TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Paramount Parks after Cedar Fair Acquisition

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to make it clear that I think Cedar Point does an awesome job in running/maintaining their parks. All these people badmouthing them will be sorry when they aren't rewarded. SoCal should be left out of any and all new coasters, as they're all disney whores anyway and will never apreciate a ride for what it is, a ride! Keep it real in Ohio, CF and build up your empire. PKI is even better since the new management has taken over. I trust you guys know what to do. As for SoB, don't worry, nobody sane likes that ride anyway. Do to it what you've done in the past with problem woodies. I wouldn't even mind a B&M clone in it's place!

[/suckup to CP mode]

-James Dillaman

First - How would you know if you haven't been

Second - PCW has a great selection of Flats and a wide variety of coasters - not the best ones, but coasters none-the less

Third - Have you offered them any constructive criticism? - I've been multiple times this year and have seen the best operations ever - no stacking of trains, ride ops having fun and paying attention to guests, shorter lines, better quality food the list of improvements goes on.

As for bad experiences - I had one, contacted the park via email and received a call later that day to apologize and to let me know that they would be correcting the problem. They also thanked me for my message and stated that they cannot improve without valuable guest input.

Lastly - PCW has the highest attendance of any seasonal theme park in North America - I don't think that you are sending them any sort of message.

As for the park - it is getting better. I'd like to see some more installations in the next year, but remember record breaking and big does not mean the best - Thunderhead, Everest, Balder - great rides, not the biggest or fastest.

Sorry about the rant - just something to think about....

First: I don't know, once was good enough for me to bad mouth the place.

Second: The flats are not that great, why does everyone think that? With the exception of Cliffhanger, they aren't 'amazing', just good.

Third: I have sent them many emails telling them about all the problem areas and how bad the food was when I went, but they didn't email me back and when I went later in the season, nothing changed... and all they serve at the park is disgusting fast food.

I'm glad they're trying to improve, but it dosen't change my opinion on the place.

Lastly: How did they calculate that? Was it 3 million diffrent people? Or the same people that live within 1 hour and say "I'm bored, lets go to Wonderland, I know it sucks, but it's the only thing to do"

And I know full well that record-breaking dosen't mean better, but it's not that hard to make a record-breaking canadian coaster since the best coaster in Canada right now is french... gross.

Since you've been there plently this season, How is MCMB doing? Last time I rode it it was hell on earth(I think it's the trains more then the track)

What about Skyrider? I guess it's not dispatching every 8 minutes anymore...

Last time I rode Wilde Beast, I had internal bleeding... has it gotten better?

Screamomatic - you are entitled to your opinion, but it is not a current year one. The thread was asking if anyone has noticed any changes - you have not because you have not been.

MCMB -Still rough - PCW's reply - they are working on making some changes but will have to see what happens with CF

Skyrider - it's a TOGO standup - in fact standup's in general have a slowing dispatch time. BTW- it is around 3-4 minutes this year, but you wouldn't know this as you have not been.

Wildbeast - by far not the roughest wooden coaster - have you been to others in the area - Darien Lake's Predator is a lot worse, even CP's (Mean Steak) is worse . On WB - They have eliminated trim brakes and it is a faster ride - the only really rough spot is the last turnaround - again you would not know this as you have not been.

The Flats Cliffhanger is great, Psyclone - good ride, not too intense, but great for the GP, Sledgehammer - again good for the GP - not so great for the enthusiasts, Shockwave was running an intense great program this year - only a 10 minute wait as well - in fact all of these flats had a 10 minute or less wait - you won't find that everywhere.

Canada's best coaster - I assume you mean at Laronde. I can't comment - but it does look good. Your attitude towards the French, however, is deplorable - if you don't like a bilingual country - move.

The most visitor stats - not calculated by them, was done by the amusement park industry.

Food- the new restaurant by Top Gun serves rotisserie chicken, at least 4 different kinds of pasta, gourment pizza's - Last I checked, this wasn't your typical fast food.

I guess my point is, you cannot have an informed opinion since you have not been there. Yes there are changes happening and yes it is for the better so I invite you to go to the park and see.

In response to the PCW haters (and I was one for a long time), Nicole has made a very good point. What do we have near us that's better? Marineland, SFDL? The closest thing that's better is about 6 hours away (I can't speak for La Ronde).

I know its the cool thing to do to bash PCW when you've ridden Millennium Force, Kraken and Tatsu when the GP here in Ontario talks about Top Gun like its the best thing since sliced Montu, but the reality is that its not a bad park in the big scheme of things.

If you don't like the food there, then you aren't going to like the food at 90% of parks. You generally get fast food and that's it. PCW ain't Epcot. Go eat and SFMM and then talk about PCW's food.

PCW = not a Disney park

I would consider it a bit better than average park. Here's to optimism!

DB

Lots of plastic trash cans, concrete, and the removal of anything that is historic and/or themeing.

So then SoB really IS gonna fall On the other hand, here are the other rides to be removed:

*Beast (still longest)

*FoF (firstish LIM)

*Racer (Historic)

*VorteX (first 6-looper)

Thats like, half of our coasters right there

In response to the PCW haters (and I was one for a long time), Nicole has made a very good point. What do we have near us that's better? Marineland, SFDL? The closest thing that's better is about 6 hours away (I can't speak for La Ronde).

It's really only one hater.

The rest of us have more realistic expectations.

I thing PGA will be needing some work. My name is pgathriller and that was when I loved PGA. They removed Greazed Lightnin and the Stealth which were my two favorite coasters at the park. Then they remove 2 great Huss rides (Triple Play, Orbit) which were my favorite flats. What have they added? A water park and the Survivor ride. The water park is pretty good in IMO but PGA has a real weak coaster and flat ride variety. Im hoping Cedar Fair tries to improve there lineup of rides. I don't know where they can add a new roller coaster without removing one. I would be happy enough if they added a couple of decent flats. I still enjoy Invertigo, Top Gun and Vortex. I once thought they should tear down Grizzly and add a new roller coaster but I realized it's a great family roller coaster and it should stay. So all in all if Cedar Fair adds atleast 2 decent flats I will be happy. I mean as for flats this is all they have-

Delerium- A great ride

Beserker- LAME- do they still have it?

Stunt Tower- My favorite drop tower

Flying Eagles- Not much care for this ride

Centrifuge- A decent ride

I wouldn't mind seeing a Huss Top Spin installed. I think Survivor the ride was a good addition just because it's a good family ride but it doesn't make up for all they took out. I don't know why they removed the 2 Huss rides. PGA IMO has turned more into a family park over the years which is good in a way but they don't really have much for thrill ride seekers. So after writing my opinion, I'm really interested in what other people are hoping happens to PGA.

Quoted for truth. IMO, and having never been to any other Paramount parks, PGA is severly lacking in the thrill department. Granted thrills dont neccesarily bring in the money (real money is in families, look at Disney), the former ownership of PGA was actively removing thrill rides for a tamer atmosphere, seemingly no longer in competition with SFMW up the road. Im not asking for PGA to become the next SFMM, but at least a few flats would be nice. PGA doesnt really have a lot of space around it to expand anyways.

The only thing I dislike about PCW (I'm no hater...) is that they have so many off the shelf coasters and even the original ones are just OK. But you are right, it is the best park in the region. One thing they do right, and probably the best, is their stellar collection of flat rides. Psyclone, Sledge, they have a Top Scan for cryin out loud! Luckily I go to parks for more than just coasters, but Vortex is worth the trip anyways.

Considering the environment that existed when PCW was built, I think they do a pretty good job. For those members of this board in the area that are not old enough to remember, before PCW the only Canadian park that was around was a place called Bob-Lo Island. It was (the island is still there) in the Detroit River. You got a ferry ride from Amherstburg near Windsor or downtown Detroit. It went out of business soon after Canada's Wonderland opened. The only other opportunity was to drive to Cedar Point for Southern Ontario people.

CF's take over is not going to be bad for PCW. You won't see much difference this year. My son works at PCW and there has not been any mandates from on high as yet.

The off-season may see some organizational changes but I doubt any major changes are in the near-future (ie. 2007).

Considering the environment that existed when PCW was built, I think they do a pretty good job. For those members of this board in the area that are not old enough to remember, before PCW the only Canadian park that was around was a place called Bob-Lo Island. It was (the island is still there) in the Detroit River. You got a ferry ride from Amherstburg near Windsor or downtown Detroit. It went out of business soon after Canada's Wonderland opened. The only other opportunity was to drive to Cedar Point for Southern Ontario people.

Ahh yes I remember those times well.

Wait, no I don't. I was born while PCW was still under consturction.

Though really at that time the amusement park business in general wasn't all that booming. Cedar Point definetly wasn't the blockbuster park in 1980 that it is now.

I thing PGA will be needing some work. My name is pgathriller and that was when I loved PGA. They removed Greazed Lightnin and the Stealth which were my two favorite coasters at the park. Then they remove 2 great Huss rides (Triple Play, Orbit) which were my favorite flats. What have they added? A water park and the Survivor ride. The water park is pretty good in IMO but PGA has a real weak coaster and flat ride variety. Im hoping Cedar Fair tries to improve there lineup of rides. I don't know where they can add a new roller coaster without removing one. I would be happy enough if they added a couple of decent flats. I still enjoy Invertigo, Top Gun and Vortex. I once thought they should tear down Grizzly and add a new roller coaster but I realized it's a great family roller coaster and it should stay. So all in all if Cedar Fair adds atleast 2 decent flats I will be happy. I mean as for flats this is all they have-

Delerium- A great ride

Beserker- LAME- do they still have it?

Stunt Tower- My favorite drop tower

Flying Eagles- Not much care for this ride

Centrifuge- A decent ride

I wouldn't mind seeing a Huss Top Spin installed. I think Survivor the ride was a good addition just because it's a good family ride but it doesn't make up for all they took out. I don't know why they removed the 2 Huss rides. PGA IMO has turned more into a family park over the years which is good in a way but they don't really have much for thrill ride seekers. So after writing my opinion, I'm really interested in what other people are hoping happens to PGA.

EDIT: I just read this topic- http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27573

PGA should buy one of these! lol. Would that be realistic?

Two things -

1 - They changed "Drop Zone" to "Stunt Tower"?

2 - About that flat ride in the link you posted, The next flat I could see Cedar Fair putting in at PGA is a Screamin' Swing.

Well, I think Screamin' Swing was fun and if they really want to continue the trend of family rides, they should install that. The one at Knott's, I remember, there was a little kid who looked like he was bored of it while his parents where all excited on it and scared. He must have been trying to be macho though. I was even surprised by the lack of restraints and felt uneasy, but that's a good thing when talking about rides. If they could get a screamin' swing with no five dollar fee, allt eh better for them.

But personally, I'd love to see a new roller coaster there, like a prefab woodie (like balder) that could replace grizzly. Marine world's got Roar, and Grizzly can't compete with that. But that ride isn't so old that it would be removed. Too bad they're land locked.

Alright, Wonderland isn't all that bad, I'm not a PCW hater, and I haven't been there this season... it's not like its a crime though...

And the french thing was an inside joke... just ignore it.

Just forget about it, Canada's Wonderland is what it is, but it could be better, don't deny it.

Just forget about it, Canada's Wonderland is what it is, but it could be better, don't deny it.

I don't think there was a single person who didn't say that PCW couldn't be better.

But it's a business afterall, and if you expect the park to be run like CP or SFGAdv then you're going to be let down.

Possible new rides for PGA...

Coasters

Something could easily be built over the go-carts, the best idea would be a launched coaster. A motorbike coaster would be right up their alley because it's thrilling but not too thrilling. Plus, the motorbikes would blend in with the go-karts and it could be themed fairly easily. The station could very easily be placed on top of the food mart, then a launch on the edge of Kidzville towards Invertigo, a turnaround to face the Spongebob breakdancer, turn there and enter the main part of the ride over the go-karts, then the main section of the ride over the Go-Karts, then a return trip, over the skyride station, and the breaks, then turn into the coaster's station. Since it would be right there in Action Zone it would fit right in.

Hollywood Plaza could do with a rollercoaster. I'm thinking a Maurer spinner. Take out the trampolines and put a tall station there. The queue could be held on the ground floor, extending out, and then stairs up to the station. The coaster car would go out behind Invertigo's lift hills, turn, climb a lift, turn, and then ride all over the plaza. A good bit would be a helix around Celibration Swings.

An Intamin could be installed over the rapids ride, with a station where the Orbit stood, a lift hill towards Delerium, a turnaround and a drop back towards the rapids, then it could do all those wonderful things Intamins do so well.

Flats

Bring the Troika back. It was a silly idea to remove it. Bring the Orbit back as well. Perhaps give both new themes or paint jobs to make them fresh. Paint the Troika's cars different colours. For example, each car on each wheel could be one colour of the rainbow (seven cars per wheel makes this an easy thing to do).

Perhaps a renovation of an area could be done. For example, Hollywood Plaza could be changed to a sort of carnival-theme with the permanent versions of numerous flat rides. This could act as a host for the Troika and the Orbit, along with the Celebration Swings, if so desired. A Huss Rainbow could be purchased and the long-needed Ferris Wheel could be installed. This could open up the possibility of having Great America open past 8:00.

A Huss Swing-around (wasn't there one removed from one of the other Paramount parks recently?) would be a fitting addition. It could be placed upon a building.

A teacups ride would do well, possibly themed.

And maybe a dark ride.

I'll get back to this later...

Possible new rides for PGA...

Coasters

Something could easily be built over the go-carts, the best idea would be a launched coaster. A motorbike coaster would be right up their alley because it's thrilling but not too thrilling. Plus, the motorbikes would blend in with the go-karts and it could be themed fairly easily. The station could very easily be placed on top of the food mart, then a launch on the edge of Kidzville towards Invertigo, a turnaround to face the Spongebob breakdancer, turn there and enter the main part of the ride over the go-karts, then the main section of the ride over the Go-Karts, then a return trip, over the skyride station, and the breaks, then turn into the coaster's station. Since it would be right there in Action Zone it would fit right in.

Hollywood Plaza could do with a rollercoaster. I'm thinking a Maurer spinner. Take out the trampolines and put a tall station there. The queue could be held on the ground floor, extending out, and then stairs up to the station. The coaster car would go out behind Invertigo's lift hills, turn, climb a lift, turn, and then ride all over the plaza. A good bit would be a helix around Celibration Swings.

An Intamin could be installed over the rapids ride, with a station where the Orbit stood, a lift hill towards Delerium, a turnaround and a drop back towards the rapids, then it could do all those wonderful things Intamins do so well.

Flats

Bring the Troika back. It was a silly idea to remove it. Bring the Orbit back as well. Perhaps give both new themes or paint jobs to make them fresh. Paint the Troika's cars different colours. For example, each car on each wheel could be one colour of the rainbow (seven cars per wheel makes this an easy thing to do).

Perhaps a renovation of an area could be done. For example, Hollywood Plaza could be changed to a sort of carnival-theme with the permanent versions of numerous flat rides. This could act as a host for the Troika and the Orbit, along with the Celebration Swings, if so desired. A Huss Rainbow could be purchased and the long-needed Ferris Wheel could be installed. This could open up the possibility of having Great America open past 8:00.

A Huss Swing-around (wasn't there one removed from one of the other Paramount parks recently?) would be a fitting addition. It could be placed upon a building.

A teacups ride would do well, possibly themed.

And maybe a dark ride.

I'll get back to this later...

I like your way of thinking! The motorbike thing, although that does seem like a really good idea and how it would fit with the go karts, that style of coaster just doesn't look fun IMO. Now the Intamin idea...I really like that! Maybe like an Xcelerator? But the west coast doesn't have a B&M hyper.. I just hope they get some type of new, big ride!

PCW is a good park with a bunch of great flats, 1 good coaster (vortex) and a bunch of average/crap other old coasters.

I would go to PCW every week if they just built a new floorless B&M or something like that.

They have enough room for one, and they need to get rid of dragon fire...

But the park is not a bad park at all. Maybe it doesnt have as good a coaster lineup as SFMM or CP, but at least its a nice park...