TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Wildcat has had a few issues this year but usually it is very reliable. If it is not up by Thursday it might be concerning but It will probably be open this weekend.

I noticed yesterday that the maroon train was removed from the maintenance track so maybe they will manually put it on so they could run two trains for this weekend. The transfer track isn't finished so they would have to manually add it.

How are thursdays here around this time of year? Say for an afternoon visit? Are there any local discounts? Any tips and tricks?

Buy online and use code "DUNKINCT2016" to save a few bucks

Thanks for the code! Im probably gonna get here around 5 (planning on leaving SFNE around 4). The park closes at 8, is that enough time to get the major things out of the way?

So, yesterday I was at the park for the first time. My general impression is very positive! It's a cool small park, the rides were looking well maintened, the crew was really nice. No big lines at all (maximum wait was 25 min for Boulder Dash, and they were only running one train), even though the park was a little busy. The free soda all day long is the best thing a park could offer, really loved it. I wish the tickets were cheaper, but their focus is on families and kids and they have a lot to offer to them, and they also have the water park that I didn't tried. The theming was kinda basic but I think that's the stardand for american parks. Food was great and good value too.

I stayed at the park from 12 to 5 pm so I didnt bother to ride every single ride, got some rerides on Boulder Dash and Phobia instead. Now let's talk about coasters.

Boulder Dash: Yes, it's all true. This roller coaster is absolutely awesome. I wonder if they designed it to be like that or if something wrong but really good just happened. The first half is fun, massive laterals, but the final half is just unbelivable. Completely out of control, rough (actually it's TOO rough if you're on the back, I didnt enjoy it, but perfect in the front), you're just flying out of your seat... It's my favourite wooden coaster right now and currently #2 on my general ranking.

Phobia: It's a fun ride and more intense that what I expected! The launch is mild, but the curved ups and downs will really get you. The inversion at the top is scary with some serious hang time. And it looks BEAUTIFUL from the whole park. Really added some value to the skyline, and people we're all watching it and talking about it. Great addition.

Wildcat: Ok, I understand that's a classic ride, history, etc, but NO. The first drop is good but the rest of the ride is just rough awfulness. And I mean, REALLY ROUGH and painful. You can't enjoy the ride cause your trying not to be hurt. I think they could do something about it, please, cause the layout is fun.

Zoomerang: Positive surprise of the day. Still a boomerang after all, but this one is somehow really smooth. I also liked the colors and the trains, very beautiful.

It was a really fun day in a pleasent atmosphere. I recommend it. If you just want to do the coasters, 2 hours at the park should be enough (5 hours there and I would ride everything if I wanted to).

ps.: the Wave Swinger is back operating and FAST.

• 4 weeks later...

When I went on my second trip there it was absolutely pouring for a part of the day. When it rains very hard, they still run most of the flat rides, the water rides and their dark ride. Most of the coasters run in the rain, as long as it's not a downpour. I'm not sure what weather Phobia can handle.

According to weather.com Bristol CT has around a 50% chance of rain when the park opens and continues to be the same throughout the day. I just wanted to make sure they weren't the rain Nazis like Cedar Point is. Also Phobia is the main reason I'm going (along with Bolder Dash).

• 4 weeks later...

So the park recently has only been running one train on boulder, even on crowded days along with bad operations across most rides this year. Wild cat transfer track still isn't complete yet. Also the wildcats 2nd train is now in the infield with a car missing. Im guessing next year it will finally get those new trains.

Ok so that bump I felt on the return run of Boulder Dash two years ago has now turned into the largest pothole I've ever felt on any coaster. I mean in the back row it basically knocked the wind out of me, felt a bit like getting slapped in the chest. Still my favorite coaster of all time by a mile, but I'm not sure I'll be making the 4 hour drive again to ride it until they retrack it. I'm pretty sure that'll happen soon, I mean it's not like the park is being neglected and I certainly can't imagine them letting it get any worse.

Wild Cat is still a great ride in the center rows though. There was a slight drizzle wetting the rails on my ride and it was flying, relatively speaking. Not too rough at all, especially after riding Boulder Dash. And the airtime in the front row going over the top of Phobia -man oh man. That sequence, twist going up, airtime, then immediately into hangtime, just killer. Loved it. And the lapbar was very comfy to me, way nicer than what Knoebels got on Impulse.

I didn't find the entire return run to be rough, just a few jolts here and there, but the triple up was very rough. Hopefully they fix it during the offseason, but even with the slight roughness it is still my favorite coaster ever.

The last time I went to the park last August, and I thought the triple-up was awesome! It throws you around a lot and it's insane, and the roughness really adds to that. But even with that being said, having some parts re-tracked would be great. I'm pretty sure it got some track work done a few seasons ago, but Palace-owned parks tend to mke maintaining their wooden coasters a high priority.

I heard from the GM and others that they are going to remove the triple up. I would love to see it get retracked but it's not looking likely. It would be cool if they turned it into just two hills, I wouldn't want to see the trick track back.

GCI told them to install more ledgers on the triple up and they did it in two spots but it made the ride worse so they took off one of them. It was one of my favorite parts of the ride, but it's completely unbearable now.

The rest of the ride is awesome and I got some crazy fast rides on it today. Most of the ride is very smooth if you sit in a front row.

I heard from the GM and others that they are going to remove the triple up. I would love to see it get retracked but it's not looking likely. It would be cool if they turned it into just two hills, I wouldn't want to see the trick track back.

GCI told them to install more ledgers on the triple up and they did it in two spots but it made the ride worse so they took off one of them. It was one of my favorite parts of the ride, but it's completely unbearable now.

The rest of the ride is awesome and I got some crazy fast rides on it today. Most of the ride is very smooth if you sit in a front row.

Yeah I would prefer no triple up to how it is now. It makes it harder to enjoy the return run because the whole time you're thinking "I know it's coming, I know it's coming, where is it -THERE IT IS OW".

At the park yesterday for the first time. Been looking forward to Boulder Dash for many, many years.

Amazing layout, fantastic ride overall. Until...

That triple down massacre!

Wow, that is so so bad. Honestly, who in their right mind signs off on this ride each morning? That literally is a safety issue at this point. We rode it twice (front and back) and we were done. It is the worst tracking issue, pothole or whatever you want to call it I've ever experienced. It's violent.

Too bad that part alone ruins the entire ride experience, as someone else mentioned all you can think of is how to brace for it all ride.

Phobia was an awesome ride though, surprised how quick and crew was working it as well. Super freaky ride, loved it.

At the park yesterday for the first time. Been looking forward to Boulder Dash for many, many years.

Amazing layout, fantastic ride overall. Until...

That triple down massacre!

Wow, that is so so bad. Honestly, who in their right mind signs off on this ride each morning? That literally is a safety issue at this point. We rode it twice (front and back) and we were done. It is the worst tracking issue, pothole or whatever you want to call it I've ever experienced. It's violent.

Too bad that part alone ruins the entire ride experience, as someone else mentioned all you can think of is how to brace for it all ride.

Phobia was an awesome ride though, surprised how quick and crew was working it as well. Super freaky ride, loved it.

I would'nt go as far as saying it ruins the entire ride experience. Its still a top tier wooden rollercoaster.

Edited by Jcoaster

^ and ^^ Does it really ruin the experience? I haven't ever been on BD, but have looked forward to riding it someday for quite some time. Is it just as bad in the very front as it is in the back? What would you compare the feeling to? Sorry for all of the questions, just curious about this, since it's drawn such strong raves from all of my enthusiast friends that have ridden it.