TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Metallica Album

metrock

I know that there are a ton of Metallica haters out there. And that great, if you don't like them, then this topic isn't for you. With that said...

Metallica has been working on a new album for a while now. Ditching their old producer, Bob Rock and bringing on board Rick Rubin is some of the best news. He brought a great sound to them with the Black Album. But after making them sound like total garbage on St Anger, he had to go. They really have it in them to make some old school sounding records. St Anger could have been that way....

Anyways, they took a break from the studio to tour Europe and Asia. Its always greatt to see them on the road. Even if it means that the new album will be delayed. Well, recently they have been playing a "New Song" on tour. And yeah, the name of it for the time being is: "The New Song"

The more I listen, the more I hear elements of the Black Album, Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets. I am totally stoked over here.

Youtube has a ton of videos of "The New Song" The best sound quality is from is an audio rip only. No video. Check it out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ieHXwXhOZCQ&search=new%20song%20metallica

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Rock actually lives on Maui. I used to work on their cars when I worked for a local Lexus dealership a few years back. I honestly believe he's a great producer and a good, fun guy to chat with and share some of his stories. I also believe he was one of the producers trying to get Motely Crue back together awhile back (during the time when Mick Mars was going through his health issues).

Lets hope the 'Talica' band can bring back some of that old magic. Who is the new bassist since Newsted left (and is now on the show-Rockstar with Supernova)? Wasn't the old bass player from Ozzy with Metallica now?

Will the drums actually be in tune this time?

I hope so. IMO the drums ruined St. Anger.

I wasn't to fond of the guitar sound either.( although it sounded fine live )

The guitar sound on the Loads sounded fine, it's just the songs where sub-par.

As for the new song, it's alright, sounds a lot like a "B" side track from "Anger" 8)

P All " We need another 'Justice' !!"

I thought Lars would be more calm now that he has a kid-apparently not.

On a side note, although Metallica has gone through some recent issues as of late and they did a 'reality-type show' on MTV or VH1- I'm curious when the next band will have the same. I nominate the dysfunctional band: Van Halen. God, WTF is happening to this group? It has been probably my favorite band (especially during the DLR-era) and now they can't even put out decent music. Gary Cherone? Please. We want to listen to music, not some back-yard amateur talent contest). Ok enough of the rant. Go 'Talica!

I really did love metallica

Load and Reload were OK, but St Anger was terrible

I think there comes a time when its time to throw in the hat, Metallica still has enough talent to be awesome, the question is if they have the drive to be awesome

The sample was live, so I'll reserve judgement untill I hear the studio recording, but it is alot better than St. Anger

I will be one of the happiest people in the world if they actually make a great album again, but I'm not holding my breath

In the mean time I listen to Perzonal War

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JHmGtSojDSw&search=perzonal%20war

not quite as heavy, but certainly reminds me of Metallica

Yeah I like Metallica, but I guess I do prefer the older stuff. I am one of the few who actually liked St Anger. Though the production values were certianly very lackluster, I was happy that they were trying to get back to a heavier sound. The songs certainly do sound better live than they do on that album (I guess they were trying to record that one like a Garage Day's album, though it actually sounded much worse). Anyways, I think the new bassist, Robert, they hired is really great. If you have not seen him play live yet, you are in for a treat. So far the new song does not do much for me, it could just be the live recording, but I do not think by listening to the studio version will change my mind.

I guess I was never a "true" Metallica fan. I stopped listening to them as soon as the sh*tty St. Anger disc dropped and they started pissing and moaning about the downloading free music thing. Can someone get these guys a box of tampons?

There are just way too many bands that should have stopped releasing music a while ago... I'd rather go out with a bang at a younger age and start shooting commercials like you're supposed to, rather than just fade away as you age with sub-par music.

"Fuel" and "Enter Sandman" are still bomb though... Why couldn't you just keep your style the way it was?

The thing about St Anger, as bad as it sounded; it was what really sent them back to their roots. The album is full of raw energy. Something Load, Re-Load and even the Black Album to a degree, lacked. Since St Anger they have been playing a lot more of the older stuff. That is, material from "...Ride The Lightning" and before. Also songs that had never been played live before such as "Dyers Eve". The entire "Master Of Puppets" album was recently played in it entirety, live.

In an interview, Kirk said that they had tried to do solo's on St Anger but it really didnt work. I am not so sure about that. But what he also said was that he wanted to distance himself from his older solos. And thats totally understandable. How can he top himself?

From the sounds of it, they are going back to the riffs and solos they were known for back in the 80's. but the sound is still new, and fresh. Heck, they are in their 40's. I wouldnt expect anyone to sound the same. Voices do change with age.

I guess I was never a "true" Metallica fan. I stopped listening to them as soon as the sh*tty St. Anger disc dropped and they started pissing and moaning about the downloading free music thing. Can someone get these guys a box of tampons?

Oh they didnt care about the free music "thing". Lars just got pissed off when he heard an unfinished version of "I Disappear" on the radio. Someone from the inside leaked it to Napster and a radio station picked it up. I can understand the frustration. Metallica was always cool with bootlegs. I dont think Lars was worried that they would loose money if people downloaded their songs. It was much more than that.

"Fuel" and "Enter Sandman" are still bomb though... Why couldn't you just keep your style the way it was?

Both songs are good. But they are far from the "style the way it was". That would be more along the line of Kill'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, and Justice. St Anger was closer in sound to those albums than it was to the Black Album or Load. what I am getting to is that MEtallica is going back to the old sound. But Like it said, its with a new twist. Different vocals and arangement.

Robs cool, because he has funny walks

Yeah Rob is awesome. his walking did take a little getting used to though.

Sorry, but as a LONG time listener of Metallica, St. Anger was terrible

and Metallica were not "cool" with the whole bootleg thing, they were straight out assholes, they won't even licence thier music to Itunes, or any other legit music sites

The joy of being a metal lord, and a pompus ass

^^ I never said that "St Anger" was a good album. Anyways, it really does not matter what I say in defense of Metallica. People will always have opinions, positive and negative. This thread was ment to discuss the progress of Metallica's up coming album. Lets try and keep it that way. I think all of us have seen way to many "Metallica sucks because..." topics over the past 5 years. There really isn't any more to say about that.

A bit of more information on the new album: I guess the band is going back to their old style of making an album. On St Anger everything was writen and recorded in the studio, and the same time. This was very much a "test". Given all the issues that the band was going through, that is, Jason leaving the band, James goig to rehab and almost leaving the band; I am suprised that St Anger was even made in the time it was. Most bands would have said f- it. As far as the "old" was off making an album: Everything is written 1st. Ideas are brought into the studio. Tapes of riffs, solos, etc. Once they have everything together, Rick Rubin will come in, tweak some things, and they will record an album.

The album was supposed tto be out this fall or winter. But now I am hearing it will be the middle or the end of next year. Maybe its a good thing they are not rushing things?