TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Supposedly the structure on the inside of the lighthouse was pretty much made of rust and unsalvageable because of the way the lighthouse stayed so wet inside.  At least, that was the reasoning from one of the park managers a few years back.

Of course, if the lighthouse itself was solid you'd think they could just rebuild, but...Lake Compounce, the last few years...

I wish the park could revert back to 2016 since that was basically the last year everything was right. Since then we have had: The botched Wildcat remodel, the Sky Ride removal, Boulder crash, removal of drink stations, Lights Out/Wipeout closing, and lots of rides being closed/maintenance issues. Its clear that there are maintenance issues that shouldn't be happening. Last year a section of the floor on one of the cars on BD just detached from the train. It was towards the end of the night and they closed it after a bunch of people noticed. Saw Mill Plunge had a log that stopped at the bottom of the drop on numerous occasions. Revolution had parts fall out from under it while running this year and was closed for a few weeks. Boulder has run two trains one time in the last three years. Wildcat has yet to run two trains (the new trains). The list goes on and on. I am sure there will be issues with Thunder Rapids if they try to re-open it since it hasn't run in a year and a half. Honestly it is embarrassing at this point. 

Wipeout is no loss at all IMO, but sometimes I enjoyed riding just for the laughs. The program was way too intense and insane. It spins way too fast at the end and is super painful. I am sure they will replace it at some point, but I don't think it will be until 2022 at best.

There is a hiking trail that leads to the top Sky Ride terminal and I checked it out last week. Here are a few pictures. It is honestly really sad that they do not have this signature attraction anymore.  

https://imgur.com/a/7hwIEin

• Like 2

For Boulder at least it was my understanding that Jerry decided to only run one train for the most part.  Less wear and tear aka less needed maintenance in the long run.  With him moving more into a corporate role it will be interesting to see if that changes a bit.  

I don't mind if they go with one train most days, but it was frustrating on busy Saturdays when the ride's queue stretched back to the midway and was an hour.

I almost saw the ride run two trains a few years ago, but when they announced they were closing the ride temporarily to add the second train, enough of the line left (maybe 1/3 of it) that they decided to not actually transfer the second train on.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, BoulderDash said:

I wish the park could revert back to 2016 since that was basically the last year everything was right. Since then we have had: The botched Wildcat remodel, the Sky Ride removal, Boulder crash, removal of drink stations, Lights Out/Wipeout closing, and lots of rides being closed/maintenance issues. Its clear that there are maintenance issues that shouldn't be happening. Last year a section of the floor on one of the cars on BD just detached from the train. It was towards the end of the night and they closed it after a bunch of people noticed. Saw Mill Plunge had a log that stopped at the bottom of the drop on numerous occasions. Revolution had parts fall out from under it while running this year and was closed for a few weeks. Boulder has run two trains one time in the last three years. Wildcat has yet to run two trains (the new trains). The list goes on and on. I am sure there will be issues with Thunder Rapids if they try to re-open it since it hasn't run in a year and a half. Honestly it is embarrassing at this point.

I'm sure it's not the only problem, especially in light of all the other parks Parques Reuinidos has been butchering lately, but I'm pretty sure that was the last year that their long-time head of maintenance was at the park.  The moment he left everything started falling apart.  Jerry Brick had said at the time that they were having a hard time finding someone to replace him, but even if they can't find someone locally, I don't really understand how a global company like Parques Reuinidos can't manage to help with that at all if they actually gave a crap.  There's NO ONE at all competent and willing to move to a decent area in the middle of CT?

Whatever the causes, LC is in an absolutely pathetic state, and seeing my home park coming apart at the seams is just sad, and it isn't looking like it's going to improve any time soon...

If you'd told me ten years ago that we'd get to a point where I much prefer going to Six Flags...

29 minutes ago, Zand said:

Ah yes...Lights Out. Great waterslide but the inside of the lighthouse while waiting in line was the worst smelling thing ever built in a park.

I refused to wait for that ride unless the queue started at the top of the lighthouse.  The ride's throughput was glacial.  I think it had an hourly capacity of about 60 guests since the slide itself was decently long for a speed slide and the guest had to completely clear a line past the slide's exit for the next rider to be allowed on the slide.

• 4 months later...

Just when you thought the park was at an all-time low and couldn't get anymore disappointing. The next bit of news would HAVE to be positive. Well, It appears that the Haunted Graveyard is packing up and leaving the park!! Major yikes!!

https://hauntedgraveyard.com/?fbclid=IwAR0zoAKLnlN_-ubIKfR4ky-JNz5iLTT9DXhHhPQfGwyASJpjYIFVM3pCvHQ

https://www.lakecompounce.com/things-to-do/haunted-graveyard

This news is a buzzkill.  One, Haunted Graveyard was the best single haunt at any theme park.  It was nice having a reserved time for a single 45-60 minute haunt versus having to queue a long time for several 2-3 minute haunts.  I hope their replacement event would use a similar set-up, but I'm skeptical.  Bare minimum, I just want the park to be open after the sun goes down so I can at least guarantee some night rides on Boulder Dash.

ACE had an excellent tour at the park yesterday. I’ll post a few highlights here of what is going on. 

-It seems like almost everything that needs paint is getting it. Entire front entrance has been repainted and looks good. At first I thought it was a little too much yellow, but it’s growing on me. The dark blue trims help. Also those chaser lights on Wildcat look really good at night. Also the entry process will be touch less now and security will be moved to the main gate instead of the tunnel. 
D545B067-B877-4E44-ABB8-C4B6BCD864FF.thumb.jpeg.7831923754b41ad562f1cd1acd2812e7.jpeg

Work on Main Street, will have poles with lights and a new sign. Looks really cool. This concrete slab in the picture will be where the old carousel horse from the entrance is going. 
6AAA454E-BEAB-459E-9046-1D1EA6E965FB.thumb.jpeg.9da43c3ac646a139f2f19b001d64e89b.jpeg

Clipper Cove is done being rehabbed. Croc-o-Nile and the wave pool are being painted. The Croc-o-Nile slide, Mammoth Falls and Lights Out will also be repainted. Lights Out will be making a comeback in 2022 after a major renovation. Mammoth is also being painted green and purple. 

New seating area for Johnny Rockets, will eventually become a permanent building, likely in 2022. 
1D3397E7-C1A4-48FF-8663-1415030E9EC5.thumb.jpeg.d24603c31688d277b29c7b38c9428ac6.jpeg

Venus Vortex the delayed Waterslide should finish construction by May. The crew arrived yesterday and will start building today or Monday. 
DD7FA68F-E5EB-4E8D-B1DD-81E297A2DEDF.thumb.jpeg.156f31356bba9aa472eb42dfb096c1fe.jpeg

Most of the train track was re-done due to erosion happening. The track was too close to the water before. 
CA99EBF9-EEF2-4EEA-A9EE-28120932D2EB.thumb.jpeg.b46c01826ac84ba744cb37f80075da78.jpeg

Wipeout awaiting its next location

EE90EC94-78D3-497F-9274-F187B9E91E9F.thumb.jpeg.a6b92db4662813a7381521f129eea2cd.jpeg

A stage will be going here for a new food/drink festival.

C289BBD6-7BAB-4F6D-AE3E-7165D4839869.thumb.jpeg.63149df6665f4a672f1876a027095edb.jpeg

Few photos from the awesome Ghost Hunt walkthrough. New display with a screen at the end of the first room too. 

CF750DC7-F3AD-4DA7-8E3E-551DF9AC33DF.thumb.jpeg.3aadec3731abfbd4fe6484dd045e3eae.jpegA0DC25D8-F9EC-4967-BE1B-B11EBCBFA8DB.thumb.jpeg.e3295abeaf1bff6fec5553b129047e73.jpeg
41E3BD15-B66E-4A19-B543-D0D48515373E.thumb.jpeg.b5932f06dd16da9924750f5ab6bb5ddd.jpeg

A5F6F487-3B2E-43BF-9680-CCAD82C8697A.thumb.jpeg.4aadf6ac8eed6f3be27b82f4daceccbd.jpeg
63E900D7-45CA-4052-8D5A-D886CB87FC1C.thumb.jpeg.1e0297a02befa69f7bb4984abd1e0995.jpeg

915BE863-45A3-48D3-B385-B6E2F2DFCB6D.thumb.jpeg.a4b220578ed80ae8f80ce4738b7ba72a.jpeg

Zoomerang is being painted darker colors. Looks similar to Bizarro.
BF58D49D-DD76-4ABD-AF7B-918FDF5217C6.thumb.jpeg.28d3171991b14513aa4889084cd43a3f.jpeg

😐
9D64BC26-F008-4F12-8C60-E560957F386F.thumb.jpeg.b7bd167188a91b0cf07253996ec98f5f.jpeg

The parkside diner is being converted to Timberjack Chowhouse

2144B561-B17C-4823-B51A-06C63DBC3C0D.thumb.jpeg.9075314262bed21cdfead294b2b7909e.jpeg
267706A0-E821-4970-9B8F-1626DFE081BA.thumb.jpeg.83b792fd71e2455200d7b9c550a2f81e.jpeg

Few other notes:

-Saw Mill Plunge is being painted, station and trough.

-Croc Pot/Starlight is being painted.

-The bathhouse is being completely re-done and will have a mural painted on the water park side.

-Caterpillar train has been removed.

-New lights on the Ferris Wheel, SkyCoaster, and Revolution.

Hopefully the park has a successful season, tons of projects going on and they are impressive. 

30753CAF-1C78-469D-8376-E3B98646AF06.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Canobie Coaster said:

Great update!  I'm excited to hear Lights Out is coming back.

I thought it was very bizarre that they incorporated it into the new logo yet closing it at the same time. Glad it's coming back, hopefully it will smell better. Not really a waterpark person anymore but that was always one of my favorites besides the typically long line and awful smell.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Canobie Coaster said:

Today was Lake Compounce's opening day.  Unfortunately, Boulder Dash is closed until next weekend since it's waiting on a new control system.

Will the control system completely prevent them from crashing the two trains into each other again?

The optimist in me says they're doing this so they can transfer a second train on without having to dispatch the first from the station.

The realist in me suspects the control system just broke and they waited until the last minute to replace it.

On the bright side, every other ride was open including Thunder Rapids.  That ride was closed all of last year and rarely runs outside of peak season due to its asinine location.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canobie Coaster said:

The optimist in me says they're doing this so they can transfer a second train on without having to dispatch the first from the station.

The realist in me suspects the control system just broke and they waited until the last minute to replace it.

On the bright side, every other ride was open including Thunder Rapids.  That ride was closed all of last year and rarely runs outside of peak season due to its asinine location.

I love the location because you can ride it and then air dry on the Skyri...

Oh.

Speaking of that, one dark horse I have for that record breaking Gerstlauer is Lake Compounce.  In the past they had looked at adding a spinning coaster and I think that mountain terrain would count as a challenging location.  They could build a spinner that's larger than Shredder to take that ride's records.

I'm just being optimistic today between that and two train Boulder Dash operations.