms cost $20 million+, I unfortunately feel that Valleyfair will go for something cheap when they finally get another coaster.

^ Now that Morgan is working with KK for Lighting Run, there could be a chance they could come back to VF for their next Coaster project.

And if Morgan does come back to add a ride maybe they could also update and design some new trains for Wild Thing similar to what happened with Steel Dragon 2000 as part of the package. Kind of like what Zamperla is doing with selling the park Northern Lights plus refurbishing Scrambler and Tilt-A-Whirl for next year. It will be interesting to see how Lighting Run turns out, hopefully it's a fun ride.

Well, Wild Thing opened in 1996, and that was before bigger companies like B&M and Intamin made hypercoasters, so I really don't blame them for going with Morgan (Morgan hypercoasters are a lot smoother than Arrow hypercoasters). However, when you consider that $14 million for Wild Thing is the most that Valleyfair has ever spent on a roller coaster, and that most modern B&Ms cost $20 million+, I unfortunately feel that Valleyfair will go for something cheap when they finally get another coaster.

Keep in mind, Wild Thing was $14,000,000 in 1996. That's over $21,000,000 in today's money.

Also, two years prior to WT, CP built Raptor for $11,500,000. So it's safe to assume that Wild Thing was more than a B&M invert would have been.

The longest B&M invert is being built right now for a price tag of $24,000,000. A slightly smaller version could be in the budget.

I think they will go with something cheap too. I would rather they not add a new coaster until they have a budget of $20 million even if that means more years without a new coaster as they save up more capital for an expenditure that large. I would like to see what an investment that big would bring in additional attendance to the park. Like when Wild Thing helped the park hit it first 1 million visitor year. But unlike CF I don't have to answer to shareholders for return on investment so that's easy for me to say.

The longest B&M invert is being built right now for a price tag of $24,000,000. A slightly smaller version could be in the budget.

You need to remember that the $24 millions is the project cost, not the cost for only building Banshee. I promise you that the removal of the Son Of Beast coaster took away a few millions of the budget.

You need to remember that the $24 millions is the project cost, not the cost for only building Banshee. I promise you that the removal of the Son Of Beast coaster took away a few millions of the budget.

True. But a $20,000,000 project is still substantial.

^ Now that Morgan is working with KK for Lighting Run, there could be a chance they could come back to VF for their next Coaster project.

And if Morgan does come back to add a ride maybe they could also update and design some new trains for Wild Thing similar to what happened with Steel Dragon 2000 as part of the package. Kind of like what Zamperla is doing with selling the park Northern Lights plus refurbishing Scrambler and Tilt-A-Whirl for next year. It will be interesting to see how Lighting Run turns out, hopefully it's a fun ride.

That package to which you are referring: did include the B&M trains? Or was it a different package?

That package to which you are referring: did include the B&M trains? Or was it a different package?

SD 2000 got B&M trains. If Morgan brought another ride to VF they should design some new Morgan trains for Wild Thing as part of the deal. Personally I hope this never happens.