TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Would anyone be game for Lake Compounce on Saturday, Aug 17?

It looks like I'll be heading up to SFNE on that Sunday and while in the area!

I was a little let down I only got 1 ride on Boulder Dash and it was cool and rainy which I think may have impacted it...ride was a bit of a let down I have heard rain will do that so I'm hoping for more rides and better weather!

I was just at the park the other day and I got to ride both wildcat and boulder dash multiple times. Wildcat was amazing on the retracked area, first drop is suprisingly good now. Otherwise it was HORRIBLY rough. The have really let boulder dash get rough as well. It was strange because we rode in the middle of the train, in the back row of the 3rd car, and it was unbearably rough.. probably the roughest coaster I have ever ridden. But after that we only rode in the back car front row, and every ride was incredibly fast paced and smooth! I warn you though, those wheel seats are cursed this year. The very back row was ok, but any wheel seat in the middle of the train was simply unbearable.

I was there on Sunday evening. The lines for wildcat, boulder dash and the shooting haunted house were each about a half hour. The haunted house's line moved painfully slow.

Boulder was as great as always. I almost lost my keys which would not have been fun. I found wildcat to be boring in the front and crazy in the back, but as long as you were in the middle of a car it wasn't painful.

I was just at the park the other day and I got to ride both wildcat and boulder dash multiple times. Wildcat was amazing on the retracked area, first drop is suprisingly good now. Otherwise it was HORRIBLY rough. The have really let boulder dash get rough as well. It was strange because we rode in the middle of the train, in the back row of the 3rd car, and it was unbearably rough.. probably the roughest coaster I have ever ridden. But after that we only rode in the back car front row, and every ride was incredibly fast paced and smooth! I warn you though, those wheel seats are cursed this year. The very back row was ok, but any wheel seat in the middle of the train was simply unbearable.

I was there yesterday and felt the exact same way about both the woodies. I rode in the middle of the back car on the Wildcat and the first drop was really good and had a hint of air-time. Then the first turnaround was good. But then the old Wildcat revealed itself and was incredibly rough and jerky. One of my friends cut his knee during our ride.

Then Boulder Dash is still amazing. I remember it being amazing, but it was even better than I remembered and vaulted El Toro on my top wooden coaster list (it's still behind the Coney Island Cyclone though). The speed is incredible and there is so much air-time throughout the course. Parts of the ride were a bit bumpy though. I rode in the front of the 3rd car and while it was rougher than the front or back cars, it wasn't that bad and I was still able to reride it shortly after.

Had a great day at LC on Saturday this past weekend! Hadn't been to this park in about 3 or 4 years. Weather was gorgeous, but the park wasn't too crowded, and we were able to re-ride just about everything we wanted at least twice.

After reading some of the recent comments about Boulder Dash, I was curious to see how the ride would be. I did rides in both the front and back. The front seat was amazing, just like I remembered it. Fast, tons of air, and very smooth. The back, however, was noticeably much rougher, and it beat us up a bit. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't pleasant (or as much fun as the front). I guess that's par for the course though, as far as BD getting older. It still is one of my favorite wooden coasters, and even though some seats are a little rougher now, it's still one of the best. The only thing that really irritated me about BD was that they were only running one train. I know I said above that the crowds were light, but when most of that crowd is in line for BD, it's a long wait.

Didn't bother to do Wildcat or Zoomerang, since I've done those in the past, and didn't feel the need to re-live either of them. I overheard conversations in at least 3 different ride lines where people were complaining about being hurt on Wildcat.

Rode Down Time four times in a row since there was no line. I love drop towers, and prefer them to launch towers, so it was one of my favorite parts of the day. I don't think I've ever not had to wait for a tower before.

The park looked great, ride ops were efficient and friendly, and the food was good (gotta love the free drinks). Will definitely make a point to get there more often!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I rode Boulder Dash last night for the first time in over 2.5 years and had some of the best rides I can remember. Really hauled through the woods!

I went Friday night, and rode Boulder Dash twice. First time was at dusk when the sun was just setting...and the second time was at about 9:30 right before I left. That last ride was BY far the best coaster experience I have ever had. It had just rained which lubed up the tracks, and the train was out of control!

I am going to lake compounce for the first time next Sunday, is their Halloween event very busy Sundays? I will probably just do the park this time because its my first time there. Other than the coasters is there anything in particular I should check out,I know they have a shooting dark ride but is there any other flats worth riding?

I am going to lake compounce for the first time next Sunday, is their Halloween event very busy Sundays? I will probably just do the park this time because its my first time there. Other than the coasters is there anything in particular I should check out,I know they have a shooting dark ride but is there any other flats worth riding?

Thunder and Lightning is pretty solid. It's a small family park, so don't expect any exorbitant thrills other than Boulder Dash

• 3 weeks later...

Little trip report from my visit yesterday.

I finally got a chance to go up to this park since my friend goes to college near there. We didn't get there until around 7 and didn't get in the park until 7:30 so we were on limited time.

We came mainly for Boulder Dash and the Haunted Graveyard so we made sure we did those. But first we started with Wildcat. Wasn't expecting much out of it but I have to say it was a pleasant surprise. It was a rough ride in a good way. I had more appreciation for it since it's one of the oldest operating coasters in the world. It also ended up making my top 10 woodie list.

After waiting 30 minutes for Wildcat, we waited an hour for Boulder Dash. I was hoping Boulder Dash would live up to the hype. Boy did it ever! The speed and intensity of the coaster were some of the best I've ever experienced. I loved how it took advantage of the woods surrounding the ride to make the experience better. The only bad thing I would say about the ride is that it had less airtime than I was expecting. For that reason it's only my #4 woodie instead of #2 but I still love the ride.

Then we did Haunted Graveyard. I wasn't really interested in this but my friends were so I did it and now I'm really glad they talked me into it. LC did a phenomenal job on this. Lots of details they mastered, great costumes used as camouflage for scarers and you get your money's worth with this being 45 minutes.

Overall I'd say LC has a very nice family park on their hands. They have nostalgia as well by reminding you they're the oldest operating park, their entrance sets you up so well for the Graveyard and how can you not love free sodas?! Unfortunately those are the only 3 things I did due to short time and long lines so I hope to come back here soon to experience the rest of the park!

Were they running one or two trains in the coasters? When I was there a few weeks ago, they only had one train on each, but I haven't see hour long lines for boulder in a looking time.

It's a great park, glad you enjoyed your visit. Thanks for the report.

Were they running one or two trains in the coasters? When I was there a few weeks ago, they only had one train on each, but I haven't see hour long lines for boulder in a looking time.

Unfortunately both coasters were 1 train operation which seemed to significantly increase the wait time. Boulder Dash definitely needed 2 trains. The wait for that was all the way back to the entrance.

one train operations irritate me to no end. I understand it's done so the maintenance crew can save time/money by not having to keep up with both trains...but it is SO inefficient. If you're only open 5 hours, make the guests your first priority. PLEASEEEE

The ride has been having a problem with the lift hill motor for a while now. They were running one train for most of October and it sometimes goes very slow up the lift. The last few weeks they also had to wait a certain amount of time before a dispatch. I am sure they wanted to run two trains but if they did the ride would definitely break down. The ride stopped multiple times on the lift even with one train. Hopefully next year will bring a new motor

Wildcat should have been running two trains also. It actually wasn't even supposed to be open in October but opened when BD was down most of the weekend 3 weeks ago. Both trains should have been running but they are probably trying to keep the new track in good shape until they get new trains. The red train was also off the tracks last week.

The ride has been having a problem with the lift hill motor for a while now. They were running one train for most of October and it sometimes goes very slow up the lift. The last few weeks they also had to wait a certain amount of time before a dispatch. I am sure they wanted to run two trains but if they did the ride would definitely break down. The ride stopped multiple times on the lift even with one train. Hopefully next year will bring a new motor

I was there a couple weeks ago, and I had just gotten in line at like 9pm, when they shut down the ride for the evening. Everyone was exiting, so I waited until everyone left the line and talked to one of the ride-ops. He hinted that it's a software problem...and not a problem with the motor itself. They have to keep re-booting the computer system because it shuts down randomly when a train is climbing the lift.

There were sooo many people who were pissed about not being able to ride boulder-dash....because in reality, that coaster is the sole attraction for MANY people.

I think it might be both. The last two weeks the ride ops had to wait a certain amount of time before dispatching the train, which is clearly giving the motor some time to cool down. It may also be a computer problem because I saw it stop on the lift randomly three different times and start going again about a minute later. It is definitly a motor problem though, it has been going much slower. Also they were running one train when the line was to the dippin dots stand and obviously they would have had two on if the motor was fine.

also this is right from their FB page--we replaced the drive back in September and it has been giving us problems ever since.

The only time I saw two train op in October was on the third Saturday. This was also the day of Boolder-dash Bash. The park also seemed to be the most crowded it has ever been in Ocotober with the line for the Graveyard past Waveswinger . They should really make an overflow line through kiddieland or something.

I was there Friday, October 18. Once I got to the park around 7, I immediately went on Boulder Dash. The line was just before the station, but it took a little under a half hour due to a one train operation. By the time I got off, the line was stretched almost to the ride's sign. After doing the Haunted Graveyard walkthrough, which was amazing I might add, I wanted another ride on Boulder Dash. It was around 9 pm and the park was running two trains. Trains were being dispatched as soon as the previous train hit the brake run; however, the lift hill did seem noticeably slower than it usually is.

I think it might be both. The last two weeks the ride ops had to wait a certain amount of time before dispatching the train, which is clearly giving the motor some time to cool down. It may also be a computer problem because I saw it stop on the lift randomly three different times and start going again about a minute later. It is definitly a motor problem though, it has been going much slower. Also they were running one train when the line was to the dippin dots stand and obviously they would have had two on if the motor was fine.

also this is right from their FB page--we replaced the drive back in September and it has been giving us problems ever since.

The only time I saw two train op in October was on the third Saturday. This was also the day of Boolder-dash Bash. The park also seemed to be the most crowded it has ever been in Ocotober with the line for the Graveyard past Waveswinger . They should really make an overflow line through kiddieland or something.

I was there that night. There must have been 1500-2000 people in the line for the Graveyard. In 2 hours of ride time I got in one ride on BD, Wildcat, and Enterprise.