TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Are you afraid of storms ?

Are you afraid of storms ?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Are you afraid of storms ?

• Yes !
    • No !
    • Depends on the kind of storm

I wanted to ask if some people here were afraid of storms, any kind of storms ! I personnaly love thunder storms but some people I know are really afraid of those. I also love to watch tornados building up, but when they're getting stronger I think it's pretty scary . I also think that snow storms are fun to watch, from inside though !

I started to like thunder storms because of my dad. When I was young, when there was a thunderstorm, he would tell me to come and sit with him on the couch to watch the storm from our living room. He'd explain to me how you know how far the storm is, what causes it and every little thing he knew about them...

Vote in the poll and share your experience as of why you like or hate storms !

I think it could be fun to talk about that, or maybe I'm just crazy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE Storms.

When I was in H.S in Va. I was doing an apprenticeship with NASA-Langley Research Center and we traveled to Oklahoma and the tornado-belt states. We ended up "chasing" about 4 or 5 that year and damn that scared the sh*# out of me, but it was such a rush. Almost as fun as riding coasters.

I'm not scared of storms, lightning is pretty cool actually (especially during school wheen all the girls scream haha). But I'm not sure about serious storms with tornadoes and such, since we don't get those in California (or, at least we're not supposed to). Am I scared of earthquakes or grass fires? I try to push the thought of another serious earthquake to the back of my mind, and never really thought about the fires until there was one right behind my house this afternoon...

^ ha yea it is funny when the girls scream. I love anykind of storm really, except I've always had a fear of tornados. When I was in Michigan, however, there was a water spout over lake michigan that we got on videotape, and they're actually really cool. I think an F1 or F2 is enough for me though

Lightning & Thunder are awesome...I still have yet to photograph lightning as it's rare around here. On the other hand, tornadoes would freak me out. A funnel cloud did enough for me. I was standing in a McDonalds parking lot watching the thunderstorm when I see this cloud with a pointy tip point downward...It did that for a few minutes and kinda ripped apart, which I felt relieved. Every once in a while, I do get dreams that there's a twister going and I'm grabbing on for dear life as my legs are off the ground being sucked into the tornado.

Storms are cool. I have experienced a huge thunder storm in Torquay (England) last year with lightning hitting random places for about 6 hours. It was crazy but very good to watch and listen to.

I have never experienced a tornado or hurricane though have felt strong winds and its fun. Though I think if a hurricane or tornado came along I would not be laughing so much.

In terms of death per year, a heat wave causes the most so should we be afraid of these more than storms?

(reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_wave)

I love any kind of storm! If there is a storm where I live, I usaully watch it the whole time when it's at it's strongest. I don't really care for windy rainy storms, but as long as it has thunder, lighning, hail, funnel clouds possible, I usaully stop what I am doing and watch it.

A lot of people think I am crazy, but I would like to be in a hurricane someday. As long as I am in a strong building far away from flooding, I really don't think there is any risk! I would also love to see a tornado some day, it would be thrilling IMO. As long as I keep a safe distance...

It depends for me. Most of the time I'm not afraid of blizzards, but before I broke my pinky, I got caught in down town Winchester during a blizzard. That blizzard was scary because I heard thunder! It was already 1/1/2 feet of snow so I had a hard time running. I ran (walked?) into the nearest store that was open and stayed in there until the thunder stopped.

Thunderstorms only when i'm outside (but the last time I wasn't) or during the night during loud ones.

Other than that, I'm not scared.

It depends on what type of storm, like natural disaster such as: tornado, hurricane, earthquakes ect. I don't care for those. As far as thunder storms go, I think they are quite relaxing to me. Sometimes I like to sit on my porch while "T storms" are brewing, the sheer smell and the ultra fast wind blowing is so relaxing to me. Oddly enough thunder storms help me fall asleep quicker.

Thank goodness I live in Atlanta because I do not like storms. You don't really get many natural disasters here (thank goodness!). Too far south for blizzards, too inland for hurricanes, no tornadoes (usually) rare chance of earthquakes (even though it has happened before about 4 years ago). But really I don't like any kind of storms, but I'm not the one who gets real scared. It really depends on how bad the storm is. Usually I'm not that scared of them during school or in public, I don't know why.

Regular thunderstorms, no. Tornadoes, or any kind of storm that appears to be leading to tornadoes, I'm terrified. Been terrified of them my whole life. I pray that I never see one in person because I'd probably be so scared that I wouldn't survive!

-Julie

Same here, I don't mind floods or wind or lightning, but tornadoes just scare me because i've heard one in real life (didn't see it because it was really dark and all the power was out) but man...never again.