TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

I had a front seat ride that was bearable early in the season but on my last visit a few weeks ago a second row ride really beat me up to the point that I didn't want to ride again.

If it was merely back-of-Mean Streak rough it would be a top ten coaster. As it stands, it's basically at the bottom of my list because I just can't ride it without really regretting it.

"I know it's coming, I know it's coming, where is it -THERE IT IS OW".

That's what he said!!

However, I did just watch a POV of BD, and it doesn't look "that" bad. However, I'll take everyone's word for, and just avoid the coaster for the time being!!

In response to many posts above, I rode Boulder Dash today.

It was UNBEARABLE.

I love wooden coasters and I don't think any woodie is unbearably rough (including the Holiday World woodies, Cyclone at SFOG, Hurlers, Mean Streak, Gwazi, Timberwolf, The Boss. etc.) but Boulder Dash today was awful.

Overall it isn't too bad (just very jarring) but there are multiple spots that really hurt you and the triple up near the end is so painful that I'm shocked they can operate it like that. It was the coaster I was most excited about on my Northeast trip and we rode it twice and decided not to ride it anymore. It was that bad. I honestly think the park shouldn't run it until they fix that one spot at least. Really the entire coaster needs retracked.

^ and ^^ Does it really ruin the experience? I haven't ever been on BD, but have looked forward to riding it someday for quite some time. Is it just as bad in the very front as it is in the back? What would you compare the feeling to? Sorry for all of the questions, just curious about this, since it's drawn such strong raves from all of my enthusiast friends that have ridden it.

It didn't ruin the entire experience for me, I'm still glad I went and would say its worth a trip in it's current condition for sure. The first half is still amazing. I just wouldn't want anyone to ride it the way it is now and come off thinking that's the way it's "supposed" to be. The one spot does effect the whole ride psychologically for me but not to the point where I wouldn't ride it. I mean this is BD we're talking about, especially at night it's the best there is. The middle was just as bad as second from the back, but neither was as bad as the very back (avoid at all costs).

The only pothole I've felt that can compare to the one on BD is one of the valleys on the Coney Island Cyclone before they'd finished retracking it. The difference is BD hits it going MUCH faster. What makes this a "very special pothole" particularly in the back row is just how slow and heavy the jack hammering is. Most potholes feel sort of like "bu-bu-bu-bu-bu-bump" like quick and light, whereas on BD it feels like "KABOOM-KABOOM-KABOOM", like the train is going to break through the track. Like others have said, it doesn't feel 100% safe. I don't think it's actually a safety issue, but like I said it hit me hard enough to knock some of the wind out of me and I'm a healthy 25 year old dude. If I was 6 years old or 66 years old, I can imagine it seriously f*cking up my day. I remember riding the Wildcat at Hershey as a tiny kid and how awful an experience it was. You're lighter and smaller so you get jostled around more. One kid before me came off BD bawling her eyes out, not saying this is the only ride I've seen that on but I really felt bad for her, knowing what she probably just went through.

It's only the one spot though. The rest of the ride is "bad but totally doable".

The triple up used to be my favorite part of the ride, but I'd be fine if they replaced it with something that will allow for the return run to be smoother. I didn't actually find the ride rough this year as I had one of my best rides ever in June.

I've gotten one snap on Lake Compounce's flyers. One. Ever. There's a long story behind it, but like any story involving getting snaps on a flying scooters ride, it sucks and isn't really worth telling. It isn't impossible, but requires a convergence of skill, luck, and an operator willing to hit the start button when the ride cycle starts to slow IMO.

I have to agree with everyone about Boulder Dash being almost unbearable. I was there July 31st and was so incredibly disappointed...the majority of the ride was probably really fast, fun and furious but the triple up was so incredibly painful it is the only thing I took away from ride. It was so bad I waited alongside the ride on the path to the rapids ride out in the rain to video a train hitting the massive pothole. You can hear the rapid SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK as the train traverses upward. My spine has sense memory whenever I watch hahaha

IMG_1424.MOV

Boulder Dash Roughness