TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

iPod Help! I Need It!

Ryan King

Well Apple only gives me 1 service call and thats it! Ive already used that one call. So Now I must resort to you guys! Yay! Heres my problem-:

I bought my iPod at Target about a year ago. That return policy has expired... So NOW I must work with this one. I have a Black Video iPod and for some ODD reason, which I use the cord and connect it to my computer, it charges, but my computer cant seem to find the device. So in other words it wont bring it up on iTunes or in My Computer. As I said it charges but wont detect it in iTunes or I was hoping to restore it to factory settings but it couldnt find it there either! GAWD! Any Thoughts!?! Please Help!

-Ryan

P.S. Pound It!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem with my Ipod Nano. The first few months it worked fine, then just a few days ago, my computer couldn't detect it. So I un-installed Itunes and all that other ipod/apple junk...restarted my computer, re-installed the program and tried again...Nope...no such luck. So I sent it to apple with my reciept. They said that my Ipod nano USB had a loose piece on the inside.

I'd say to buy a new one, but these things are highly expensive which is why I bought an IPod Nano after my Video Ipod went bye-bye on I-52.

This is exactly what has happened to my ipod several times! My brother usually fixes it, but I think what he does is he re-installs a program that I think is called Ipod Installer (something like that)...he restarts the computer and tries to update. It usually works, but when it doesn't, we just go to the Apple store (we make an appointment at the 'smart bar') and see what they can do.

Apple has come under much criticism over this issue and there are lawsuits that are going to be thrown at them (if not already). They have decided to go into the unethical practice of giving a 1-year warrenty on something that is basically manufactured to work for a year and then crap out. I'm not sure, as mentioned, if there have been formal lawsuits filled or not, but from the last I knew they were under intense investigation.

^ Oh pleeeeeeeeeeeeease. iPods last longer than a year. Where do you people get this crap from?

You're right. My wife saw a report on ABC that said they're made to last four years!

The Apple rep. was misquoted. She said iPods last FOR years not four (4) years. I've had my iPod since 2003 and it still works great!

As for service, Apple gives 90 days for phone calls (iPods are limited to 1 call), and 1 year for hardware support, unless you buy AppleCare which extends both services to 3 years (2 years on iPods). Dell and HP also only have 1 year warranties on their PC's and you can buy a 2 or 3 year extension for about the same price as AppleCare is. Every time I have called for support or went into the store, everyone was very friendly. Just Remember, online support is still free. This link should solve your problem-> docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61711.

I have to say that I am a huge advocate of macs. I have an iBook, an iPod, and all of my future computer purchases will be macs. However, I have had many iPod problems as have my friends. They just seem to be too fragile to endure the bumps from every day "portable" use.

Good luck with yours. The instructions the first poster posted seem like they'll work. I suffered a similar problem at one point with my 3G iPod (now deceased).

^ Oh pleeeeeeeeeeeeease. iPods last longer than a year. Where do you people get this crap from?

I can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not, as it is always hard to tell with you, but I will go with that comment being serious.

I get this stuff from class action lawsuits being filed for the past 3 years regarding the life of the batteries within the iPod. It is suggested that Apple misrepresents the capabilities of the batteries when they are bought, makes it hard for the batteries to be replaced by the consumer, grants a one year warrenty with the previous knowledge of the misrepresented batteries, offer below satisfactory suport service, and then basically says "If you want an iPod, then buy another one". A one year warrenty is good an all, but the problem lies in that Apple might be doing that kind of thing purposly, which is highly unethical.

^ The battery issue is different from what you implied in your first post, which is that somehow Apple intentionally designs iPods to break after one year. I've had two iPods now, the original which lasted me three years (with much abuse from me) without problem, and the second which is going on a year and a half with no problems.

I think the people who are satisfied with their iPod far exceed those who have problems, but you usually never hear news reports from people who are happy, only those who somehow got a defective one. With the millions of iPods that get sold, of course you are going to have a few bad apples (lol i made a pun).

Apple makes a ok computer

but Alien Ware and Dell and some of the best computers of everyday use

i had a dell for 3 years and have problems. Now iI have a Alien Ware and it is

perfect.

Also you should have a fact internet connect, then you whan have a problem

with itunes.

i have a 60GB black video iPod and it run great with my computer

Try to reset the iPod first.

Does it work outside of iTunes, can you listen to music on it?

If you can, first press the center button and the menu button at the same time and hold them for about 3 seconds. The ipod will turn off completely, then turn back on.

If this dosnt fix the problem, there is another thing you can do.

I dont recomend this if you havent handled computer parts or the like before...Open up the iPod (I use a guitar pick to take the face plate off...fingernails work too) Find the battery (Its mounted to the metal backing) Follow the cable that comes from it and remove it from the main board on the faceplate section of the iPod. This resets EVERYTHING but the hard drive contents, so you will have to reset your clock also.

I've done this a few times and it works very well. Good luck!

Now my Ipod is broken again! My computer doesn't recognize it (it doesn't update)...I need to get my brother to fix it...I am really getting sick of getting my Ipod fixed every month.

Is the ipod giving you a sad ipod face when you try to manually restart it? If so, drop it on a carpeted surface. That helps my Ipod get working again.