TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

The Wildcat's bunny hills look like they should have air, but they never have which is a shame. In my last visit, the Wildcat was pretty bumpy. However, earlier in the 2000s, the Wildcat was very smooth throughout; it just wasn't all that exciting since there wasn't any air or good speed. So even with a rehab to smooth out the ride, I'm not quite sure how much better it will get.

I went to OkBoulderFest on Saturday. The park gave us a tour of Wildcat. The park has been slowly replacing the structure with larger timber, and it looks like they really take good care of the coaster.

This offseason (which already started for Wildcat) they hope to have the feat drop and part of the first turn rebuilt, but it's more than they can handle in house. They are also looking to get new trains.

I am continually impressed by this park. The operations are friendly and efficient. The park was extremely clean. It is also obvious they really care about their rides.

IMG_0145.thumb.jpg.67782fb3cb29ccdc85df990bbefdb662.jpg

Portion park wants to replace (To the first flag)

IMG_0142.thumb.jpg.057fab36504fed84b6bb0d968fcdc178.jpg

IMG_0156.thumb.jpg.2c789bac3f592374ad2ad46620a00124.jpg

IMG_0158.thumb.jpg.e3e2c04c4dd665d7bb51bec04328e47f.jpg

The turnaround anchor looks like it is anchored with two old tire rims.

Edited by Moose

• 2 weeks later...

Below is the article. No word on a timetable for approval but Lake Compounce would not complete the expansion for several years.

http://southington.patch.com/articles/camping-at-compounce-could-soon-be-a-possibility

Camping at Compounce Could Soon Be A Possibility

By Jason Vallee

Representatives of Lake Compounce came before the Southington Planning and Zoning Commission Tuesday with an application to develop a camp site on the northeastern portion of their property.

Lake Compounce is looking to expand again and this time the plan could provide the facilities necessary to make New England’s oldest and longest running theme park an overnight destination.

But it’s not a hotel the park is looking for.

Representatives of Lake Compounce came before the Southington Planning and Zoning Commission Tuesday night with a site plan for the development of a campground to the northeast of the amusement park, one which would include a combination of campers and cabins designed to accommodate the needs of out-of-state visitors.

“Each year as we’ve done our surveys and data collection, one thing that has really stood out is that more and more people are coming to the park from out of state,” said Jerry Brick, general manager at Lake Compounce.

The plan calls for the phased development of a 30-acre portion of the Lake Compounce property, located to the northwest of the park on the old Norton property said Andrew Quirk, principal and professional engineer with Kratzert, Jones & Associates. The plan calls for the eventual development of 34 cabins and a total of 94 sites to house campers.

In the middle of the complex, a welcome center will serve as a meeting point for guests and provide bathroom and shower facilities.

The plan is part of an ongoing expansion that is designed to attract new guests to the park, Quirk said. The new facilities will contain many of the luxury amenities provided by a hotel, he said, but with the experience of camping out.

“It’s a popular and growing trend right now,” Quirk said. “How we develop will depend on the market. The cabins are the more popular choice right now, so we may consider building those first, maybe 20 in all.”

A few neighbors expressed concerns Tuesday over noise and hikers, but both Brick and Quirk spent time with them outside the meeting and agreed to make sure these concerns are addressed. Commissioners anonymously approved a special permit use, saying the use conformed to the plan for the area, but the site plan itself was tabled for further review.

Brick said the site plan is just the first step in a long process of acquiring local and state approvals and construction is not likely to begin for a year yet “at the earliest.”

The entire site would involve a multi-million dollar expansion and is not likely to be completed for several years.

“We want to be a complete package. We want the park to truly become a destination for people to visit and with the Halloween program, the Christmas celebration and now this, we are putting the pieces together to do so over the next several years,” Brick said.

Edited by jedimaster1227

I live fairly close to the park, easily within day-trip distance, so I'd have no real need to stay overnight...

...buuut I'd do it anyway without a moment's extra thought! I really hope this goes through, I can't wait to see it if it does. Now they just need to expand the park itself a bit more to make it worth staying more than a day (and that's coming!).

The linked article had a picture with a map in it:

Compounce.jpg.50700a8ecbb799b50081e774ca4b0f0b.jpg

From Southington.patch.com

But the map was so zoomed in I couldn't figure out where this was going to be located. I looked at the Google satellite view and found what looks to be a match. It appears to be at the back of the parking lot, on the left as you drive in on the access road.

401360801_compouncecamping.jpg.9ec5b4c06bbdc601de382f61ae9efdc7.jpg

I have mad MSPaint Skillz

I think it's a good move for the park, It's doubtful they would ever be able to use this land for attractions,

I can't be the only one that thought this said "Lake Compounce files for bankruptcy" at first.

I know that the only reason people in my area go to parks like Darien Lake is because of the campground, so I'm pretty confident this will do well! Really hoping I can make it out to Compounce soon!

I can't be the only one that thought this said "Lake Compounce files for bankruptcy" at first.

I know that the only reason people in my area go to parks like Darien Lake is because of the campground, so I'm pretty confident this will do well! Really hoping I can make it out to Compounce soon!

Nope, you're not. I saw the first words of the headline and nearly went into shock.

Lake Compounce is a wonderful park situated in a beautiful location, so camping there would likely be an awesome experience. Plus several other parks have successfully integrated camping/RV parks into their properties (Knoebels, Indiana Beach, etc...), so this seems like a positive step with some historical success to back it.

• 1 month later...