TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Norcal Earthquake

CD

Last night (August 2) at 8:08 pm there was a 4.4 magnitude earthquake in Rohnert Park, California. It was considerd a mild earthquake, but it sure didn't feel like it. It was said that it could be felt from San Jose to Sacramento! And I know that there are TPR members between there. This was very scary considering this is the largest one I have ever felt, and that I was right next to the epicenter. I was just wondering if any othe TPR members expirienced this?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^You don't even live in California.

Yes, I felt it! I live in Rohnert Park, and it scared the crap out of me! I hate how they come with no warning. Okay I'll try to tell the story...I was sitting here at my computer on TPR and stuff, and then the wall starting to shake a little. I thought it was just my dog running around the house or something, but it kept getting harder and then the whole house was jolting and it seemed like everything was moving back and forth. It scared me real bad...I've lived here my whole life and maybe felt one or two really small earthquakes. I'd hate to be in an earthquake any larger than that one!

I was also on TPR, and I couldn't figure out why my mom was running through the house. Then It got louder and harder so I got out of my chair, stood up, and the ground was moving below me and all of the furniture was moving back and forth. I was so freaked out.

Um yea...I was on the TPR chat and playing my Tetris DS when everything suddenly shook. Suddenly, everyone on the chat is saying "Did you feel that?" Today at work, I asked people if they felt the quake and no one even knew about it. The largest earthquake I felt was the infamous 1989 earthquake which seemed to last forever. That was actually quite scary especially when I saw the Bay Bridge's upper deck collapsed.

The only earthquake I've ever been in was about 4 years ago when a VERY rare earthquake hit the Alabama/Georgia border line. It could be felt out here in Atlanta, which is what they said. It was around the same magnitude of the one you are talking about, but it happened in 4 in the morning, so I was still sleep. Other than that, I haven't been in one, unless you count a tremor, which I slept trough, that happened when I was visiting my uncle in L.A. But how long does an average earthquake last for? I heard they do not last more than 15 mins.

^ I remember that! It was something completely out of nowhere. I remember waking up and thinking 'what the heck just happened?" I fell right back alseep and didn't know what it was until the news that morning. I had NO idea it could even happen in this region. Learn something new everyday, I guess.

Okay, now maybe this should be in the rant thread, but who cares, here goes. What the heck is it about some of you kids actually wanting to experience or feel a bigger quake? You should be very thankful you've avoided a "big one" all this time. Natural disasters are NOT cool. I was always amazed to hear tourists or transplants actually tell me they wanted to experience a huge hurricane! I'd tell 'em, yeah, there's nothing quite like losing everything you own, wandering from shelter to shelter with no food, water, or clothes, and praying that there's someone willing to extend a hand of help. Ahhh, good times, right? Right?

Scott "guess what, the gulf area is still 20 years from full recovery...if they're lucky" B.

^ Shoot, what's that bridge called that's double decker?

I thought it was just called the Bay Bridge???

Yeah, I guess....well I don't like driving on that bridge!

^^ Call me crazy, but I don't think the upper section has it any easier. Taiko

Thanks, now I'll be nervous on the top too...

No earthquakes down here...except when my sister walks around! OOOH! BURNT!

And a stupid question Taiko Confused Red

is an earthquake a cool xperience???And I'm not talking about a quake around 7 but the small ones....

Well, not for me. It really scared me because it just came with no warning at all...and it seemed to not stop! I didn't know if the roof was going to fall! I tried hard to remember what to do in an earthquake, and by the time I got in the door frame it was over....but it was a scary 5 or so seconds. Not something I'd like to experience anytime soon again.