TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I've only been to Valleyfair once, and I don't even remember seeing an IMAX theatre anywhere in the park or nearby.

As a fan of your great trip reports I've noticed they have you and beer in a lot of them so this does not surprise me you missed seeing a 500 seat 4 story tall theater.

The demolition picture is now on Valleyfair's Facebook and Twitter pages and it is a great site to see. The park really needs the land to expand the water park as they increase in popularity to keep the crowds coming which should hopefully translate to a new coaster in the future. Too bad when they built the thing in 1982 they did not have the foresight to put it up towards the entrance so in the winter they could have used it to show theater released movies and get revenue that way. Even though it was a nice place to cool off during the day which will be missed the new water park expansion will draw more people to the park than the IMAX ever did.

Unfortunately you heard wrong. I could go on in detail why it isn't even an average coaster but with it ranked #304 on the Mitch Hawker poll you get the idea. I have no idea if/when they will remove the ride but I assume it will be the first of the existing coasters to be removed because on weekdays they do not open the ride until noon when the park opens at 10:00 am plus it is the only coaster not operating during Haunt. If it was a good coaster there would be more demand to ride it. I'm sure you have many years left to get the credit so come on up and get it done on the 'El Camino' of roller coasters.

I would go on to say that Excalibur's lack of popularity is also very much due to its horrible location in the park. Literally the farthest thing from the entrance, wrapped behind the water park, and only accessible through a little tunnel. I'm not saying Excalibur is the best ride, but I bet it would be more popular if it had a more high-profile location. I mean, I only visited Valleyfair during Haunt, and I was disappointed that it was closed, but it makes sense to me to close the park off at that little tunnel. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of visitors didn't even know Excalibur existed. To me, Renegade works well at the back of the park, and Excalibur and the rapids are like an unnecessary add-on (even though they were added first).

If Excalibur is ever removed, I would say use that land for a nice water park expansion. Integrate the rapids as a cross between the ride park and water park.

^ I would much rather the land be used for Coaster additions but thats just me.

I would almost always (selfishly) agree, but this park seriously needs to expand the water park. If you really look at what this water park has to offer you'll realize that it's easily the worst water park in the chain... and possibly at any major corporate theme park in the country.

^ I would much rather the land be used for Coaster additions but thats just me.

I would almost always (selfishly) agree, but this park seriously needs to expand the water park. If you really look at what this water park has to offer you'll realize that it's easily the worst water park in the chain... and possibly at any major corporate theme park in the country.

Exactly! Totally agree. I always want a new coaster too but a water park expansion is the #1 thing needed for this park for all the reasons stated by coasterbill. Once that is done a new coaster will move up to #1 on the list of things the park needs.

Oh I completely agree the park needs a Water Park expansion, I'm just saying that if Excalibur were to be removed I would not want that area to be used for more Water Park expansion. The current work for expansion is fine, just not up in Excaliburs spot lol!

I would go on to say that Excalibur's lack of popularity is also very much due to its horrible location in the park.

Yes, it probably would get more ridership with a better location but I don't think that has anything to do with it's popularity. I doubt the park would close that tunnel if Renegade, Steel Venom or Wild Thing were back there so to me it has to do with the coaster and not the location.

If Excalibur is ever removed, I would say use that land for a nice water park expansion. Integrate the rapids as a cross between the ride park and water park.

That makes the most sense and it will probably happen someday but personally I think a Eurofighter coaster would fit in Excalibur's spot very nicely.

I just wonder where they would be able to fit a new coaster in the park now, whenever that may happen.

That is an interesting question. Obviously it depends on the size and type of the coaster but the area next to High Roller where the old picnic area as it the biggest space. After that your probably getting rid of an existing coaster or moving even more rides to create space. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years.

^That area of the park will not see any real expansion. It’s on the flood side of the dyke that protects the park. It takes a lot for the city of Shakopee to approve anything to be built down there because of flooding. I for one am not opposed to the removal of Excalibur to make room for waterpark . Really it’s up to Rob Decker and the guys in planning and design to come up with the best way to use that space.

I think the entire back of the park will be redesigned over the next five years. That's why dinosaurs and Route 76 are up front.

Here are my opinions:

Beginning at Red Baron and High Roller (station), the only things I expect to remain is the Wave Pool and Renegade. Mad Mouse can be relocated easy enough.... I don't think the water park needs to be expanded per say, just updated, badly. By better utilizing the space in the water park plus some of Excalibur's space, that water park would be great!

Wheel of Fortune can stay where it is, it's pretty much out of the way.

Relocate:

Mad Mouse

Remove:

Hydroblaster

Looping Starship (replace with Zamperla Hawk)

Excalibur (Replace with B&M invert. I'm not saying that to sound like a fan boy. We need one.)

Thunder Canyon (replace with a new flume ride)

Relocate Mad Mouse to amphitheater area.

A long skinnier water park would allow a widening of the park back there and a circuit to made instead of a dead end. A path right through IMAX, under the road back to Hawk and the new Log Flume . There'd be room for a new flat between Log Flume and Renegade. The new path loops right around the new B&M invert. The station for the new coaster is n the back side of the park, pulling riders back there and allowing the first drop to take place near the Lake and visible from nearly the entire park.

Again just my opinion.

Another thought for a new coaster. This could be done even with the work I talked about above ^^^.

If you removed the amphitheater and relocated Enterprise to Scrambler's old space, you could easily fit Mad Mouse, Ferris Wheel, and The Wave in that area. This opens up a good chunk of land. With the removal of Cork Screw (Ouimet has implied that a few old coasters would be replaced in the next few years) that opens space for a new B&M Floorless. Again, my mentioning of B&M is simply because I do believe one is coming in the next five years. I'm not trying to be an unrealistic fan boy.

It could utilize CS's station and the train could leave the station turning to the right and onto the lift hill. Climbing the lift hill and dropping in to a verticle loop next to Power Tower then a pretzel loop turning towards Wild Thing and a nice curved camel back around PT Island. Up into a zero G-Roll under the first drop heading towards Monster now into interlocking corkscrews near the current Ferris Wheel location. A quick helix into the brakes finishes it off.

Okay. Back to reality. LOL.

Also another thought. Notice in the mock ups of Route 76 the path just kind of fades away near the fence line? Like it's being designed to connect with another path. Presumably the path would go throughout the amphitheater lawn. I think whatever happens with the next relocation of a ride or rides will include amphitheater going bye-bye.

I think the entire back of the park will be redesigned over the next five years. That's why dinosaurs and Route 76 are up front.

A long skinnier water park would allow a widening of the park back there and a circuit to made instead of a dead end. A path right through IMAX, under the road back to Hawk and the new Log Flume . There'd be room for a new flat between Log Flume and Renegade. The new path loops right around the new B&M invert. The station for the new coaster is n the back side of the park, pulling riders back there and allowing the first drop to take place near the Lake and visible from nearly the entire park.

Again just my opinion.

You paint a nice picture that I personally would like to see for sure. But with all the removals, additions and relocations you mention I doubt it could be done in a 5 year period. Not physically, but the huge capital investment it would take to do that. Cedar Fair has never really been aggressive with investing in VF. Maybe in 10 years though.

Also another thought. Notice in the mock ups of Route 76 the path just kind of fades away near the fence line? Like it's being designed to connect with another path. Presumably the path would go throughout the amphitheater lawn. I think whatever happens with the next relocation of a ride or rides will include amphitheater going bye-bye.

I agree, the amphitheater takes up a lot of space where they can put more rides which will connect or be next to Route 76. Maybe Monster or Looping Starship will end up there.

^Never knew they had one; therefore, didn't look for it while I was there.

Didn't look or just different priority? Blonde > IMAX. Well played.

Haha! I totally remember that. Such a fun day. There was also a crazy girl in front of us that was dancing and singing to the whole thing in her seat.

My Ideas:

Relocate Looping Starship to the former Scrambler spot to make room for a Waterpark Expansion

With Tilt A Whirl relocated, Remove the Wild Thing Photos (Relocate) for a Waterpark Expansion

Remove the Giggle Run/ Splash Station and replace it with a Larger family Play Area like Blastaway Beach

Relocate/Remove Wheel Of Fortune and use that area for the parks next coaster

Add another major coaster behind Excalibur/ Thunder Canyon

Repaint a few slides in the Waterpark

Replace Hydro Blasters with New Slides

Valleyfair posted a picture this morning of the IMAX being completely demolished. YEAH! Now the speculation can really begin as to what will replace it and when.

247672090_IMAXHalfdemolished.jpg.65f8e30a23cde85ee399b34db1e57b43.jpg

During demolition.

1887391972_IMAXdemolished.jpg.ea020dd5d9641d151db319e6ec222e1a.jpg

Shot this morning of the 'missing' IMAX from Soak City Path.

My Ideas:

Relocate Looping Starship to the former Scrambler spot to make room for a Waterpark Expansion

>>>I can see this happening

With Tilt A Whirl relocated, Remove the Wild Thing Photos (Relocate) for a Waterpark Expansion

>>>>>This, too.

Remove the Giggle Run/ Splash Station and replace it with a Larger family Play Area like Blastaway Beach

>>>>>This, as well.

Relocate/Remove Wheel Of Fortune and use that area for the parks next coaster

>>>>> This, not so much, I think it's out of the way where it is and they won't fuss with it.

Add another major coaster behind Excalibur/ Thunder Canyon

>>>>> Perhaps... But not with out them addressing the dead end situation. With a Soak City expansion and IMAX removal, Rob Decker may be able to work his magic and build the back into the circuit it needs to be.

Repaint a few slides in the Waterpark

Replace Hydro Blasters with New Slides

>>>>> No need for paint, I believe all slides will be replaced.

Just my opinions.

So...are we thinking that they leave that area as a big grassy area for next year or are we thinking they might announce another expansion for 2014. I just don't see why they would tear it down this off season if they weren't going to put something in for next year, but who knows.

Judging by the fact that we are halfway through November, and the site doesn't appear to be fully cleared yet, I don't think we'll see anything happen there for 2014 besides grass. My guess is that the removal needed to happen now, because they want to be able to start on whatever is planned early next fall. If it is a waterpark expansion, they could start that as early as labor day.

Of course it's remotely possible to see something added for next year, but judging by how far along they are, I'm skeptical of that.