TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

^I agree with you mostly, but I honestly think Valleyfair could use something along the lines of an SLC (Keep in mind the park already has the fantastic Impulse Steel Venom). I know it wouldn't be too good of a coaster, but it's just what the park needs: An inverting looping coaster. The waterpark is a bit lackluster, but it's in no need for a true expansion. The admission is included and it has a great selection of rides for such a small area. I happened to really like the movie theater, but if anything gets taken out to put a new slide or two in, I'd say it be better to take out the inverting pirate ship. That was probably the only bad experience of my last visit, besides Excalibur.

Or just take out the pirate ship altogether and replace it with a better flat ride.

I'm just wondering how much does a new style vekoma slc (eg. battlestar) cost

compared to thier old slc, or a B&M?

More than an old SLC and less than a B&M.

Obviously, but closer to which side?

Or do you know the exact number for that particular one?

Since when has Cedar Fair purchased a Vekoma SLC.. Never? Yeah I don't think it will happen. Remember, Cedar Fair takes pride in their investments and they want attractions that are proven to work and provide a good ride experience. I will just say right now that a SLC will not happen. It’s just something Cedar Fair does not do. The only time they have done anything with a Vekoma coaster is moved them from location to location which is just fine to do.

So lets just stop all this silly SLC talk since it won’t happen. We all know a B&M has been on the drawing boards for years but keeps getting pushed back for many reasons.

Waterpark expansion is one area I think we need to focus on a little more. It’s time to completely re-think the current waterpark to make it better. There is plenty of potential there.

Since when has Cedar Fair purchased a Vekoma SLC.. Never? Yeah I don't think it will happen. Remember, Cedar Fair takes pride in their investments and they want attractions that are proven to work and provide a good ride experience. I will just say right now that a SLC will not happen. It’s just something Cedar Fair does not do. The only time they have done anything with a Vekoma coaster is moved them from location to location which is just fine to do.

So lets just stop all this silly SLC talk since it won’t happen. We all know a B&M has been on the drawing boards for years but keeps getting pushed back for many reasons.

Waterpark expansion is one area I think we need to focus on a little more. It’s time to completely re-think the current waterpark to make it better. There is plenty of potential there.

I think that the park could leave the wave pool and gut the rest of the water park and start over. I have always thought that the water park didn't flow (no pun intended ) and have wasted space. Now that the catering is being moved they can take out that building and add more water park.

I think that the park could leave the wave pool and gut the rest of the water park and start over. I have always thought that the water park didn't flow (no pun intended ) and have wasted space. Now that the catering is being moved they can take out that building and add more water park.

That is exactly what I would like to see. Though the cost of doing that is definitely not in the budget. I could see it being a multi-year project. I think we could definitely see something happen to IMAX and Looping in the next few years though to start.

This is a bit random but I've always thought a great coaster for Valleyfair would be a clone of CGA's Flight Deck. It's a small, but intense B&M invert, can't be that expensive in relation to bigger B&M's, and it's better than an SLC. I don't know if it can be cloned, but I have just always thought it would be a cool fit.

I have a feeling the next thing Valleyfair will be seeing is the removal of the Imax. Compared to other park's of today the technology and setup of the theater is far outdated. And they've had issues w/the projector in the past. Removing it would make way for a good chunk of land for the waterpark.

Valleyfair has a couple holes in it, some things I think would be good for the park.

1. An invert, anything would be great. Hell I would even be happy with a Boomerang or something Maverickesq

2. A water park expansion, the park is seriously lacking this. True it has a water park but it is dated and could use an expansion.

3. Another decent flat ride, maybe a Giant Frisbee or something along those lines.

What do you mean, "would even be happy" with a Maverickesque?!?! Even a cheaper knock-off would kill! Then again, there's the space issue... Blitzes are quite spread out.

• 1 month later...
^Looks like a nice upgrade over the older ones from the picnic pavilion. I’m still curious what the plan is with the Clubhouse...

Well Clubhouse will not be used for the 2013 season for anything that I know of. There was talk about it becoming an area for Employees to go on break in for Area 1 but not sure if that will be put into place or not.

This is a bit random but I've always thought a great coaster for Valleyfair would be a clone of CGA's Flight Deck. It's a small, but intense B&M invert, can't be that expensive in relation to bigger B&M's, and it's better than an SLC. I don't know if it can be cloned, but I have just always thought it would be a cool fit.

I never thought of this before! Both VF and CGA are owned by Cedar Fair, so it wouldn't be impossible. Even I admit that VF needs a true invert; Steel Venom isn't going to cut it for much longer.

I always thought that VF could use an SLC, but I'm definitely going to add this to my speculations.

And about the waterpark expansion (even though IMHO I don't think they even need one; a simple flat or two could take the place of Starship and the theater), I know it's got a high chance of happening, but nobody has seemed to make any predictions of what the expansion is going to consist of.

Throwing out a possible scenario for the moment, here's what I think is going to happen:

If the theater gets removed and Starship doesn't, I could easily see a tower of 2-3 tube slides opening up like the ones above.

Pictured is the tube slide complex in Big Surf in Tempe, AZ.

If both the theater and Starship are removed, I could see not only the tube slide tower being added, but I could also see a much improved kids area being installed, like the ones at Knott's and Cedar Point's Soak City parks.

If not one this size, at least one a little bit smaller.

Pictured is the children's slide complex at Knott's Soak City.

Went to opening day at VF, high winds prevented most of the coasters from opening on time but Power Tower was running right away.

Second ride on Wild Thing was the best ride I have had on it in years, front seat and got fantastic floater air over the first hills which is to be expected but also floater over all the bunny hills on the back side, I can't remember if I have ever had if time on the bunny hills.

Excalibur was running with no trims on and made for the best ride I have had on it in a long time.

High Roller on the other hand was a very rough ride, first car back seat and it was pretty rough.

Second ride on Wild Thing was the best ride I have had on it in years, front seat and got fantastic floater air over the first hills which is to be expected but also floater over all the bunny hills on the back side, I can't remember if I have ever had if time on the bunny hills.

Excalibur was running with no trims on and made for the best ride I have had on it in a long time.

High Roller on the other hand was a very rough ride, first car back seat and it was pretty rough.

Same for me on Saturday and when I went last night. (Got stuck on Wild Thing's lift hill for a couple of minutes last night ). They definitely have adjusted the mid brake allowing for more speed coming back and allowing air on the bunny hills for the first time since the wheel came off a train in 2005. Digging it.

I rode High Roller on Saturday in the last car middle seat and had a good ride. When I do have bad rides it seems I am in the back seat of any of the High Roller cars, don't know why that is so you may want to try again.

Thanks for the information on Excalibur. I may have to try next time, I usually do not ride it until late in the season just to see how it still runs.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to be going to this park around the first weekend of August, and I have a few questions. First, how rough (or not) are the park's two woodies? Also, what is the policy for bags and fanny packs?

Are there bins or any place to leave your stuff at the station on the coasters, and do they allow fanny packs to be worn on the rides? How crowded is the park normally on a weekend (I will be there either Friday or Saturday)? Finally, where can I get admission discounts for this park?

I'll try and answer a few of these.

Woodies - Renegade will toss you around but I do not think it is rough. High Roller has a couple spots, but nothing bad.

Bins - Yes, most rides have bins where you can put your bags, souvenir cups, etc.

Tickets - The Valleyfair website has tickets for $29.99 July 29 - August 18 as part of Pink Days.