TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Robb, What Kind Of Video Camera Do You Use?

mejaybe

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Usuially not much more then 1mp. If you search around for reviews, it usuially tells you if the camera is photo ready and what quality of pictures it takes. My HC42 takes 1mp pictures, which actuially turn out very well!

Colin C

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, anything that compresses video in the camera before you can even put it on your computer is not a good idea.

Tape is still the best way at the moment.

Since this thread was brought back to life, this is the first time I've seen this.

For the record: all tape based formats are also compressed. Just not as bad.

DV is actually compressed at 25mb/sec.

You mean "minidv" right?

I wonder how much dvc-pro is compressed? OR hd?

I have a Sony DCR-VX2100...has been great but is now getting a bit too "consumerish" for me. Next one I get will probably be the Canon HL1 (http://www.canon.com.au/products/visual/cameras/cameras_video/xlh1.html). If only it didnt have the $13,999 price tag I would have it now!

It is miniDV that is compredd to about 25mb/sec, not sure about dvc-pro, but HDV is compressed to about the same as miniDV, but (usually) gets decompressed to some degree as soon as you import it into you computer.

Jacob "I love my FCP" P-B

• 3 weeks later...

DV, miniDV, DVCAM, and DVCPRO are all the same format. They just have different size tapes and manufacturing methods (DVCAM and DVCPRO are designed to be more durable). But they all share the same 25mb/sec codec.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine is a Panasonic GS400. Really happy with it as it has great image quality, three directional zoom mics, manual focus settings and plenty of other bits'n' bobs. The 500 model which has come out apparently doesn't offer the same focus control so I'm glad I got the one I did.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The things I want in a camera:

-able to upload it onto a computer that does not have the ability to play DVDs

-of good quality

-durable

-used for both POV's and off-ride footage

-below $800

If you guys could give me a good suggestion for a camera that meets these guidlines, that would be great.

Brent "would really like a video camera" Shenton

• 3 weeks later...
DV, miniDV, DVCAM, and DVCPRO are all the same format. They just have different size tapes and manufacturing methods (DVCAM and DVCPRO are designed to be more durable). But they all share the same 25mb/sec codec.

Not strictly true. There are 2 sizes of tapes. The mini DV tapes can be used to record DV and DVCAM. The large size of tape can be used to record DVCAM or DVCPRO but it depends on the manufacturing process of the tape and the camera as to which it records. You can buy expensive DVCAM mini DV size tapes that are a bit more durable to normal mini DV tapes but I've never noticed a significant improvement in quality to justify the added expense over normal mini DV tapes, these tapes also have the memory chip for storing shot details.

DVCAM records at a slower tape speed than DV. This means that the 25mb/sec is recorded over a greater length of tape. So in theory is better quality. Some prosumer cameras such as the Z1, PD170, XM1, A1E use miniDV size tapes and can record in DV or DVCAM, so tape size is not a way to distinguish between the two. Other than tape speed the other difference is how much space on the tape is used for recroding the audio.

I've not come across a pro camera that uses the larger size tapes that records in vanilla DV only DVCAM or on a Panasonic camera DVCPRO.

DVCPRO has a few important differences to DVCAM. It records audio in analogue which has the advantage that when shuttling through your material you can actually hear the audio, with digitally recorded audio above 2X speed you usually don't. DVCPRO also uses a different chemical formulation.

In terms of quality the 3 formats rank from bottom to top DV, DVCAM, DVCPRO. Other than the fact that DVCAM cameras usually have higher end chips and lenses to DV cameras you are unlikely to see much of a difference. You will notice a difference between DV and DVCPRO.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Canon Elura 100 Mini DV and I also have a lipstick cam(Helmet cam). The new sony's are a pile on junk they are to easy to brake and the touch screen is a bad idea. The Canon in easy to use and is very compatible with many editing programs, and goodies.

MB-

I409429.jpg.1929b981b201880dacc50847c2a69660.jpg

Sony Handycam

126013-25126_fr.jpg.1c3ce80cb5de3c2de2cef50399cc721d.jpg

Canon Elura 100

^ I disagree 100% with your assessment of the Sony's. I've never had a problem with the touch screen and the cameras are very durable. I mean, we test them to their limits! In fact the most recent models have actually proven to be far BETTER than the 2 or 3 models I've previously owned.

Have you actually owned a Sony for any long period of time or are you just being Anti-Sony because you own a Cannon? Just curious.

--Robb

I had a Canon ZR-200 that recently drew its last breath. It has died several times, but not because of the rides I took it on initially.

It first died because of a common manufacturer defect. I sent it back for repairs, got it back, and had the exact same problem. Sent it back again, and worked fine for a while. Took it on the UK trip on many of the rides (including Megablitz, Speed, and a handful of log flumes).

The next time it died was on the Wheel of Death at Southport. I didn't actually take the camera on the wheel, I just had it sitting on the side. It suffered a minor fall (maybe a foot or so) and then refused to power up in record mode after that. When I got back to the US, I tried powering it up again and it suddenly worked again.

It finally died several weeks ago at Disney World. I took it on Kali River Rapids (as it was a "Dan friendly" water ride), but the camera got a little wet

It continued to work, but it wouldn't accept tapes. Later that day, it died completely. A biopsy revealed some minor water damage to the metal, but the main damage was the battery short circuiting.

I've been looking for a good replacement.

Anyone know how reliable the Elura 100 is?

I want something that shoots true 16x9 (not cropped 4x3), and takes DV tapes. Night shooting would be nice, but anything is better than the "night" mode my ZR200 had.

Edit

\/ KidTums. Oh yeah, I have an Elura 100 now

• 4 weeks later...

^^I agree with Robb. I've had a few Sony camcorders and they are pretty durable. I don't take them through what Robb does, but my camcorders go through bumps and bruises too. Sony camcorders are like Timex watches -- they take a licking and keep on ticking!

• 4 weeks later...

I like Sony cameras. I've been recording Disney parks for more than 20 years. Over 2000 hours worth. I started with a video camera and portable (HAH!) VCR, then later a VHS camcorder, then standard 8, high 8, and then digital 8. I just got my Sony SR-1 and am moving into the 21st Century. In two weeks we go to WDW for 2 weeks and I'll be shooting in 1080i. In all those hours of shooting with Sony, the only problem I had was with a tape transport mechanism locking up. It was repaired and back in service. Fortunately, I take two video cameras with me in case one goes down. Although I'll be able to edit and burn this stuff the files are WAY too large to post. Hope to talk to someone later about compression. At 25 gb to the hour it's a drive hog. I can only get

40 hours of video onto a 1 tb drive. Oh well....