TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The most rare coaster credits

I think that there's scope for a category of "obscure" credit, as opposed to "rare" credit. Stuff that's way off the regular enthusiast routes, like the parks in South Africa for example.

My bad. I think I misunderstood the use of "rare". Tower of Terror would have been obscure AND rare if it hadn't been closed. *cue resurfaced frustration*

EDIT: I went back and read what Robb defined as "rare". I've never been on a "rare" coaster before, but would we count coasters that were modified permanently? Like people who rode the coasters pre-modification?

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Are you sure that's a Galaxi? That would explain the ridiculous airtime!

Now I know why Butler Amusements makes no mention of the ride even though I rode it at one of their carnivals (California State Fair, 2009). I thought they were the sole provider of that midway, but maybe not.

I too have unearthed very little about that intense little ride. Would love to cross paths with it again!

Yay, someone besides me rode that during the 09 state fair! And yeah, the airtime was insane! That's seriously the most air I've ever gotten on a coaster!

I've been on Tower of Terror at GRC, and you're not missing much honestly; it's very rough. Anaconda however is another story; that's a very good ride indeed.

FWIW, if you want obscure, I rode five coasters in North Korea a fortnight ago, and enjoyed all of them (even the Volare, which was probably the least obnoxious of that family).

^ Nah, not really.... a bunch of us just rode TWO of them last month! And there is one at one of the most popular parks in the UK. I mean, it's probably about as difficult to get on X2 as it is a wooden wild mouse!

Edited by robbalvey

I think a wooden wild mouse coaster would be considered rare, if not extinct.

I agree with robb, its not that hard to get on one, and the 4 that are still around have been around for years and years. If you are going to think like that, then I can think of at lest 5 types of coasters right now that are rare if not extinct.

• 1 year later...

I like how they had to get it unstuck at the beginning of the video. Plus those riders must have had incredibly strong constitutions. That float-coaster doesn't look like it was designed for rider comfort, and who knows how many times they had to go through the circuit...

KCForce posted about this in another thread: the coaster in the 1982 Rose Bowl Parade!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz-SdphWO80

As far as I know it wasn't ever open to the public anywhere, but I think it counts as a credit. So bizarre!!!

I think this would qualify as a rare credit.

Wonder how many times those people went around?

• 1 month later...
I wouldn't say big bend was "Rare". It was open for a good amount of time at a very popular park.

I think the same goes for Big Dipper since it opened in the 1920's with a few closers in between.

Well, I did ride Son of Beast at Kings Island right after it first opened. It was smooth then and still had the loop. I don't suppose that counts as rare. Anyway, those are the rarest I have in my collection.

My only real "rare credit" is Ozark Wildcat at Celebration City. Yes, there were two other coasters in the park, but they were there back when it was Branson USA, and since then have been shipped to other parks. Ozark Wildcat was specifically built for Celebration City, and is still there, not operating. It might have been far and away the most popular ride at that park, but the park itself did not have good attendance and was only open for three years.

KCForce posted about this in another thread: the coaster in the 1982 Rose Bowl Parade!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz-SdphWO80

As far as I know it wasn't ever open to the public anywhere, but I think it counts as a credit. So bizarre!!!

I think this would qualify as a rare credit.

Wonder how many times those people went around?

I remember seeing this in the parade. Thanks for posting this Bob!