TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Japan (USJ) Discussion Thread

p. 45: Donkey Kong Country announced for 2024!

I think they're still hoping to host it, hence the state of emergencies being used around Japan. I also don't see it happening but with all the money already invested and jobs promised they'll try everything they can before it gets cancelled. There is insurance but there have been estimates that a cancellation could cost Japan up to $50 billion.

Even taking the next slot or next open slot causes a lot of issues in terms of maintaining everything, having to redo all the logistics and planning especially since the next open slot is 2032, but it's hard to gather how much a delay would cost until a date is decided and after the games have finally happened. One of the reasons it's still called Tokyo 2020 is because of the cost of re-branding, merchandising etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The mario kart ride is certainly going to divide opinions! 

SPOILERS BELOW

====================================

From watching the POV it's certainly less coaster and more physical sets than I was expecting! I was surprised at how much stuff they'd actually made real, I was assuming the AR would be carrying a lot and leaning more towards VR but it's really well integrated with the sets. You could easily ride this without the glasses and still have a passable experience no worse than some regional dark rides 🤣 The Magikoopa corridor is a favourite, although the AR kinda masks a lot of it!

It's slower than I thought, but the projections and AR will certainly make it seem a lot faster than it really is. The projections are well done and, aside from the obvious screens, fairly subtle. The rainbow road floor looks particularly swish and I adore the way the winner glides almost seamlessly between the AR glasses and the projection screen beyond at the end of the ride.

Got to say that going for a tracked ride based on mario kart seems an odd choice given the trackless masterpieces we've seen elsewhere?

====================================

SPOILERS ABOVE

Overall the area looks really nice, the powerbands are a really interesting idea especially with locations all round the area to collect points.

I've probably been the most negative one on this board at the Mario Kart ride, but even I'm not going to judge an AR ride until I've rode it. I think it's one of those rides where a POV just can't accurately convey what you are seeing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Garet said:

I've probably been the most negative one on this board at the Mario Kart ride, but even I'm not going to judge an AR ride until I've rode it. I think it's one of those rides where a POV just can't accurately convey what you are seeing.

For sure, I was trying to avoid making any judgements about the experience as whole and just focus on what's there and what you can see in the POV. :) I just mentioned dividing opinions because I know some people were expecting a coaster of some kind rather than a tracked dark ride, and they're probably gonna be a bit miffed 😛  

I gotta say, I think the absolute lack of discussion about anything Nintendo-world related, rides or otherwise, in the weeks since it has opened says much more than any forum ever could.  Overall it seems to be going over like a big, wet fart.

Then again, us westerners are much more vocal in our opinions than the local Japanese population, so it could be amazing and we're just not hearing it because of Covid preventing worthwhile travel.  Judging by what I've seen, though, I'm leaning hard into the big, wet fart option.

Edit - So I've been away from everything for over a month due to family issues and it looks like it never actually opened to the public yet?  It was just videos taken during the press preview that were posted on the original opening date, per their media restrictions, I guess?

^ I honestly believe, that with all the publicity that USJ started putting out in the world, they got very carried away with the "racing" theme of this attraction. Then, as opening day approached, they started pulling back on that description, and went into more of the tech for this ride. The VR overlay, etc.

The fact that it was/is basically, another dark ride, I guess a lot of Western Universal Fans put Way More Expectation into it. than they should have.

IMhO. My 7 (?) cents worth. 😀

By the way, has anyone asked the general local population about this new land, and told the rest of the world how they like it? Or not? Thought I'd ask. 🗻

I'm not sure we'd see much discussion anyway 🤷🏾‍♀️ I think even at the best of times western forums are an echo chamber and there is never normally that much discussion about parks in the east compared to those in America. International borders are closed, Osaka is still in a state of emergency, the land isn't even officially opened and so I am not sure from where else we'd be hearing about it. 

East rarely meets west in the world of enthusiasts and the few Japanese forums/channels I follow seem to be loving the land. I can't bring myself to ignore all that and dismiss the land as a wet fart. 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2021 at 3:36 PM, KBrylczyk said:

I gotta say, I think the absolute lack of discussion about anything Nintendo-world related, rides or otherwise, in the weeks since it has opened says much more than any forum ever could.  Overall it seems to be going over like a big, wet fart.

Then again, us westerners are much more vocal in our opinions than the local Japanese population, so it could be amazing and we're just not hearing it because of Covid preventing worthwhile travel.  Judging by what I've seen, though, I'm leaning hard into the big, wet fart option.

Edit - So I've been away from everything for over a month due to family issues and it looks like it never actually opened to the public yet?  It was just videos taken during the press preview that were posted on the original opening date, per their media restrictions, I guess?

Most of the world can’t visit, so it’s not surprising there isn’t much theme park nerd discussion on it yet. There’s only a few English speaking theme park blogs/YouTubers out there.  It’s still in soft opening phase right now too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Super Nintendo World will now officially open on March 18:

image.thumb.png.8e73bf4c847e1ac663cf5f0f87dcabd4.png

"WE ARE MARIO!"
Guests will Unleash their Passion to Play at the World’s First New Expansive Nintendo Theme Park Area
"SUPER NINTENDO WORLD"
GRAND OPENING MARCH 18, 2021!

https://www.usj.co.jp/company/company_e/2021/0308.html

Universal Studios Japan will hold its grand opening of the world’s first SUPER NINTENDO WORLD on March 18, 2021*2 – bringing to life a highly themed and immersive land featuring Nintendo’s legendary worlds, characters and adventures where guests will be able to play inside their favorite Nintendo games. The grand opening of SUPER NINTENDO WORLD will kick off the park’s year-long 20th Anniversary Celebration.

SUPER NINTENDO WORLD will make its debut as the first multi-level land at Universal Studios Japan where Peach’s Castle and Bowser’s Castle tower over the area. It will feature Mario Kart- and Yoshi-themed rides and attractions, as well as restaurants, shops and other experiences that can only be found at Universal Studios Japan.

It also provides guests with an all-new type of "Asobi" play experience where they will jump, punch ? Blocks and collect virtual coins. Guests can purchase a Power-Up Band in the land and sync it to their smartphones to keep track of their score and compete with other park guests. At Key Challenge attractions around the land, guests can collect keys, gather character stamps and more using their entire bodies in dynamic activities. Families and friends will unleash their passion to play in the new SUPER NINTENDO WORLD.

Edited by A.J.
Updated with official press release and image - A.J.

• 1 month later...

Today, Universal Studios Japan has decided to temporarily close our park due to the substantial business shutdown request to operate with no spectators which was issued under the state of emergency for Osaka prefecture. The temporary closure will start from April 25th, 2021 and remain until the request has been lifted.

We sincerely apologize for causing any inconvenience to our guests who were looking forward to visiting us. Detailed instructions regarding previously purchased tickets will be listed on our official website tonight.

Universal Studios Japan Official Website: https://www.usj.co.jp/

We will announce the re-opening date once decided

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

The Precaution Measures at Universal Studios Japan

Universal Studios Japan was temporarily closed from February 29th through June 7th last year to support the prevention of the Covid-19 spread. Since then, we have participated in organizing and updating the “Novel Coronavirus Spread Prevention Guidelines for Theme Parks and Amusement Parks'' together with various corporations and related organizations.

After the initial temporary closure, our park had moderately re-started its operation from June 8th, 2020. The health and safety of our guests and team members continue to be our top priority, we have thorough sanitization enhancement measures such as controlling the attendance capacity within the park in accordance with the said guideline and guidance from the government and local authorities.

Even though we are now closing temporarily for the second time to follow the request from the government and the local authorities, we are still willing to work towards supporting the quick recovery of the economic activities and the tourism and entertainment industry.

Source

• Sad 1

this made news here in Texas even.

hopefully can get back under control quickly. . but I was sad to read, since I was still hoping to perhaps make it to Japan in 2021.

but thinking now, it's likely looking like 2022 :(

I'm assuming they're being extra-cautious because they don't want to have to delay the Olympics again.  Japan, a country of 126 million people, has only had around 560,000 COVID cases (0.4% infection rate) and under 10,.000 deaths (0.17% death-from-infection date).  Compare that to 9.7% and 1.7%, respectively for the US.  I predict they'll be a lot more open after early August and the Olympics are over.

^ I don't even think it's that. Anti-Olympic feelings are quite high in Japan lately, with more and more seeing it as an unnecessary risk so it's a bit of a political hotspot right now. Damned if they do cancel for all the money wasted, damned if they don't because if the numbers spike during the event people will say it shouldn't have gone ahead.

I think it's more a case of each area has an acceptable limit and if that limit is passed they go into instant shutdown since this is what they did for the previous waves and the numbers went down, it's more a case of if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Osaka's passed that limit so USJ has shut down. If this was a case of being extra cautious before the Olympics, like they said was the reason for the last big lockdown, they'd have shut down nationwide to err on the side of caution and currently places like Tokyo Disney, Fuji Q and Nagashima are all still open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Obviously numbers are subjective.  We would KILL to have the numbers Japan has, and yet they're shutting down certain prefectures because of them. They're approaching their highest numbers ever and they're supposed to host a giant international event soon.  It's really a no win situation.  They're not going to be able to get any of the benefits of the olympics and only have extra costs and drama. 

^ Yep and a lot of Asia was super late to the vaccination race so for places like Japan and Korea (Japan is sitting at 2% vaccinated and Korea 5% right now) who are fighting to not have their 4th waves be bigger than the initial outbreak, while also watching other countries slowly reopen places and relax restrictions, 2021 is looking worse to them than 2020.

• 1 month later...

Due to the State of Emergency, Universal Studios Japan has been temporarily closed since April 25, 2021. Universal Studios Japan will reopen on June 1, 2021 and will operate at a reduced capacity on weekdays only until further notice.

Universal Studios Japan will continue to implement enhanced health and safety protocols and capacity control measures while Osaka Prefecture remains under a State of Emergency and thereafter. Universal Studios Japan will encourage guests to depart the theme park at varied times to avoid congestion. Indoor dining dividers were also installed at restaurants throughout the park.

In support of Universal Studios Japan’s commitment of the prevention of the spread of COVID-19, all team members other than essential operational team members will continue to work from home.

◼Park Reopening information:

Reopening date: Weekdays only beginning June 1st, 2021 until further notice.

Operating hours:10 am to 6 pm

* For safety measures and ticket information, please visit our official website(https://www.usj.co.jp/)prior to your visit.

* Please follow the guidelines issued by the local authorities of your residing areas and carefully consider your visit.

* Wearing face masks is required at all times inside the park. Please bring your own face masks when visiting the park.

Safety Measures at Universal Studios Japan

Since April 2020, Universal Studios Japan has participated in organizing and updating the “Novel Coronavirus Spread Prevention Guidelines for Theme Parks and Amusement Parks'' together with various corporations and related organizations.

The health and safety of our guests and team members continue to be our top priority. Universal Studios Japan has thorough sanitization enhancement measures and capacity controls in accordance with said guidelines and guidance from the government and local authorities. Universal Studios Japan will continue to work towards supporting the quick recovery of the economic activities and the tourism and entertainment industry.

Source

^ I'm amazed that for now, they're still going ahead with the Tokyo Olympic Games this summer.

And I hope that Universal Osaka gets better and improves with each passing week. For all concerned.

⛩️

• 1 month later...

It appears construction is moving at pace on phase 2 of Super Nintendo World which is expected to include a Donkey Kong coaster. It will be located between the Mario Kart and Forbidden Journey showbuildings to the top right of the existing land.

I do love Universal's 'get s*** done' approach to expanding their parks, especially with the pandemic ongoing.

PUSJJJJ.thumb.jpg.8717b160899e9479fdd72725197dc218.jpg

Source: @PUSJJJJ on Twitter

LCASTUDIOS_USJ.thumb.jpeg.68457556ba9ccb4042d0027eb7805d1f.jpeg

Source: @LCASTUDIOS_USJ on Twitter

LCASTUDIOS_USJ-2.thumb.jpeg.24e86fc77d223b853f5400d397be7218.jpeg

Source: @LCASTUDIOS_USJ on Twitter

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some Goomba's fell over on the Yoshi ride. Thankfully it missed the riders because they look heavy: 

In any other country this probably wouldn't be a big deal, but considering how safety conscious Japan is, it'll be interesting to see if they return. It happened August 9th and we did have a typhoon in the area so potentially that could have been a cause. The ride did apparently close for safety checks but is open again now, minus Goombas.

• 1 month later...

image.thumb.png.a4d1d2314e266f67343df9b852fbffdb.png

SUPER NINTENDO WORLD™ EXPANSION WORLD’S FIRST DONKEY KONG THEMED AREA SET TO OPEN IN 2024

https://www.usj.co.jp/company/company_e/2021/0928.html?fbclid=IwAR1wtzmcFpXMoLM272yXhOCbnB-wozG0xRysHRpRF1wWoyjcRB8_Ue9JKWc

Since its opening, SUPER NINTENDO WORLD at Universal Studios Japan has gained worldwide attention from fans and guests who continue to level up with excitement while experiencing the land’s rides, interactive themed entertainment and game play featuring iconic Nintendo characters.

To further immerse guests into Nintendo’s well-known series of games, Universal Studios Japan will expand the land to include a new area themed after Donkey Kong. The new area will bring to life the world of one of Nintendo’s most beloved games and feature a roller coaster, interactive experiences, themed merchandise and food – and all the fun and excitement of SUPER NINTENDO WORLD. Guests will feel like they are playing inside the world of Donkey Kong as they take a walk on the wild side through the lush jungles where Donkey Kong and his friends live. The new area is set to open in 2024.

Nintendo’s Donkey Kong franchise started with an arcade game in 1981 and quickly captured the hearts of fans around the world. Since then, the Donkey Kong game series has continually delivered more games on Nintendo video game systems, such as the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Wii, and Nintendo Switch. The series has sold over 65 million units (as of March 2021) worldwide to generations of fans.

The Universal creative team and the Nintendo creative team — including Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Super Mario — will bring the new Donkey Kong themed area to life. The area will be a gamechanger that combines the innovative technology and globally popular approach to theme park entertainment of Universal with the creativity of Nintendo. With the addition of the Donkey Kong area, SUPER NINTENDO WORLD at Universal Studios Japan will increase in size by approximately 70%.

J.L. Bonnier, President & CEO, Universal Studios Japan: SUPER NINTENDO WORLD creates a whole new level of theme park entertainment and has quickly become an exciting, must-do experience for our guests. We are thrilled to continue working with Nintendo as we fulfill our vision to bring their characters and stories to life. Our new Donkey Kong themed area will bring even more excitement and fun to the SUPER NINTENDO WORLD experience.

Shigeru Miyamoto, Representative Director, Fellow of Nintendo: I am very happy to be able to make the world of Donkey Kong a reality following the world of Mario. I am looking forward to creating a thrilling Donkey Kong experience with the amazing team at Universal. It will take some time until it is completed, but it will be a unique area for not only people who are familiar with Donkey Kong games, but for all guests.

image.png.b6dd2e60b5e38843cf0d48cc18d11ee2.png

--

I got excited that this picture shows a nice patch to the right of Donkey Kong for a future (Zelda?) 3rd expansion, but looking at pictures above it seems that's actually where the Mario Kart building is.

• Like 2

I saw posted on the TPR FB group that USJ has quietly shut down the Great Race coaster.

any idea what's going on with that?    did they lose the Peanuts license ? (I really hope not, as losing the Snoopy / Dumbo would really wipe out an iconic ride at the entrance to the kiddie land).

or maybe turning that indoor section into something else?    since everything else there is Sesame Street

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG