TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Space Mountain 2 opening event photos

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, let me get this straight...Disney wanted to a modern version of space mountain in Europe, with high speed and inversions, they had so many choices as to who could design the thing, and they pick Vekoma???

I've never been able to figure that out. It's amazing they even found time to do this for disney in the midst of designing so many boomerang clones for parks around the world. lol.

Seriously though, what were you thinking Disney? You should have gone with B&M or at least with Intamin. So much wasted potential.

well according to the article -- intamin cost quite a bit more -- I guess you pay for quality.

personally, I avoid RNR at the back -- middle front is smoothest if I recollect correctly...

that ride sounds cool...

EE is also Vekoma, maybe disney and them have a long term contract

Ok, I was finally able to read the article, and this new version does sound cool. We'll just have to see how well they can maintain this version over time.

But, if I were on this one now, the impressive effects would probably help me forget that this is a Vekoma I'm riding on, hehe.

Ok, let me get this straight...Disney wanted to a modern version of space mountain in Europe, with high speed and inversions, they had so many choices as to who could design the thing, and they pick Vekoma???

The story is like this: Mack and Intamin were to expensive and B&M was no option. No bad word about Vekoma! Vekoma rocks!

There was an article about SM:II in the free newspaper "Spits" here in Holland. Wasn't anything special... Hopefully, in ten years (For SM's 20's birthday) Disney goes back to the original Paris SM.

EDIT: some facts about Disney. Disney has to change their trains every 3 to 5 years. In the past 10 years SM hasn't got ANY new trains. A normal Vekoma train chould last about 15 to 20 years with normal opening times but at Disney, trains ride from 09:00 till 20:00 (At least!) 365 days a year. This was told to me several times by different people at Vekoma

I guess Vekoma's ok, if you've never ridden a boomerang before, but to me, B&M will always be the superior manufacturer.

The Mind Eraser, the Boomerang at Geagau like was good, but I've been on one of their SLC's (Top Gun at PCW) and it just didn't even compare to a B&M invert IMO.

To me they've always been a mediocre manufacturer, but they're at least a step up from the dreaded TOGO.

Big Thunder Mountain at DLP is also a Vekoma and that coaster is GREAT!!! I have high hopes for Expedition Everest as well. Basically, if you have a Vekoma ride with lap bars only, you're in business! Get a Vekoma with OTSR's and OUCH!!!!!

--Robb

Hi Robb,

if you think BTM at DLP is still a great Mine Train Coaster you get completely right ! At Least of the great Theming work they did ! But check out the Colorado Adventure in Phantasialand during your next ECO ( hope we can join together with all that crazy ACE and onride.de guys ) ! THIS is the wildest Mine Train and I think you will enjoy it !

Bye

Mario