TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

I am planning a possible combo trip of here and Six Flags NE on July 4th weekend. I know I can probably expect major crowds at SF (mainly going there for Bizarro) but I was wondering how crowded this park gets, and also if it's worth a full day. It seems surprisingly small given how old it is (super psyched for BD though).

I find it worth a full day but it can get crowded especially on july 4th

I hate to ask this but how crowded are we talking? If it's going to be like a two hour wait for BD then I'm not sure we'll bother.

HEADS UP: Boulder Dash will be closed til' Tuesday, they are waiting for a part to come in.

I hope that it is fixed on time as I'll be there for a school trip on Tuesday.

Edited by larrygator

I'm going to be there tomorrow as well. Just drove four hours and am now seeing the updates about Boulder Dash. Grrrrr...

And it never opened today, still waiting on a part. I'm not feeling good about tomorrow, because quite frankly Boulder Dash is the only thing I really love at the park. Looks like I might be riding a lot of flats.

I was originally going to do LC tomorrow and SFNE Wednesday, but I think I'm going to switch it up in order to buy me an insurance day so they can hopefully get it back up in time. I really hope they do, I've never been there and was looking forward to this specific coaster for months.

^Not many flats. I realised that the park lacks tons of thrill. A lot of the flats they call thrills (twister, wipeout, pirate, the rapids) are very tame. The only true thrill rides are down time, enterprise and T&L. I guess you can count revolution as well. I found myself really enjoying wildcat. We lapped it and it was the ride we rode the most. Zoomerang is smooth too so that wasn't bad.

I was originally going to do LC tomorrow and SFNE Wednesday, but I think I'm going to switch it up in order to buy me an insurance day so they can hopefully get it back up in time. I really hope they do, I've never been there and was looking forward to this specific coaster for months.

I would definitely switch it. The park said they had the part on Sunday but today the said they were still waiting. Hopefully it will be open soon.

My brother said that he saw BD do three test runs while in the water park. I would say it is good to go for tomorrow!

Must have happened late in the day, I left the park at 5pm and never saw/heard it running

IMG_20140624_163413.thumb.jpg.755d348131249ac1e292081b65a6356c.jpg

and this was the best thing that happened all day. The Funnel cake stand near Down Time serves an Ice Cream Nacho dessert.

IMG_20140624_151508.thumb.jpg.e50ba0275d9b0ae7488613aaa5fc4c79.jpg

Looks just like the picture and tasted great. I told then to hold the cherry.

Edited by larrygator

Bear Creek Campground is set to open on July 1st

http://bristolpress.com/articles/2014/06/27/news/doc53ae1885adba6523578258.txt

Lake Compounce’s Bear Creek Campground set to open

Friday, June 27, 2014 9:24 PM EDT

By BRIAN M. JOHNSON

Bristol Press

BRISTOL — Lake Compounce’s newest attraction, Bear Creek Campground, will hold its grand opening July 1.

The 15-acre campground will complement the historical 168-year-old Lake Compounce Amusement Park and newly added Crocodile Cove Water Park. The rustic recreation site features log cabins, mason lighting, and artfully crafted bear and eagle totems.

However, those who come to Bear Creek won’t have to leave the amenities of home far behind. The campground features free WiFi and direct TV, 20 fully furnished cabins that sleep up to 10 people each, 24 RV sites with water and electricity hook ups and 30 tent sites. Each campsite is equipped with a picnic table and campfire pit. There are also laundromats, individual showers and 24-hour bathrooms. There will be weekly family-friendly activities including kickball and watergun fights. Campers can find all the supplies they need at Bear Creek Lodge, which contains a general store and lounge.

“Guests can turn a trip to Lake Compounce into a family vacation because they now have the option of staying overnight,” said Jerry Brick, general manager. “They can enjoy the theme park and water park and also spend time visiting other popular sites in Connecticut as well. An added benefit is the ability for campers to spend time in the park and return to their campsites at their convenience throughout their stay.”

According to Brick, the land for the campsite was purchased in 2006. A feasibility study was conducted two years ago and it was determined they could open this year. Brick said the camp could serve 700 people fully booked and there are still 70 acres of land which can be used for future expansion.

“It’s very exciting to be opening up, it was a lot of work,” said Brick.

Bear Creek Campground sites must be reserved in advance at cambbearcreek.com. People may park their cars at the campgrounds, but RVs must be rented from Crowley Auto at 9 Barber St, Bristol, Sites start at $35 per night. Campers may purchase heavily discounted tickets to Lake Compounce Theme Park and Crocodile Cove Water Park upon checking in. Group rates are also available. For more information, call (860) 583-3300, ext.6905 or visit campbearcreek.com.

^Thank God that they have opened this campground!

Hopefully this will put that horribly strange backwoods campground (that we stayed at a few years back) out of business.

I was thinking of you when I posted this news.

I'm going to be heading to Lake Compounce on a weekday at the end of July or early August and was planning on hitting up Quassy on the same day. I was hoping someone on here could give me suggestions on the best way to experience both parks.

-Which park should I start with/end with? Does it make any sense to start at LC and go to Quassy, then back to LC? Or, should I start at one park and end at the other? I'll be driving from Hopkinton, MA if that makes any difference.

-Are either of the water parks worth the time?

-Does it make sense to get an all day ride bracelet at Quassy, or should I just buy individual ride tickets for the two coasters.

-On the credit whoring circuit, do either of the kiddie coasters at both parks require a little one to ride?

-Any food things I should try out at either of the parks, or on the way to/from the parks?

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I'm really looking forward to riding Boulder Dash and Wooden Warrior.

I tried to do both parks a few weeks back... Sadly QL was closed to a private party...

Both parks are definitely doable in one day. I would suggest doing QL first, since it is truly small compared to other parks of the region...

I really enjoyed LC. The rides are pretty good, and it was a nice park to just hang around! I can't speak for the water parks as they aren't really my thing. What I can say is that the gonada ride was MAGNIFICENT. I suggest doing it late afternoon when the mountain is blocking the sun, make sure you have some really odd questions for the person who spends their shift sitting at the top of the ride...

I would suggest LC first then Quassy no doubt. The reason being that Quassy has a great sunset wristband deal. At 5 they offer them for $11.

As for credit whoring I believe you need to be under 56 inches for LC's kiddie coaster but I don't think Quassy has a requirement.

Depends what day you go I guess. I would suggest Quassy then LC. Boulder Dash runs better later on and a night ride is a must. Better yet, make your first ride in the front seat at night, you won't be disappointed lol.

LC does have a after 5 ticket for $20 but if they are only open till 8 it is kinda weak. But I would just hit the two coasters at quassy (maybe a few extra rides on ww) then head to LC.

Also if you go Fri-Sun they have a sick new light show, really cool, the video I took doesn't do it justice

^Thank God that they have opened this campground!

Hopefully this will put that horribly strange backwoods campground (that we stayed at a few years back) out of business.

I was thinking of you when I posted this news.

Thanks Larry!

I still hope to get back to this park to get on Boulder Dash at night and perhaps have some more time to spend in the water park. I especially enjoyed the water slides that emptied into the lake....very unique for a US park to have something like this.