TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I'm going to be going to this park around the first weekend of August, and I have a few questions. First, how rough (or not) are the park's two woodies? Also, what is the policy for bags and fanny packs?

Are there bins or any place to leave your stuff at the station on the coasters, and do they allow fanny packs to be worn on the rides? How crowded is the park normally on a weekend (I will be there either Friday or Saturday)? Finally, where can I get admission discounts for this park?

As mentioned, High Roller has a few minor rough spots but just sit in the middle seat of any car and not on a wheel spoke, this will help smooth out the ride for you. Renegade is a GCI that is 5 years old and runs great. It is a woody so it will throw you around a little but nothing to hurt you at all so enjoy. You may want to avoid the back seat though if your 'woody adverse'. Personally that is my favorite seat for Renegade. Watch out for Excalibur (our mutant mine train ride), it will be a jerky ride so watch the head and neck.

There are bins for all of the rides. Fanny packs are accepted on all of the coasters except Steel Venom sometimes, it depends on the ride ops running it at the time and if they notice it.

The park is more crowded on the weekends obviously but you do not need a Fast Pass unless you are pressed for time. You can probably ride all 8 coasters in about 4-5 hours on a weekend or Friday with a re-ride on at least one of them. You'll need more time to hit anything else in the park. Hit the Mad Mouse coaster first since it has the worst queue line due to trains that only seat 4 people which causes slow loading times. Hit Steel Venom on the way out because it is closest to the entrance/exit. If you want the best air on Wild Thing sit in the front car in any of the rows, first row being the best though. Hope this helps plan your visit. I usually go for a few hours every weekend so if you are out there on Saturday and need a guide drop me a PM.

I personally was shocked by how NOT painful Excalibur was. I was expecting several moments with bad transitions, but it never happened. It is only behind Thunderation at SDC (I haven't been on AE at KI so I can't compare) in my favorite Arrow Mine Train-type coasters. It's just a shame it's so short. They could have done 2 or 3 more hills and turns to make me happy.

I also have never experienced any roughness or pain on High Roller. The disappointment with that ride is the trim brake at the end of the 180 degree turnaround. It totally kills the ride's momentum and any air that might happen on the rest of the ride. But just like Excalibur, I was very pleasantly surprised by how much fun the ride was.

Renegade is an excellent ride. There isn't a single bad moment on the ride, just a slight vibration that I got a little annoyed with after a few rides. But if you've been on other GCI's you won't be disappointed. The first drop is terrific in its twist to the right and then the left. It was definitely my favorite coaster at Valleyfair.

• 2 weeks later...
I personally was shocked by how NOT painful Excalibur was. I was expecting several moments with bad transitions, but it never happened. It is only behind Thunderation at SDC (I haven't been on AE at KI so I can't compare) in my favorite Arrow Mine Train-type coasters. It's just a shame it's so short. They could have done 2 or 3 more hills and turns to make me happy.

I also have never experienced any roughness or pain on High Roller. The disappointment with that ride is the trim brake at the end of the 180 degree turnaround. It totally kills the ride's momentum and any air that might happen on the rest of the ride. But just like Excalibur, I was very pleasantly surprised by how much fun the ride was.

Renegade is an excellent ride. There isn't a single bad moment on the ride, just a slight vibration that I got a little annoyed with after a few rides. But if you've been on other GCI's you won't be disappointed. The first drop is terrific in its twist to the right and then the left. It was definitely my favorite coaster at Valleyfair.

I'm not really sure what Excalibur you've been riding!

That ride has it's good days and *really* bad days.

I rode Excalibur several times, both trains, on my trip to VF, and I enjoyed the ride. I don't know if I got lucky, if I had a different experience than you because I'm a big guy, or if you are unlucky to have had bad experiences on the ride. I was expecting at least a couple moments of mine train or Gemini helix pain, but had none.

Excalibur really isn't a rough ride. They only pain you'll have is if you sit in a wheel seat and don't brace yourself for the quick transitions.

It's not necessarily the most exciting ride out there, but I'm not so sure why people always call it rough. There are much worse arrows out there than Excalibur.

I say enough with the hate for arrows they do there jobs at the parks filling the roles lower level looper, family mine train, star attraction for some after all these years. Basically stop the hate its really old what's it been like 20 plus years of there dominance in the eyes of everyone being taken away and thouroghly soiling there rides reputation in many people's minds as being great attractions.

^Your opinion has been duly noted and logged, although it would've been easier to follow if you'd used proper punctuation and avoided run-on sentences.

Unfortuantely, many of the old Arrow loopers have not aged well, such as Anaconda at Kings Dominion and the now defunct Great American Scream Machine at Great Adventure. That being said, there are a number of good Arrow rides left. Tennessee Tornado at Dollywood is still great, and I am fond of the Loch Ness Monster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Much depends on how well parks maintain these old rides (for example, BGW takes quite a bit of pride in the Loch Ness Monster). Viper at Magic Mountain has also held up pretty well.

Excalibur is an interesting old Arrow, and hardly the worst of the bunch.

Excalibur really isn't a rough ride. They only pain you'll have is if you sit in a wheel seat and don't brace yourself for the quick transitions.

You are correct, it is not a rough ride but it is a jerky ride for your head and neck due to the quick transitions in the lopsided figure eight. This is why I think most people call it 'rough' when it is actually not. And yes, once you ride it a dozen times you figure out how to brace yourself for those quick transitions and it can be an OK or decent ride but definitely not a good one since you have to make that effort. Maybe if it was longer or had different train cars with a lower profile and center of gravity to handle the figure eight forces it could become a good ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Since KI is bringing back the B&M Invert, perhaps VF could get one of their own in the near future? I've always thought a B&M Invert would be the perfect addition to VF. Granted, I've been thinking this since Patriot came to WOF, which was back in 2006. But still there could be a chance.

Since KI is bringing back the B&M Invert, perhaps VF could get one of their own in the near future? I've always thought a B&M Invert would be the perfect addition to VF.

If it could be a Raptor clone or better I totally agree with you. Since we see B&M making an invert again it is possible. It would fit in great at the park and provide the park with a marketable new coaster that has inversions which has not happened to the park since 1980 when Corkscrew was added.

Since KI is bringing back the B&M Invert, perhaps VF could get one of their own in the near future? I've always thought a B&M Invert would be the perfect addition to VF.

If it could be a Raptor clone or better I totally agree with you. Since we see B&M making an invert again it is possible. It would fit in great at the park and provide the park with a marketable new coaster that has inversions which has not happened to the park since 1980 when Corkscrew was added.

Yes it would! I didnt even give thought to the fact that there is only one coaster in the park with inversions! That makes the need for it even more! Even if VF does not get a new coaster of any kind for 2014 I do hope CF gives them something worthwhile. VF, MA, and WOF are all three pretty abandoned by corporate, and its time for a turn around.

• 2 weeks later...
Went to VF today and Steel Venom was not running. Talked to three ride operators on different rides and they did not know why and/or did not want to tell me so I never found out why. Anyone on here know anything?

I've noticed it goes down sporadically late season, commonly for maintenance purposes.

Anybody hear when VF is going to do their 2014 announcement?

That silence you hear is a lack of an announcement this year. Looks like another year of 'general improvements' for the park in 2014. For the last 2 seasons and now 2014 the only attraction they have added are the Dino's. Ouch! But then again, VF is second to last in revenue for the Cedar Fair chain so the park can never expect to get a new addition or attraction every other year like the bigger parks of the company. We'll see if the off season brings any removals like the old amphitheater that has not been on the park map the last 2 years or something else to indicate an addition in the future. They know they will need to add something if they want to keep attendance growing. VF may be the red headed step child of Cedar Fair but at least they have not treated us as bad as MA......yet.

TBH, a B&M invert would be pretty outdated whenever it is installed. I'd welcome it like I would anything else new, but I would much prefer any other type of B&M.

I've always really wanted to see a Giant Inverted Boomerang on the amphitheater site. I've always heard better things about GIBs than most B&M Inverts. At least a GIB looks like it'd be better than Silver Bullet at Knotts or Patriot at WoF. I think it would look really cool there standing among Wild Thing and Steel Venom.

I'm not sure you've ever been on an inverted coaster in your life.

I know its a long shot, but I'd prefer to see VF recieve a coater a little larger in scale than a GIB. I feel they are LONG over due for something like that. Also, IMO Silver Bullet was quite enjoyable, and personally I love Patriot! Its my second fave B&M Invert (number one is Montu). Again, I know its a long shot.

Also, simply to avoid a double post, anyone feel VF will recieve a Windseeker...Steelhawk, or whatever it would be named anytime in the future?

Anybody hear when VF is going to do their 2014 announcement?

That silence you hear is a lack of an announcement this year. Looks like another year of 'general improvements' for the park in 2014. For the last 2 seasons and now 2014 the only attraction they have added are the Dino's. Ouch! But then again, VF is second to last in revenue for the Cedar Fair chain so the park can never expect to get a new addition or attraction every other year like the bigger parks of the company. We'll see if the off season brings any removals like the old amphitheater that has not been on the park map the last 2 years or something else to indicate an addition in the future. They know they will need to add something if they want to keep attendance growing. VF may be the red headed step child of Cedar Fair but at least they have not treated us as bad as MA......yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if something was added to the waterpark this year. In the Q3 Conference Call, Mr. Ouimet stated the focus would be on family additions & waterpark expansions (aside from KI's coaster and the dark ride). He pretty much pointed out that most parks would see something. Michigan's Adventure didn't make their announcement until December of last year.

The thing with Michigan's Adventure is, Thunderhawk was pretty much a homerun for the park. The park started breaking attendance records that year and it has been increasing every year since. There obviously isn't a need for a large scale addition or anything until that attendance starts to slip. Don't fix what ain't broke. Now, obviously Michigan's Adventure doesn't turn the largest profits, but profit margin wise, it has one of the largest in the chain (as pointed out in the FunForward presentation last year). If Michigan's Adventure could add the Lakeside Gliders and beer garden (with an announcement in December), something could happen for VF. However, even general improvements are a plus in my opinion. Has Valleyfair's attendance been pretty good as well? Also, when does VF usually do announcements? The last few announcements I remember from MiA (the smallest park in the chain) have been in the October-December timeframe. I'm not saying there will be an announcement obviously, but I'm just saying it's still possible. I read after the DA announcement that there were 2014 plans, but they weren't for a new ride. It may not even warrant an announcement necessarily. Who knows...

Aside from business, as Robb says, crazy things have happened in this industry. Anything can be unpredictable

I know its a long shot, but I'd prefer to see VF recieve a coater a little larger in scale than a GIB. I feel they are LONG over due for something like that. Also, IMO Silver Bullet was quite enjoyable, and personally I love Patriot! Its my second fave B&M Invert (number one is Montu). Again, I know its a long shot.

Also, simply to avoid a double post, anyone feel VF will recieve a Windseeker...Steelhawk, or whatever it would be named anytime in the future?

I used to think so, but I've heard that the close proximity of the airport could hinder that. It may have to be a shorter model but it isn't entirely impossible. It all depends on the FAA.

Probably not. There is a 300 ft. height restriction on the park due to the near by public Flying Cloud Airport. It is why the S&S Power Tower at VF is only 275 feet tall instead of 300 like at the other Cedar Fair parks that have the same style drop tower. They could alter the height and put one in I'm sure if they wanted but this park needs other attractions before a swing tower like that in my opinion. But I certainly wouldn't mind the views it would provide over looking the river valley if they did put one in.

I wouldn't be surprised if something was added to the waterpark this year. In the Q3 Conference Call, Mr. Ouimet stated the focus would be on family additions & waterpark expansions (aside from KI's coaster and the dark ride). He pretty much pointed out that most parks would see something. Michigan's Adventure didn't make their announcement until December of last year.

However, even general improvements are a plus in my opinion. Has Valleyfair's attendance been pretty good as well? Also, when does VF usually do announcements? The last few announcements I remember from MiA (the smallest park in the chain) have been in the October-December timeframe. I'm not saying there will be an announcement obviously, but I'm just saying it's still possible. I read after the DA announcement that there were 2014 plans, but they weren't for a new ride. It may not even warrant an announcement necessarily. Who knows...

Aside from business, as Robb says, crazy things have happened in this industry. Anything can be unpredictable

Good to hear MiA did not make their announcement until December last year so there is some hope then. Usually VF has made their announcements by Labor Day. Good to hear about the Q3 call with CEO Quimet. A water park expansion is exactly what this park needs next. Ever since the Camp Snoopy addition in 2011 crowds, especially families, have increased at the park and the water park is always packed on a nice day now. With local cities adding water parks that have wave runners and slides VF needs to step up to stay ahead and keep the crowds coming. Something like WOF got last year for their water park or what Dorney Park will receive this year would be nice.

"....Aside from business, as Robb says, crazy things have happened in this industry. Anything can be unpredictable..." The mantra of anyone who has a home park with no new announcements for the next year.

Probably not. There is a 300 ft. height restriction on the park due to the near by public Flying Cloud Airport. It is why the S&S Power Tower at VF is only 275 feet tall instead of 300 like at the other Cedar Fair parks that have the same style drop tower. They could alter the height and put one in I'm sure if they wanted but this park needs other attractions before a swing tower like that in my opinion. But I certainly wouldn't mind the views it would provide over looking the river valley if they did put one in.

I agree with you that I doubt a Windseeker is in the park's future, and I was surprised when I saw Worlds announce it for next year. However, as far as the height restriction goes, the park can build higher provided it build in a different section of the property. If you drive to Flying Cloud Airport and look at the runway you'll see that Power Tower aligns pretty much dead on with it.

Hey VF fans i found a real treat, a pov on Excalibur from 1999 with pure Arrow Track but alas no insane bunny hill... Regardless check out the authors channel he has a huge collection of coasters from around the world with many defunct rides from the 90s!

Edited by LoopScreweD