TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I think they are just going along with the name of the rides model name. Thats why they are marketing it as a “coaster”. The general public will love it and thats what really matters in the end. We might know it’s not a coaster but the general public doesn’t, nor do they really care. They get a fun new ride to enjoy!

I think a large-scale thrilling coaster, and a waterpark over haul would really round out Valleyfair's ride collection. It still wouldn't be on par with the larger parks around the country, but adding a decent-sized inverting coaster would really put their collection at the top of the "Under 10 Coasters" club.

That being said, I think the water park is the area that needs the attention for next year. MN is really lacking overall when it comes to waterparks. There isn't a decent outdoor waterpark from Minneapolis to the Wisconsin Dells, and the Water Park of America near MOA has a pretty lackluster collection of slides. VF's current waterpark is probably the poorest of any park I've been too. It's by far the worst in the Cedar Fair chain with it's limited attractions. Now granted it will never be the sprawling park waterpark that you'll find at KI or WoF, but it's been pretty much the same since it opened. VF's Soak City only consists of a single body slide tower, vertical speed slides, 4-person raft slide, lazy river, brief adventure river, wavepool, and the worst kids area I've ever seen. We've got community pools with better features for kids.

The first thing Soak City needs, is to replace the kids area. MIA put in a great looking kids area a few years ago, which would fit perfect in VF's IMAX theatre location. I've done some measuring on Google Maps, and ProSlide provides dimensions for all of their slides on their website. A decent sized climbing structure could fit here, with plenty of room for lounge chairs.

Another Disko coaster. I love it.

When were the antique cars removed?

Before the 2013 season, to make way for Dino's Alive

They removed their Antique Cars for Dino Alive? That's awful.

Where's the new coaster? I mean they're fun little rides, but I don't think they should be called a coaster.

But they use the word coaster a lot. Is VF going through and calling it a coaster? If so, then KI and CP need to get the memo.

Valleyfair saw all of the spirited Is it wood/steel/hybrid?!? discussion for the two Texas Six Flags parks/Outlaw Run at SDC and felt left out, so they dropped this bomb on the coaster message board world.

The Roller Coaster Database doesn't consider Zamperla DiskO/Skater Coasters as actual roller coasters, but generally the parks that market them do. I'm not surprised that Valleyfair counts it as a coaster in their marketing.

I love the Disko coaster thing at CGA, but if they are marketing this as a "family" coaster is it going to be as big? Just as a comparison, the one at CGA has a 48" height requirement while the one here is 42". But it's a different ride vehicle which could compensate for the difference (or it could be just because the one at CGA is in California). The CGA site does say that one is 40 feet.

Still, glad to see these coming to more parks. They are hella fun (as people in Northern California say).

Glad this park is getting something significant. First major improvement/addition since Renegade.

I've always personally thought that section of the park could use a bit more love. Had the standard CF concrete river theme. Nice to see management adding these family sections to their parks. SF could learn a thing or two here...

This reminds me a lot of the 2013 Boardwalk additions at Knott's, which was really a great improvement to that area.

The flyers seem to be really popular in the last few years, and their great rides for kids, the one at CGA always has a line, and is a perfect ride for younger kids, hopefully more will be built soon.

Glad this park is getting something significant. First major improvement/addition since Renegade.

Your forgetting the 2011 Camp Snoopy improvement to the kiddie area in 2011. They spent $11 million on the kids section which now looks great compared to the old dated kids area.

Edited by RCjunkie

The Whitewater Country transformation into Soak City (adding new bathrooms/changing rooms, food stands and wave pool)was also fairly significant as far as an investment goes.

I forgot about that. Your right, it was a significant investment with the Wave Pool but so easy to forget because that just brought the water park up to 'average' for a brief moment and now it is in need of another upgrade due to what other water parks have done in the last 3-5 years.

I wonder if the natives (locals) will get restless if they put in the waterpark expansion next year instead of going with a thrill ride? The changes the park has made over the past 6 or so years have all been well needed and has really made the park a lot nicer (brick paver walkways for a good portion of the park, new signage, repainting a lot of various building etc) and they've done a lot to make the park more family friendly after a decent five year run from 2003 to 2007 where 4 of the 5 years the park was adding to their thrill ride line up (Steel Venom, RipTide, Xtreme Swing, Skyscraper and Renegade). Tragically for the park though, RipTide's arrival didn't/doesn't generate a lot of enthusiasm after the first season, SkyScraper has since been relocated to Cedar Point, and Xtreme Swing, while well received, has had some off and on mechanical issues that has affected it's ability to stay open. So they've had some mixed results with a pretty good amount of investment that went into the park during this span (about $25 million). So I think for someone from the area it didn't feel like the constant stream of awesome that was intended.

Does the water park need some new attractions to put it up to par with other regional water parks? Absolutely. However, is the park due for a mid sized to large thrill ride as well? I think so. Would a new coaster be freaking awesome? Most certainly.

My biggest questions about Route 76 are: Why didn't they add a flyers? And what is going into Scrambler/Tilt-a-Whirl's old spots? And even with the new area, there's still a bunch of empty space between Enterprise's entrance and new scrambler location. And this may be just me, but I don't think that the RipCord will stay around much longer. I think that they may be removing the amphitheater and relocating/removing Enterprise to build a family coaster that could utilize the rest of the area including Wild Thing's other teardrop turnaround. I think Enterprise would be relocated to either Scrambler's old spot (though I see flyers going here), or remove Wheel of Fortune and place it there. As for Scrambler's old spot, I'd love to see a Zamperla Air Race.

Now the big question is what will be our 2015? Cedar Fair has basically said that one coaster will be replaced from each park within the next three years. Corkscrew will most likely be it for us. I see the Wave and Ferris Wheel leaving with it. Whatever replaces Corkscrew should use that crescent shaped lake better than our old Arrow looper.

2016 I see a waterpark expansion which will call for the removals of Looping Star(Viking)ship, Hydroblaster and the Imax theater. We could use some more thrill slides there and a kiddy area that is actually worth the space.

When Excalibur goes, I see a family launch coaster similar to the Premier Back Lot Stunt Tracks at KD, KF, and CW.

And last but not least, when Dinos go (I've heard that the lease expires in 2018, anyone know more concrete details?), we could add a small area with some flat rides, or (more likely), something similar to an Intamin Mega-Lite. Since that won't take up the entire area, how about a Huss Giant Frisbee?

Cedar Fair has basically said that one coaster will be replaced from each park within the next three years.

Where did you hear that?

Screamscape a year or two ago. I think it was on Kings Dominion's page. The Coaster Critic also copied it and wrote a bit on it http://www.thecoastercritic.com/2012/11/rumor-cedar-fair-remove-arrow-looping-coasters.html

I'm not going to complain about a lack of this.

Cedar Fair has basically said that one coaster will be replaced from each park within the next three years.

Where did you hear that?

Screamscape a year or two ago. I think it was on Kings Dominion's page. The Coaster Critic also copied it and wrote a bit on it http://www.thecoastercritic.com/2012/11/rumor-cedar-fair-remove-arrow-looping-coasters.html

I'm not going to complain about a lack of this.

What I took from that is that Cedar Fair is supposedly going to remove two of them in particular, and that Lance is just broadly applying that to mean that all arrows across the chain are doomed.

That's a very different thing than "Cedar Fair basically said __________"

Yes, it is reasonable to assume that someday, many of the arrow coasters standing today are not going to be around, but it's not like the chain made such a dramatic statement as what you're suggesting.

This looks like a better version of what Knott's got. To be fair, they probably have more space than Knott's. I didn't know Valleyfair had an Impulse coaster btw, it will look cool in the background of the new family area. And I agree that a Disko is not a coaster, unless your counting it as a powered coaster. None the less, it is a fun ride whether its a coaster or not.

I would not be surprised of VF gets a Windseeker some time in the future and it be placed in either the Scrambler or Tilt-a-whirl former location. That just seems to make sense. I'm still hoping that comes after a new Coaster though.

I would not be surprised of VF gets a Windseeker some time in the future and it be placed in either the Scrambler or Tilt-a-whirl former location. That just seems to make sense. I'm still hoping that comes after a new Coaster though.

The former Scrambler and Tilt-A-Whirl spots would be very tight fits, especially in the Tilt-A-Whirl spot with Wild Thing so close. If they were going to add a Windseeker my guess is they would use the spot that the now defunct ampitheather sits on because it has more space than the other two sites you mentioned. Let's also hope the park does not get one of these, it has more pressing needs like a water park addition and a new coaster. If the park is going to get a 300 ft. ride that meets the requirements of the near by Flying Cloud airport let's hope it's something much more fun like a Giga coaster. One can dream right?