TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coasters on CAD

for about a year now I have been working on training in mechanical engineering. Back in May, I entered a competition Called MITES (Michigan Industrial Something Something Society) I entered the drawing below, Which I designed on Mechanical Desktop. I think for next year, I am actually going to try to duplicate a B&M train. What do you guys think? I know the image isn't the greatest. i just found, my hard copy that wasn't mounted. I won third in regionals with this.

mites.jpg.5bd672c375ccd0f8390edc7de481208f.jpg

This is a Launching Wild mouse train and track.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^ Yeah I plan on working as a CAD operator through college, and then find a job hopefully,(don't laugh) apprenticing for a designer, and move my way up through the ranks, with a number of projects under my belt, and then start my own business. I've been pretty dedicated to this for a while. I've been hammering out all of my high school courses in math and science, so I could take classes at my local C.C. while the school still has to pay for them. I finished all of my high school's math ans Science courses at my high school Sophmore year, and took trig at GRCC last year. This year I am taking Pre Calc and Calc 1 as well as College Physics 1 and 2. I am also taking German online because a numbver of designers are in Switzerland and Germany. Does Anyone have any other Ideas? My Senior Schedule isn't entirely cemented yet.

^and yeah I know its a bit small but It looked the best that way.

That's also my (hopeful) plan. But I don't want to work for B&M or Intamin. They never worked on coasters before, they worked on things like bridges. Then after Werner Stengel and Bolliger die (they are pretty old) I hope to snatch the opportunity to become a coaster designer. Or, I'd still be designing buildings instead. Either way, I'll try when I get older (maybe 50 like Bolliger) and get more experience. Unless the market gets pretty bad . . .

I want to be an amusement ride designer too, but I keep getting told," what if you don't find a job in this field?"But I think there are plenty companies in this field to get one, but like you said there's always architecture.

No offense or anyting, but there is so much wrong with the car in that picture.

I have been working on CAD since I was 12 years old and I must say, I have gotten really good at it. It is how I make 3ds's for NL. I'll try to get some screenshots from my coasters and put them up, but it might take a while considering my CAD is on my computer with no internet.

The drawing:

From an engineering design stand point the model has flaws, but that was not the point of the drawing. Everyone has to start somewhere, and this is a great start. I am not too familiar with MD but with ProE and SolidWorks you can perform FEA and stress analysis on the models (assuming you know the material each pikes is made of). After you design a new car, and I have no doubt you will, try and see what happens if you have loads on the car, i.e. turns and loops etc. But enjoy drafting and design because you will probably always have to do that in some aspect of design.

School:

Are you planning on doing Mechanical Engineering or more like manufacturing engineering? If you were going to get into ME I would recommend hitting the math hard and get it all out of the way. It is amazing how it seems like you never use any of that upper level math and then one class you get to solve differential equations.

The most important thing you can do is not get unwilling to push through the hard times. Engineering is hard, and no matter what you will spend so much time working on projects and in teams, it gets tiring.

On a side note, taking business classes really helps out for some reason. I had always thought of the business school as the evil empire.

And another note, learn how to write technically, this will help out, as all employers are looking for good writers. In fact that is probably just as important as being able to speak well.

Yea....

...I hate to break it to you, but your train wouldn't make it through a turn.

-Jahan

The wheel Structure rotates off off the train, It could turn, but it would have to be a fairly large radius. Any other way I designed it, It ljust looked to cluttered, and I did want to place well in the competition. One of the Big sticking points for the Judges, is neatness, and clarity. Next year I think I'll have to sacrifice some of that, so I can make it a lot more realistic, and score well because of that.

I am also taking German online because a numbver of designers are in Switzerland and Germany. Does Anyone have any other Ideas?

I would take French, since both B&M and Intamin are located in the French-speaking regions of Switzerland. Just a thought.....

Intamin is in a "German" speaking part of Switzerland, though, calling Schwitzerdütch, german would be quite a dangerous approximation... B&M though are located in a french speaking part of Switzerland, though, Mr Bolliger is natively German Speaking, and mabillard is Native french speaking. Anyhow, knowing both languages is a good advantage, or even a necessicity to find work in that country...

Anyways, always keep in mind, that rollercoaster engineering is a matter of very few people, and consulting designer offices such as B&M are VERY small offices that recruit VERY rarely, and in the case of B&M I heard last time very long ago, intamin's a bit bigger, but the rule is the same: lots of people wanting very few places... Entering the rollercoaster engineering is often a matter of chance, and rarely follows any "traditional" way....