TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

*TENTATIVE* Dates & Info About TPR's 2007 Group Trips

You know, I'd like to go and meet new people as well as ride some great coasters, but you all make it sound like a tiny clique of friends that if you aren't already part of, you'd be left to fend for yourself (buddy-wise). Makes a girl wonder if it's worth it, or if I should just plan my own trip again. I would hate to be considered one of the 'fanboys' you all are openly dissing here, although apparently 'fangirls' are welcome.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's definetly not a clique.

Going into the UK trip I only knew a handful of people. I ended up meeting and hanging out with much more then that.

So don't worry about coming on a trip, everyone is super freindly. We can always use another Canadian.

You guys both completely missed the point. This is a public forum, and you're bashing the 'fanboys' whoever they are. Whether or not I'd make friends, I don't want the kind of friends who would be so insensitive to others in such a public manner. It's rude. I'm sure everyone on the trip is super-friendly, at least to your face...

You won't be the only new one, roastedmarshmellow (awesome name, btw).

My wife and I are planning to do at least one of the trips, and I haven't met a single person on this forum*. Newbies unite!

*Actually, I ran into Xander when he was a ride op at SFoT's log flumes, but besides that, no one.

Matt

You guys both completely missed the point. This is a public forum, and you're bashing the 'fanboys' whoever they are. Whether or not I'd make friends, I don't want the kind of friends who would be so insensitive to others in such a public manner. It's rude. I'm sure everyone on the trip is super-friendly, at least to your face...

yeeeaaaaaahhhhhh, thanks.

Tommy, you gotta at least try and go, otherwise I won't know anybody else. I may even play the part of 'Tommy Fanboy' during the trip .

Seriously, though, it would suck if you don't go, but If I do and you don't, I'm sure I'll manage...

You have to realize that most of the people on the trip came as singles! Some people knew some people, some people knew no one! Everyone met people and had fun, and had groups!

The people that were being dubbed the 'fanboys' would follow us around constantly.

And I do think you're completely missing our point. Without being on the trip I know it's impossible to understand completely what we're talking about. We all made plenty of new friends, and it was *AWESOME* that so many people came as singles and found a "group" to hang out with, but there were a few that would constantly follow us around and, for lack of a better word, harass us! Even when we were trying to do "trip stuff" or hang out with our long-term friends. And really, they would have been just fine if it wasn't CONSTANT.

It wasn't a "clique" as anyone who has met us know that we LOVE to meet and hang out with new people (we wouldn't have this site if that wasn't true), but some people just didn't understand that there were times that we needed a break and wanted to hang out with our closer friends, and they wouldn't go away, and that drove away the people we really did want to hang out with.....

...and that made us sad.

--Robb "I hope that explains things a bit." Alvey

Yes, please don't think of us as a clique or anything like that. Some of us just know each other from years ago, but we still want to meet new people. Its only a certain few that would constantly be there (closer than your shadow!) that started getting annoying after a bit. These trips are a great way to meet new people, finally get to meet Robb and Elissa, get in the videos, etc, but there comes a time when its "too much".

Its ok to be a fan, recognizing people from previous years videos and such and bringing up past things occasionally, but Robb and Elissa are honestly just normal people who share the same passion as the rest of us, and they'd probably like some privacy from time to time, or to take care of something in private. Certain people had a difficult time understanding that, and thus became known as the "fanboys".

I've met some great people for the first time on the last trip, many of which I look forward to seeing again and maybe spending more time with them. In fact, I met my girlfriend thru Theme Park Review, so we're all anxious to meet new people (except Dave!)

These trips are a terrific way to venture out into the world and ride some amazing rides that you may have a difficult time getting to on your own. You'll also be able to meet a bunch of people who share the same interests and who are a bunch of fun to be around. Its definitely an experience of a lifetime and you'll have lots of fun and bring back lots of stories and memories. Plus very few people actually know each other to begin with, which is why once you're on the list to go, there'll be a place on the site to get to know everyone else going a little bit better.

So if you're thinking about not going because you may not be accepted, please don't think that, because there's a 99.9% chance that you will be accepted by someone. (that 0.01% is in case you follow so closely that you try to get into the same seat as someone else or race out of the bathroom when you're not finished going just because everyone else has left the bathroom already. If they like you, they'll wait. If they don't wait, there's probably a reason for that, or they just forgot because the group was too big to keep track of everyone)

Of the 50 people on the UK trip, about 35 of them I really got to know and like, 7 were cool but kept to themselves, and another 5 I didn't really see much at all the entire time. Heck, when the trip was over, I even missed Ryan!

In short, fans are fine, fanboys are not, and these trips rock, so you should want to go!

yeah i know what its like to be followed around when you don't wanna, geez its horrible. Anyway you dont gotta worry about that over here, what you gotta worry about is trying to work out which rollercoaster im gonna be on when/if you wanna find me! This Italy/Spain stuff looks awesome im SO looking forward to it!

~(if i get it)~

What Derek said is 100% true. I consider myself to be on the antisocial side and would have had no problem just hanging with my wife and Larry. However as you get used to the others on the bus your group expands and becomes a lot more fun. The reason it may sound like a clique is due to a couple inside jokes and like Derek said about five people that seem to be lacking in social norms and/or have personal space issues. Anyone thinking that you would be isolated is way off base and after you go on a trip you will understand.

Going into the trip I had met Larry and that was all. By the end I would consider about 30 people on the bus people I definately hope go to Spain. Some of these are the people everyone mentions and others get very little notice on the site.

The people on the trip were great and like Derek said it may be neat to see people from the video but just be yourself and you may find at the end of the trip you have several new friends.

I've never met Robb or Elissa (although I did have a Robb sighting at SFMM, but he was with his friends riding coasters, and I didn't want to interrupt), but I have hung out with other people, some on this forum, some not, that have 'fanboys' and/or stalkers.

It does get annoying for us and them at a park. I'm the type of person that can get along with almost anyone as long as they're normal. But oftentimes, other enthusiasts have an idea of how someone, often times coaster site webmasters and/or videographers, are or should be, and when they're not, the person gets mad and other times tries to 'invoke' how they think the person should act.

If I get to go to Japan, I'm going to ride coasters and see Japan. I may even tack on a couple days of Me time. But at the same time, I'd end up hanging with the people I like for a large part of the trip as well.

But if you're spending 2 weeks with someone who is a fanboy (which really is just a nice term for UBER-Stalker), that gets old, and that isn't what the rest of the people signed up for.

My 3 cents' worth on solo touring and in-a-group kinda getting around....

My own experiences have been starting out with groups on tours, then eventually ending up on my own, touring around at my own pace, then re-grouping with whomever I ran into along the way (small or large group), then break off again and solo thru another part. That seemed to happen (again) for me with this tour. And that was okay. Hope it was fine with everybody else I connected with, on tour.

I have been 'on my own' for so many different adventures, tours, experiences, I actually find it a bit difficult to immediately "join in" with a group and tag along, going with The Flow, etc.

I had apprehension about "whether I'd fit in with The Group"(what 'group'?) blah blah blah, before I got to England. My roomie (hey John/zzrider, wherever you are, lol), was practically on his own for the most part, so we rarely crossed paths until we hit a hotel. But that was okay.

On the whole, I met some people whom I'd sort of known about thru here at TPR, which was great, I did get to be a part of 'group touring' here and there, and Elissa and Robb were great tour hosts and always did their best to keep us all 'in the know' about what was happening/going on with the tour itself... I would definitely do it all again.

Only next time, I will lose the 'hippie/old bum look' (which I have now, peeps! ) and now I know that there will be several familiar faces on board our next coach tour, as it winds (wends?) it's way thru the hills and highways of.... Spain? Japan?.... Indiana?

^ You can hang out with me, benzo.

Cool, you can eat cereal out of my chest when everyone else is gone

But now i do understand "the line" between the fan and the stalker. But I do have a question. When you say that they were hanging aound you all time. Does that mean that they would be around you at the park or at the hotel also?

WOW thats got to get annoying

So when you guys werent at a park, most likely when you were at a hotel, did you guys hang out somewhere. Like did people go to other rooms or anything like that? because if I had someone around me at the park, on the bus, and at the hotel for 2 weeks....that would be horrible.