TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America - Typhoon SeaCoaster CLOSED?!?!

I just read this on Screamscape:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_america.htm

Park News - (8/7/06) A Screamscape reader reports that not only has the Typhoon SeaCoaster been reported as being closed for most (if not all) of the past few weeks, but this weekend they had the station boarded up as well. No word yet on if they are closing the ride for the rest of the season, but we’ve heard reports from Darien Lake where they have apparently closed a coaster and their rapids ride for the rest of the season. Anyone know more?

There are photos if you follow the link above.

What's going on with this?!?!

--Robb

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much of a rumor. Six Flags posted it in a news release a couple days ago. There are some other rides listed at various parks but none of them are much of a surprise.

Basically, if a ride takes more than four or five people to operate (Rapids, etc) don't count on it being open at their marginally successful parks.

If it were any attraction *other* than Typhoon Sea Coaster I might be shocked, but this ride is closed way more than it's ever open!

I agree with that 100%. plus these type rides are VERY expensive to operate from a mechanical standpoint too. I think I have seen maybe 1 TR in all my years that said it was open when it is open it is from 2-4 or something crazy like that.

JEFF

The panels in the doors and windows look like they've been used before... Perhaps the park's normal winterization procedure to seal up this ride's station as depicted in the photos. Such a move would indicate the ride is closed for the season, but not necessarily forever.

Of course, with a ride as needlessly complex and troublesome as Typhoon Sea Coaster, it wouldn't surprise me if they elected to rid themselves of it... Or at least modify it so that the turntables are no longer part of the experience.

"Wheeee!!! THUD." (The sounds of TSC.)

Yeah, in about 20 or so visits to SFA over the year, I've managed to get one ride on the TSC, and I've seen it running about three times. Pretty much every time I've been there, the ride has shown zero signs of even being opened that day. I think between the number of people that are required to run the ride, and how often the thing breaks down, it's just a ride that the park management is not going to make a real effort to keep this attraction open.

dt