TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

How crowded does this place get on Sundays in may? (besides mothers day weekend) I gotta make a trip up there. I went on tempesto but I was there right after it had opened and the lines were so long that I don't even really remember the ride. Plus I need to get on boulder dash.

Quick question: how easy is it to snap the Flying Scooters at Lake Compounce?

A lot of people say that they are difficult to snap, even though it's a Bisch Rocco flyer. I was able to do extreme snapping on every ride I got on it, but then again, I'm a pretty experienced cable snapper. For most people it may take a while to get it snapping, but they're 1000 x easier to snap than the pussified Larson flyers.

They are the single crappiest flying Scooters I've ever ridden. Absolutely, bar none, undisputed worst pieces of crap ever. If you can snap those you're a legend.

I don't know I think you'd have better luck with a crappy Larson though by the sounds of it the guy above me is much better than I am. The only ones I'm able to snap are at KD, Carowinds and of course Knoebels.

A lot of people say that they are difficult to snap, even though it's a Bisch Rocco flyer. I was able to do extreme snapping on every ride I got on it, but then again, I'm a pretty experienced cable snapper. For most people it may take a while to get it snapping, but they're 1000 x easier to snap than the pussified Larson flyers.

There's a pretty good reason for that...the tubs are not original to the ride. This ride came from Idora Park (and West View before that), and Kennywood kept it in storage for a while before operating it for a year and a half, after which it came to you guys. Right before Kennywood added it, they sent their tubs to Seabreeze, who'd lost theirs in their 1994 fire that destroyed their carousel and arcade. So they had to get new tubs made before it could be installed.

They are the single crappiest flying Scooters I've ever ridden. Absolutely, bar none, undisputed worst pieces of crap ever. If you can snap those you're a legend.

I don't know I think you'd have better luck with a crappy Larson though by the sounds of it the guy above me is much better than I am. The only ones I'm able to snap are at KD, Carowinds and of course Knoebels.

Try the flying scooters at Canobie Those are the worst IMO. I snapped the ones at LC once on my first ride, a huge one, but that was the only time.

Wow, so, opening day...

I apologize in advance if this seems overly negative; I hate to just bitch about any park, especially my home park. I very rarely have anything bad to say about it, but...opening day, from what I saw, was an absolute disaster like I've never seen in more than fifteen years of regularly attending LC, not even counting the weather, which was miserable and kept crowds to a pitiful minimum for opening of a major new coaster.

To start the day off, ten minutes before the gates were due to open, we were still waiting to get into the parking lot. I assume they couldn't get the register system at the parking booths working; when they finally let us in, we were getting free parking because they couldn't take payments. Nice for us, not for the park.

Trying to buy my season pass, the girl at the ticket booth had no idea at all how to use the register there. She couldn't get anything to work, had to ask for help from another employee several times, didn't know how to take a credit card, didn't know how to enter an address that has an apartment number, couldn't figure out which fields were actually required. It seemed to be the same in every booth; despite there being almost no one there, it took forever to to get in.

Multiple rides weren't ready for opening day; Wave Swinger was still in pieces; Sawmill Plunge wasn't ready (not that we needed water rides with weather providing plenty of wet). Phobia was "fashionably late" opening, but no big deal there. Boulder Dash was not running all that well, quite slow, though that's more weather than the park's fault. Unfortunately, it went down a couple hours into the day. Zoomerang was also down for a while, and Phobia had issues a few times, until the Premiere guys had to come look at it and we were told not to wait for it, it would be down for "at least a while." I don't know if it ever reopened.

Our group had lunch at Pinks'; out of five hot dogs between us, three were made incorrectly (not special orders or anything, just missing toppings). The Dippin' Dots booth was worth; the girls working there didn't seem to know what they had or how to make it. They took several orders then entirely forgot about making them. The woman in front of me ordered a sundae of some sort, then was forgotten, when she finally asked the girls there if it was coming, she got a confused look and was told they don't have the ingredients to make what she ordered. She told them she'd already paid for it, and just got a confused look in return.

No one had any idea how to use the photo system. One of the people in my group tried to buy a photo at Boulder Dash, and was told they couldn't use the printers there, so he'd have to go to Zoomers and have it printed there. We tried that, and no one there could figure it out either. They had us go to another photo booth, where we were told "the printers just don't work well" and left waiting for a half hour while six employees tried to figure out how to print to a magnet. He did finally get the magnets, along with a ton of free regular pictures that they had accidentally printed out while trying to make magnets.

It wasn't all bad there; Phobia really is a great addition to the park; looks great, and it fits in beautifully. I wasn't sure how they were going to make it look good in that spot, but they did an amazing job with it, and it's so much more fun to ride than I'd ever though it could be from looking at it. Wildcat is running the best it ever has in fifteen years or more; it's gone from a spine-cracking torture device to an absolutely fantastic classic coaster. As a couple people mentioned, the American Flyers are running pretty well now; far from anything like Knoebels, but worth riding, at least! A lot of the little bits of scenery and touch-up work at the park is paying off, and it looks better than it ever has.

It just seems like, perhaps because of the focus on Phobia, there seems to have been a surprising lack of staff training this year. LC's always been run incredibly well, but it was absolute chaos all day all over the park...either that, or it was just following me everywhere I went. Even with tiny crowds, no one seemed to be able to keep up; if the weather and crowds had been better...I can't even imagine. Disappointing, but I'll be back in a few weeks, I'm sure, so hopefully there will be a big difference by then...and hopefully the weather is better to the park, too.

650360672_PhobiaOpening.thumb.jpg.5f3af775e3be3ae4d0dc82bc1ca09c31.jpg

The was most of the line for the Phobia opening; it only went a few dozen people behind us at 11:30, and that was the majority of people in the park at the time...

I was there on Opening Day. My first Boulder Dash experience. That's SLOW for it!? I must be in for a real treat later in the year!

At least when I rode it, a bit after noon, yes, that was quite slow for it. On a better day, when it's warmer, it's amazing!