TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gravity's affect on time...

So I was browsing Wikipedia the other day (yeah, I'm strange. So what.) and I came across this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_rocket_experiment

Gravity Probe A, launched by NASA in 1976 showed that gravity slows time. If one regularly exposes themselves to zero or negative gravity, do they go through time faster? Would false gravity do the same?

Do credit whores age slower?

Discuss.

-ACE

(BTW, mods - I figured this'd fit here better, since it's only tenously tied to coasters.)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that the pace of time changes...the pace of the clock changes. The atomic clock aboard the launch vessel works by measuring the emission of radiation from the hydrogen inside of it. Apparently, gravity has an effect on the rate of emission, causing the clock to run faster than it should. All they proved was that the hydrogen in that MASER releases more radiation when there is less gravity, not that time itself changes due to gravity. Most of the actual experiment results were probably misinterpreted.

People go to Mars, come back, everyone they know is dead, they're still young.

Summing things up is fun.

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with gravity. It's all about the theory of relaitivity, which talks about how the speed you're traveling affects time. I could go into more detail but I'm too lazy.

People go to Mars, come back, everyone they know is dead, they're still young.

Summing things up is fun.

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with gravity. It's all about the theory of relaitivity, which talks about how the speed you're traveling affects time. I could go into more detail but I'm too lazy.

Right! I was gonna say...didn't Einstein theorize about this (and Hawking adding on to it)?

OKAY.

i think ive figured it out. gravity doesnt affect time because time is a dimension and there is no way that me going into space for year then coming back to earth will have me back on earth in year 2500.

basically, what i am trying to say is: R=K2/G. that forumae represents the common intervenuatilty of the X2 dimension of time's relitivity to earth's contractory forces. if you follow the law of fractualation, you will find that after H/l=wG^6, then it is pretty simple to see how the force F^12/10 doesnt apply to the gravitoral pull on the quazarz.

P.S. (that last paragraph was a load of BS, but i meant the 1st thing i said)

Time can be affected by everything. It's one of the most strange things of the planet. A very simple example: the 5 min. you wait in a queu are exactley as long as the 5 min. in a ride, but in your mind, the 5 min. in the queu are much longer than the 5 min. of ride time! They feel much longer.

Another example: that 0,0001 sec. before you get hit by a car or something appear to last much longer.

What I'm trying to say: time is one of the most subjective AND yet also objective things there are and it wouldn't surprise me if gravity does have an effect on it.

Time can be affected by everything. It's one of the most strange things of the planet. A very simple example: the 5 min. you wait in a queu are exactley as long as the 5 min. in a ride, but in your mind, the 5 min. in the queu are much longer than the 5 min. of ride time! They feel much longer.

Another example: that 0,0001 sec. before you get hit by a car or something appear to last much longer.

What I'm trying to say: time is one of the most subjective AND yet also objective things there are and it wouldn't surprise me if gravity does have an effect on it.

lol. time doesnt actually slow down when you are waiting in line. it 'seems' to slow down because you are bored...

^exactly

Your state of mind alters your perception of time. Minds do not like to sit idle, like while waiting in line. That's where boredom comes in, and makes things seem 10x longer, because your mind is searching for something to occupy itself with. Then, while you're on the ride, your mind is very active, and so you don't notice the passing of time as much.

And about the car accidents, that's just your mind going "WTF!?!?! OMG!!! WE'RE GONNA CRAAAAASH!!"

It's in the eye of the beholder, I suppose

i think if you travel at the speed and in the diretion(sp?) the earth spins time will stop

no...

maybe you are thinking of superman where he flies round the earth backwards and makes it spin the other way, and for some reason that it supposed ot reverse time, which is a load of BS.

• 2 weeks later...