TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Dark Knight.......Rises

mcjaco

I got the 2 disc special edition DVD. I'm a bit disappointed. I've only had it for a few hours and I've already watched all of the bonus material. Also the lack of an audio commentary irks me a little. The movie itself is amazing but all the other features leave me with an empty feeling.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rachel Dawes, ugh!

Hated her but that was really the only bad part of the movie. This is one of my favorite movies and it came out on my birthday, and is one of the few not completely artistic unique movies i love( like Sweeney Todd) my number one movie of last year.

This movie was amazing. I am probably getting it for Christmas.

I agree with those of you who were disappointed at the lack of bonus features. We bought the 2-disc and were stumped at so few special features. And the ones that were there were kind of boring.

I've read that it's going to be re-released in Imax, and possibly conventional, theaters in January for the Oscar push. So maybe after that (and if it wins) they'll release another DVD.

This only has to do a little with The Dark Knight since they were released on the same day, but did anybody else hear that Mama Fucking Mia became the highest grossing movie of all-time in the UK?! It beat Titanic!

MAMA MIA!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's a little WTFed out.

Finally saw this movie on Elissa's brothers Blu-Ray the other night.

I thought the movie was INSANELY overrated. I liked it, but I didn't get what all the hype was about. I felt the original Batman was MUCH better in so many ways but most importantly that movie knew what it wanted to be.

This film tried to pretend that it fit into "real life" and look less comic book, but yet the entire film was fantastical.

I felt the look and feel of the movie was trying to be something it wasn't and constantly fought itself for not wanting to be a comic book, even though it is based on a comic book. Spider-Man pulled off the "comic book character living in a real world" very well, this movie did not. I haven't seen Batman Begins so I'm not sure if the look of that movie was the same, but I couldn't help but feel "distracted" through the whole movie by two things: 1. Batman's voice, 2. Characters that didn't work within their world.

I didn't think Heath Ledger's character was that great. If anything, it kind of reminded me of Jack Sparrow in the sense that there was so much make up and costume that it didn't feel like the actor at all and could be played by pretty much anyone, which was evident by how well the look-alikes at the Bill & Ted show pulled it off.

Of course compared to other summer movies this year it was FAR BETTER than anything else I've seen (there was a LOT of crap in 2008) and maybe that's why people went nuts over it? When you have such horrible, horrible films as Indy 4 and Speed Racer as alternatives, this does stand out. But I just didn't think it lived up to the hype that has surrounded it for months.

I would say Dark Knight is "The Voyage" of movies for me. I liked it, and I would watch it again if someone turned it on, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it and I don't get what everyone was going nuts over.

--Robb

^ I felt the same way the first time I saw it. It was the second time that I really started to like it.

I almost think there was too much to take in, and you missed a lot of Ledger, and the rest of the casts performances. Batman Begins was exactly the same in terms of comic book characters in the real world. Although in that movie, I thought they pulled it off better.

I have only one rule as to when I buy a DVD. Is it a movie I'm going to watch mutilples times over my life and still love it everytime? If yes, it's in my collection (which is only about 30 some odd movies). That being said, the original Burton Batman (not the sequels) and the Nolan Batmans are there. They both fulfilled the comics vision quite well, and I can watch them over and over.

^ I do agree with you that a lot of attention was brought to the movie because Ledger died, but not only because of that. I believe he did a superb job of protraying the Joker. But a lot of the money that the movie earned came because people wanted to see Heath's last movie. Besides that fact, I do think that the movie was great. One of my favorites.

---Brent

I couldn't help but feel "distracted" through the whole movie by two things: 1. Batman's voice...

IIRC, I think there's a reason for that; in Batman Begins, the character has some sort of voicebox enhancer developed for him, presumably to make him sound grittier. (Though Cracked.com stated it more like "gargling on whiskey and thumbtacks", and I'd agree!)

Only reason I actually liked Batman Begins was that I first watched it last year in philosophy; when you're actually looking for allegories et al. the movie becomes a lot more interesting. However, a comic book movie it is not, and Gotham seems like some sort of 1940's alternate-reality to me, so the realism gets a little looser because of it.

Anyway, I got Dark Knight on DVD yesterday and I still like the movie, though definitely not one of my favourites.

I got it on DVD as a Christmas gift and watched a little for the second time. That "magic trick" still horrifies me and makes me laugh all at the same time.

It's a very good movie, but it's a "watch once in a while", not "never gets old" ala Star Wars or Cannonball Run, Smokey and the Bandit, Tim Burtan's Batman, etc.

Nothing against Dark Knight or anyone else's feelings, I just like Burton's rendition better, probably because of the style, and that it had more humor. It was serious enough, but still entertaining escapism.

Hey, at the end of the day, I'm still glad to have it in my collection with other comic movies, so it's all good.

"Dark Knight" was good IMHO - just good. One of the few movies we actually paid to see in a theater. Got my money's worth for it.

Heath's Joker was more psychotic and believable, while Nicholson's Joker was more "over the top/silly".

Nicholson's Joker is a classic, but I can appreciate Heath's character also.

In a philisophical guess to me their kinda like cooking soup - each person makes soup differently. Each soup is good in their own right, but each may have a certain spice or flavoring that you enjoy over another.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

• 2 weeks later...
I love how there was so much praise for this movie before Robb posted his opinion, and now it's going into the lesser comments now.

I for one still love the movie. I shall name it "squishy" and it shall be mine.

I noticed that too. As for The Dark Knight, I still have it in my top 3 for the year after watching it on DVD again. I do agree that it's a movie I would only watch every once in a while, unlike Iron man which I can watch over and over again. Still, I wouldn't put one above the other for my favorite movie in 2008.

Finally saw this again last night, after I saw it available to rent on my PS3.

I was hoping for it to go up in my book, after having (friendly) arguments with two coworkers who said it was the best movie they had ever seen.

When I first saw it, I rated it a 8.5 out of 10....now its an 8 out of 10.

Yeah...it went down in my book, and thats not a good thing.

My main problem is that nothing really stood out to me and said "Hey! This is a great movie."

Wanted did this to me, because it had an amazing style, which this did not, and thats why I rated Wanted my favorite movie of 08.

It was not the best, but it was the funnest to watch, while The Dark Knight was just depressing to watch.

Also, the performances were not that good in the movie.

People are raving "Heath was Amazing...Oscar Worthy"...Nope!

Ive seen so many people on youtube and such do the exact same performance, and I had a hard time telling them apart.

A real Oscar worthy performance is something only one person can do, and that is why There Will Be Blood was amazing.

If anything, Aaron Eckhart had the best performance in the movie.

You actually felt for him, and could feel real emotion from him.

And I so wish that whole Boat sequence wasn't in the movie...added nothing...Should have just been a showdown between Batman and Joker ala the First Batman movie.

I know it seems like I'm bashing the movie, but I still quite liked it, and will buy the blu ray down the line.

But Batman Returns will still be my ideal Batman movie.

Edit- Just saw that the movie was #5 on IMDB.

Way to high...especially considering the movies its beating!