TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Metallica Album

metrock

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could the album be any worse that St. Anger???? Kudos for using Rick Rubin, he's been making bands sound great for years from Slayer to the Dixie Chicks to Danzig to Johnny Cash. Robert Trujillo was also bass player for Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves - love that guy.

they won't even licence thier music to Itunes,
They do now

Well damn, your right, but I can't be blamed for missing it, they struck the deal a few days ago, and I say its about damn time

Sorry, but as a LONG time listener of Metallica, St. Anger was terrible

and Metallica were not "cool" with the whole bootleg thing, they were straight out assholes, they won't even licence thier music to Itunes, or any other legit music sites

The joy of being a metal lord, and a pompus ass

Chris, remember when St. Anger was rushed out because of the bootleg thing and they shipped out faulty CDs? I don't think I recall having to return a CD before that incident.

Sorry, but as a LONG time listener of Metallica, St. Anger was terrible

and Metallica were not "cool" with the whole bootleg thing, they were straight out assholes, they won't even licence thier music to Itunes, or any other legit music sites

The joy of being a metal lord, and a pompus ass

Chris, remember when St. Anger was rushed out because of the bootleg thing and they shipped out faulty CDs? I don't think I recall having to return a CD before that incident.

Well, I'm just happy they decided to wise up, I am enjoying some good old Metallica from I-Tunes

I think its just frustrating to hear the great songwriting, and then listen to St. Anger, it is awfull, from both a songwriting stand point, and a complete disgrace from a production standpoint

I really do hope hope hope the new album is better, I would be happy with a re-reload

• 3 weeks later...

I can't stand Metallica... I hate the guys voice, and "Enter Sandman" got played WAY too much...

Plus the band is in it only for the money:

(Indirect quote, but what he really said)

"Well, now we're seeing that digital downloading is they way of the future, so even though we sued Napster and are against downloading music, I guess we'll sell our songs on iTunes... at least we're still getting money out of it!"

It was OK, does any one remember what "old school" Metallica sounds like??

'Cause neither of the new songs sound "Old School" to me.

They still sound a bit like "Anger" B-sides to me...

oh, whoah...whoa...whoa....OH, yeah....whoa whoa...???

Although about 2 min. into the second new song, now that sounded like real 'Tallica to me, solo and all.

But then it ended about a min. after that, Oh well.

P All "Oh, whoah...whoa...whoa....oh, yeah...whoa whoa...???"

^ Thank you.

This is definately post Black Album Metallica style.

I'd be happy if they went back to pre-black album Metallica, but lets be honest, they couldn't pull that off now.

Lars can't play worth shit anymore ... and James ... start drinking again because you sang WAY better when you were drunk.

And I don't want to hear a Metallica song with 5 million Woah's in it.

Lets not forget that this song is a work in progesss. Why they played it live? I have no idea. It was nothing more than a jam with a few lyrics. for those wondering why James kept singing "woah", its because there are no lyrics writen for that part of the song yet. If this song does make the cut for the album, don't expect any "woah's" As a matter of fact, goo download some of metallica's other demo songs from Load, etc. They were filled with "woah's"

I've heard all their stuff and I used to love their music (I still love alot of the old stuff). Then they put out St. Anger and I was sooooooooo Shocked that they would release something sooooooo ****n' CRAPPY! And " The New Song" sounds even S***ier than that. I hope they clean up their act soon, cuase as a long time fan I don't know how much more dissapointment I can take.

• 5 months later...

*UPDATE* Metallica is just about to start recording the 9th album. There are also palns for an "escape from the studio" tour in July Here is what they had to say. from metallica.com

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=600122

Greetings from not so sunny Northern California. We know that things have been pretty quiet here in web-land, so we thought we'd throw some shit your way... here goes...

We are finishing up the last couple weeks of pre-production on the album and... really... seriously...(drumroll)... we're going to start recording on March 12th. We're pretty fuckin' psyched about it and pretty fuckin' psyched to be sharing this experience with Rick.

But wait... there's more. We kinda sorta figured that by the time June rolled around, we would be ready for a break from recording (escape??) and since we had so much fun in Europe last summer, we thought "why not go back for some more fun and games?" We're planning to share the summer love with our friends in some different countries we didn't get to last year.. okay, fuck it, maybe one or two repeats. We haven't quite worked out all the details yet, but we thought that for once we really would be the first site to break a piece of Metallica news.

So keep your eyes open for more details in the next few.. the plan right now is to head out in late June and hang out for a couple/three weeks. We might even do a certain festival that we've played 19 times in July that starts with a "W," maybe hit a certain band member's home turf... blah, blah, blah.

It's a start . . . .

And from blabbermouth.net

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=66980

METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich recently spoke to Rolling Stone magazine (web site) about the songwriting process for the group's new album, tentatively due later this year.

When asked the titles of the new songs his band is about to record for its next album, Ulrich said. "Right now, most of them are called cities, I kid you, not! Casper, Fresno, Munich, Glasgow — that seemed the easiest way to identify them."

Ulrich, singer-guitarist James Hetfield, guitarist Kirk Hammett and bassist Rob Trujillo began work on the follow up to 2003's "St. Anger" while on tour during the past year backstage before each show. "We did something we'd never done before: We carried a ProTools (recording) system with us," Ulrich said. "Twenty minutes before stage time, we would go into a room and play, to get the machinery moving. They were jams, riffs, fun and games. And they were recorded.

"That's where ninety-five percent of this record came from," Ulrich added. "The working titles are the geographical locations where they came up."

According to Ulrich, the group's new producer Rick Rubin (SLAYER, SYSTEM OF A DOWN, AUDIOSLAVE, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS) says he wants to make the group sound "like the METALLICA that made them METALLICA without going backward" — and that he's doing it by challenging old habits.

"He's questioning what key we should play in," Ulrich told Rolling Stone. "We've played in E flat since the beginning of the '90s. Nobody questioned it. All of a sudden, Rick is going, 'Maybe the stuff has more energy and Hetfield's voice sounds better in E.' He's forced us to rethink big-picture stuff, something we haven't done in years."

Rubin also insisted that METALLICA rehearse and learn the material until, as Ulrich puts it, "we can play these songs in our sleep, standing on our heads. "With Bob [Rock, METALLICA's longtime producer], we'd go into the studio when we had some concrete ideas. But Rick wants us to take care of all the creative elements first. He wants us to capture these songs in a recording environment instead of creating them there."

Spending money at Art Galleries? I know that Lars just sold off a bunch of artwork. Is that what you are thinking about? But I agree about the "$8 sound". The sad part is that the instruments used for St Anger were not on the cheap side of things. But they sure made the drums sound that way!

I thought St Anger came out very muddy which really buried the songs, and after seeing all the effort and trauma that went into that album on Some Kind of Monster, it was a shame.

I bags being their mediator on this album for the $40k a month the dude in the movie was getting.

These guys are still around!? I guess some people dont know when it's time to quit!

They pretty much died after their Black album! Even though their Black album was on the line. But if they can bring back the music like Battery or Blackened then I will give them another chance! Because during those times they sounded their best!

• 1 month later...

I am probably the only one here that cares. But anywho, as of the 12th, Metallica is back in the studio recording their 9th studio album.

From Metallica.com

Metallica left the comfort of HQ this week to descend upon the greater Los Angeles area to begin recording their 9th original album. This is the first time they've recorded outside of the Bay Area since they spent an eternity at One-On-One Studios recording The Black Album in '90 and '91. The last couple days have been devoted to each band member working out the right sounds, including Lars who remembered to turn on the snare and Kirk who played a solo! The big, shiny red button was finally pushed today - and the wait begins.

The intersting part about all of this is the fact that they are recording in Los Angeles. For those that do not know, the band has spent the better part of their career in the bay area. I hope LA is good luck for the band again and the new album is up there with the great albums they did early on. If anything, it is great for them to be removed from their "HQ" in San Fran and the studio that put out "St Anger". We don't need another one of those albums or the bad karma from the studio that it was recorded in.

Pictures from the studio can be seen at the bands website.

Rock on Metallica! Cant wait for the new songs!

• 4 weeks later...
It was OK, does any one remember what "old school" Metallica sounds like??

'Cause neither of the new songs sound "Old School" to me.

They still sound a bit like "Anger" B-sides to me...

oh, whoah...whoa...whoa....OH, yeah....whoa whoa...???

Although about 2 min. into the second new song, now that sounded like real 'Tallica to me, solo and all.

But then it ended about a min. after that, Oh well.

P All "Oh, whoah...whoa...whoa....oh, yeah...whoa whoa...???"

I know this is like 8 months late but...

This is definitely a step in the right direction. The riffs were good but those lyrics SUCKED!! I hope what was said earlier was right and that those were just "placeholder" lyrics. Here's hoping this album is good, cause it can't be any worse than Saint Anger!

Red"I still can't believe I wasted money on that piece of garbage"B

• 1 year later...