TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Considering where I love, I almost *have* to drive 3-4 hours just to ride decent coasters.

Today I drove 3 hours each way to Birmingham to visit Alabama Adventures, just to ride coasters.

For my birthday in July, my mom and I drove 5 hours each way to visit Carowinds, just to ride coasters.

In May, I drove 3 hours each way to Holiday World, just to ride coasters.

In April, I drove 4 hours each way to SFoG just to ride Goliath.

And last year, I went from Nashville to Toronto and back, yes, you guessed it, just to ride coasters!

But I love taking road trips, so driving 3-4 hours is nothing to me. Hence the screen name!

-Julie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have travelled about 300 miles a few times to visit Tusenfryd, since its the closest park with exciting rides. A few weeks ago I travelled twice the distance to visit Gröna Lund, although we stopped by Tusenfryd on the way home.

Fortunately flight tickets are rather cheap these days......

The longest we've ever gone to specifically ride coasters was about a 9 hour drive to Cedar Point for CoasterMania a few years ago. Nothing is really too far for us, I guess. But usually when we plan a trip, we try to make it involve much more than just coasters.

Scott "it's really more about too expensive than too far" B.

While I have driven large distances solely for coaster riding (Atlanta to Holiday World most recently), I have also taken some nice long walks for coasters. A few weeks ago I walked 6+ miles from the Portland Convention Center down to Oaks Park, rode the Looping Star and Kiddie coasters, ate a couple of corndogs then walked back downtown on the wonderful walk/bike paths by the river. I have also walked from downtown Denver (15th Street area) to Elitch Gardens (short walk with a BrewPub on the return leg) and out to Lakeside and back (longer walk 1.5-2hrs through mostly nice neighborhoods). The only walk I would not repeat was from my Ft. Lauderdale hotel down to Dania Beach--passing by the airport wasteland and a rough neighborhood near Boomer's.

On our vacation this year, we drove for a little under 48 hours total.

I drove (well, rode) 11 hours from Muskegon, MI (MIA) to Gettysburg, PA (two hours from Dorney). Also, I've done the 10-hour trip to Des Moines from Sandusky.

If it's much further than 10 hours with no major stops on the way, I'd rather fly, but I'm alright up until then.

Wow, you are brave. I'm curious which hotel you walked from?

Brave!? More like a combination of stupidity and ignorance with a helping of overly PC bellman on top. I was at the Embassy Suites on the 17th St. Causeway. I mentioned to the bellman that I was going to walk down to Boomer's in Dania Beach and he started saying "Oh no! That's way too far to walk...let me call you a cab." What I didn't know at the time was that that was code for "Good God man are you crazy!"

What looked like "a straight shot down Hwy 1 to Dania Beach and then hang a right" became a bit more of an adventure. Hwy 1 starts off as a nice 4-5 lane road with sidewalks. Then as you approach the airport, suddenly the sidewalk ends and the road is a limited access highway. I detoured around that and should have known that it would be rather deserted (If anything bad had happened, I probably could have lain on the side of the road for days before someone noticed). Then once I reached Dania Beach I had to walk through a pretty rough looking neigborhood that was "way too far away" from my hotel.

Boomers itself was fine and the coaster was well worth the trip.

Needless to say, I called a cab for the return trip. After the cab got poached the first time he came to get me, I casually mentioned to the driver that I had walked down there and he said "Oh No!! You don't need to be walking in this neighborhood!" Finally...some good advice, just a couple of hours too late.

^ Yeah, I used to live about 2 minutes from that hotel, just over the bridge near the beach. That's why I was so amazed when you said you actually walked from Lauderdale! Come to think of it, I'm still amazed. Anyway, glad you enjoyed the DBH. In the end, it does lessen the pain a bit after a trek like that.

I probably would drive no more then 7 hours for a coaster. I have done that going to Vegas and there was gambling besides the coasters. It was a joint trip. Anything longer then 6 or 7 hours and I would fly. I have flown on weeks notice to Houston last year when I heard that Astroworld was closing. I have taken two 11 hour flights soley for coasters, one to Japan and one to the UK.

Wow, you are brave. I'm curious which hotel you walked from?

Brave!? More like a combination of stupidity and ignorance with a helping of overly PC bellman on top. I was at the Embassy Suites on the 17th St. Causeway. I mentioned to the bellman that I was going to walk down to Boomer's in Dania Beach and he started saying "Oh no! That's way too far to walk...let me call you a cab." What I didn't know at the time was that that was code for "Good God man are you crazy!"

What looked like "a straight shot down Hwy 1 to Dania Beach and then hang a right" became a bit more of an adventure. Hwy 1 starts off as a nice 4-5 lane road with sidewalks. Then as you approach the airport, suddenly the sidewalk ends and the road is a limited access highway. I detoured around that and should have known that it would be rather deserted (If anything bad had happened, I probably could have lain on the side of the road for days before someone noticed). Then once I reached Dania Beach I had to walk through a pretty rough looking neigborhood that was "way too far away" from my hotel.

Boomers itself was fine and the coaster was well worth the trip.

Needless to say, I called a cab for the return trip. After the cab got poached the first time he came to get me, I casually mentioned to the driver that I had walked down there and he said "Oh No!! You don't need to be walking in this neighborhood!" Finally...some good advice, just a couple of hours too late.

Should've listened to the bellman, quite a long way and definitely not walking friendly.I just checked mapquest and that's a 4.90 mile walk, but you know what if it was me I would've done the same, it is a pretty good coaster!!! Did you get the $10 ride all day deal?

The longest for me was some 13-14 hours too on and off too Cedar Point. On and off because my mother has family in ohio, so we usually drive down there every few years too see them, soowe didn't drive directly from our house too CP. The longest trip just for a park or coaster was this year when my family drove down too SFGAdv for my birthday. It was supposedly a 4 & 1/2 hour drive, but it took 7 hours thanks mainly to traffic in NYC . The coasters where worth it though

I went from Boston to Williamsburg which was about a 10 hour train ride (Driving would be WAY shorter) and I went to BGE that night just to ride some coasters (Which I didn't:( I did go the next 2 days though to get my credits). I might go to Holiday Park and Europa Park next year so I'll be willing to travel 31/2 thousand miles just to ride a coaster.

It depends. I'd drive just about anywhere for a good multi-park trip. If it's just for one park, probably a lot less.

The farthest I've driven for one park (not doing anything else on the trip) was from Bloomington, IN to Six Flags Over Georgia. About an 8 hour drive.

The farthest I've driven period for a park was from Sandusky, OH to Six Flags Over Texas. However, the main reason I went there was for an Indycar race. Without the race, I wouldn't have driven down there.

Closest is Great Adventure (yes, that means I live in New Jersey), which I only went to twice so far, and wasn't very good.

Then I took the 8 hour drive (no breaks) to Cedar Point, which was certainly worth it.

I'll probably do anything within the United States driving or flying, but Europe is too far for now...

I'll happily travel any distance as long as there is a coaster fix at the end of it and I'll often take six or nine hour round trips in the UK to visit Alton Towers, Blackpool or Oakwood.

The longest distance I've gone so far is a 12 hour flight (six and a half thousand miles) from London to Kuala Lumpur to ride Supersonic Odyssey at Cosmos World

I am late 1,30 h in coming to the themepark of madrid, but, if it could, me would go up to SFMM, or SFGA .... without forgetting CP.

And here in Europe, I would go away to Alton Tower ... at approximately 28 hours in car.