TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm willing to drive as far as I can afford to, same as traveling. Of course, I'm a little limited on options, as the closest parks to me are CP and PKI, and HW is over 4 hours away. So basically, any other park is a full day of traveling just to get there. And only being 17 doesn't help.

How far are you willing to DRIVE to ride a roller-coaster?

Next Summer we're doing a drive from Houston -> Dallas (SFoT) -> Hot Springs (Magic Springs) -> Chattanooga (Lake Winnie) -> Gatlinburg (Dollywood) -> Atlanta (SFoG) -> Birmingham (maybe Visionland...) -> Houston.

Of course, my wife's entire family is spending a week in Gatlinburg and it is the primary motivation for us to go, but we decided to make it a bit more interesting along the way. That's about the limit of where I'd drive to in order to do a coaster. Fly? Anywhere, so long as it is reasonably safe. I think Dubailand may be really nice if it pans out as planned, and also several new places in China are coming along nicely. In the short-term, I'm thinking a few places in Europe 2008, perhaps even the Scandinavian trip as well.

Matt

I flew from ireland on a 10 hour flight to ride X! (also to spend 3 weeks with my mates in L.A.

Also we have like 3 coasters here 2 Apple/worm coasters and a Pinfari /Zl42 which is 3 hours away!Since it's all we got i drive up there occasionally to stop me detoxing off coasters

I think it all depends on the magnitude of whats there. Like for example, from Dallas, TX I'd drive 12 hours for Cedar Point or Holiday World, but not 8 hours for Elitch Gardens or Six Flags New Orleans (well, definately not SFNO anymore).. It all depends on the park for me.

You know its the funniest thing, I forgot to put how far I was willing to travel to get to a roller coaster! Well the longest distance I have ever gone to ride a roller coaster was from Arkansas to New Jesery to ride Kingda Ka. It was a great trip! But I willing to go travel any distance for a roller coaster ride!

Yeah so this is my first post, even tho I've been stalking on here for like a year!

My boyfriend and I drove from Miami to SFOG last Saturday just for the hell of it and then drove straight back and soon (as soon as I convince him) we are taking a road trip up the east coast just to visit theme parks.

I'd say 12 hours is about the limit I'd be willing to drive, but my Dad would say Cedar Point is as far as he will go, which is around 6 hours. The reason I'm guessing is that he has a 'bad back' as he likes to say, I think it's a form of MS, but not very serious, he had to go to the hospital and everything, it was a long time ago.

I drove from Toronto to Florida last August. We stopped at a bunch of parks on the way there, but had two days of just driving on the way back. Was completely worth it. The longest I've driven in one day was 12 hours, although driving from Toronto to SFGam in June was a close second with 11.5 hours.

Thus far, the longest I have driven 3 1/2 hours strictly for an amusement park. I had a trip planned to go about 5, but that was squashed. However, I am willing to drive a long distance to get to a few parks. I would go 8-12 hours as long as there is a decent hotel waiting for me. The longest I would go in one day would have to be 4 hours each way.

14 hours straight to get to Turner, Oregon. Technically it was for a wedding in a little town just south, but for "that's insane" purposes I'll say it was to get three credits.

Interesting note: Thrill-ville USA has a SCAD drop tower, which is probably the scariest ride ever. You hang there, waiting, and suddenly FWOOSH neeeeeerrrrrrrrrr flump. They should have more of these. They also need to use the seat thing on more rides, it's really neat and comfortable. The one they used was made out of plastic with lots of cushioning, and this metal thing that holds your legs and grip bars for your hands.

The farthest I have travelled has been from LA to Cedar Point. But I admit the trip was for other reasons, just happened to be close enough to make a stop at the park worthwhile.

The original question is somewhat quirky to answer. I could probably travel to japan or europe to ride a coaster but then be broke when I got back . The farthest I would drive with the sole purpose to ride a coaster maybe 8 hours (including stops). And only if its a flippin awesome ride.

I'd travel to Mars if they had the best coaster ever built there. What's 3 months on a spaceship when you have the greatest coaster ever waiting for you when you arrive! Seriously, the farthest I've gone JUST to ride a coaster would be Cincinnati to LA for Tatsu. The farthest drive would be only to Dollywood from Cincinnati for Thunderhead, then drove back the same day. 12 hours of driving (6 there, 6 back) for one of the best woodies out there.

-James Dillaman

I have flown to both Japan and Australia (for work) but I rode coasters while I was there.

As far as driving, I drove from Roanoke, VA to Six Flags America (about 3 1/2 hours) just to ride Superman since that was the one credit I did not have. I ended up spending about an hour in the park and then drove back. So 7 hours in the car for 4 rides on Superman.

I also did a whirlwind tour when I lived in NYC in 1998. I drove from Allentown to Lancaster to ride Sky Princess. Then over to Mechanicsburg for the Cyclone, and finally to Clementon, NJ for the Jack Rabbit and back to NYC. Total miles that day: 338 miles. And that's not counting the 2 hours I got lost trying to find Williams Grove!

Right now my parents will only let me drive one hour away. I'm hoping that I can drive atleast 3 or 4 hours by the next coaster season. That should get me to Holiday World or Cedar Point

But yeah, I'd drive anywhere to ride a coaster...

I've done trips to Cedar Point, Chicago, and the Mid-Atlantic. No distance is really too far for me, I dig road trips.

I've flown a couple times exclusively for parks, ie Magic Mountain and El Toro.

I've day-tripped Orlando a few times.

Nothing is really "too much" as of now.

Nothing is really too much for me either, but I just can't stand doing it alone. That is something that I never expected myself to say EVER. Talk about a change in personality within the past year! If I were to make a long road trip, I would need some company.

Jay "Progress" Willis