TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Injury at Adventureland (IA)

From the Des Moines Register -

State agency to investigate rollercoaster injury

TOM ALEX

REGISTER STAFF WRITER

July 27, 2006

The Iowa Division of Labor Services is investigating a Monday accident in which three people were injured while riding a rollercoaster at Adventureland.

One of them, an 11-year-old girl, was hospitalized and is in fair condition with a head injury.

The girl was hurt by a falling board on the Altoona amusement park's famous Tornado rollercoaster.

The Division of Labor Services regulates amusement rides in Iowa and inspects the rides every year.

The board was left behind on lattice work by accident and eventually vibrated free and fell on the girl as she was riding the rollercoaster, according to an Adventureland spokeswoman.

The girl was not identified by Adventureland officials who provided information about the accident.

Two other riders suffered minor scrapes but did not require hospital treatment.

Molly Vincent, a spokeswoman for Adventureland in Altoona, said workers left the loose board behind on the Tornado's lattice work. The board was off to the side and above the part of the ride where the injuries occurred.

Vibration apparently released it from its perch and it struck the

girl on the head.

Vincent said the girl was alert and conscious as she left the park.

Altoona police and fire officials said earlier that they were not called to investigate.

Sorry if there's alreaady a topic about this. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Anyway, this is sort of an odd accident. Wouldn't workers have double checked the area after completing work?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very strange incident. Amazed that the maintainance crew would leave a board laying around, all though they may have thought there was no way for the board to move. My biggest fear while riding these coasters we all love is being hit by something. Large bird or like this a board. Even bugs hurt on some of the faster rides as many of you know. I cant imagine being smacked in the head by a board.

Ouch gota hurt!

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060729/NEWS08/607290358&SearchID=73252130284347

This story was in the Register today, along with the frightening picture you see here. I think I'd rather get hit by a bug.

WOW!

I cant believe the picture. Guess I didnt expect it to be as bad as the picture shows. Dam-near tore off the side of her head.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060729/NEWS08/607290358&SearchID=73252130284347

This story was in the Register today, along with the frightening picture you see here. I think I'd rather get hit by a bug.

WOW!

I cant believe the picture. Guess I didnt expect it to be as bad as the picture shows. Dam-near tore off the side of her head.

You try running into a two by four at that speed. It does a bit of damage, see.

Anyway, isn't it a bad sign when maintenance work makes the ride MORE dangerous?

-ACE

wow...how many injuries are going to happen throughout the rest of the season??

There's only been 4 deaths this year, not much.

4 deaths? Not much? There shouldn't even be 1 death.[;)]

wow...how many injuries are going to happen throughout the rest of the season??

There's only been 4 deaths this year, not much.

4 deaths? Not much? There shouldn't even be 1 death.