TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Dark Knight.......Rises

mcjaco

Warner Brothers released info on the next Batman movie, "The Dark Knight" (yeah, cool and appropriate title!). There is going to be two villians, the Joker and Peguin. Surprisingly, they've cast Heath Ledger for the Joker. I'm kind of weirded out about that casting job although I guess I can see him playing that role. It will be interesting if Chris Nolan makes him a darker villian than Tim Burton and Nicholson did. Summer of 2008 can't come fast enough for me.

Edited by mcjaco

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Heath Ledger casting was a mistake. He has too much of an iconic performance to live up to from Burton's version of the Joker. Plus I don't see him playing the role of villian, let alone a villian among all villians in the Joker.

I'd of cast Jack Black as a more conving Joker character then Heath Ledger. Heath is a great actor, but I just don't see "it" in this role. You need a lot of "it" to pull off what people are expecting out of the Joker in this movie.

People didn't expect a Batman movie directed by the guy who did Memento and starring Christian Bale to be good, but they pulled it off rather well. Basically, I'm pretty confident in any casting decision Nolan makes. Since these Batman movies are darker and more realistic, hiring a more dramatic actor like Ledger seems like a way better decision than someone hammy like Jack Black. I really really don't want a retread of Nicholson's Joker.

I think casting Ledger was a huge mistake...he just isn't right to play joker (he's young, doesn't have the right face, and doesn't he have an accent)...A perfect choice for Joker would have been Crispin Glover (marty mcflys dad in BTTF)...Batman Begins was an o.k. movie because of Nolan, but I don't know about this one.

Batman Begins was the best movie out of all Batman movies made. The darkness finally got brought out. All of the other movies, were more special effects and bad characters (Mr. Freeze and Poision Ivy).

Heath Ledger hmmm, I don't know what to think of him as the Joker. It will be interesting to see, though I wouldn't have picked him. Honestly, the best villain character was The Riddler and Jim Carrey pulled that off brilliantly, IMO. I would love to see him re-star in another Batman movie role, though I highly doubt that will happen.

Anyone else casted for the movie yet?

There's rumors that Penguin would be play by Philip Seymour Hoffman. If that's true, well, holy crap, AMAZING.

I would definitely go see the new Batman if Hoffman played the Penguin!

What iconic performance does Ledger have to live up to?

Nicholson's Joker was more of Nicholson acting like himself, certainly nothing iconic or even noteworthy. How he measures to Hamill will be the question.

Matt

Uhhh.... If I need to answer that you just don't know bro. Nicholson was a lot more than Nicholson in that movie. He gave a performance that was way beyond what anyone expected out of him. He asked for a bagillion dollars if they wanted him in that role and he gave a peromance that won't soon be forgotten. Except you.

Not noteworthy? Wow, man. Wow. That was the same Nicholson in The Shinning? One Flew Over the Cooco's Nest? etc... No way man. That was one of the most iconic performances of a single character of fiction and many top names in Hollywood will tell you just that.

If you don't like the movie or Nicholson, don't player hate. Nicholson has always been refered to as iconic for that performance of the Joker by actors, directors and critics alike. I swear you are the first person that I have ever heard that has put that in dispute.

The fact that you used not "noteworthy" just blows my mind. I am not trying to say Nicholoson's portrayal of the Joker was the greatest thing ever on screen but I think you are being way to harsh to make it sound like some throw away role when it was nothing even close to that.

People didn't expect a Batman movie directed by the guy who did Memento and starring Christian Bale to be good, but they pulled it off rather well. Basically, I'm pretty confident in any casting decision Nolan makes. Since these Batman movies are darker and more realistic, hiring a more dramatic actor like Ledger seems like a way better decision than someone hammy like Jack Black. I really really don't want a retread of Nicholson's Joker.

Exactly. Christopher Nolan is a really good director. I trust his judgement. Insomnia and Memento were fantastic movies. He cast Robin Williams as a villain in Insomnia and it was a fantastic choice. I'm not worried about Ledge as Joker.

-Bryan "Nolan's new movie 'Prestige' intrigues me" Wood

Nicholson was OK. The Joker is a nut but, he made him almost a bit too comical for me. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the performance, I just hope Nolan will bring him back the way he was, like he did with Batman. The Penguin rumor has me really intrigued. This will be an interesting few months as they gear up for production in early 2007.

There's rumors that Penguin would be play by Philip Seymour Hoffman. If that's true, well, holy crap, AMAZING.

Now THAT would rule!

I love the fact that they are willing to combine villians in this next installment rather than have the Joker in this one then the Penguin in the next.

This concept got totally half-assed with the Penguin and Catwoman combo in Batman Returns. Hell, Catwoman was more of a good guy than the villian she was supposed to be from the comic book storyline.

I also didn't like Nicholson's version of Joker. I thought he played it up too much, it distracts from the overall movie. It's like having one instrument play too loudly over an entire song.

If thats the case... thousands upon thousands flocked out that summer to hear that one instrument play and made that movie one hell of a blockbuster. I know I sure didn't pay to see Michael Keaton.

I totally agree when critics call that role iconic for the fact that it was one of the greatest adaptations of a fictional comic book character villian. Him and Lex Luther are the two standouts in my mind. I feel Nicholson has won that onscreen icon battle over Spacey and Hackman both of which are Lex Luther roles that I loved to watch.

"Supposedly" the story line won't even show Joker until half way through. It's going to be about how he became the Joker, ala Batman Begins.

I think the Spiderman movies have shown you can have multiple storylines with villians and, not muck up the waters too much.

If thats the case... thousands upon thousands flocked out that summer to hear that one instrument play and made that movie one hell of a blockbuster. I know I sure didn't pay to see Michael Keaton.

That's my problem with the movie exactly. The movie is called "Batman" but I think the Batman character is ultimately *incredibly* boring in the movie, especially next to LOOKATMELOOKATME performance Jack gave. This was also my problem with Superman Returns, Superman was so boring and somber and Lex Luthor was too over the top. There needs to be a good balance between the hero and villain.

The reason Batman Begins was so refreshing was because they took time to make Bruce Wayne complex and interesting. Batman Begins is also the only comic book adaption I'd consider an actual well done film through and through, as opposed to just a really good popcorn super-hero movie.

Well, that could go either way...He could be OMG amazing as Penguin or he could be horrible...But, Danny DeVito was pretty amazing as penguin so it's going to be hard to top that.

What iconic performance does Ledger have to live up to?

Nicholson's Joker was more of Nicholson acting like himself, certainly nothing iconic or even noteworthy. How he measures to Hamill will be the question.

Matt

I disagree. Although there is alot of Nicholson in the character, that's what made the Joker incredibly fun to watch. Personally, I think his portrayal of the Joker was right on par with what Depp has done with Sparrow. Nicholson defined that series, even with being in only one film. And personally, I liked the way Keaton played Batman. I know many feel Jack overplayed it and stole the spotlight, but hey, that's what comic book stories are all about anyway....the villians. Take away an outgoing obnoxious villian to fight, and what do you have? Not much. The superhero really should be low key. That's what makes the audience sympathize with his plight. The three most polular were all quiet in nature...Batman, Spiderman, and Superman are all very unassuming in their civilian forms.

At first I was skeptical of even rehashing the whole series, but like Wes said, Nolan pulled it off so far. It really is the most realistic comic book adaptation I've seen yet. There was a perfect blend of backstory and riveting action to follow it up. It's pretty much like any other fairy tale ever told...everyone will have their shot at telling the same story a slightly different way, and I'm sold on the current version. Okay, well as long as Clooney and Kilmer are kept at least 500 miles from any set they're shooting on.

I'm throwing my support to Nolan. I think Batman Begins was the best Batman movie to date, with lots of focus on Bruce Wayne, starting Batman, and plenty of action from the supporting cast and gadgets. I only hope it doesn't get too summarized with the addition of another main villain in Penguin, ala Batman Returns, etc.

I like Batman & Batman Returns, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin are terrible. I don't really have any urge to see Batman begins, although I have heard it is good. Those of you comparing Batman 1&2 to BB are being a little rash in my opinon.

Batman has gone through many changes since he was created. Batman 1&2 are a good balance of the two extremes of Batman, the dark side and the comic side. Batman Begins (so I have heard) focuses mainly on the dark side of Batman.

Just because the overall feel of the movies are different doesn't mean that one is good and one is bad. Batman 3 & 4 are bad movies, they were nothing more than eploitations of the Batman universe to make money. For the new movie I think it is unfair to compare and or pre-judge the actors in their rolls.

• 1 year later...

I don't even remember me starting this thread.

They actually did destroy that building. It's been vacant for a few years. Filming just wrapped up here last week, they even filmed a portion in my office's lobby and back alley. Can't wait to see that!

It's gonna be a heck of a cast, and when you replace Katie "Help me I'm brainwashed" Holmes with Maggie Gyllenhall, that's a major plus.

Personally I think multiple villians always ruins a superhero movie. By defeating multiple villians it just constantly elevates the hereo to a untouchable state. I also thing the penguin is the Worst repeat vilian in the Batman franchise. Heck in the current storyline he has become a pretty much legitimate businessman. Joker is Batman's maine nemesis since he will cross the line that Batman will not. He needs no help and just the trials he puts Batman through are more then enough to fill a movie. I am still looking forward to seeing it I just wish it was one vilian alone.

I do realize the Begins movie had two vilians, but it was so flawlessly done and both characters are second tier that it worked, Joker is just too big to need someone else.